Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I'm almost all Jewish now

I finally got my blood pressure under control and I am trying to be very
sodium conscious.
Every single package of pork I looked at yesterday (excepting chops &
tenderloins) had anywhere from 12 percent to 33 percent sodium.
I even considered a big raw pork butt and it was 33 percent. I figured it
was uncooked and untreated...no way.
Damn
I may as well go kosher and stick with poultry and fish.
Guess who loves pork and loves Chinese cooking.
Damn again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pintlar > wrote:

> I finally got my blood pressure under control and I am trying to be very
> sodium conscious.
> Every single package of pork I looked at yesterday (excepting chops &
> tenderloins) had anywhere from 12 percent to 33 percent sodium.

A piece of pork that is 33% or even 12% sodium would be inedible.

When you're watching your diet, the first thing you need to know is
how to read labels properly.

> I may as well go kosher and stick with poultry and fish.

Yeah - that will work <snork>

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 15, 3:26*am, "pintlar" > wrote:
> I finally got my blood pressure under control and I am trying to be very
> sodium conscious.
> Every single package of pork I looked at yesterday (excepting chops &
> tenderloins) had anywhere from 12 percent to 33 percent sodium.
> I even considered a big raw pork butt and it was 33 percent. *I figured it
> was uncooked and untreated...no way.
> Damn
> I may as well go kosher and stick with poultry and fish.
> Guess who loves pork and loves Chinese cooking.
> Damn again.

You shouldn't shop at crappy stores, or if you do, realive you have to
go elsewhere for meat.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 02:26:01 -0600, "pintlar"
> wrote:

>I finally got my blood pressure under control and I am trying to be very
>sodium conscious.
>Every single package of pork I looked at yesterday (excepting chops &
>tenderloins) had anywhere from 12 percent to 33 percent sodium.
>I even considered a big raw pork butt and it was 33 percent. I figured it
>was uncooked and untreated...no way.
>Damn
>I may as well go kosher and stick with poultry and fish.

I know the feeling. Hubby misses his red meat.... a steak, a steak,
my kingdom for a steak! It's poultry and fish for us (I don't like
fish)... fortunately there's a really good Thai restaurant a couple of
blocks away, so he has Thai for lunch quite a bit.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pintlar" > wrote in message
>I finally got my blood pressure under control and I am trying to be very
>sodium conscious.
> Every single package of pork I looked at yesterday (excepting chops &
> tenderloins) had anywhere from 12 percent to 33 percent sodium.
> I even considered a big raw pork butt and it was 33 percent. I figured it
> was uncooked and untreated...no way.
> Damn
> I may as well go kosher and stick with poultry and fish.
> Guess who loves pork and loves Chinese cooking.
> Damn again.

I suspect the pork you're looking at comes from the super market - this pork
is brined at the factory (Meat processor) if you live in a decent urban area
check with local butcher shops for unprocessed pork.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 15, 4:26*am, "pintlar" > wrote:
> I finally got my blood pressure under control and I am trying to be very
> sodium conscious.
> Every single package of pork I looked at yesterday (excepting chops &
> tenderloins) had anywhere from 12 percent to 33 percent sodium.
> I even considered a big raw pork butt and it was 33 percent. *I figured it
> was uncooked and untreated...no way.
> Damn
> I may as well go kosher and stick with poultry and fish.
> Guess who loves pork and loves Chinese cooking.
> Damn again.

Fuggedaboutit. Kosher meat is also fairly high in salt from the
koshering process. Looks like you'll have to go veggie<g>
'-)
maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "pintlar" > wrote in message
>> I finally got my blood pressure under control and I am trying to be
>> very sodium conscious.
>> Every single package of pork I looked at yesterday (excepting chops &
>> tenderloins) had anywhere from 12 percent to 33 percent sodium.
>> I even considered a big raw pork butt and it was 33 percent. I
>> figured it was uncooked and untreated...no way.
>> Damn
>> I may as well go kosher and stick with poultry and fish.
>> Guess who loves pork and loves Chinese cooking.
>> Damn again.

> I suspect the pork you're looking at comes from the super market - this
> pork is brined at the factory (Meat processor) if you live in a decent
> urban area check with local butcher shops for unprocessed pork.
>
> Dimitri

I'm thinking it comes from WalMart. Their meats are so heavily brined
they are disgusting.

Our HEB supermarket advertises that they don't put stuff into their
fresh meats. The labels reflect that fact.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:36:46 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>I suspect the pork you're looking at comes from the super market - this pork
>is brined at the factory (Meat processor) if you live in a decent urban area
>check with local butcher shops for unprocessed pork.

Pork in the supermarket is prebrined? I haven't seen that - even at
Safeway. Maybe it's a Walmart thing.

BTW: why is prebrining so bad when people even claim to brine pork
chops here on rfc? <shrug>

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:36:46 -0700, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>
>> I suspect the pork you're looking at comes from the super market -
>> this pork is brined at the factory (Meat processor) if you live in a
>> decent urban area check with local butcher shops for unprocessed
>> pork.

> Pork in the supermarket is prebrined? I haven't seen that - even at
> Safeway. Maybe it's a Walmart thing.

You need to read the labels more closely, you might be surprised.

> BTW: why is prebrining so bad when people even claim to brine pork
> chops here on rfc? <shrug>

Because my water doesn't cost $3.50 a pound.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:36:46 -0700, "Dimitri" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I suspect the pork you're looking at comes from the super market -
> >> this pork is brined at the factory (Meat processor) if you live in a
> >> decent urban area check with local butcher shops for unprocessed
> >> pork.

> > Pork in the supermarket is prebrined? I haven't seen that - even at
> > Safeway. Maybe it's a Walmart thing.

> You need to read the labels more closely, you might be surprised.
>
> > BTW: why is prebrining so bad when people even claim to brine pork
> > chops here on rfc? <shrug>

One place (surprisingly) in DC that I'm able to find regular pork
tenderloin that is unbrined/unflavored is the Safeway. Not all of
what they have is unbrined, but I can find it there. I've also found
unbrined pork at Costco, but I haven't checked recently.

pat

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> pintlar > wrote:
>
>> I finally got my blood pressure under control and I am trying to be very
>> sodium conscious.
>> Every single package of pork I looked at yesterday (excepting chops &
>> tenderloins) had anywhere from 12 percent to 33 percent sodium.

> A piece of pork that is 33% or even 12% sodium would be inedible.
>
> When you're watching your diet, the first thing you need to know is
> how to read labels properly.
>
>> I may as well go kosher and stick with poultry and fish.

> Yeah - that will work <snork>
>
> -sw

Sounds like you were looking at a big box "fresh meat" label. The 33%
reflects the amount of water, salt and preservatives that have been
injected into the meat not the amount of sodium. If you want to buy cuts
of pork you will likely have to go to other stores. In my area that
would be a huge family owned Italian market that has a real meat department.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:36:46 -0700, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>
>> I suspect the pork you're looking at comes from the super market - this pork
>> is brined at the factory (Meat processor) if you live in a decent urban area
>> check with local butcher shops for unprocessed pork.

> Pork in the supermarket is prebrined? I haven't seen that - even at
> Safeway. Maybe it's a Walmart thing.
>
> BTW: why is prebrining so bad when people even claim to brine pork
> chops here on rfc? <shrug>

I think brining b=pork chops with a solution the cook controls is
infinitely better than commercially injecting the meat with salt water.
It just isn't the same thing. JMHO

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 14:33:30 -0700 (PDT), Cryambers wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> sf wrote:

>>> Pork in the supermarket is prebrined? I haven't seen that - even at
>>> Safeway. Maybe it's a Walmart thing.

>> You need to read the labels more closely, you might be surprised.
>>
>>> BTW: why is prebrining so bad when people even claim to brine pork
>>> chops here on rfc? <shrug>

> One place (surprisingly) in DC that I'm able to find regular pork
> tenderloin that is unbrined/unflavored is the Safeway. Not all of
> what they have is unbrined, but I can find it there. I've also found
> unbrined pork at Costco, but I haven't checked recently.
>
> pat

in the d.c. metro area, giant usually has 'fresh' pork available as well.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:36:46 -0700, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>
>>I suspect the pork you're looking at comes from the super market - this
>>pork
>>is brined at the factory (Meat processor) if you live in a decent urban
>>area
>>check with local butcher shops for unprocessed pork.

> Pork in the supermarket is prebrined? I haven't seen that - even at
> Safeway. Maybe it's a Walmart thing.

Actually not a WM thing it's Albertsons, Safeway (Vons), Kroger (Ralphs)
and most other super markets. Next time you pick up a package of pork look
at the ingredients list on the package. Swifts and most of the other pork
processors are now adding moisture & salt (Brine) as part of the "Other
White Meat" marketing revolution. The diet of commercial pork has been
changed over the years to produce a leaner animal. The leaner animals are
purportedly "healthier" but IMHO flavorless. The other White meat is like
eating compressed cardboard.

BTW I never buy meat at WM their prices are HIGH!

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri > wrote:

> Actually not a WM thing it's Albertsons, Safeway (Vons), Kroger (Ralphs)
> and most other super markets. Next time you pick up a package of pork look

Around here I've learned to avoid chicken and pork at Kroger and Food Lion.
I never buy fresh meats at WalMart. The other day I was surprised to find
some chicken at Food Lion *without* brine listed on the label. In fact it
specifically said "no water added." So, maybe someone is getting a clue.

I occasionally find some branded chicken (Purdue, Tyson) that doesn't list
any added brine, but you have to read closely to be sure. The stuff at
Food Lion surprised me because it was store/un branded.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Jewish Taigalach [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 25-09-2008 03:40 AM
Black And Jewish [email protected] General Cooking 5 11-10-2007 10:15 PM
Jewish food [email protected] General Cooking 7 27-08-2007 03:40 PM
Jewish food gksperling General Cooking 0 27-08-2007 03:26 PM
Jewish Artichokes Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 02-04-2006 06:47 PM