Pixmedia

Default prosciutto left out overnight

Hi -
I missed putting into the fridge a slender package of prosciutto (cured ham).
It was in the shopping bag overnight. What does anyone think? Can I use it
still? It says keep refridgerated of course, but it is tightly vacuum sealed
and it is cured...
Dr. Dog

Pixmedia wrote:
> Hi -
> I missed putting into the fridge a slender package of prosciutto

(cured ham).
> It was in the shopping bag overnight. What does anyone think? Can I

use it
> still? It says keep refridgerated of course, but it is tightly

vacuum sealed
> and it is cured...

Go ahead and eat it. I had a whole prosciutto once that I hung on a
rafter for effect. It's heavily cured and dried and is most unlikely to
go off anytime soon.

Dog

PENMART01

>(Pixmedia)
>
>I missed putting into the fridge a slender package of prosciutto (cured ham).
>
>It was in the shopping bag overnight. What does anyone think? Can I use it
>still? It says keep refridgerated of course, but it is tightly vacuum sealed
>and it is cured...

Oh, perfect... at room temperature is how proscuitto should be eaten.... eat
it right away!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>(Pixmedia)
>
>I missed putting into the fridge a slender package of prosciutto (cured ham).
>
>It was in the shopping bag overnight. What does anyone think? Can I use it
>still? It says keep refridgerated of course, but it is tightly vacuum sealed
>and it is cured...

Oh, perfect... at room temperature is how proscuitto should be eaten.... eat
it right away!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Edwin Pawlowski

"Pixmedia" > wrote in message
> Hi -
> I missed putting into the fridge a slender package of prosciutto (cured
> ham).
> It was in the shopping bag overnight. What does anyone think? Can I use
> it
> still? It says keep refridgerated of course, but it is tightly vacuum
> sealed
> and it is cured...

It says to keep refrigerated because the government want to protect you from
yourself. Meats, for many years, were cured because refrigeration was not
invented yet.

Check out http://www.velvitoil.com/Curing.HTML I've had Dan's ham after
is has been hung for a couple of years with no refrigeration.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Edwin Pawlowski

"Pixmedia" > wrote in message
> Hi -
> I missed putting into the fridge a slender package of prosciutto (cured
> ham).
> It was in the shopping bag overnight. What does anyone think? Can I use
> it
> still? It says keep refridgerated of course, but it is tightly vacuum
> sealed
> and it is cured...

It says to keep refrigerated because the government want to protect you from
yourself. Meats, for many years, were cured because refrigeration was not
invented yet.

Check out http://www.velvitoil.com/Curing.HTML I've had Dan's ham after
is has been hung for a couple of years with no refrigeration.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Pixmedia

Thanks, everyone. The prosciutto is going in the bottom of a leek tart and
it's so much better with it included. I figured it would be ok - but I'm glad
folks were around to answer. Merry Merry!
Pixmedia

Thanks, everyone. The prosciutto is going in the bottom of a leek tart and
it's so much better with it included. I figured it would be ok - but I'm glad
folks were around to answer. Merry Merry!
Steve Calvin

Pixmedia wrote:
> Thanks, everyone. The prosciutto is going in the bottom of a leek tart and
> it's so much better with it included. I figured it would be ok - but I'm glad
> folks were around to answer. Merry Merry!

Enjoy. It'll be fine.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.
Dave Smith

Pixmedia wrote:

> Hi -
> I missed putting into the fridge a slender package of prosciutto (cured ham).
> It was in the shopping bag overnight. What does anyone think? Can I use it
> still? It says keep refridgerated of course, but it is tightly vacuum sealed
> and it is cured...

I used to live next door to an Italian grocery store and used to see moldy
looking things hanging from hooks at the butcher counter. That is where I
discovered Prosciutto. That stuff is well preserved with sugar and salt. They
only thing that I would be worried about would be if they had been left open, in
which case they would still be safe to eat, but dried out and the texture of
jerky.

PENMART01

>Dave Smith writes:
>
>>Pixmedia wrote:
>>
>> I missed putting into the fridge a slender package of prosciutto (cured

>ham).
>> It was in the shopping bag overnight. What does anyone think? Can I use

>it
>> still? It says keep refridgerated of course, but it is tightly vacuum

>sealed
>> and it is cured...

>I used to live next door to an Italian grocery store and used to see moldy
>looking things hanging from hooks at the butcher counter. That is where I
>discovered Prosciutto. That stuff is well preserved with sugar and salt.
>They
>only thing that I would be worried about would be if they had been left open,
>in
>which case they would still be safe to eat, but dried out and the texture of
>jerky.

Once proscuitto, or any dry cured meat, is sliced it needs to be refrigerated,
and then its refrigerator shelf life is not very long, perhaps a week. Whole
cured meat is regularly wiped down with vinegar to retard surface mold, but
once sliced
there is just too much surface exposed and every sq in of cut surface has been
contaminated in the slicing, so it must be refrigerated. The factory sealed
vacuum packs will have a longer refrigerator shelf life, but once the package
is opened the shelf life is no longer than had it been sliced at the local
deli.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon