Old 29-03-2009, 06:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pork roast left out overnight

We got in late from a trip to the city last night, and after unpacking
all our groceries a large boneless pork roast was left out to be put in
the freezer. This morning we noticed that it had been left out overnight
sitting on the counter. The house thermostat is turned down overnight,
and temps drop to about 16-17C, so the roast sat out on the counter for
about 12 hours. I put it in the freezer right away and I tend to think
its ok, since I am a hunter I usually hang meat for many days before
freezing, and I can't see how sitting overnight would harm it. My wife
however, is insisting we throw it out and not take chances.

The meat was still cool to the touch when I put it in the freezer, I
think its ok, what do the readers of this board think?

TIA

Old 29-03-2009, 06:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"GS" wrote in message news:[email protected]
We got in late from a trip to the city last night, and after unpacking all
our groceries a large boneless pork roast was left out to be put in the
freezer. This morning we noticed that it had been left out overnight
sitting on the counter. The house thermostat is turned down overnight, and
temps drop to about 16-17C, so the roast sat out on the counter for about
12 hours. I put it in the freezer right away and I tend to think its ok,
since I am a hunter I usually hang meat for many days before freezing, and
I can't see how sitting overnight would harm it. My wife however, is
insisting we throw it out and not take chances.

The meat was still cool to the touch when I put it in the freezer, I think
its ok, what do the readers of this board think?

Did your grandparents die of food poisoning?
IOW Don't worry!

Old 29-03-2009, 06:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article [email protected], GS wrote:
The meat was still cool to the touch when I put it in the freezer, I
think its ok, what do the readers of this board think?

TIA

I would have adjusted the plan for it, roasted it and then would have
frozen it.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - pot pie
Old 29-03-2009, 06:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 29, 1:28*pm, GS wrote:
We got in late from a trip to the city last night, and after unpacking
all our groceries a large boneless pork roast was left out to be put in
the freezer. This morning we noticed that it had been left out overnight
* sitting on the counter. The house thermostat is turned down overnight,
and temps drop to about 16-17C, so the roast sat out on the counter for
about 12 hours. I put it in the freezer right away and I tend to think
its ok, since I am a hunter I usually hang meat for many days before
freezing, and I can't see how sitting overnight would harm it. My wife
however, is insisting we throw it out and not take chances.

The meat was still cool to the touch when I put it in the freezer, I
think its ok, what do the readers of this board think?

TIA

I would think that if it was still cool to the touch, it would be OK.

Kris
Old 29-03-2009, 07:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
In article [email protected], GS wrote:
The meat was still cool to the touch when I put it in the freezer, I
think its ok, what do the readers of this board think?

TIA

I would have adjusted the plan for it, roasted it and then would have
frozen it.

I would have roasted and eat it.

Old 29-03-2009, 10:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article [email protected], GS wrote:

We got in late from a trip to the city last night, and after unpacking
all our groceries a large boneless pork roast was left out to be put in
the freezer. This morning we noticed that it had been left out overnight
sitting on the counter. The house thermostat is turned down overnight,
and temps drop to about 16-17C, so the roast sat out on the counter for
about 12 hours. I put it in the freezer right away and I tend to think
its ok, since I am a hunter I usually hang meat for many days before
freezing, and I can't see how sitting overnight would harm it. My wife
however, is insisting we throw it out and not take chances.

The meat was still cool to the touch when I put it in the freezer, I
think its ok, what do the readers of this board think?

TIA

I'd still use it. Sounds just fine to me!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Old 30-03-2009, 01:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

GS wrote:

We got in late from a trip to the city last night, and after unpacking
all our groceries a large boneless pork roast was left out to be put in
the freezer. This morning we noticed that it had been left out overnight
sitting on the counter. The house thermostat is turned down overnight,
and temps drop to about 16-17C, so the roast sat out on the counter for
about 12 hours. I put it in the freezer right away and I tend to think
its ok, since I am a hunter I usually hang meat for many days before
freezing, and I can't see how sitting overnight would harm it. My wife
however, is insisting we throw it out and not take chances.

The meat was still cool to the touch when I put it in the freezer, I
think its ok, what do the readers of this board think?

If it was cryovaced, then I would have cooed it right away. If it
wasn't cryovaced, then I'd pitch it; Don't even waste your
time on it.

-sw
Old 30-03-2009, 08:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
GS wrote:

[...]

Hmmmm.... I would use it myself.... It was still cool to the touch, and
temperature was reasonably low, added to being overnight....If it smelt
ok...I would use it.... I would be inclined though to cook it that day after
spending the day in the fridge....

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Old 30-03-2009, 03:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bigbazza" wrote in message

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
GS wrote:

[...]

Were it small cuts, say sliced into thin chops, I would toss it (too much
surface and the knife used would've dragged bacteria over the entire cut
surface). But it's a large solid hunk and the interior of meat is
sterile... were it still wrapped from the market any bacteria growth on the
surface could not have moved into the interior within so short a period as
twelve hours, and it's not like it was left out in the trunk of a car in 90
degrees. I would have removed the wrapping, rinsed the meat under cold
running water, patted dry with paper towels, seasoned, and popped it into a
hot oven... any bacteria on the surface would be killed within ten minutes
(if really concerned douse the meat heavily with kosher salt and place into
the fridge for 15 minutes, then rinse again)... then lower the heat to
medium and continue roasting. Large hunks of meat doesn't spoil in such a
short period... who knows where that hunk of meat has been before it was
purchased...

Old 30-03-2009, 05:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

[...]

My mom used to use a vinegar wash to disinfect an iffy thawed chunk of
meat. It works well.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Old 31-03-2009, 01:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

[...]

I have also done that myself from time to time...

Bigbazza (Barry)

Old 31-03-2009, 01:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote in message

My mom used to use a vinegar wash to disinfect an iffy thawed chunk of
meat. It works well.

How do you know that it works?

(Definitive would be to culture unwashed and washed pieces of
meat and see what grows...)

Steve
Old 31-03-2009, 02:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bigbazza wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
GS wrote:

[...]

It was at 62F for 12 hours. It's trash if it wasn't cryovaced.

-sw
Old 31-03-2009, 08:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Bigbazza" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

[...]

Thank you. :-)
I've used it on "iffy" chicken" with no ill effect.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.