Old 14-07-2008, 02:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches

Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream workers
these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?

P.S.
Has anyone tried making an ice cream sandwich using chocolate dipped
pizzellas? I saw Mario Batali make one on 'Mario Eats Italy' (cancelled).

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Old 14-07-2008, 03:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream workers
these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?

I've not even tried to buy one for years. You just can't get a good one.

Old 14-07-2008, 05:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 22:36:45 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Christopher M." wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream workers
these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?

I've not even tried to buy one for years. You just can't get a good one.

They don't have the right ingredients anymore. I gave up after
pineapple was taken out of the lineup and they substituted pineapple
syrup. Obviously, Pineapple soda is my favorite (with coconut ice
cream of course).

Mae West
Old 14-07-2008, 07:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Christopher M." wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream workers
these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?

I've not even tried to buy one for years. You just can't get a good one.

Everybody quit going to soda fountains forty years ago. They were once
ubiquitous, then nearly extinct and are now boutique. Old arts were
lost, old flavors are gone and you really, really can't go home again.
****es me off.

leo
Old 14-07-2008, 12:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 13 Jul 2008 07:36:45p, Edwin Pawlowski told us...

"Christopher M." wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream workers
these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?

I've not even tried to buy one for years. You just can't get a good one.

We still have a couple of locally owned ice cream parlors in town that make
things the old fashioned way, also making their own ice cream and toppings.
When you go to one of them, pineapple is still pineapple, not just syrup.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 07(VII)/14(XIV)/08(MMVIII)

Old 14-07-2008, 03:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher M. wrote:
Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream workers
these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?

P.S.
Has anyone tried making an ice cream sandwich using chocolate dipped
pizzellas? I saw Mario Batali make one on 'Mario Eats Italy' (cancelled).

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

I finally figured out how to make an ice cream soda that is to my
liking. I let some of the ice cream melt in the syrup-cream mix
ere I proceed.... I haven't even TRIED to get a soda for the last
couple of years. There was ONE place that could make them.... It
is a lost art.

--
Jean B.
Old 14-07-2008, 07:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 11:27:47 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

When you go to one of them, pineapple is still pineapple, not just syrup.

Damn, you're lucky! The old fashioned (100 YO) soda parlor here
http://www.leahfaust.com/fausthaus_b...st_francis.jpg
sold out a few years ago and the new owners brought in Torani
Syrups... not the same when you're looking for the real thing. I
haven't been back since that disappointment.

Mae West
Old 14-07-2008, 07:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 13, 9:45*pm, "Christopher M."
wrote:
Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream workers
these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?

Err, what is an Ice Cream soda? I've heard of them (Archie comics?)
but they seem to be/have been an US phenomenon.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada

Old 14-07-2008, 08:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 14 Jul 2008 11:11:39a, told us...

wrote:

When you go to one of them, pineapple is still pineapple, not just syrup.

Damn, you're lucky! The old fashioned (100 YO) soda parlor here
http://www.leahfaust.com/fausthaus_b...st_francis.jpg
sold out a few years ago and the new owners brought in Torani
Syrups... not the same when you're looking for the real thing. I
haven't been back since that disappointment.

I don't blame you. I wouldn't go either.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 07(VII)/14(XIV)/08(MMVIII)
I'm an influential person,
gravitationally speaking.

Old 14-07-2008, 08:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream workers
these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?

Err, what is an Ice Cream soda? I've heard of them (Archie comics?)
but they seem to be/have been an US phenomenon.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada

Ice Cream soda

Large Ice cream glass similar to a beer pilsner glass.
from the bottom up
Flavoring ( strawberry or chocolate etc)
A little milk or cream to mix with the flavoring
One or more scoops of ice cream
Soda water (first the high pressure small stream then the regular stream)
The high pressure is used to mix the flavoring & soda - Fill the glass with
soda
Top with Whipped cream & a cherry (chopped nuts optional)

serve with a straw & a long spoon

Note the ice cream can be the same flavor as the Flavoring or different) As
example a strawberry ice ream soda can be made with strawberry or vanilla
ice cream.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Old 14-07-2008, 10:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." wrote:
Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream workers
these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?

Tell us what you consider a good ice cream soda.

There are still excellent ice cream parlors in NYC. Btw, they're not
called ice cream workers... the correct nomenclature is Soda Jerk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda_jerk
Old 14-07-2008, 11:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
[...]

Well, not that if you put the ice cream in before the soda water,
the ice cream can get icy!

--
Jean B.
Old 14-07-2008, 11:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
"Christopher M." wrote:
Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream workers
these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?

Tell us what you consider a good ice cream soda.

There are still excellent ice cream parlors in NYC. Btw, they're not
called ice cream workers... the correct nomenclature is Soda Jerk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda_jerk

Oh my! Given some of the ridiculous contortions in the name of
being PC, I wonder whether that name is even allowed now.

--
Jean B.
Old 14-07-2008, 11:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote in message
Dimitri wrote:

snip

Well, not that if you put the ice cream in before the soda water, the ice
cream can get icy!

--
Jean B.

That's the best part.

The frozen soda you scrape from the ice cream.

Especially good with Coke and Root Beer Floats.

Better than a Coke freeze.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Old 14-07-2008, 11:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
"Christopher M." wrote:
Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream
workers these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?

Tell us what you consider a good ice cream soda.

I'm not picky. I could go for a couple of soft scoops of vanilla ice cream
in cream soda.

Most places don't have cream soda and use hard scoops, which take a while to
melt. It's not a cream soda if the ice cream doesn't melt.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Ice Cream Sodas Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 30 30-05-2009 11:59 PM
Ice Cream Sandwiches Duckie Recipes 0 19-07-2005 11:21 PM
COOKIES for ICE CREAM SANDWICHES-- Where? Max Krippler General Cooking 10 25-06-2005 12:51 AM
Big Fat Ice Cream Sandwiches T & J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 12-06-2005 04:23 AM
Pixie Ice Cream Sandwiches [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 07-11-2003 01:46 PM