Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default May well be a bad winter-But a good Stew/Soup Winter

You favorites?

Mine-beef stew: potatoes, carrots, meat in a pressure cooker w/a can of
tomato soup. I don't have a pressure cooker-Mom's recipe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> You favorites?
>
> Mine-beef stew: potatoes, carrots, meat in a pressure cooker w/a can of
> tomato soup. I don't have a pressure cooker-Mom's recipe.

Beef pot roast done on stove top, simmering all afternoon. Chunks of
carrots and small whole potatoes added at the end.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Kswck" > wrote:

> Your favorites?

Pork Chops Braised in Cider with Apples

from the StL Post Dispatch

Pat dry

8 lean pork chops (approximately 3 lbs)

Rub both sides generously with

fresh ground black pepper
2 * 3 tsp dried thyme

Spread

1/2 cup flour

on a plate. Coat each chop with flour shaking off access. Heat a
skillet with a thin coating of oil. Add enough chops to cover surface
of pan in a single layer. Brown both sides. Remove to plate.

If any access oil remains, drain to a couple of table spoons. Add

1 medium onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped

Saute to tender, about 5 minutes. Return pork to pan. Add

2 3/4 cups chicken stock
1 3/4 cups apple cider

Stir occasionally while simmering for 60-70 minutes, until very tender.

While simmering, heat

2 Tbsp butter

in a skillet. Heat

3-4 tart apples, peeled and sliced

until lightly browned and tender, about 5 minutes. Set aside.

When meat is done, arrange in a baking dish. Season with pepper if
desired. If sauce in pan is still runny, reduce to thicken. Pour over
meat. Sprinkle with

1 cup cheese, shredded; cheddar, havarti or jarlsberg suggested

Scatter apples over cheese. Brown in broiler, approximately 3 minutes.
Sprinkle with parsley.

-=-=-=-=-=-

If making in advance, reheat in oven 15-20 minutes at 350° before adding
cheese and apples and placing in the broiler.

jt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> You favorites?
>
> Mine-beef stew: potatoes, carrots, meat in a pressure cooker w/a can of
> tomato soup. I don't have a pressure cooker-Mom's recipe.

Winter cooking:

Stew:
Browned meat, onions, celery, carrots, a can of chopped tomatoes,
a cup of red wine,couple of cloves of garlic if I remember, all
in a LeCreuset dutch oven, either on the stovetop or in the oven.
Various herbs. Add potatoes halfway through cooking. Simmer till tender.
Serve with corn muffins or sliced French baguette.

Stewed Chicken with rice
Chicken soup
Beef-vegetable soup, w. barley or not
Roast chicken
Chili
Chicken chili
Green chili with pork
Spaghetti sauce (in various combinations)

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 29, 5:58*pm, "Kswck" > wrote:
> You favorites?
>
> Mine-beef stew: potatoes, carrots, meat in a pressure cooker w/a can of
> tomato soup. I don't have a pressure cooker-Mom's recipe.

Ribollita! Italian soup with bits of pancetta, cannelini beans,
carrots, spinach & tomato in broth. Very hearty & warming on a cold
night.

Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 29, 8:24*pm, "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
> "Janet Bostwick" > om:in rec.food.cooking
>

> > "Kswck" > wrote in message
> >> You favorites?

> >> Mine-beef stew: potatoes, carrots, meat in a pressure cooker w/a can of
> >> tomato soup. I don't have a pressure cooker-Mom's recipe.

> > Beef pot roast done on stove top, simmering all afternoon. *Chunks of
> > carrots and small whole potatoes added at the end.

> Now that just made me hungry again I also like Swiss steak.
>
> Michael
>
> --
> “Always tell the truth - it's the easiest thing to remember”
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ~ American Playwright David Mamet
>
> You can find me at: - michael at lonergan dot us dot com

Thanks for the ideas! I bet I can eat most of these even with no
teeth!. I had chili today. Swiss Steak should work if I really cook
it low and slow. I make the kind with tomato - not the one with
mushrooms and brown gravy (I use that recipe for meatballs with
noodles or mashed potatoes.)
Lynn in Fargo
Making a pilgrimage to the Farmers Market. Gonna make fresh vegetable
and beef soup with parsnips, rutabaga, green beans, carrots, celery,
onions, cabbage, corn, peas, baby potatoes, zuchinni, and
dumplings . . . no turnips!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:

> You favorites?
>
> Mine-beef stew: potatoes, carrots, meat in a pressure cooker w/a can of
> tomato soup. I don't have a pressure cooker-Mom's recipe.

As I sit here in my sweltering office with 100°F heat outside, I am not
exactly thinking about winter meals! But here are some I recall:

Braised short ribs with Guinness
Cottage pie from the leftover short ribs
Chili (especially on Super Bowl Sunday)
Lin's ham, cabbage, and potato soup
Damsel's spicy split pea soup with pepperoni
Braised spare ribs
Pastitsio
Portuguese caldo
Chinese "Master Sauce" pork
Leg of lamb braised with cumin, chiles, and orange peel
Pot-a-feu
Coq au vin
Chicken and dumplings
Braised lamb shanks
Braised oxtails
Sukiyaki

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 29, 5:58*pm, "Kswck" > wrote:
> You favorites?
>
> Mine-beef stew: potatoes, carrots, meat in a pressure cooker w/a can of
> tomato soup. I don't have a pressure cooker-Mom's recipe.

I'm a fan of vegetable bean soup. My Mom's recipe stands us in good
stead, makes 3 or 4 quarts, and freezes well when we get tired of it.
So darned healthy it'll kill you.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Kswck wrote:
>
>> You favorites?
>>
>> Mine-beef stew: potatoes, carrots, meat in a pressure cooker w/a can of
>> tomato soup. I don't have a pressure cooker-Mom's recipe.

> As I sit here in my sweltering office with 100°F heat outside, I am not
> exactly thinking about winter meals! But here are some I recall:
>
> Braised short ribs with Guinness
> Cottage pie from the leftover short ribs
> Chili (especially on Super Bowl Sunday)
> Lin's ham, cabbage, and potato soup
> Damsel's spicy split pea soup with pepperoni
> Braised spare ribs
> Pastitsio
> Portuguese caldo
> Chinese "Master Sauce" pork
> Leg of lamb braised with cumin, chiles, and orange peel
> Pot-a-feu
> Coq au vin
> Chicken and dumplings
> Braised lamb shanks
> Braised oxtails
> Sukiyaki
>

> Bob

I don't think there is that much winter to go around ;o}
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

>> Braised short ribs with Guinness
>> Cottage pie from the leftover short ribs
>> Chili (especially on Super Bowl Sunday)
>> Lin's ham, cabbage, and potato soup
>> Damsel's spicy split pea soup with pepperoni
>> Braised spare ribs
>> Pastitsio
>> Portuguese caldo
>> Chinese "Master Sauce" pork
>> Leg of lamb braised with cumin, chiles, and orange peel
>> Pot-a-feu
>> Coq au vin
>> Chicken and dumplings
>> Braised lamb shanks
>> Braised oxtails
>> Sukiyaki

> I don't think there is that much winter to go around ;o}

Yeah, maybe it would have to be spread out over two or three winters. If
only I had a house in New Zealand where I could spend this time of year!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote in
on Aug Sat 2009 pm

> "Kswck" > :
> in rec.food.cooking
>
>> You favorites?
>>
>> Mine-beef stew: potatoes, carrots, meat in a pressure cooker w/a can
>> of tomato soup. I don't have a pressure cooker-Mom's recipe.

> I like so many of them. I'm a soup and stew person. Beef stew is
> great. I love squash soup, potato soup, pork stew, chicken soup, chili
> verde and so many others. Too many to list.
>
> Michael

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Al's Bean And Sausage Soup

Soups/Chowders/Stews

2 tablespoons canola oil
1 pound kielbasa sausage, diced
4 large garlic cloves, chopped (7)
1 bulb fennel; chopped
1 onion; chopped
2 carrots; chopped
10 large Button mushrooms; chopped
1 celery heart with leaves
1 small bag spinach leaves or 1/2 small cabbage
3 900 ml box chicken broth
4 cups water; plus
2 tbsp redibase turkey stock
2 15 oz cans can navy beans
1 15 oz can can diced tomatoes with herbs
1 500ml ctner sour cream
1 tbsp crushed red peppers; heaping
1 bunch fresh dill; mjnced

Heat oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and
garlic and sauté until sausage is lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add in
crushed peppers,fennel,onion, carrot, mushrooms and celery,;cook about 5
minutes more. Add broth, water, turkey stock navy beans with their juices
and spinach. Simmer until flavors blend and soup thickens slightly, about
20 minutes. Stir in the sour cream and dill simmer 5 more minutes. Season
to taste with salt and pepper.

Ladle soup into bowls.

10-3 cup servings approx

Replacing the spinach with cabbage works well.

could use more sour cream

Is that your nose, or are you eatting a banana? -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 29, 10:03 pm, Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig >
wrote:
> On Aug 29, 8:24 pm, "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

> > > Beef pot roast done on stove top, simmering all afternoon. Chunks of
> > > carrots and small whole potatoes added at the end.

> > Now that just made me hungry again I also like Swiss steak.

> > Michael

> > --
> > “Always tell the truth - it's the easiest thing to remember”
> > ~ American Playwright David Mamet

> > You can find me at: - michael at lonergan dot us dot com

> Thanks for the ideas! I bet I can eat most of these even with no
> teeth!. I had chili today. Swiss Steak should work if I really cook
> it low and slow. I make the kind with tomato - not the one with
> mushrooms and brown gravy (I use that recipe for meatballs with
> noodles or mashed potatoes.)
> Lynn in Fargo
> Making a pilgrimage to the Farmers Market. Gonna make fresh vegetable
> and beef soup with parsnips, rutabaga, green beans, carrots, celery,
> onions, cabbage, corn, peas, baby potatoes, zuchinni, and
> dumplings . . . no turnips!

Parsnip and rutabaga, but the turnip is barred from the party? How
about a swede? The soup sounds great, and , of course, I'm not going
to argue about personal taste. I'm just curious about how you draw
your hard line between the roots.

Bulka

Bulka
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 29, 8:52 pm, Gloria P > wrote:

> garlic if I remember

"If I remember'' garlic in a winter stew? I'm speachless.

Bulka

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In the winter, my slow cooker barely gets time to cool off for a quick
cleaning, unless I feel the need for some waste heat from the range
oven. Never been a fan of recipies - I'll read' em but won't follow
them, so every time is different depending on today's inspiration and
what I have on hand.

Even in the summer there is usually homede stock and an evolving pot
of some soup/stew.

Is there a Hot, Wet Food movement?

Bulka
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris > wrote:

> Ribollita! Italian soup with bits of pancetta, cannelini beans,
> carrots, spinach & tomato in broth. Very hearty & warming on a cold
> night.

That's convalescent fare, an emaciated minestrone perhaps, but not
ribollita.

Here is the real ribillita, from
<http://www.divinacucina.com/code/ribollita.html>

Victor

Ribollita (Tuscan Vegetable and Bread Soup)

Tuscan cuisine is famous for giving new life to leftovers. This dish is
a perfect example. An icon of Tuscan cuisine, ribollita literally means
"reboiled." It's difficult to find an authentic ribolitta because it
takes 3 days to prepare. Minestrone is made the first day and eaten as
is. The second day the leftover soup is layered with thin slices of
bread (or toasted bread rubbed with garlic) and baked with thin slices
of red onion on top. The third day the leftovers are reboiled.

Recipes for minestrone vary from region to region, restaurant to
restaurant, and household to household. Most recipes are based upon
regional produce. The most important ingredient is Tuscan minestrone is
cavolo nero, or a winter black cabbage. Its leaves range in color from
dark green to almost black. Once grown only in Tuscany, enterprising
farmers in California's Salinas Valley are now growing it along with
Royal Rose radicchio. If you cannot find black cabbage, substitute
kale, chard, or use only Savoy cabbage.

Here's the recipe!

4 tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
1 leek, white part only, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
4 carrots, sliced into half-inch rounds
4 zucchini, sliced into half-inch rounds
One-quarter whole Savoy cabbage, shredded and chopped
1 bunch cavolo nero or kale
1 small bunch spinach, shredded and chopped
4 potatoes, peeled and cut into one-half inch cubes
1 cup green beans, cut into bite-size pieces
2 cups Tuscan white beans, one-half cup pureed and one-half cup whole
2 tablespoons coarse sea salt or kosher salt
4 tablespoons tomato paste
1 pound stale Italian bread, sliced

Heat the olive oil in a large pot and sauté the onion and leek together
over low heat until they begin to burn slightly. Add the garlic and
sauté for 1 minute. Add all the remaining vegetables. Season with sea
salt and stir to mix in the onions and leeks evenly. Cover and cook for
20 minutes or until the vegetables have reduced in volume by half. Stir
again and cover with water to the top of the pot. The more water you
add, the more broth you will have with the soup. Bring to a boil and
then lower the heat. Add the tomato paste and stir to dissolve. Cover
and cook the soup for 1 hour. Add the Tuscan beans.

This is the minestrone soup. The next day layer the soup in a deep
baking dish with the stale bread and bake. Top with thinly sliced red
onions before baking.

The next day, if there's any soup left over, reboil the soup, stirring
well to break up the bread slices. The soup should be thick enough to
eat with a fork! It's served with the traditional drizzle of extra
virgin olive oil on top.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" ha scritto nel messaggio
> You favorites?
>
> Mine-beef stew: potatoes, carrots, meat in a pressure cooker w/a can of
> tomato soup. I don't have a pressure cooker-Mom's recipe.

Mine is a pork with green chillies stew served with big hominy. My supply
of green chillies and hominy are rare and previous, so only my chosen people
get to eat it with me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine" ha scritto nel messaggio
On Aug 29, 5:58 pm, "Kswck" wrote:
> You favorites?

I'm a fan of vegetable bean soup. My Mom's recipe stands us in good stead,
makes 3 or 4 quarts, and freezes well when we get tired of it.So darned
healthy it'll kill you.

maxine in ri

But in New England I loved fish chowder and clam ch9owder, always made a day
in advance. Seriously good winter meals.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" ha scritto nel messaggio
> Kris wrote:
>
>> Ribollita!

> Here is the real ribillita, from
> <http://www.divinacucina.com/code/ribollita.html>

Judy is a good friend of mine and knows Tuscan food so well she puts the
Italians to shame. If you would like to learn from her, she will be
teaching at Cabo San Lucas part of this winter. (Or you can come to Italy
if you prefer, cuz it is not a bad idea at all.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Aug 29, 8:24 pm, "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
>

> > "Janet Bostwick" >
> > m:inrec.food.cooking

> > > Beef pot roast done on stove top, simmering all afternoon. Chunks of
> > > carrots and small whole potatoes added at the end.

> > Now that just made me hungry again I also like Swiss steak.

> > Michael

> > --
> > "Always tell the truth - it's the easiest thing to remember"
> > ~ American Playwright David
> > Mamet

> > You can find me at: - michael at lonergan dot us dot com

> Thanks for the ideas! I bet I can eat most of these even with no
> teeth!. I had chili today. Swiss Steak should work if I really cook
> it low and slow. I make the kind with tomato - not the one with
> mushrooms and brown gravy (I use that recipe for meatballs with
> noodles or mashed potatoes.)
> Lynn in Fargo
> Making a pilgrimage to the Farmers Market. Gonna make fresh vegetable
> and beef soup with parsnips, rutabaga, green beans, carrots, celery,
> onions, cabbage, corn, peas, baby potatoes, zuchinni, and
> dumplings . . . no turnips!

Parsnip and rutabaga, but the turnip is barred from the party? How
about a swede? The soup sounds great, and , of course, I'm not going
to argue about personal taste. I'm just curious about how you draw
your hard line between the roots.

I don't know about Lynn, but I find the flavour of turnips disgusting,
whereas I love rutabaga and parsnips One small piece of turnip flavours
an entire meal and I can taste it

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi > wrote:

> "Victor Sack" ha scritto nel messaggio
> >
> > Here is the real ribillita, from
> > <http://www.divinacucina.com/code/ribollita.html>

> Judy is a good friend of mine and knows Tuscan food so well she puts the
> Italians to shame.

So it appears. The recipes at her site are very good indeed - all of
them. The ribollita one can also be found at
<http://www.agriturismoitaly.it/english/cucina/toscana.htm>. I wonder
where it really comes from.

> If you would like to learn from her, she will be
> teaching at Cabo San Lucas part of this winter. (Or you can come to Italy
> if you prefer, cuz it is not a bad idea at all.)

I'm sure I can learn a lot from her - or from you, for that matter.
Going to Mexico, or even to Italy, does not appear doable this winter,
though.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" ha scritto nel messaggio
> Giusi wrote:
>> > <http://www.divinacucina.com/code/ribollita.html>

>> Judy is a good friend of mine and knows Tuscan food so well she puts the
>> Italians to shame.

> So it appears. The recipes at her site are very good indeed - all of>
> them. The ribollita one can also be found
> at<http://www.agriturismoitaly.it/english/cucina/toscana.htm>. I wonder>
> where it really comes from.

That version is Judy's recipe. The agglomerator has ripped it off--
something that happens to everyone who publishes food and recipes and
photos. At least folks like San Pellegrino ask before taking.

>> If you would like to learn from her, she will be
>> teaching at Cabo San Lucas part of this winter. (Or you can come to
>> Italy>> if you prefer, cuz it is not a bad idea at all.)

> I'm sure I can learn a lot from her - or from you, for that matter.> Going
> to Mexico, or even to Italy, does not appear doable this winter,> though.

You are very kind. I am more of an Italian-generalist than Judy, with an
eye on a lot of regions and I am off to study in Puglia in a couple of
weeks.

Mexico is a great idea for the USians. Judy is a dedicated Tuscan cook who
has lived here and worked here more than 2 decades. She also has started
doing some Sicilian cookery and publishing that, too. She is very admired
and loved here among her peers. A more generous cook you can never know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Victor Sack" ha scritto nel messaggio

BTW, the reason I KNOW it is Judy's recipe is her writing style, which I
know extremely well. I once offered to vet her cookbook manuscript to
remove exclamation points.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> Mine is a pork with green chillies stew served with big hominy. My supply
> of green chillies and hominy are rare and previous, so only my chosen people
> get to eat it with me.

If that isn't a version of posole, I'd eat my hat if I had one.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell"
> "Giusi" wrote:
>
>> Mine is a pork with green chillies stew served with big hominy. My
>> supply of green chillies and hominy are rare and previous, so only my
>> chosen people >> get to eat it with me.

> If that isn't a version of posole, I'd eat my hat if I had one.
>
> leo

It is, and I may be the only person in Italy who makes it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi > wrote:

> >> Judy is a good friend of mine and knows Tuscan food so well she puts the
> >> Italians to shame.

> > So it appears. The recipes at her site are very good indeed - all of>
> > them. The ribollita one can also be found
> > at<http://www.agriturismoitaly.it/english/cucina/toscana.htm>. I wonder>
> > where it really comes from.

> That version is Judy's recipe. The agglomerator has ripped it off--
> something that happens to everyone who publishes food and recipes and
> photos. At least folks like San Pellegrino ask before taking.

Yes, I can readily believe this. The rfc FAQ has been ripped off in its
entirety or in parts a number of times, but I think I've got rid of most
such "borrowings." Also, a post of mine listing typical Ligurian dishes
once appeared in its entirety on a perfectly plausible, well-made Web
site offering information about things Ligurian. That site is no more.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jt august > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Kswck" > wrote:
>
> > Your favorites?

> Pork Chops Braised in Cider with Apples

<snipped>

Geeze that sounds good! I've saved that recipe, thanks. :-)
I rarely cook with apples but I've used them in savory dishes in the
past. They really do work.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> jt august > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> "Kswck" > wrote:
>>
>> > Your favorites?

>> Pork Chops Braised in Cider with Apples

> <snipped>
>
> Geeze that sounds good! I've saved that recipe, thanks. :-)
> I rarely cook with apples but I've used them in savory dishes in the
> past. They really do work.

Always great with pork. Now I don't know if your apple sauce is similar to
ours... we can get it in a jar with lumps of apple in it and it is fairly
sloppy.... but I mince/grind pork to make sausage meat and stir in some
apple sauce. Yummie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:

> You favorites?
>
> Mine-beef stew: potatoes, carrots, meat in a pressure cooker w/a can
> of tomato soup. I don't have a pressure cooker-Mom's recipe.

Pot roasts, chicken/veggie soups, beef/lamb/chicken curries and (my
version of) lasagna <g>.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om wrote:

> I rarely cook with apples but I've used them in savory dishes in the
> past. They really do work.

You'd probably like that Persian quince stew recipe I posted earlier, then.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bulka" > wrote in message
On Aug 29, 10:03 pm, Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig >
wrote:
snip

> Lynn in Fargo
> Making a pilgrimage to the Farmers Market. Gonna make fresh vegetable
> and beef soup with parsnips, rutabaga, green beans, carrots, celery,
> onions, cabbage, corn, peas, baby potatoes, zuchinni, and
> dumplings . . . no turnips!

Parsnip and rutabaga, but the turnip is barred from the party? How
about a swede? The soup sounds great, and , of course, I'm not going
to argue about personal taste. I'm just curious about how you draw
your hard line between the roots.

Bulka

I thought a Swede was a rutabaga???
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig" wrote

> Thanks for the ideas! I bet I can eat most of these even with no
> teeth!.

Hey I was thinking of you last night. I made up something new to us as I
had this 1 lb roll of ground turkey.

I adapted due to lack of some parts so I'll note at the bottom what I did
use.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Maura's Easy Meatloaf
Categories: Main dish, Meats, Seandennis
Yield: 1 Loaf

1 1/2 lb Ground turkey meat
1 c Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
2 Beaten eggs
8 oz Tomato sauce (one small can)
1 T Dried onion
1/2 t Salt
1/4 t Pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl
together. Add wet ingredients (except turkey burger) and mix well.
Add turkey burger to the mixture, mixing with your hands until all
ingredients are mixed together smoothly. Put the mixture in a loaf
pan, place into oven and bake for one hour. When done, remove from
oven and serve warm.

Sean's note: My wife modified this recipe from the orginal one,
"Meatloaf III", at
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Meatloaf_III. I like this
version of meatloaf a lot and it has a nice spicy taste to it because
of the seasoned breadcrumbs. This recipe is good because it's simple
and can be modified easily to your tastes.

MMed by Sean Dennis on 9/3/2008 for the Fidonet COOKING echo.

MMMMM

I used some toasted french (crusty chewy) bread from the breadmaker to about
1.5 cups largish crumbs' (hand tore the dried lightly toasted bread). I then
added dried spices, about 1 TS (measured into my palm for all of these so
not exact) of sage, 1/2 ts oregano, 1/2 ts black pepper (might be more, just
ran the grinder over it for a bit), 1-2 TB parsley. Shook that up to make
'italian bread crumbs'.

Added about 1/2-3/4 cup small chopped red bell pepper, and about 1/2 cup
(perhaps slightly less) minced onion. 1 egg. Squirted Heinz catchup to
about 1/4 cup then added about 1/4 cup jufran bannana sauce (doesnt taste
like bannanas BTW at all). Mixed all that by hand then added the lb of
ground turkey and mixed. Baked as above with a generous dollop more of
Jufran bannana sauce as a topper.

Most turkey loafs come out tough but this one came out nicely. You could
definately eat this. With a tomato gravy over rice, it would be excellent.
Adjust seasonings obviously to your own tastes.

The Jufran Bannana sauce is one of the easier found asian elements. It will
look a heck of a lot like a small glass ketchup bottle and will be among
either the asian things, or may be with the BBQ or Ketchup area (often the 2
seege into one another with this in the middle of them). It comes in
regular and spicy hot (the hot isnt super hot but your gums may like the
regular better just now). Think of this best as the 'sweet' half of a good
'sweet-n-sour' sauce and the hot version makes a 'sweet-hot-n-sour' sauce if
you add the sour part from something else ;-)

It's also an excellent glaze that caremlizes nicely on just about anything.
In this care, it caremelized and held the natural juices in to render a
particularily tender 'meatloaf' out of turkey.

Oh, dont refridgerate Jufran after opening. Thats just USA hype to fridge
everything after opening. Like Ketchup, you can just put it in a cabinet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om wrote:
>
> > I rarely cook with apples but I've used them in savory dishes in the
> > past. They really do work.

> You'd probably like that Persian quince stew recipe I posted earlier, then.
>
> Bob

It did look interesting. :-) I've never even seen a quince, much less
cooked with one!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > jt august > wrote:

> >> Pork Chops Braised in Cider with Apples

> > <snipped>
> >
> > Geeze that sounds good! I've saved that recipe, thanks. :-)
> > I rarely cook with apples but I've used them in savory dishes in the
> > past. They really do work.

> Always great with pork. Now I don't know if your apple sauce is similar to
> ours... we can get it in a jar with lumps of apple in it and it is fairly
> sloppy.... but I mince/grind pork to make sausage meat and stir in some
> apple sauce. Yummie

I'd most likely make my own. ;-) It's hard to find it without added
sugar.

I'm always looking for ways to reduce the "mustiness" of pork recipes.
They tend to taste "piggy" if you know what I mean.

Pork shoulder roasts always get the "stab and stuff the garlic slivers
in the stab" treatment. I then top with fresh herbs and cover the herbs
with some choy or cabbage leaves to keep the herbs from drying out. That
way the flavor soaks into the meat better.

Works a treat.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Janet Bostwick" > wrote:

> "bulka" > wrote in message
> On Aug 29, 10:03 pm, Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig >
> wrote:
> snip
>
> > Lynn in Fargo
> > Making a pilgrimage to the Farmers Market. Gonna make fresh vegetable
> > and beef soup with parsnips, rutabaga, green beans, carrots, celery,
> > onions, cabbage, corn, peas, baby potatoes, zuchinni, and
> > dumplings . . . no turnips!

> Parsnip and rutabaga, but the turnip is barred from the party? How
> about a swede? The soup sounds great, and , of course, I'm not going
> to argue about personal taste. I'm just curious about how you draw
> your hard line between the roots.
>
> Bulka
>
> I thought a Swede was a rutabaga???
> Janet

I thought a Swede was a turnip?

I'll have to google. <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

> hahabogus >
> 50: in
> rec.food.cooking
>

> > @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
> >
> > Al's Bean And Sausage Soup
> >
> > Soups/Chowders/Stews

> <snipped and saved>
>
> Thanks haha. This is a keeper.
>
> Michael

I liked that recipe too, but I'd slice the sausage thinly rather than
dicing it.

But that's just me. <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article > ,
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>
>> "bulka" > wrote in message
>> On Aug 29, 10:03 pm, Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig >
>> wrote:
>> snip
>>
>> > Lynn in Fargo
>> > Making a pilgrimage to the Farmers Market. Gonna make fresh vegetable
>> > and beef soup with parsnips, rutabaga, green beans, carrots, celery,
>> > onions, cabbage, corn, peas, baby potatoes, zuchinni, and
>> > dumplings . . . no turnips!

>> Parsnip and rutabaga, but the turnip is barred from the party? How
>> about a swede? The soup sounds great, and , of course, I'm not going
>> to argue about personal taste. I'm just curious about how you draw
>> your hard line between the roots.
>>
>> Bulka
>>
>> I thought a Swede was a rutabaga???
>> Janet

> I thought a Swede was a turnip?
>
> I'll have to google. <g>
> --
> Peace! Om

Gets confusing. A Swedish turnip. Final answer -- rutabaga.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 29, 11:26*pm, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message

> > Kswck wrote:

> >> You favorites?

> >> Mine-beef stew: potatoes, carrots, meat in a pressure cooker w/a can of
> >> tomato soup. I don't have a pressure cooker-Mom's recipe.

> > As I sit here in my sweltering office with 100°F heat outside, I am not
> > exactly thinking about winter meals! But here are some I recall:

> > Braised short ribs with Guinness
> > Cottage pie from the leftover short ribs
> > Chili (especially on Super Bowl Sunday)
> > Lin's ham, cabbage, and potato soup
> > Damsel's spicy split pea soup with pepperoni
> > Braised spare ribs
> > Pastitsio
> > Portuguese caldo
> > Chinese "Master Sauce" pork
> > Leg of lamb braised with cumin, chiles, and orange peel
> > Pot-a-feu
> > Coq au vin
> > Chicken and dumplings
> > Braised lamb shanks
> > Braised oxtails
> > Sukiyaki

> > Bob

> I don't think there is that much winter to go around ;o}
> Janet

Shucks, Janet, that's only a couple weeks of dinners. Living way down
South, you may not have that much winter, but those of us a tad
further North see that as just a beginning<G>

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Janet Bostwick" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article > ,
> > "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> >
> >> "bulka" > wrote in message
> >> On Aug 29, 10:03 pm, Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig >
> >> wrote:
> >> snip

> >> Parsnip and rutabaga, but the turnip is barred from the party? How
> >> about a swede? The soup sounds great, and , of course, I'm not going
> >> to argue about personal taste. I'm just curious about how you draw
> >> your hard line between the roots.
> >>
> >> Bulka
> >>
> >> I thought a Swede was a rutabaga???
> >> Janet

> > I thought a Swede was a turnip?
> >
> > I'll have to google. <g>
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Gets confusing. A Swedish turnip. Final answer -- rutabaga.
> Janet

Ah! Got it, thanks.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 30, 4:19*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "maxine" *ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Aug 29, 5:58 pm, "Kswck" wrote:
>
> > You favorites?

> I'm a fan of vegetable bean soup. *My Mom's recipe stands us in good stead,
> makes 3 or 4 quarts, and freezes well when we get tired of it.So darned
> healthy it'll kill you.
>
> maxine in ri
>
> But in New England I loved fish chowder and clam ch9owder, always made a day
> in advance. *Seriously good winter meals.

But chowder doesn't last. One batch the same size as the veggie soup
is gone in a day or two<G>

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine" > wrote in message
On Aug 29, 11:26 pm, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message

> > Kswck wrote:

> >> You favorites?

> >> Mine-beef stew: potatoes, carrots, meat in a pressure cooker w/a can of
> >> tomato soup. I don't have a pressure cooker-Mom's recipe.

> > As I sit here in my sweltering office with 100°F heat outside, I am not
> > exactly thinking about winter meals! But here are some I recall:

> > Braised short ribs with Guinness
> > Cottage pie from the leftover short ribs
> > Chili (especially on Super Bowl Sunday)
> > Lin's ham, cabbage, and potato soup
> > Damsel's spicy split pea soup with pepperoni
> > Braised spare ribs
> > Pastitsio
> > Portuguese caldo
> > Chinese "Master Sauce" pork
> > Leg of lamb braised with cumin, chiles, and orange peel
> > Pot-a-feu
> > Coq au vin
> > Chicken and dumplings
> > Braised lamb shanks
> > Braised oxtails
> > Sukiyaki

> > Bob

> I don't think there is that much winter to go around ;o}
> Janet

Shucks, Janet, that's only a couple weeks of dinners. Living way down
South, you may not have that much winter, but those of us a tad
further North see that as just a beginning<G>

maxine in ri
I guess I'm in the middle north. But there's just the two of us and some of
those meals would morph into 3 days. I guess the folks up around I Falls
will be making dinners like these soon. It hit 32F there last night.
Janet