Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The taste of milk

On Thu, 21 May 2009 13:49:53 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
>of milk

Ya like it, drink it. Ya don't like it, skip it...what's the big
deal with that?

You NOT liking milk will not change anyone's life, including mine.

I don't like lamb.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mack wrote on Thu, 21 May 2009 11:24:27 -0700:

> I always wondered the history of how "bacon and eggs" got
> paired together for breakfast. I poked around the Internet -
> owning chickens was pretty common in days of yore - but how
> and where did eggs get associated with bacon for breakfast?

> Inquiring minds, and all that. I'll have to check the OED
> again; it's a common phrase.

> An oldie: Bacon and Egg - a day's work for a chicken, a
> lifetime commitment for a pig.

Probably because frying is a cooking operation that only requires one
pan thus bacon, eggs, mushrooms, many types of sausage, tomatoes, even
bread. Delicious even if health benefits are marginal!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 May 2009 21:21:20 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Mack wrote on Thu, 21 May 2009 11:24:27 -0700:
>
>> I always wondered the history of how "bacon and eggs" got
>> paired together for breakfast. I poked around the Internet -
>> owning chickens was pretty common in days of yore - but how
>> and where did eggs get associated with bacon for breakfast?

>> Inquiring minds, and all that. I'll have to check the OED
>> again; it's a common phrase.

>> An oldie: Bacon and Egg - a day's work for a chicken, a
>> lifetime commitment for a pig.

> Probably because frying is a cooking operation that only requires one
>pan thus bacon, eggs, mushrooms, many types of sausage, tomatoes, even
>bread. Delicious even if health benefits are marginal!

That sounds reasonable.

OED is no help. I'd like to find out when "bacon and eggs" or "eggs
and bacon" was first found in print.

Bacon was cured so it didn't need refrigeration in temperate climates.

Slap a couple of rashers in the pan; when you have enough fat, you can
cook the rest.

When I was a kid, I loved fried bread - fried in bacon fat on both
sides. Served with eggs and bacon - or even by itself. I put HP
Sauce on mine.
--
mad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
> a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
> of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
> skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
> but most things savory do not help.
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

With you on that one. Gave up drinking liquid milk as soon as the
parents allowed us to! Was absolutely revolted by all the people
drinking milk with their meals at university (in the Midwest). One bowl
of cereal with low-fat milk per week is all that is tolerable for me.
It's ok in cooking though cos it's seasoned with something.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 11:54*am, Kate Connally > wrote:
> Felice wrote:
> > "phil..c" > wrote in message

> >> Small glass of milk each night before bed with two teaspoons of whisky
> >> and some vanilla *for years .

> >> Sleep well until the birds start and up and at em *NO Problems

> > Ah! I sometime have a cup of hot milk with vanilla, but I'll have to try a
> > splash of spirits. Do you take yours hot or cold?

> > Felice

> I've done that - hot vanilla milk. *Yummy. *But I also add some
> sugar so it's like vanilla hot chocolate without the chocolate.
> Now I like booze, but not in my milk.

No White or Black Russians for you then, I take it.

OMG I can get so plastered off those things! Vodka, Kahlua and milk/
cream over ice! YUM!! Make 'em with Starbucks Coffe Liquer and it's
like a cold cup of coffee with BOOZE rather than caffiene! YUM!! :-)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

>> I've done that - hot vanilla milk. Yummy. But I also add some sugar so
>> it's like vanilla hot chocolate without the chocolate. Now I like booze,
>> but not in my milk.

> No White or Black Russians for you then, I take it.
>
> OMG I can get so plastered off those things! Vodka, Kahlua and milk/cream
> over ice! YUM!! Make 'em with Starbucks Coffe Liquer and it's like a cold
> cup of coffee with BOOZE rather than caffiene! YUM!! :-)

New Orleans has an "eye-opener" called a brandy milk punch. It's milk,
simple syrup, and brandy shaken together and served on the rocks with a
generous sprinkle of nutmeg on top.

It also makes a very nice nightcap.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 2:46*pm, Damsel > wrote:
> On Thu, 21 May 2009 12:29:11 -0400, "Felice" >
> wrote:
>
> >"phil..c" > wrote in message

> >> Small glass of milk each night before bed with two teaspoons of whisky
> >> and some vanilla *for years .

> >> Sleep well until the birds start and up and at em *NO Problems

> >Ah! I sometime have a cup of hot milk with vanilla, but I'll have to try a
> >splash of spirits. Do you take yours hot or cold?

> I don't recall her name, but a long time ago, we had a poster from
> Holland who told me about a milk drink that's made over there. *The
> stores sell sugar cubes with anise flavoring built in. *Add that to
> hot milk for a very delightful bedtime beverage. *I just use a
> spoonful of sugar and a couple drops of anise extract. *It's
> delicious, assuming that you like the flavor of licorice.
>
> Other than that, I LOVE MILK! *With meals and snacks, for a snack by
> itself, on cereal, on fruit. *Milk, milk, milk, milk, milk! *On
> Facebook, I am a fan of Milk. *
>
> Carol
>
> --
> Change "invalid" to James Bond's agent number to reply.

Me too! Me too! The best is ice-cold whole milk (BAD4ME) then there
is no-fat (YUCK)"blue" milk (rather drink H2O) fat free & calcium - ok
(but ya gotta shake it all the time) then 2% OK (but still too much
fat) so I drink 1% - at least I can't see through it! I love to drink
milk with anything, but there are a few must haves: No milk? I won't
eat oreos, chocolate chip, peanut butter or oatmeal raisin cookies.
Or cake. Or banana bread. Or really spicy foods.
Lynn in Fargo
joining Damsel on Facebook "pro milk"!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 May 2009 13:49:53 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>Hello All!
>
>It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
>a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
>of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
>skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
>but most things savory do not help.

I don't dislike it, but I rarely drink it these days. The major
exception is if I've got a pan of just baked cornbread. Either
crumble the cornbread in a bowl and pour milk over like a cereal, or
slather a wedge of cornbread with butter and drink milk with it.
Either sweet milk or buttermilk will do, but tend to prefer sweet.

If I have cerea, then plain soy milk.

- Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 May 2009 20:10:30 -0400, Mark A.Meggs
> wrote:

>On Thu, 21 May 2009 13:49:53 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:
>
>>Hello All!
>>
>>It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
>>a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
>>of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
>>skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
>>but most things savory do not help.

>I don't dislike it, but I rarely drink it these days. The major
>exception is if I've got a pan of just baked cornbread. Either
>crumble the cornbread in a bowl and pour milk over like a cereal, or
>slather a wedge of cornbread with butter and drink milk with it.
>Either sweet milk or buttermilk will do, but tend to prefer sweet.
>
>If I have cerea, then plain soy milk.
>
>- Mark

Or if I'm binging on Oreos.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote:
> "phil..c" > wrote in message
>
>> Small glass of milk each night before bed with two teaspoons of whisky
>> and some vanilla for years .
>>
>> Sleep well until the birds start and up and at em NO Problems

> Ah! I sometime have a cup of hot milk with vanilla, but I'll have to try a
> splash of spirits. Do you take yours hot or cold?
>
> Felice

Cooler weather Hot/warm
Hot weather Cold

And as stated only two teaspoons or thereabouts of whiskey (Usually
Jamesons)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Hello All!
>
> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy a
> glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste of
> milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought skim
> milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable but
> most things savory do not help.
>
> --
>

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

I love milk, always have. Not skim or powdered.....real milk. After
something sweet is best and the colder the better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Hello All!
>
> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy a
> glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste of
> milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought skim
> milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable but
> most things savory do not help.
>
> --

Last glass of milk I drank was when I was about 14 and my mother made me
drink the vile stuff.

I like ice cream (especially a good vanilla) cheese, custard, whipped cream,
and put milk in sauces, I just despise drinking it straight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 May 2009 17:09:20 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig
> wrote:

>On May 21, 2:46*pm, Damsel > wrote:
>
>> I LOVE MILK! *With meals and snacks, for a snack by
>> itself, on cereal, on fruit. *Milk, milk, milk, milk, milk! *On
>> Facebook, I am a fan of Milk. *

>Me too! Me too! The best is ice-cold whole milk (BAD4ME) then there
>is no-fat (YUCK)"blue" milk (rather drink H2O) fat free & calcium - ok
>(but ya gotta shake it all the time) then 2% OK (but still too much
>fat) so I drink 1% - at least I can't see through it! I love to drink
>milk with anything, but there are a few must haves: No milk? I won't
>eat oreos, chocolate chip, peanut butter or oatmeal raisin cookies.
>Or cake. Or banana bread. Or really spicy foods.

We have almost always used 2%. For some reason, Crash doesn't have
the lactose intolerance issues with whole milk that he has with the
lower octane varieties. So we recently switched to whole milk. The
only problem with that change ... it calls out to me. Provocatively.
Insistently. Intently. "Resistance is futile. I am milk."

>Lynn in Fargo
>joining Damsel on Facebook "pro milk"!

You GO, girl! Think it's our mutual Fargo heritage?

Mooooo!
Carol

--
Change "invalid" to James Bond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>
>>Hello All!
>>
>>It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy a
>>glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste of
>>milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought skim
>>milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable but
>>most things savory do not help.
>>
>>--

> Last glass of milk I drank was when I was about 14 and my mother made me
> drink the vile stuff.
>
> I like ice cream (especially a good vanilla) cheese, custard, whipped cream,
> and put milk in sauces, I just despise drinking it straight.

A physician friend of mine postulates that most people who truly despise
milk have at least a mild intolerance - they lack the enzymes to
properly digest the sugars and/or proteins which triggers GI issues
(which may be mild) but their brain still makes the subconscious connection.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kathleen" > wrote in message

> A physician friend of mine postulates that most people who truly despise
> milk have at least a mild intolerance - they lack the enzymes to properly
> digest the sugars and/or proteins which triggers GI issues (which may be
> mild) but their brain still makes the subconscious connection.

Could be. I've also heard that the body will crave what it needs to survive
so maybe the cheeses and custards make up for the straight milk deficiency.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "Kathleen" > wrote in message
>
>>A physician friend of mine postulates that most people who truly despise
>>milk have at least a mild intolerance - they lack the enzymes to properly
>>digest the sugars and/or proteins which triggers GI issues (which may be
>>mild) but their brain still makes the subconscious connection.
>>

> Could be. I've also heard that the body will crave what it needs to survive
> so maybe the cheeses and custards make up for the straight milk deficiency.

Yep. The more processed the dairy, the less likely to trigger a
reaction. Cheese and yogurt are already partially broken down via
fermentation. Don't know about custard, which is merely cooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 21 May 2009 06:49:53a, James Silverton told us...

> Hello All!
>
> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
> a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
> of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
> skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
> but most things savory do not help.

I have always loathed the taste of every type of milk, even as a child,
except for buttermilk. For some reason I have always found buttermilk
appealing.

--
Wayne Boatwright
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
> a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
> of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
> skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
> but most things savory do not help.

It's extremely rare for me to drink a glass of milk at all, especially
since we've started using low-fat milk.

If we buy whole milk I'll sometimes drink it by itself, but I usually
don't bother.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
> > On May 21, 11:26 am, "graham" > wrote:
> >> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> ...> Hello All!

> >> Didn't you drink it at school, in those 1/3pt bottles?

> > You must be younger than me. When I went to school, they were still
> > half pints.
> > When I was in 1st grade they were still 2¢.

> I don't remember milk being that cheap, but when I was in school it was
> sold in little glass bottles, not cartons.

A pint bottle of milk delivered to the doorstep was 4c when I was a
little girl.

Miche (those were the days, eh?)

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel > wrote:

> On Thu, 21 May 2009 12:29:11 -0400, "Felice" >
> wrote:
>
> >"phil..c" > wrote in message
> >
> >> Small glass of milk each night before bed with two teaspoons of whisky
> >> and some vanilla for years .
> >>
> >> Sleep well until the birds start and up and at em NO Problems

> >Ah! I sometime have a cup of hot milk with vanilla, but I'll have to try a
> >splash of spirits. Do you take yours hot or cold?

> I don't recall her name, but a long time ago, we had a poster from
> Holland who told me about a milk drink that's made over there. The
> stores sell sugar cubes with anise flavoring built in. Add that to
> hot milk for a very delightful bedtime beverage. I just use a
> spoonful of sugar and a couple drops of anise extract. It's
> delicious, assuming that you like the flavor of licorice.

Anijsmelk.

I've tried it.

It's... not my thing.

(I ended up giving the rest of the anise cubes to a Dutch friend, who
was very happy to have them.)

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 21 May 2009 06:49:53a, James Silverton told us...
>
>> Hello All!
>>
>> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
>> a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
>> of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
>> skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
>> but most things savory do not help.
>>

> I have always loathed the taste of every type of milk, even as a child,
> except for buttermilk. For some reason I have always found buttermilk
> appealing.

I quit drinking milk when I was weaned as a small child. My father loved
buttermilk but I only use it to cook with. Big pone of cornbread last
night had two cups of buttermilk in it. Cornbread was a side dish for
Senate Navy bean soup. I make my oatmeal with milk instead of water and
that's about as close to drinking the white stuff as I get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 May 2009 20:29:56 +1200, Miche >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Damsel > wrote:
>
>> I don't recall her name, but a long time ago, we had a poster from
>> Holland who told me about a milk drink that's made over there. The
>> stores sell sugar cubes with anise flavoring built in. Add that to
>> hot milk for a very delightful bedtime beverage. I just use a
>> spoonful of sugar and a couple drops of anise extract. It's
>> delicious, assuming that you like the flavor of licorice.

>Anijsmelk.

Thank you!

>I've tried it.
>
>It's... not my thing.
>
>(I ended up giving the rest of the anise cubes to a Dutch friend, who
>was very happy to have them.)

I'll bet she was!

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to James Bond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ovaltine malt.

We have hot dog shops where it is more common than not to have a
chocolate milk with the chili dogs.

Thomas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney said...

> On Thu, 21 May 2009 17:09:20 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig
> > wrote:
>

>>Me too! Me too!

> Me Three!!!
> The best is ice-cold whole milk (BAD4ME) then there
> spicy foods.
>>Lynn in Fargo
>>joining Damsel on Facebook "pro milk"!

> I will join y'all.
>
> Now, a question for all you milk lovers.. Do you get panicky if you
> run out of milk? Or close to running out? I do. I have to have a
> carton of milk at all times, in the house...
>
> Christine

Doesn't bother me at all. I only buy a half gallon at a time so it's my own
fault when I do run out. A gallon would probably spoil before I finished
it.

I guess what bothers me is to have to go to the ACME for a new half gallon
but more often than not, that turns into the familiar "what else do I need
'since I'm here'?". syndrome.

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-05-22, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> Now, a question for all you milk lovers.. Do you get panicky if you
> run out of milk? Or close to running out?

Only if I'm outta beer.

Used to be, a quart of milk would go bad before I finished it.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 May 2009 08:23:15 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Thu, 21 May 2009 17:09:20 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig
> wrote:
>

>>Me too! Me too!

>Me Three!!!
>The best is ice-cold whole milk (BAD4ME) then there
> spicy foods.
>>Lynn in Fargo
>>joining Damsel on Facebook "pro milk"!

>I will join y'all.
>
>Now, a question for all you milk lovers.. Do you get panicky if you
>run out of milk? Or close to running out? I do. I have to have a
>carton of milk at all times, in the house...

Yes, I do panic, and that's why I always have a carton of the
unrefrigerated milk on hand that I can pop in the fridge when needed.

Better than nothing.
--
mad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche > wrote:

> "James Silverton" > wrote:

>> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
>> a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
>> of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
>> skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
>> but most things savory do not help.

>It's extremely rare for me to drink a glass of milk at all, especially
>since we've started using low-fat milk.

>If we buy whole milk I'll sometimes drink it by itself, but I usually
>don't bother.

I think among adults I know, the fraction of those who will
drink a glass of milk with a meal is low, below 5%, possibly
below 2%.

It's possible it's the sort of question that people over-respond
to on polls (some of which are conducted by Milk Boards and such.)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 9:44*am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2009-05-22, Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
> > Now, a question for all you milk lovers.. * Do you get panicky if you
> > run out of milk? Or close to running out? *

> Only if I'm outta beer. *

I think that most folks don't find milk and beer to be quite that
equivalent.

> nb

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 10:23*am, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> Now, a question for all you milk lovers.. * Do you get panicky if you
> run out of milk? Or close to running out? * I do. *I have to have a
> carton of milk at all times, in the house...

Me, too, because I put milk in my coffee. I can't even imagine
drinking it black. That half-liter of coffee really sets me up for
the day.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I had 15 years of stomach problems before I figured out I had an
intolerance to milk. Now I only have Lactaid fat-free milk in the
house. I don't drink plain milk anymore, but use the Lactaid milk for
cereal and iced mocha drinks, and cooking, etc. After so many years of
fat-free, regular whole mlk gags me.

Denise

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel > wrote:

> On Fri, 22 May 2009 20:29:56 +1200, Miche >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Damsel > wrote:
> >
> >> I don't recall her name, but a long time ago, we had a poster from
> >> Holland who told me about a milk drink that's made over there. The
> >> stores sell sugar cubes with anise flavoring built in. Add that to
> >> hot milk for a very delightful bedtime beverage. I just use a
> >> spoonful of sugar and a couple drops of anise extract. It's
> >> delicious, assuming that you like the flavor of licorice.

> >Anijsmelk.

> Thank you!

Welcome.

> >I've tried it.
> >
> >It's... not my thing.
> >
> >(I ended up giving the rest of the anise cubes to a Dutch friend, who
> >was very happy to have them.)

> I'll bet she was!

Yeah, he was.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 10:19 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Kathleen" > wrote in message
>
> > A physician friend of mine postulates that most people who truly despise
> > milk have at least a mild intolerance - they lack the enzymes to properly
> > digest the sugars and/or proteins which triggers GI issues (which may be
> > mild) but their brain still makes the subconscious connection.

> Could be. I've also heard that the body will crave what it needs to survive
> so maybe the cheeses and custards make up for the straight milk deficiency.

Body craves what it needs to survive? Someone please explain to MY
body that I don't need dark chocolate to survive....

LOL.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 May 2009 22:36:30 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>Last glass of milk I drank was when I was about 14 and my mother made me
>drink the vile stuff.
>
>I like ice cream (especially a good vanilla) cheese, custard, whipped cream,
>and put milk in sauces, I just despise drinking it straight.

Same here, except I was about 5. I can remember sitting at the kitchen
table and not being allowed to get up until I finished my stupid glass
of milk. Amazing how parents can completely turn you off certain
foods.

But, like you, I thoroughly enjoy all kinds of alternative milk
products.

Jo Anne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 1:40*pm, Cindy Hamilton >
wrote:
> On May 22, 10:23*am, Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
> > Now, a question for all you milk lovers.. * Do you get panicky if you
> > run out of milk? Or close to running out? * I do. *I have to have a
> > carton of milk at all times, in the house...

> Me, too, because I put milk in my coffee. *I can't even imagine
> drinking it black. *That half-liter of coffee really sets me up for
> the day.

Are we gonna change this thread to "black vs. cream/sugar in my
coffee"?

I ask because I was a cream and sugarer for 28 years (omg!!), and last
year I finally started drinking my coffee black, and now I don't miss
my cream and sugar at all. Of course it helps that I drink really good
coffee too, but I always have. I'm a coffee snob! (Hey Bryan! Maybe I
should get an ID of "coffee snob"! ;-) )

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

>>> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they "Enjoy
>>> a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like the taste
>>> of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to store-bought
>>> skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable
>>> but most things savory do not help.

I grew up with buttermilk. I love the stuff.
But, it's getting harder and harder to find a good buttermilk.

I don't know how many "soured" containers I've returned to the grocer.
His comment; "How would you know the difference?"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How Do You Take Your Coffee/Tea? Was: The taste of milk

On Fri, 22 May 2009 17:26:35 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>Are we gonna change this thread to "black vs. cream/sugar in my
>coffee"?
>
>I ask because I was a cream and sugarer for 28 years (omg!!), and last
>year I finally started drinking my coffee black, and now I don't miss
>my cream and sugar at all. Of course it helps that I drink really good
>coffee too, but I always have. I'm a coffee snob! (Hey Bryan! Maybe I
>should get an ID of "coffee snob"! ;-) )
>
>John Kuthe...

I prefer cream, will use milk, and will tolerate creamer. No sugar,
the stuff in the creamer is bad enough. I don't believe that God
intended coffee to be sweet.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to James Bond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in
:

> Hello All!
>
> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that
> they "Enjoy a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I
> do not like the taste of milk and I've tried it from farm
> fresh unpasteurized to store-bought skim milk? If I can eat
> something sweet with it, milk becomes tolerable but most
> things savory do not help.

Gross stuff! But I'll drink a jug of buttermilk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel > wrote:

> On Fri, 22 May 2009 17:26:35 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
> >Are we gonna change this thread to "black vs. cream/sugar in my
> >coffee"?
> >
> >I ask because I was a cream and sugarer for 28 years (omg!!), and last
> >year I finally started drinking my coffee black, and now I don't miss
> >my cream and sugar at all. Of course it helps that I drink really good
> >coffee too, but I always have. I'm a coffee snob! (Hey Bryan! Maybe I
> >should get an ID of "coffee snob"! ;-) )
> >
> >John Kuthe...

> I prefer cream, will use milk, and will tolerate creamer. No sugar,
> the stuff in the creamer is bad enough. I don't believe that God
> intended coffee to be sweet.
>
> Carol

Mm. I use a bit of Splenda and heavy cream in Tea.

Coffee has been relegated to "treat" status due to it's effect on my
digestive system. Coffee gets a packet of sugar free hot cocoa, a
generous amount of heavy cream, and a shot of Brandy or Rum.

If I drink Tea iced, it's plain with no additives. Earl Gray's is good
that way!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> It is interesting to see the number of people who write that they
> "Enjoy a glass of milk" with a meal. Am I alone in that I do not like
> the taste of milk and I've tried it from farm fresh unpasteurized to
> store-bought skim milk? If I can eat something sweet with it, milk
> becomes tolerable but most things savory do not help.

To me there are some meals that just go with a glass of milk.
Eggs & toast (bacon optional) and pot roast with carrots and
potatoes. I have no idea why those particular meals go with a
nice cold glass of milk, but it's pretty much the only time I drink
it. Being that milk and my guts don't get along, I don't have it
very often.

It's also nice with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

nancy