Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default The taste of milk

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
> a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
> of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
> skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
> but most things savory do not help.

About forty years ago I finally figured out that the cause of my
occasional "intestinal distress" was milk, so I stopped drinking it, and
was "cured". I use it in cooking sometimes, and put the tiniest dribble
in my coffee, and haven't had problems. Since I haven't drunk any in
forty years, I barely remember the taste of a glass of milk, but I think
I liked it then, it just didn't like me.

My younger son had a problem with cow's milk when he was a baby. He
didn't drink any, but my wife did, and whatever bothered him went into
the milk she was producing, and since he was breast fed, he got cranky.
Once my wife stopped drinking cow's milk, he stopped being cranky. Now
he drinks about a half gallon a day, and it doesn't bother him.

We still buy milk two gallons at a time. Our kids don't live with us,
but generally visit once a week.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA