Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The taste of milk

Hello All!

It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
but most things savory do not help.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in news:5_cRl.2663
:

> Hello All!
>
> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
> a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
> of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
> skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
> but most things savory do not help.

I've detested milk my entire life. If I was dying of thirst, I'd have to
hold my nose and gag it down.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton said...

> Hello All!
>
> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
> a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
> of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
> skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
> but most things savory do not help.

James,

I'm in the "I like milk" camp.

I drink water all day long but I usually gotta have a morning glass of ice
cold fat-free milk.

For awhile I'd add Carnation fat-free condensed milk to cereal. Added just
the right amount of sweetness.

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

elaich wrote:
> "James Silverton" > wrote in news:5_cRl.2663
> :
>
>> Hello All!
>>
>> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
>> a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
>> of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
>> skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
>> but most things savory do not help.
>>

> I've detested milk my entire life. If I was dying of thirst, I'd have to
> hold my nose and gag it down.

You sound like my 18-y-o daughter. She hates milk.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> James Silverton said...
>
>> Hello All!
>>
>> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
>> a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
>> of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
>> skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
>> but most things savory do not help.

> James,
>
> I'm in the "I like milk" camp.
>
> I drink water all day long but I usually gotta have a morning glass of ice
> cold fat-free milk.
>
> For awhile I'd add Carnation fat-free condensed milk to cereal. Added just
> the right amount of sweetness.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Small glass of milk each night before bed with two teaspoons of whisky
and some vanilla for years .

Sleep well until the birds start and up and at em NO Problems

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 9:23*am, Andy > wrote:
> James Silverton said...
>
> > Hello All!

> > It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
> > a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
> > of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
> > skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
> > but most things savory do not help.

> James,
>
> I'm in the "I like milk" camp.
>
> I drink water all day long but I usually gotta have a morning glass of ice
> cold fat-free milk.

There's a difference? Of course there is. It just doesn't seem like
it.

> For awhile I'd add Carnation fat-free condensed milk to cereal. Added just
> the right amount of sweetness.

That is disgusting.Your eating habits seem more like a cariacature.
You seem like you were born without any sense of flavor. There's a
lady at work like that. She's a great person, but as far as food
goes, it's like, "Whatever." "Carnation fat-free condensed milk" is
a trashy ingredient that lazy housewives use in their version of
baking. Who would put that crap on cereal? A ten year old?

> Best,
>
> Andy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 9:49*am, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
> a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
> of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
> skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
> but most things savory do not help.
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

Whadda ya wash a brownie down with? I also crave milk after a spicy
Mexican type dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 9:49*am, wrote:
> On May 21, 9:49*am, "James Silverton" >
> wrote:
>
> > Hello All!

> > It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
> > a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
> > of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
> > skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
> > but most things savory do not help.

> > --

> > James Silverton
> > Potomac, Maryland

> Whadda ya wash a brownie down with? *I also crave milk after a spicy
> Mexican type dish.

That's because the fat content of milk dissolves the capsaicin
(hotness), thus milk is a very cool soothing beverage after eating hot
spicy foods like chili.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 9:58*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On May 21, 9:49*am, wrote:
>

> > On May 21, 9:49*am, "James Silverton" >
> > wrote:

> > > Hello All!

> > > It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
> > > a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
> > > of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
> > > skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
> > > but most things savory do not help.

> > > --

> > > James Silverton
> > > Potomac, Maryland

> > Whadda ya wash a brownie down with? *I also crave milk after a spicy
> > Mexican type dish.

> That's because the fat content of milk dissolves the capsaicin
> (hotness), thus milk is a very cool soothing beverage after eating hot
> spicy foods like chili.

Another way that fat free milk is lacking.

> John Kuthe

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
> a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
> of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
> skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
> but most things savory do not help.

I like milk, but I really don't find myself drinking it much anymore.
Not even with a cookie or brownie.
One of my sisters hated milk and the only way she would drink it if it
was flavored with strawberry syrup. I love strawberries but I hate
artificial strawberry flavoring. Yuck.

Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
> a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
> of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
> skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
> but most things savory do not help.

About forty years ago I finally figured out that the cause of my
occasional "intestinal distress" was milk, so I stopped drinking it, and
was "cured". I use it in cooking sometimes, and put the tiniest dribble
in my coffee, and haven't had problems. Since I haven't drunk any in
forty years, I barely remember the taste of a glass of milk, but I think
I liked it then, it just didn't like me.

My younger son had a problem with cow's milk when he was a baby. He
didn't drink any, but my wife did, and whatever bothered him went into
the milk she was producing, and since he was breast fed, he got cranky.
Once my wife stopped drinking cow's milk, he stopped being cranky. Now
he drinks about a half gallon a day, and it doesn't bother him.

We still buy milk two gallons at a time. Our kids don't live with us,
but generally visit once a week.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 10:01*am, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
> On May 21, 9:58*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
>

> > On May 21, 9:49*am, wrote:

> > > Whadda ya wash a brownie down with? *I also crave milk after a spicy
> > > Mexican type dish.

> > That's because the fat content of milk dissolves the capsaicin
> > (hotness), thus milk is a very cool soothing beverage after eating hot
> > spicy foods like chili.

> Another way that fat free milk is lacking.

Fat free milk is like sugar free candy! YUCK!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-05-21, Dan Abel > wrote:

> About forty years ago I finally figured out that the cause of my
> occasional "intestinal distress" was milk, so I stopped drinking it, and
> was "cured".

One man's distress, another's cure.

I'm not a big milk fan, but I've discoverd if I drink a little milk or have
a bowl of cold cereal in the evening, it keeps me regular. Go figure.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Hello All!
>
> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy a
> glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste of
> milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought skim
> milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable but
> most things savory do not help.

Didn't you drink it at school, in those 1/3pt bottles?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"phil..c" > wrote in message

> Small glass of milk each night before bed with two teaspoons of whisky
> and some vanilla for years .
>
> Sleep well until the birds start and up and at em NO Problems

Ah! I sometime have a cup of hot milk with vanilla, but I'll have to try a
splash of spirits. Do you take yours hot or cold?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 11:26*am, "graham" > wrote:
> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>
> ...> Hello All!
>
> > It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy a
> > glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste of
> > milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought skim
> > milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable but
> > most things savory do not help.

> Didn't you drink it at school, in those 1/3pt bottles?

You must be younger than me. When I went to school, they were still
half pints.
When I was in 1st grade they were still 2¢.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
> a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
> of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
> skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
> but most things savory do not help.

You are not alone. I do not like to drink milk. I have never liked it. I
used to drink it was a kid, but only because my parents encouraged it.
I use it on cereal, in lattes and in cooking, but do not drink it. If I
came in on a hot sticky day and looked in the fridge for something cold
to drink and there was nothing but milk I would have tap water. What I
remember most about drinking milk is that it goes down my throat like a
lump of phlegm.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
> On May 21, 11:26 am, "graham" > wrote:
>> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>>
>> ...> Hello All!
>>
>>> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy a
>>> glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste of
>>> milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought skim
>>> milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable but
>>> most things savory do not help.

>> Didn't you drink it at school, in those 1/3pt bottles?

> You must be younger than me. When I went to school, they were still
> half pints.
> When I was in 1st grade they were still 2¢.

I don't remember milk being that cheap, but when I was in school it was
sold in little glass bottles, not cartons.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
> a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
> of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
> skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
> but most things savory do not help.

Well, I like the taste of milk but not to drink by itself.
I also don't like it with savory foods and especially anything
that is sour, like salad dressing. Makes me want to gag.

(There was an incident many years ago in home ec class where
we prepared a simple meal that included a salad. We all also
had to drink a glass of milk with our meal. I refused to drink
mine because of the salad. The teacher insisted I drink it or
I would be sent to the principal's office. I told her I would
throw up if I drank it after eating the salad. She insisted,
so I said okay. I drank it and immediately barfed all over the
place. I wonder if she ever did that again.)

Any way I enjoy an ice cold glass of whole milk (that other stuff
is just nasty tasting dirty water afaiac) with something sweet
like a big slice of chocolate cake or with pancakes, etc., with
maple syrup.

I also love buttermilk but only with savory food, not sweet.
(Just the opposite). So I will drink a glass of ice cold
buttermilk with bacon and eggs and that sort of stuff.

Notice both times I said ice cold. Once milk gets warm I
not longer can stand to drink it.

Also, I usually only drink it with breakfast type meals.
I prefer other things with my lunch and dinner.

Kate, who just told you more than you ever wanted to know
about her milk preferences. ;-)

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote:
> "phil..c" > wrote in message
>
>> Small glass of milk each night before bed with two teaspoons of whisky
>> and some vanilla for years .
>>
>> Sleep well until the birds start and up and at em NO Problems

> Ah! I sometime have a cup of hot milk with vanilla, but I'll have to try a
> splash of spirits. Do you take yours hot or cold?
>
> Felice

I've done that - hot vanilla milk. Yummy. But I also add some
sugar so it's like vanilla hot chocolate without the chocolate.
Now I like booze, but not in my milk.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote on Thu, 21 May 2009 10:26:16 -0600:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in
> message ...
>> Hello All!
>>
>> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they
>> "Enjoy a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like
>> the taste of milk and I've tried it from farm
>> fresh unpasteurized to store-bought skim milk? If I can eat
>> something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable but most
>> things savory do not help.

Yes, I did, attending British schools! I even liked milk for 12 years or
so until deciding that at least a cookie was necessary.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Hello All!
>
> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy a
> glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste of
> milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought skim
> milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable but
> most things savory do not help.
>
> --
>

> James Silverton

Poor person.

You're missing one of the Joys of life.

Ice cold extra rich Knudson milk on a warm day followed by a piece of
chocolate cake - Nirvana

PS I even line the tang of buttermilk

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate wrote on Thu, 21 May 2009 12:54:34 -0400:

> Felice wrote:
>> "phil..c" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Small glass of milk each night before bed with two teaspoons
>>> of whisky and some vanilla for years .
>>>
>>> Sleep well until the birds start and up and at em NO
>>> Problems

>> Ah! I sometime have a cup of hot milk with vanilla, but I'll have to
>> try a splash of spirits. Do you take yours hot or
>> cold?
>>
>> Felice

> I've done that - hot vanilla milk. Yummy. But I also add
> some sugar so it's like vanilla hot chocolate without the
> chocolate. Now I like booze, but not in my milk.

I was not talking of modified milk of course :-) Instant coffee made
with skim milk and brown (turbinado) sugar is quite a pleasant drink. I
sometimes have it at breakfast when I am out of real coffee.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote to graham on Thu, 21 May 2009 17:04:30 GMT:

>> "James Silverton" > wrote in
>> message ...
>>> Hello All!
>>>
>>> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that
>>> they "Enjoy a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that
>>> I do not like the taste of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh
>>> unpasteurized to store-bought skim milk? If I can eat something
>>> sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable but
>>> most things savory do not help.

My apologies for the excessive clipping that hid that I was talking
about "school milk"!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 May 2009 13:49:53 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>Hello All!
>
>It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
>a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
>of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
>skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
>but most things savory do not help.

I have a devil of a time with milk in Mexico.

Lots of folks don't understand how quickly milk sours, and the locals
are not careful about refrigerating milk while it's being shipped,
etc.

Consequently, you might get a carton with an expiration date in two
weeks, but it starts to go sour in a couple of days.

I should not drink whole milk - too much fat. I'm supposed to drink
skim, but I drink 2%, which seems to be okay.

I like the taste, and I love a cold glass of milk with chocolate. It's
almost a daily ritual.

I buy the "fresh" 2% milk - even though it may go sour pretty quickly,
but I also keep on hand the unrefrigerated cartons of milk......

Nutri Leche 1 litre - less than a dollar. The carton I'm looking at
has an expiration date of 2 September, 2009. They can be stored
without refrigeration.

Pretty close to fresh milk - there is a slight difference.
--
mad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 May 2009 17:07:27 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Kate wrote on Thu, 21 May 2009 12:54:34 -0400:
>
>> Felice wrote:

>>> Ah! I sometime have a cup of hot milk with vanilla, but I'll have to
>>> try a splash of spirits. Do you take yours hot or
>>> cold?
>>>
>>> Felice

>> I've done that - hot vanilla milk. Yummy. But I also add
>> some sugar so it's like vanilla hot chocolate without the
>> chocolate. Now I like booze, but not in my milk.

>I was not talking of modified milk of course :-) Instant coffee made
>with skim milk and brown (turbinado) sugar is quite a pleasant drink. I
>sometimes have it at breakfast when I am out of real coffee.

I'm heading for the kitchen to brew a cup. That's a new one.

--
mad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 12:20*pm, Mack A. Damia > wrote:

> Nutri Leche *1 litre - less than a dollar. *The carton I'm looking at
> has an expiration date of 2 September, 2009. *They can be stored
> without refrigeration. *
>
> Pretty close to fresh milk - there is a slight difference.

"Slight difference"????? You have to be kidding. There is a lot more
difference between that and regular Pasteurized as there is between
regular Pasteurized and raw. Awful.
> --
> mad

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
> a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
> of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
> skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
> but most things savory do not help.

I quit drinking milk years ago. IMHO it's not worth the calories.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 May 2009 10:28:43 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
> wrote:

>On May 21, 12:20*pm, Mack A. Damia > wrote:
>>

>> Nutri Leche *1 litre - less than a dollar. *The carton I'm looking at
>> has an expiration date of 2 September, 2009. *They can be stored
>> without refrigeration. *
>>
>> Pretty close to fresh milk - there is a slight difference.

>"Slight difference"????? You have to be kidding. There is a lot more
>difference between that and regular Pasteurized as there is between
>regular Pasteurized and raw. Awful.
>> --
>> mad

>--Bryan

Hey! To each his own?

I can't drink whole milk - I have to enjoy what I can. Also, I don't
like wasting money on sour milk. Shops don't refund money or exchange
too readily in Mexico.

I'm not complaining. Actually, I've heard this from several sources -
that Mexican milk is very good - as long as its fresh.
--
mad

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mack A. Damia > wrote:

> On Thu, 21 May 2009 10:28:43 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
> > wrote:
>
> >On May 21, 12:20*pm, Mack A. Damia > wrote:
> >>

> >> Nutri Leche *1 litre - less than a dollar. *The carton I'm looking at
> >> has an expiration date of 2 September, 2009. *They can be stored
> >> without refrigeration. *
> >>
> >> Pretty close to fresh milk - there is a slight difference.

> >"Slight difference"????? You have to be kidding. There is a lot more
> >difference between that and regular Pasteurized as there is between
> >regular Pasteurized and raw. Awful.
> >> --
> >> mad

> >--Bryan

> Hey! To each his own?
>
> I can't drink whole milk - I have to enjoy what I can. Also, I don't
> like wasting money on sour milk. Shops don't refund money or exchange
> too readily in Mexico.
>
> I'm not complaining. Actually, I've heard this from several sources -
> that Mexican milk is very good - as long as its fresh.

Go buy a nubian nannygoat. :-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 May 2009 13:49:53 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>Hello All!
>
>It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
>a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
>of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
>skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
>but most things savory do not help.

I love milk. I drink no fat milk all the time. In fact, the milk I
get has additional calcium so I can get my calcium needs with three
glasses in stead of taking 3 pills a day.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> Yes, I did, attending British schools! I even liked milk for 12 years or
> so until deciding that at least a cookie was necessary.

Cookies, cake, pie..... anything to help it go down. I found it
palatable with chocolate. But stright milk as a drink???... No way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 12:31*pm, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
> On May 21, 11:26*am, "graham" > wrote:
>
> > "James Silverton" > wrote in message

> ... > Hello All!

> > > It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy a
> > > glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste of
> > > milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought skim
> > > milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable but
> > > most things savory do not help.

> > Didn't you drink it at school, in those 1/3pt bottles?

> You must be younger than me. *When I went to school, they were still
> half pints.
> When I was in 1st grade they were still 2¢.
>
> --Bryan

Yeah..... and the janitor would leave the milk sitting out on the
school steps til we had it handed to us around 10 am. Little
fingers, tho, could manage to wrap around the bottle enough to hide
what we couldn't down and get it back into that wooden box.

He was the same guy who'd go aroundt to all the rooms and set the
clock for the same time, not factoring in his slow gait.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 12:52*pm, Kate Connally > wrote:

> Notice both times I said ice cold. *Once milk gets warm I
> not longer can stand to drink it.

Exactly why I always add a cube or two of ice to milk in a resto. Why
can't they keep it cold!!! And too few restos stock skim - grr.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 May 2009 12:55:42 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Mack A. Damia > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 21 May 2009 10:28:43 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
>> > wrote:

>> >"Slight difference"????? You have to be kidding. There is a lot more
>> >difference between that and regular Pasteurized as there is between
>> >regular Pasteurized and raw. Awful.
>> >
>> >--Bryan

>> Hey! To each his own?
>>
>> I can't drink whole milk - I have to enjoy what I can. Also, I don't
>> like wasting money on sour milk. Shops don't refund money or exchange
>> too readily in Mexico.
>>
>> I'm not complaining. Actually, I've heard this from several sources -
>> that Mexican milk is very good - as long as its fresh.

>Go buy a nubian nannygoat. :-)

Makes me think of how convenient life is these days.

Even a hundred years ago - society was more pastoral. It was
convenient to own your own chickens, goat or cow.

I always wondered the history of how "bacon and eggs" got paired
together for breakfast. I poked around the Internet - owning chickens
was pretty common in days of yore - but how and where did eggs get
associated with bacon for breakfast?

Inquiring minds, and all that. I'll have to check the OED again; it's
a common phrase.

An oldie: Bacon and Egg - a day's work for a chicken, a lifetime
commitment for a pig.
--
mad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 8:49*am, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
> a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
> of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
> skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
> but most things savory do not help.
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

I love milk and drink a lot of it - but it's all skim, and one
particular brand; many brands have an odd taste. I really don't like
the taste/feel of 2% or whole milk, or real (unflavored) cream. I
drink milk with everything, except most bare nekkid fruits (except
bananas). If it's a fruit dessert, that's o.k. I love savory stuff
and milk together - don't understand what's not to like.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 10:57*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On May 21, 10:01*am, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:

> > > That's because the fat content of milk dissolves the capsaicin
> > > (hotness), thus milk is a very cool soothing beverage after eating hot
> > > spicy foods like chili.

> > Another way that fat free milk is lacking.

> Fat free milk is like sugar free candy! YUCK!!
>
> John Kuthe...- Hide quoted text -

Ah, but for those of us who really don't want that creamy taste or
mouth-feel, fat-free milk is perfect.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bobo Bonobo®" > wrote in message
On May 21, 11:26 am, "graham" > wrote:
> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>
> ...> Hello All!
>
> > It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
> > glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
> > of
> > milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
> > skim
> > milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable but
> > most things savory do not help.

> Didn't you drink it at school, in those 1/3pt bottles?

You must be younger than me. When I went to school, they were still
half pints.
When I was in 1st grade they were still 2¢.

In the UK, milk was supplied to schools in 1/3pt bottles. Maggie Thatcher
stopped the program.