Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I left a 2# bag of carrots in my truck overnight

....and they froze. (It was an accident.) What's the best way to still
use them? Some kind of carrot soup?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 23:26:17 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>...and they froze. (It was an accident.) What's the best way to still
>use them? Some kind of carrot soup?
>
>Bob

I'd cook them then give them a few pulses in the food processor. Then
package them up in 1 cup amounts in ziploc bags then freeze.

They'll be great for carrot cakes, soups, meatloaf etc.....
Puree some and add to pancake batter with some cinnamon.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 2/24
"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> ...and they froze. (It was an accident.) What's the best way to still
> use them? Some kind of carrot soup?
>
> Bob

Try cooking them all now, just as if you were going to cook a bag of
purchased frozen carrots. Then you can decide what to do with them.

Here is a simple soup I enjoy very much. I've used both fresh and frozen
cauliflower and carrots with equal results. We garnish each serving with
a hot Mongolian chili oil before serving.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cauliflower Carrot Soup

6 cups chicken broth
4 cups cauliflower -- chopped
2 cups sliced carrot
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper -- to taste

In large saucepan or dutch oven, add all ingredients except salt and
white pepper. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 25
minutes. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
Puree with stick blender and serve.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> ...and they froze. (It was an accident.) What's the best way to
>> still use them? Some kind of carrot soup?
>>
>> Bob

> Try cooking them all now, just as if you were going to cook a bag of
> purchased frozen carrots. Then you can decide what to do with them.
>
> Here is a simple soup I enjoy very much. I've used both fresh and frozen
> cauliflower and carrots with equal results. We garnish each serving with
> a hot Mongolian chili oil before serving.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Cauliflower Carrot Soup

> 6 cups chicken broth
> 4 cups cauliflower -- chopped
> 2 cups sliced carrot
> 1/2 cup chopped onion
> 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
> salt and pepper -- to taste
>
> In large saucepan or dutch oven, add all ingredients except salt and
> white pepper. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 25
> minutes. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
> Puree with stick blender and serve.

How do you think it would be with broccoli instead of cauliflower? (I
have a huge bag of broccoli in the fridge.) Actually, rutabagas might
be closer (and certainly look better) and I've got one of those too...

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> ...and they froze. �(It was an accident.) �What's the best way to still
> use them?

Compost.

Not worth compromising a bunch of more costly ingredients and
expending the time and labor over a dollar or two worth of slimey
carrots.

Do you have deer browsing in your yard, I know mine will eat frozen
carrots while still frozen. When I woke up this morning (6PM) my
personal weather station said the temperature outside my window was -
8.5F, that's minus 8.5... the tv news said there was a new record set
for this date in NY's capitol region.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> ...and they froze. (It was an accident.) What's the best way to still
> use them? Some kind of carrot soup?
>
> Bob

Move back to East Texas and that won't happen again. Frozen carrots can
used in any cooked dish you desire Bob. We grow a good bit of carrots
and I slice, blanch, and freeze them for use in soups and stews.

George
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> ...and they froze. (It was an accident.) What's the best way to
>> still use them? Some kind of carrot soup?
>>
>> Bob

> Move back to East Texas and that won't happen again.

I'm workin' on it. Trying to get DD into Rice University.

Hmmm... Carrots and rice...

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
>> zxcvbob wrote:
>>> ...and they froze. (It was an accident.) What's the best way to
>>> still use them? Some kind of carrot soup?
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Move back to East Texas and that won't happen again.

> I'm workin' on it. Trying to get DD into Rice University.
>
> Hmmm... Carrots and rice...
>
> Bob

Always love that Aggie yell (against rival Rice)
"What comes outta a Chinaman's ass? RICE! RICE!RICE!"

<snort>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> Always love that Aggie yell (against rival Rice)
> "What comes outta a Chinaman's ass? RICE! RICE! RICE!"

And Texans ain't bigots...

Hmm, shouldn't that be LICE! LICE! LICE!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>>
>> George Shirley wrote:

>>> Move back to East Texas and that won't happen again.

>> I'm workin' on it. Trying to get DD into Rice University.
>>
>> Hmmm... Carrots and rice...
>>
>> Bob

> Always love that Aggie yell (against rival Rice)
> "What comes outta a Chinaman's ass? RICE! RICE!RICE!"
>
> <snort>

My favorite was when the Marching Owls band all dressed in army fatigues
with full steel pots and then drunkenly marched all over the field at
TAMU. The Kaydets went nuts trying to get on the field. I wanted to go
to Rice but couldn't afford to go at that time, really good university,
used to live a couple of blocks from there.

George

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> Goomba38 wrote:
>> zxcvbob wrote:

>>> I'm workin' on it. Trying to get DD into Rice University.
>>>
>>> Hmmm... Carrots and rice...
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Always love that Aggie yell (against rival Rice)
>> "What comes outta a Chinaman's ass? RICE! RICE!RICE!"
>>
>> <snort>

> My favorite was when the Marching Owls band all dressed in army fatigues
> with full steel pots and then drunkenly marched all over the field at
> TAMU. The Kaydets went nuts trying to get on the field. I wanted to go
> to Rice but couldn't afford to go at that time, really good university,
> used to live a couple of blocks from there.
>
> George

You know I'm an Aggie, right? :-) (Actually it sounds pretty funny now,
I dunno about 25 years ago...)

Fightin' Texas Aggie Band,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
>> Goomba38 wrote:

>>> Always love that Aggie yell (against rival Rice)
>>> "What comes outta a Chinaman's ass? RICE! RICE!RICE!"
>>>
>>> <snort>

>> My favorite was when the Marching Owls band all dressed in army
>> fatigues with full steel pots and then drunkenly marched all over the
>> field at TAMU. The Kaydets went nuts trying to get on the field. I
>> wanted to go to Rice but couldn't afford to go at that time, really
>> good university, used to live a couple of blocks from there.
>>
>> George

> You know I'm an Aggie, right? :-) (Actually it sounds pretty funny now,
> I dunno about 25 years ago...)
>
> Fightin' Texas Aggie Band,
> Bob

You still got yer saber and spurs? I had a cousin that graduated from
TAMU, we still let him come to family reunions but he has to sit quietly
and make no sudden moves. How many Aggie jokes do you know?

George
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> zxcvbob wrote:
> ....and they froze. (It was an accident.) What's the best way to

still
> use them? Some kind of carrot soup?
>
> Bob

I tried this during the holidays and thought it was great (assuming
you like ginger)

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/...t&rsc=header_3
Ingredients

Serves 8 to 10

* 6 bunches (about 2 pounds) baby carrots
* Salt
* 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 2 two-inch pieces fresh ginger, peeled and julienned
* 3 tablespoons honey

Directions

1. Trim stems of carrots to 1/2 inch. Peel carrots, and wash stem
area.
2. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Salt water, add carrots,
and reduce heat. Simmer until carrots are almost tender, 3 to 4
minutes. Remove carrots from heat, and drain. (Carrots can be
prepared earlier in the day to this point.)
3. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add
ginger, and saute, stirring, until transparent, about 2 minutes. Add
carrots and honey, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until carrots are
glazed. Serve immediately.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

>> <snort>

> My favorite was when the Marching Owls band all dressed in army fatigues
> with full steel pots and then drunkenly marched all over the field at
> TAMU. The Kaydets went nuts trying to get on the field. I wanted to go
> to Rice but couldn't afford to go at that time, really good university,
> used to live a couple of blocks from there.
>
> George

Oh yeah.. the MOB is a hoot

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> You know I'm an Aggie, right? :-) (Actually it sounds pretty funny now,
> I dunno about 25 years ago...)
>
> Fightin' Texas Aggie Band,
> Bob

So is my brother
Gig'em Ags...and damn that's a hellafa band

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote:

> ...and they froze. *(It was an accident.) *What's the best way to still
> use them? *Some kind of carrot soup?

They should probably still juice just fine.