Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pork roast left out overnight

We got in late from a trip to the city last night, and after unpacking
all our groceries a large boneless pork roast was left out to be put in
the freezer. This morning we noticed that it had been left out overnight
sitting on the counter. The house thermostat is turned down overnight,
and temps drop to about 16-17C, so the roast sat out on the counter for
about 12 hours. I put it in the freezer right away and I tend to think
its ok, since I am a hunter I usually hang meat for many days before
freezing, and I can't see how sitting overnight would harm it. My wife
however, is insisting we throw it out and not take chances.

The meat was still cool to the touch when I put it in the freezer, I
think its ok, what do the readers of this board think?

TIA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"GS" > wrote in message news:2dOzl.19042$Db2.17072@edtnps83...
> We got in late from a trip to the city last night, and after unpacking all
> our groceries a large boneless pork roast was left out to be put in the
> freezer. This morning we noticed that it had been left out overnight
> sitting on the counter. The house thermostat is turned down overnight, and
> temps drop to about 16-17C, so the roast sat out on the counter for about
> 12 hours. I put it in the freezer right away and I tend to think its ok,
> since I am a hunter I usually hang meat for many days before freezing, and
> I can't see how sitting overnight would harm it. My wife however, is
> insisting we throw it out and not take chances.
>
> The meat was still cool to the touch when I put it in the freezer, I think
> its ok, what do the readers of this board think?

Did your grandparents die of food poisoning?
IOW Don't worry!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <2dOzl.19042$Db2.17072@edtnps83>, GS > wrote:
> The meat was still cool to the touch when I put it in the freezer, I
> think its ok, what do the readers of this board think?
>

> TIA

I would have adjusted the plan for it, roasted it and then would have
frozen it.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - pot pie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 29, 1:28*pm, GS > wrote:
> We got in late from a trip to the city last night, and after unpacking
> all our groceries a large boneless pork roast was left out to be put in
> the freezer. This morning we noticed that it had been left out overnight
> * sitting on the counter. The house thermostat is turned down overnight,
> and temps drop to about 16-17C, so the roast sat out on the counter for
> about 12 hours. I put it in the freezer right away and I tend to think
> its ok, since I am a hunter I usually hang meat for many days before
> freezing, and I can't see how sitting overnight would harm it. My wife
> however, is insisting we throw it out and not take chances.
>
> The meat was still cool to the touch when I put it in the freezer, I
> think its ok, what do the readers of this board think?
>
> TIA

I would think that if it was still cool to the touch, it would be OK.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article <2dOzl.19042$Db2.17072@edtnps83>, GS > wrote:
>> The meat was still cool to the touch when I put it in the freezer, I
>> think its ok, what do the readers of this board think?
>>

>> TIA

> I would have adjusted the plan for it, roasted it and then would have
> frozen it.

I would have roasted and eat it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <2dOzl.19042$Db2.17072@edtnps83>, GS > wrote:

> We got in late from a trip to the city last night, and after unpacking
> all our groceries a large boneless pork roast was left out to be put in
> the freezer. This morning we noticed that it had been left out overnight
> sitting on the counter. The house thermostat is turned down overnight,
> and temps drop to about 16-17C, so the roast sat out on the counter for
> about 12 hours. I put it in the freezer right away and I tend to think
> its ok, since I am a hunter I usually hang meat for many days before
> freezing, and I can't see how sitting overnight would harm it. My wife
> however, is insisting we throw it out and not take chances.
>
> The meat was still cool to the touch when I put it in the freezer, I
> think its ok, what do the readers of this board think?
>

> TIA

I'd still use it. Sounds just fine to me!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

GS > wrote:

> We got in late from a trip to the city last night, and after unpacking
> all our groceries a large boneless pork roast was left out to be put in
> the freezer. This morning we noticed that it had been left out overnight
> sitting on the counter. The house thermostat is turned down overnight,
> and temps drop to about 16-17C, so the roast sat out on the counter for
> about 12 hours. I put it in the freezer right away and I tend to think
> its ok, since I am a hunter I usually hang meat for many days before
> freezing, and I can't see how sitting overnight would harm it. My wife
> however, is insisting we throw it out and not take chances.
>
> The meat was still cool to the touch when I put it in the freezer, I
> think its ok, what do the readers of this board think?

If it was cryovaced, then I would have cooed it right away. If it
wasn't cryovaced, then I'd pitch it; Don't even waste your
time on it.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> GS > wrote:
>
>> We got in late from a trip to the city last night, and after unpacking
>> all our groceries a large boneless pork roast was left out to be put in
>> the freezer. This morning we noticed that it had been left out overnight
>> sitting on the counter. The house thermostat is turned down overnight,
>> and temps drop to about 16-17C, so the roast sat out on the counter for
>> about 12 hours. I put it in the freezer right away and I tend to think
>> its ok, since I am a hunter I usually hang meat for many days before
>> freezing, and I can't see how sitting overnight would harm it. My wife
>> however, is insisting we throw it out and not take chances.
>>
>> The meat was still cool to the touch when I put it in the freezer, I
>> think its ok, what do the readers of this board think?

> If it was cryovaced, then I would have cooed it right away. If it
> wasn't cryovaced, then I'd pitch it; Don't even waste your
> time on it.
>
> -sw

Hmmmm.... I would use it myself.... It was still cool to the touch, and
temperature was reasonably low, added to being overnight....If it smelt
ok...I would use it.... I would be inclined though to cook it that day after
spending the day in the fridge....

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bigbazza" > wrote in message

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> GS > wrote:
>>
>>> We got in late from a trip to the city last night, and after unpacking
>>> all our groceries a large boneless pork roast was left out to be put in
>>> the freezer. This morning we noticed that it had been left out overnight
>>> sitting on the counter. The house thermostat is turned down overnight,
>>> and temps drop to about 16-17C, so the roast sat out on the counter for
>>> about 12 hours. I put it in the freezer right away and I tend to think
>>> its ok, since I am a hunter I usually hang meat for many days before
>>> freezing, and I can't see how sitting overnight would harm it. My wife
>>> however, is insisting we throw it out and not take chances.
>>>
>>> The meat was still cool to the touch when I put it in the freezer, I
>>> think its ok, what do the readers of this board think?

>> If it was cryovaced, then I would have cooed it right away. If it
>> wasn't cryovaced, then I'd pitch it; Don't even waste your
>> time on it.
>>
>> -sw

> Hmmmm.... I would use it myself.... It was still cool to the touch, and
> temperature was reasonably low, added to being overnight....If it smelt
> ok...I would use it.... I would be inclined though to cook it that day
> after spending the day in the fridge....
>
> Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Were it small cuts, say sliced into thin chops, I would toss it (too much
surface and the knife used would've dragged bacteria over the entire cut
surface). But it's a large solid hunk and the interior of meat is
sterile... were it still wrapped from the market any bacteria growth on the
surface could not have moved into the interior within so short a period as
twelve hours, and it's not like it was left out in the trunk of a car in 90
degrees. I would have removed the wrapping, rinsed the meat under cold
running water, patted dry with paper towels, seasoned, and popped it into a
hot oven... any bacteria on the surface would be killed within ten minutes
(if really concerned douse the meat heavily with kosher salt and place into
the fridge for 15 minutes, then rinse again)... then lower the heat to
medium and continue roasting. Large hunks of meat doesn't spoil in such a
short period... who knows where that hunk of meat has been before it was
purchased...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"brooklyn1" > wrote:

> Were it small cuts, say sliced into thin chops, I would toss it (too much
> surface and the knife used would've dragged bacteria over the entire cut
> surface). But it's a large solid hunk and the interior of meat is
> sterile... were it still wrapped from the market any bacteria growth on the
> surface could not have moved into the interior within so short a period as
> twelve hours, and it's not like it was left out in the trunk of a car in 90
> degrees. I would have removed the wrapping, rinsed the meat under cold
> running water, patted dry with paper towels, seasoned, and popped it into a
> hot oven... any bacteria on the surface would be killed within ten minutes
> (if really concerned douse the meat heavily with kosher salt and place into
> the fridge for 15 minutes, then rinse again)... then lower the heat to
> medium and continue roasting. Large hunks of meat doesn't spoil in such a
> short period... who knows where that hunk of meat has been before it was
> purchased...

My mom used to use a vinegar wash to disinfect an iffy thawed chunk of
meat. It works well.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "brooklyn1" > wrote:
>
>> Were it small cuts, say sliced into thin chops, I would toss it (too much
>> surface and the knife used would've dragged bacteria over the entire cut
>> surface). But it's a large solid hunk and the interior of meat is
>> sterile... were it still wrapped from the market any bacteria growth on
>> the
>> surface could not have moved into the interior within so short a period
>> as
>> twelve hours, and it's not like it was left out in the trunk of a car in
>> 90
>> degrees. I would have removed the wrapping, rinsed the meat under cold
>> running water, patted dry with paper towels, seasoned, and popped it into
>> hot oven... any bacteria on the surface would be killed within ten
>> minutes
>> (if really concerned douse the meat heavily with kosher salt and place
>> into
>> the fridge for 15 minutes, then rinse again)... then lower the heat to
>> medium and continue roasting. Large hunks of meat doesn't spoil in such
>> short period... who knows where that hunk of meat has been before it was
>> purchased...

> My mom used to use a vinegar wash to disinfect an iffy thawed chunk of
> meat. It works well.
> --
> Peace! Om

I have also done that myself from time to time...

Bigbazza (Barry)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message

> My mom used to use a vinegar wash to disinfect an iffy thawed chunk of
> meat. It works well.

How do you know that it works?

(Definitive would be to culture unwashed and washed pieces of
meat and see what grows...)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bigbazza > wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> GS > wrote:
>>
>>> We got in late from a trip to the city last night, and after unpacking
>>> all our groceries a large boneless pork roast was left out to be put in
>>> the freezer. This morning we noticed that it had been left out overnight
>>> sitting on the counter. The house thermostat is turned down overnight,
>>> and temps drop to about 16-17C, so the roast sat out on the counter for
>>> about 12 hours. I put it in the freezer right away and I tend to think
>>> its ok, since I am a hunter I usually hang meat for many days before
>>> freezing, and I can't see how sitting overnight would harm it. My wife
>>> however, is insisting we throw it out and not take chances.
>>>
>>> The meat was still cool to the touch when I put it in the freezer, I
>>> think its ok, what do the readers of this board think?

>> If it was cryovaced, then I would have cooed it right away. If it
>> wasn't cryovaced, then I'd pitch it; Don't even waste your
>> time on it.
>>
>> -sw

> Hmmmm.... I would use it myself.... It was still cool to the touch, and
> temperature was reasonably low, added to being overnight....

It was at 62F for 12 hours. It's trash if it wasn't cryovaced.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bigbazza" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "brooklyn1" > wrote:
> >
> >> Were it small cuts, say sliced into thin chops, I would toss it (too much
> >> surface and the knife used would've dragged bacteria over the entire cut
> >> surface). But it's a large solid hunk and the interior of meat is
> >> sterile... were it still wrapped from the market any bacteria growth on
> >> the
> >> surface could not have moved into the interior within so short a period
> >> as
> >> twelve hours, and it's not like it was left out in the trunk of a car in
> >> 90
> >> degrees. I would have removed the wrapping, rinsed the meat under cold
> >> running water, patted dry with paper towels, seasoned, and popped it into
> >> hot oven... any bacteria on the surface would be killed within ten
> >> minutes
> >> (if really concerned douse the meat heavily with kosher salt and place
> >> into
> >> the fridge for 15 minutes, then rinse again)... then lower the heat to
> >> medium and continue roasting. Large hunks of meat doesn't spoil in such
> >> short period... who knows where that hunk of meat has been before it was
> >> purchased...

> > My mom used to use a vinegar wash to disinfect an iffy thawed chunk of
> > meat. It works well.
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >

> I have also done that myself from time to time...
>
> Bigbazza (Barry)

Thank you. :-)
I've used it on "iffy" chicken" with no ill effect.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.