Old 21-05-2009, 02:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The taste of milk

Hello All!

It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
but most things savory do not help.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old 21-05-2009, 03:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote in news:5_cRl.2663
:

Hello All!

It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
but most things savory do not help.

I've detested milk my entire life. If I was dying of thirst, I'd have to
hold my nose and gag it down.
Old 21-05-2009, 03:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton said...

Hello All!

It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
but most things savory do not help.

James,

I'm in the "I like milk" camp.

I drink water all day long but I usually gotta have a morning glass of ice
cold fat-free milk.

For awhile I'd add Carnation fat-free condensed milk to cereal. Added just
the right amount of sweetness.

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Old 21-05-2009, 03:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

elaich wrote:
"James Silverton" wrote in news:5_cRl.2663
:

Hello All!

It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
but most things savory do not help.

I've detested milk my entire life. If I was dying of thirst, I'd have to
hold my nose and gag it down.

You sound like my 18-y-o daughter. She hates milk.

--
Jean B.
Old 21-05-2009, 03:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
James Silverton said...

Hello All!

It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
but most things savory do not help.

James,

I'm in the "I like milk" camp.

I drink water all day long but I usually gotta have a morning glass of ice
cold fat-free milk.

For awhile I'd add Carnation fat-free condensed milk to cereal. Added just
the right amount of sweetness.

Best,

Andy

Small glass of milk each night before bed with two teaspoons of whisky
and some vanilla for years .

Sleep well until the birds start and up and at em NO Problems

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzz

Old 21-05-2009, 03:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 9:23*am, Andy wrote:
James Silverton said...

Hello All!

It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
but most things savory do not help.

James,

I'm in the "I like milk" camp.

I drink water all day long but I usually gotta have a morning glass of ice
cold fat-free milk.

There's a difference? Of course there is. It just doesn't seem like
it.

For awhile I'd add Carnation fat-free condensed milk to cereal. Added just
the right amount of sweetness.

That is disgusting.Your eating habits seem more like a cariacature.
You seem like you were born without any sense of flavor. There's a
lady at work like that. She's a great person, but as far as food
goes, it's like, "Whatever." "Carnation fat-free condensed milk" is
a trashy ingredient that lazy housewives use in their version of
baking. Who would put that crap on cereal? A ten year old?

Best,

Andy

--Bryan

Old 21-05-2009, 03:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 9:49*am, "James Silverton"
wrote:
Hello All!

It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
but most things savory do not help.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Whadda ya wash a brownie down with? I also crave milk after a spicy
Mexican type dish.
Old 21-05-2009, 03:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Hello All!

It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
but most things savory do not help.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Whadda ya wash a brownie down with? *I also crave milk after a spicy
Mexican type dish.

That's because the fat content of milk dissolves the capsaicin
(hotness), thus milk is a very cool soothing beverage after eating hot
spicy foods like chili.

John Kuthe...

Old 21-05-2009, 04:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Hello All!

It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
but most things savory do not help.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Whadda ya wash a brownie down with? *I also crave milk after a spicy
Mexican type dish.

That's because the fat content of milk dissolves the capsaicin
(hotness), thus milk is a very cool soothing beverage after eating hot
spicy foods like chili.

Another way that fat free milk is lacking.

John Kuthe

--Bryan
Old 21-05-2009, 04:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
Hello All!

It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
but most things savory do not help.

I like milk, but I really don't find myself drinking it much anymore.
Not even with a cookie or brownie.
One of my sisters hated milk and the only way she would drink it if it
was flavored with strawberry syrup. I love strawberries but I hate
artificial strawberry flavoring. Yuck.

Tracy

Old 21-05-2009, 04:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"James Silverton" wrote:

It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
but most things savory do not help.

About forty years ago I finally figured out that the cause of my
occasional "intestinal distress" was milk, so I stopped drinking it, and
was "cured". I use it in cooking sometimes, and put the tiniest dribble
in my coffee, and haven't had problems. Since I haven't drunk any in
forty years, I barely remember the taste of a glass of milk, but I think
I liked it then, it just didn't like me.

My younger son had a problem with cow's milk when he was a baby. He
didn't drink any, but my wife did, and whatever bothered him went into
the milk she was producing, and since he was breast fed, he got cranky.
Once my wife stopped drinking cow's milk, he stopped being cranky. Now
he drinks about a half gallon a day, and it doesn't bother him.

We still buy milk two gallons at a time. Our kids don't live with us,
but generally visit once a week.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 21-05-2009, 04:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Hello All!

It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
but most things savory do not help.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Whadda ya wash a brownie down with? *I also crave milk after a spicy
Mexican type dish.

That's because the fat content of milk dissolves the capsaicin
(hotness), thus milk is a very cool soothing beverage after eating hot
spicy foods like chili.

Another way that fat free milk is lacking.

Fat free milk is like sugar free candy! YUCK!!

John Kuthe...
Old 21-05-2009, 05:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-05-21, Dan Abel wrote:

About forty years ago I finally figured out that the cause of my
occasional "intestinal distress" was milk, so I stopped drinking it, and
was "cured".

One man's distress, another's cure.

I'm not a big milk fan, but I've discoverd if I drink a little milk or have
a bowl of cold cereal in the evening, it keeps me regular. Go figure.

nb
Old 21-05-2009, 05:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote in message
Hello All!

It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy a
glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste of
milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought skim
milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable but
most things savory do not help.

Didn't you drink it at school, in those 1/3pt bottles?

Old 21-05-2009, 05:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"phil..c" wrote in message

Small glass of milk each night before bed with two teaspoons of whisky
and some vanilla for years .

Sleep well until the birds start and up and at em NO Problems

Ah! I sometime have a cup of hot milk with vanilla, but I'll have to try a
splash of spirits. Do you take yours hot or cold?

Felice