Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default pork roast left out overnight

"Bigbazza" > wrote in message

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> GS > wrote:
>>
>>> We got in late from a trip to the city last night, and after unpacking
>>> all our groceries a large boneless pork roast was left out to be put in
>>> the freezer. This morning we noticed that it had been left out overnight
>>> sitting on the counter. The house thermostat is turned down overnight,
>>> and temps drop to about 16-17C, so the roast sat out on the counter for
>>> about 12 hours. I put it in the freezer right away and I tend to think
>>> its ok, since I am a hunter I usually hang meat for many days before
>>> freezing, and I can't see how sitting overnight would harm it. My wife
>>> however, is insisting we throw it out and not take chances.
>>>
>>> The meat was still cool to the touch when I put it in the freezer, I
>>> think its ok, what do the readers of this board think?

>> If it was cryovaced, then I would have cooed it right away. If it
>> wasn't cryovaced, then I'd pitch it; Don't even waste your
>> time on it.
>>
>> -sw

> Hmmmm.... I would use it myself.... It was still cool to the touch, and
> temperature was reasonably low, added to being overnight....If it smelt
> ok...I would use it.... I would be inclined though to cook it that day
> after spending the day in the fridge....
>
> Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Were it small cuts, say sliced into thin chops, I would toss it (too much
surface and the knife used would've dragged bacteria over the entire cut
surface). But it's a large solid hunk and the interior of meat is
sterile... were it still wrapped from the market any bacteria growth on the
surface could not have moved into the interior within so short a period as
twelve hours, and it's not like it was left out in the trunk of a car in 90
degrees. I would have removed the wrapping, rinsed the meat under cold
running water, patted dry with paper towels, seasoned, and popped it into a
hot oven... any bacteria on the surface would be killed within ten minutes
(if really concerned douse the meat heavily with kosher salt and place into
the fridge for 15 minutes, then rinse again)... then lower the heat to
medium and continue roasting. Large hunks of meat doesn't spoil in such a
short period... who knows where that hunk of meat has been before it was
purchased...