Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Left book out overnight

I dropped off a book for my sister in law. No one
was home so I left it on the back stoop in a plastic
grocery bag. I think maybe they went out of town and
I'm not sure they'll be back tonight.

Temps are going to be hovering around freezing. Do you
think the book will be safe to read?

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2014 6:11 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> I dropped off a book for my sister in law. No one
> was home so I left it on the back stoop in a plastic
> grocery bag. I think maybe they went out of town and
> I'm not sure they'll be back tonight.
>
> Temps are going to be hovering around freezing. Do you
> think the book will be safe to read?
>
> nancy

Around freezing? The book should be fine. I'd be worried about the
plastic grocery bag maybe getting damp and sticking to the cover, though.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 18:11:58 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>I dropped off a book for my sister in law. No one
>was home so I left it on the back stoop in a plastic
>grocery bag. I think maybe they went out of town and
>I'm not sure they'll be back tonight.
>
>Temps are going to be hovering around freezing. Do you
>think the book will be safe to read?

I'd be more concerned about the raccoons selling it at the 2nd hand
book store.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2014 6:17 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/30/2014 6:11 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> I dropped off a book for my sister in law. No one
>> was home so I left it on the back stoop in a plastic
>> grocery bag. I think maybe they went out of town and
>> I'm not sure they'll be back tonight.
>>
>> Temps are going to be hovering around freezing. Do you
>> think the book will be safe to read?

> Around freezing? The book should be fine. I'd be worried about the
> plastic grocery bag maybe getting damp and sticking to the cover,
> though.

Oh, so she can just peel off the outside. (laugh) I knew
I should have looked for a sturdier bag on the way out the
door. Oh, well. It's not a priceless first edition or anything.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 3:12:06 PM UTC-8, Nancy Young wrote:
> I dropped off a book for my sister in law. No one
> was home so I left it on the back stoop in a plastic
> grocery bag. I think maybe they went out of town and
> I'm not sure they'll be back tonight.
>
> Temps are going to be hovering around freezing. Do you
> think the book will be safe to read?

MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark
All the sweet, green icing flowing down
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again
Oh no!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPMpeNDIGdk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 5:12:06 PM UTC-6, Nancy Young wrote:

> I dropped off a book for my sister in law. No one
> was home so I left it on the back stoop in a plastic
> grocery bag. I think maybe they went out of town and
> I'm not sure they'll be back tonight.
>
> Temps are going to be hovering around freezing. Do you
> think the book will be safe to read?
>
> nancy

If it's damp or rainy outside the pages will be damp and stick together rendering the book unreadable. If this is the case, tell them to toss the book. Tsk, tsk, what were you thinking?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 6:12:06 PM UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:
> I dropped off a book for my sister in law. No one
> was home so I left it on the back stoop in a plastic
> grocery bag. I think maybe they went out of town and
> I'm not sure they'll be back tonight.
>
> Temps are going to be hovering around freezing. Do you
> think the book will be safe to read?
>
> nancy

ONly if it contains no dairy.

This IS a joke, no?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Point: In college, I worked in the library bookbindery. If you must
do this, wrap the book first in absorbant matrial, be it paper towel,
or, as we used to recommend, brown grocery sack. It's the moisture
that causes the damage. Better, put it into a foodsaver bag and suck
it down. I do this with my rare books because where I live, we have
hurricanes.

A-

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 18:35:08 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 12/30/2014 6:27 PM, wrote:
>> On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 3:12:06 PM UTC-8, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Temps are going to be hovering around freezing. Do you
>>> think the book will be safe to read?
>>>

>> MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark
>> All the sweet, green icing flowing down
>> Someone left the cake out in the rain
>> I don't think that I can take it
>> 'Cause it took so long to bake it
>> And I'll never have that recipe again
>> Oh no!

>Heh. I know if it rains, that book is toast.
>
>nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 18:11:58 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> I dropped off a book for my sister in law. No one
> was home so I left it on the back stoop in a plastic
> grocery bag. I think maybe they went out of town and
> I'm not sure they'll be back tonight.
>
> Temps are going to be hovering around freezing. Do you
> think the book will be safe to read?

Did you see this?
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/23/reading-before-bed_n_6372828.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063>

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>ONly if it contains no dairy.

Wait! is this about lactose intolerance?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2014 7:19 PM, Chemiker wrote:
> Point: In college, I worked in the library bookbindery. If you must
> do this, wrap the book first in absorbant matrial, be it paper towel,
> or, as we used to recommend, brown grocery sack. It's the moisture
> that causes the damage. Better, put it into a foodsaver bag and suck
> it down. I do this with my rare books because where I live, we have
> hurricanes.

That's one way to save them! This is just a recent hardcover,
I'd rather it not be ruined but it's certainly replaceable.

I repaired books at the library where I worked as a teenager,
but nothing like what you did.

nancy

> On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 18:35:08 -0500, Nancy Young
> > wrote:

>>> MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark
>>> All the sweet, green icing flowing down
>>> Someone left the cake out in the rain
>>> I don't think that I can take it
>>> 'Cause it took so long to bake it
>>> And I'll never have that recipe again
>>> Oh no!

>> Heh. I know if it rains, that book is toast.
>>
>> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2014 7:19 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 18:11:58 -0500, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>> I dropped off a book for my sister in law. No one
>> was home so I left it on the back stoop in a plastic
>> grocery bag. I think maybe they went out of town and
>> I'm not sure they'll be back tonight.
>>
>> Temps are going to be hovering around freezing. Do you
>> think the book will be safe to read?
>>

> Did you see this?
> <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/23/reading-before-bed_n_6372828.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063>

A new danger! I'll be sure to warn her not to read it before
bed, and not on a screen. Heh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 4:12:41 PM UTC-8, Kalmia wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 6:12:06 PM UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:
> > I dropped off a book for my sister in law. No one
> > was home so I left it on the back stoop in a plastic
> > grocery bag. I think maybe they went out of town and
> > I'm not sure they'll be back tonight.
> >
> > Temps are going to be hovering around freezing. Do you
> > think the book will be safe to read?
> >
> > nancy

> ONly if it contains no dairy.
>
> This IS a joke, no?

But what if it's a diary?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2014 8:13 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 12/30/2014 7:19 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 18:11:58 -0500, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I dropped off a book for my sister in law. No one
>>> was home so I left it on the back stoop in a plastic
>>> grocery bag. I think maybe they went out of town and
>>> I'm not sure they'll be back tonight.
>>>
>>> Temps are going to be hovering around freezing. Do you
>>> think the book will be safe to read?
>>>

>> Did you see this?
>> <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/23/reading-before-bed_n_6372828.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063>
>>

> A new danger! I'll be sure to warn her not to read it before
> bed, and not on a screen. Heh.
>
> nancy

Oh dear! I read the article and the saw the glaring photo of some guy
reading in bed, from a backlit screen. He's apparently reading in the
dark. Is that how people who read books on screens read? In the dark,
practically under the covers?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 5:27:15 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 3:12:06 PM UTC-8, Nancy Young wrote:
> > I dropped off a book for my sister in law. No one
> > was home so I left it on the back stoop in a plastic
> > grocery bag. I think maybe they went out of town and
> > I'm not sure they'll be back tonight.
> >
> > Temps are going to be hovering around freezing. Do you
> > think the book will be safe to read?
> >

> MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark
> All the sweet, green icing flowing down
> Someone left the cake out in the rain
> I don't think that I can take it
> 'Cause it took so long to bake it
> And I'll never have that recipe again
> Oh no!
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPMpeNDIGdk

That song is so damned absurd that it is bordering on good, even great.
In fact, I'll go so far as to declare the song, "beautiful." Jimmy Webb
wrote beautiful love songs that brought more love into existence. His
songs celebrated love, and while I have yet to assemble a collection (mix
tape) of Webb songs as a soundtrack for *lovemaking*, that seems like an
awfully good idea.

Valentine's Day 2015: tears and kisses, and more and more kisses, more
tears and more kisses; reflection, honest reflection to the extent that is
appropriate for each of you, accompanied by tender affection. Follow that
up with great sex, or sleeping in each others arms, knowing what the morning
will bring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MiQzAo6Cp8 Yeah. It's like that.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/30/2014 8:13 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 12/30/2014 7:19 PM, sf wrote:
>>> On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 18:11:58 -0500, Nancy Young

>>> Did you see this?
>>> <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/23/reading-before-bed_n_6372828.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063>
>>>

>> A new danger! I'll be sure to warn her not to read it before
>> bed, and not on a screen. Heh.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> Oh dear! I read the article and the saw the glaring photo of some guy
> reading in bed, from a backlit screen. He's apparently reading in the
> dark. Is that how people who read books on screens read? In the dark,
> practically under the covers?

he is reliving his youth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-30 18:11, Nancy Young wrote:
> I dropped off a book for my sister in law. No one
> was home so I left it on the back stoop in a plastic
> grocery bag. I think maybe they went out of town and
> I'm not sure they'll be back tonight.
>
> Temps are going to be hovering around freezing. Do you
> think the book will be safe to read?

Sure, but the content might be difficult to digest.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30-Dec-2014, Nancy Young > wrote:

> I dropped off a book for my sister in law. No one
> was home so I left it on the back stoop in a plastic
> grocery bag. I think maybe they went out of town and
> I'm not sure they'll be back tonight.
>
> Temps are going to be hovering around freezing. Do you
> think the book will be safe to read?
>
> nancy

unless it was gluten-free it was never safe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2014 9:36 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 30-Dec-2014, Nancy Young > wrote:
>
>> I dropped off a book for my sister in law. No one
>> was home so I left it on the back stoop in a plastic
>> grocery bag. I think maybe they went out of town and
>> I'm not sure they'll be back tonight.
>>
>> Temps are going to be hovering around freezing. Do you
>> think the book will be safe to read?
>>
>> nancy

> unless it was gluten-free it was never safe.

And organic!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2014 9:36 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 30-Dec-2014, Nancy Young > wrote:

>> Temps are going to be hovering around freezing. Do you
>> think the book will be safe to read?

> unless it was gluten-free it was never safe.

You and Dave might be right. I should head back up there
tomorrow first thing before anyone gets sick.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 12/30/2014 9:36 PM, l not -l wrote:
>> On 30-Dec-2014, Nancy Young > wrote:

>>> Temps are going to be hovering around freezing. Do you
>>> think the book will be safe to read?

>> unless it was gluten-free it was never safe.

> You and Dave might be right. I should head back up there
> tomorrow first thing before anyone gets sick.

Nancy, just what is this book ... ??

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2014 5:11 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> I dropped off a book for my sister in law. No one
> was home so I left it on the back stoop in a plastic
> grocery bag. I think maybe they went out of town and
> I'm not sure they'll be back tonight.
>
> Temps are going to be hovering around freezing. Do you
> think the book will be safe to read?

Noooo!!! 'Cause if it gets cold, it'll get damp. Damp means mold, and
she's allergic to mold. Are you trying to kill your SIL?

....wait. You're trolling us. You'd never give your SIL a book,
because nobody in her house likes them. Besides, I remember you
telling us the psychic said she should avoid things made of paper.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> I dropped off a book for my sister in law. No one
> was home so I left it on the back stoop in a plastic
> grocery bag. I think maybe they went out of town and
> I'm not sure they'll be back tonight.
>
> Temps are going to be hovering around freezing. Do you
> think the book will be safe to read?

At around freezing, it will be save to read and also to eat. Just warm
it up a bit first.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/31/2014 8:52 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
> On 12/30/2014 5:11 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Temps are going to be hovering around freezing. Do you
>> think the book will be safe to read?
>>

> Noooo!!! 'Cause if it gets cold, it'll get damp. Damp means mold, and
> she's allergic to mold. Are you trying to kill your SIL?

No, I love my sil. That's why I asked.

Crisis averted, turns out my brother was home, but upstairs
working, and didn't get to the door in time. I was late,
I didn't hang out waiting too long. All's well that ends
well.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 8:53:00 AM UTC-5, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

> Noooo!!! 'Cause if it gets cold, it'll get damp. Damp means mold, and
> she's allergic to mold. Are you trying to kill your SIL?

> ...wait. You're trolling us. You'd never give your SIL a book,
> because nobody in her house likes them. Besides, I remember you
> telling us the psychic said she should avoid things made of paper.

Finally, the correct answer.
+1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/31/2014 9:16 AM, Thomas wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 8:53:00 AM UTC-5, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
>>
>> Noooo!!! 'Cause if it gets cold, it'll get damp. Damp means mold, and
>> she's allergic to mold. Are you trying to kill your SIL?

>> ...wait. You're trolling us. You'd never give your SIL a book,
>> because nobody in her house likes them. Besides, I remember you
>> telling us the psychic said she should avoid things made of paper.

> Finally, the correct answer.
> +1

For real? Clearly you have me confused with someone else.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2014 09:19:59 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 12/31/2014 9:16 AM, Thomas wrote:
> > On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 8:53:00 AM UTC-5, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
> >>
> >> Noooo!!! 'Cause if it gets cold, it'll get damp. Damp means mold, and
> >> she's allergic to mold. Are you trying to kill your SIL?

> >> ...wait. You're trolling us. You'd never give your SIL a book,
> >> because nobody in her house likes them. Besides, I remember you
> >> telling us the psychic said she should avoid things made of paper.

> > Finally, the correct answer.
> > +1
> >

> For real? Clearly you have me confused with someone else.

Absolutely. They need to get their players straight before they start
being sarcastic.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/31/2014 8:19 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 12/31/2014 9:16 AM, Thomas wrote:
>> On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 8:53:00 AM UTC-5, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
>>>
>>> Noooo!!! 'Cause if it gets cold, it'll get damp. Damp means mold, and
>>> she's allergic to mold. Are you trying to kill your SIL?

>>> ...wait. You're trolling us. You'd never give your SIL a book,
>>> because nobody in her house likes them. Besides, I remember you
>>> telling us the psychic said she should avoid things made of paper.

>> Finally, the correct answer.
>> +1
>>

> For real? Clearly you have me confused with someone else.

The person it was directed at will never get the joke, being that she
possesses the same level of self-insight as a chunk of granite.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/31/2014 10:52 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
> On 12/31/2014 8:19 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Finally, the correct answer.
>>> +1
>>>

>> For real? Clearly you have me confused with someone else.
>>

> The person it was directed at will never get the joke, being that she
> possesses the same level of self-insight as a chunk of granite.

That's the way I took it but then people agree, like it's
not just a little joke on the Is it safe threads. Just
having a little fun.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 8:53:00 AM UTC-5, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
> On 12/30/2014 5:11 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> > I dropped off a book for my sister in law. No one
> > was home so I left it on the back stoop in a plastic
> > grocery bag. I think maybe they went out of town and
> > I'm not sure they'll be back tonight.
> >
> > Temps are going to be hovering around freezing. Do you
> > think the book will be safe to read?
> >

> Noooo!!! 'Cause if it gets cold, it'll get damp. Damp means mold, and
> she's allergic to mold. Are you trying to kill your SIL?

> ...wait. You're trolling us. You'd never give your SIL a book,
> because nobody in her house likes them. Besides, I remember you
> telling us the psychic said she should avoid things made of paper.

Believe only CAT psychics, people.