Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ice Cream Sodas

We have bantered about these before, and I think I posted my
epiphany re using a small amount of ice cream in the base instead
of cream. Here in the Boston area, the art of making ice cream
sodas seems to be practically lost. Only Brigham's, and only SOME
of them at that, can make decent ones. (Of course, this is quite
subjective.) I am sure I bought the 1943 Sealtest Fountain
Service "Know-How" booklet with sodas in mind. Therefore, in
order to keep this art alive, I will post the directions from it.

Sodas that Stand Out!

1. Start with a clean, sparkling soda glass using 1 1/2 ounces of
chilled, crushed fruit that has been diluted with flavored or
plain syrup. Add a generous soda spoonful of whipped cream or its
equivalent of table cream of ice cream.

2. Blend whipped cream, table cream or ice cream with syrup by
stirring thoroughly with soda spoon. Always remove spoon from
glass after this is done.

3. Next--use fine soda stream to mix syrup and cream thoroughly,
rotating glass with stream directed toward side of glass until it
is about two-thirds full. Never stir with spoon. If carbonated
water has not been used recently, drain off a glass and discard it
to insure clear, cold and sparkling soda.

4. When glass is two-thirds full, float two dippers of Sealtest
ice cream into the mixture. Dip carefully...

5. If preceding steps are followed properly, glass will be full
and soda rich and flavorful. If more carbonated water is
necessary, direct it against side of glass to avoid hitting ice
cream and forming ice crystals. Serve straws and spoon on napkin
at side of soda--never in glass.
*******

Since I don't like my sodas to be very fizzy, I use more ice cream
in the base and less on top. For that matter, you can even
eliminate the ice cream on top, but then that would be something else.
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> We have bantered about these before, and I think I posted my epiphany re
> using a small amount of ice cream in the base instead of cream. Here in
> the Boston area, the art of making ice cream sodas seems to be
> practically lost. Only Brigham's, and only SOME of them at that, can
> make decent ones. (Of course, this is quite subjective.) I am sure I
> bought the 1943 Sealtest Fountain Service "Know-How" booklet with sodas
> in mind. Therefore, in order to keep this art alive, I will post the
> directions from it.
>
> Sodas that Stand Out!
>
> 1. Start with a clean, sparkling soda glass using 1 1/2 ounces of
> chilled, crushed fruit that has been diluted with flavored or plain
> syrup. Add a generous soda spoonful of whipped cream or its equivalent
> of table cream of ice cream.
>
> 2. Blend whipped cream, table cream or ice cream with syrup by stirring
> thoroughly with soda spoon. Always remove spoon from glass after this
> is done.
>
> 3. Next--use fine soda stream to mix syrup and cream thoroughly,
> rotating glass with stream directed toward side of glass until it is
> about two-thirds full. Never stir with spoon. If carbonated water has
> not been used recently, drain off a glass and discard it to insure
> clear, cold and sparkling soda.
>
> 4. When glass is two-thirds full, float two dippers of Sealtest ice
> cream into the mixture. Dip carefully...
>
> 5. If preceding steps are followed properly, glass will be full and
> soda rich and flavorful. If more carbonated water is necessary, direct
> it against side of glass to avoid hitting ice cream and forming ice
> crystals. Serve straws and spoon on napkin at side of soda--never in
> glass.
> *******

The DS is one of those weirdos who likes the ice crystals. Blech.
Tracy
(who used to work at an ice cream parlor and made sodas - but not like
this. I think it was just flavored syrup and soda water, with ice cream
on top. My memory is fading. We didn't make many. Root beer Floats and
Coke floats were more common.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in
:

> We have bantered about these before, and I think I posted my
> epiphany re using a small amount of ice cream in the base
> instead of cream. Here in the Boston area, the art of making
> ice cream sodas seems to be practically lost.

no kidding! i asked for a chocolate ice cream soda yesterday & the
counter person asked if i wanted soda water or a regular sodapop. if
it's ice cream in pop, it's a float, not a soda! sheesh!
however, it was a fairly decent ice cream soda once i got it
so... what does your book say about egg creams? i never even see
those on menu lists anymore.
lee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> We have bantered about these before, and I think I posted my epiphany
>> re using a small amount of ice cream in the base instead of cream.
>> Here in the Boston area, the art of making ice cream sodas seems to be
>> practically lost. Only Brigham's, and only SOME of them at that, can
>> make decent ones. (Of course, this is quite subjective.) I am sure I
>> bought the 1943 Sealtest Fountain Service "Know-How" booklet with
>> sodas in mind. Therefore, in order to keep this art alive, I will
>> post the directions from it.
>>
>> Sodas that Stand Out!
>>
>> 1. Start with a clean, sparkling soda glass using 1 1/2 ounces of
>> chilled, crushed fruit that has been diluted with flavored or plain
>> syrup. Add a generous soda spoonful of whipped cream or its
>> equivalent of table cream of ice cream.
>>
>> 2. Blend whipped cream, table cream or ice cream with syrup by
>> stirring thoroughly with soda spoon. Always remove spoon from glass
>> after this is done.
>>
>> 3. Next--use fine soda stream to mix syrup and cream thoroughly,
>> rotating glass with stream directed toward side of glass until it is
>> about two-thirds full. Never stir with spoon. If carbonated water
>> has not been used recently, drain off a glass and discard it to insure
>> clear, cold and sparkling soda.
>>
>> 4. When glass is two-thirds full, float two dippers of Sealtest ice
>> cream into the mixture. Dip carefully...
>>
>> 5. If preceding steps are followed properly, glass will be full and
>> soda rich and flavorful. If more carbonated water is necessary,
>> direct it against side of glass to avoid hitting ice cream and forming
>> ice crystals. Serve straws and spoon on napkin at side of soda--never
>> in glass.
>> *******
>>

> The DS is one of those weirdos who likes the ice crystals. Blech.
> Tracy
> (who used to work at an ice cream parlor and made sodas - but not like
> this. I think it was just flavored syrup and soda water, with ice cream
> on top. My memory is fading. We didn't make many. Root beer Floats and
> Coke floats were more common.)

No wonder it is a fading art! I'd better try to do my part to
keep it alive.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in
> :
>
>> We have bantered about these before, and I think I posted my
>> epiphany re using a small amount of ice cream in the base
>> instead of cream. Here in the Boston area, the art of making
>> ice cream sodas seems to be practically lost.

> no kidding! i asked for a chocolate ice cream soda yesterday & the
> counter person asked if i wanted soda water or a regular sodapop. if
> it's ice cream in pop, it's a float, not a soda! sheesh!
> however, it was a fairly decent ice cream soda once i got it

Ah, so one person got trained, then. Maybe you need to go back to
reinforce the lesson. :-)

> so... what does your book say about egg creams? i never even see
> those on menu lists anymore.
> lee

I don't think egg creams appear here. Let me see.

This covers dipping [and packing] ice cream, the aforementioned
ice cream sodas, sundaes [I was never that into sundaes, but I
don't recall having syrup/crushed fruit deliberately placed in the
bottom of the tulip dish], and malted milk. There are formulae
for various soda and sundae combinations, fruit ices, sherbet
drinks, mixed drinks [there is a recipe for an egg malted], and
syrups. No egg creams.
--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> enigma wrote:
>> "Jean B." > wrote in
>> :
>>> We have bantered about these before, and I think I posted my epiphany
>>> re using a small amount of ice cream in the base
>>> instead of cream. Here in the Boston area, the art of making
>>> ice cream sodas seems to be practically lost.

>> no kidding! i asked for a chocolate ice cream soda yesterday & the
>> counter person asked if i wanted soda water or a regular sodapop. if
>> it's ice cream in pop, it's a float, not a soda! sheesh!
>> however, it was a fairly decent ice cream soda once i got it

> Ah, so one person got trained, then. Maybe you need to go back to
> reinforce the lesson. :-)
>
>> so... what does your book say about egg creams? i never even see
>> those on menu lists anymore.
>> lee

> I don't think egg creams appear here. Let me see.
>
> This covers dipping [and packing] ice cream, the aforementioned ice
> cream sodas, sundaes [I was never that into sundaes, but I don't recall
> having syrup/crushed fruit deliberately placed in the bottom of the
> tulip dish], and malted milk. There are formulae for various soda and
> sundae combinations, fruit ices, sherbet drinks, mixed drinks [there is
> a recipe for an egg malted], and syrups. No egg creams.

I don't think of egg creams of being very Boston. Frappes, yes. Egg
creams, no.

Tracy
(more of a lime rickey fan. No raspberry, just lime, please.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Tracy wrote:
>> Jean B. wrote:
>>> We have bantered about these before, and I think I posted my epiphany
>>> re using a small amount of ice cream in the base instead of cream.
>>> Here in the Boston area, the art of making ice cream sodas seems to
>>> be practically lost. Only Brigham's, and only SOME of them at that,
>>> can make decent ones. (Of course, this is quite subjective.) I am
>>> sure I bought the 1943 Sealtest Fountain Service "Know-How" booklet
>>> with sodas in mind. Therefore, in order to keep this art alive, I
>>> will post the directions from it.
>>>
>>> Sodas that Stand Out!
>>>
>>> 1. Start with a clean, sparkling soda glass using 1 1/2 ounces of
>>> chilled, crushed fruit that has been diluted with flavored or plain
>>> syrup. Add a generous soda spoonful of whipped cream or its
>>> equivalent of table cream of ice cream.
>>>
>>> 2. Blend whipped cream, table cream or ice cream with syrup by
>>> stirring thoroughly with soda spoon. Always remove spoon from glass
>>> after this is done.
>>>
>>> 3. Next--use fine soda stream to mix syrup and cream thoroughly,
>>> rotating glass with stream directed toward side of glass until it is
>>> about two-thirds full. Never stir with spoon. If carbonated water
>>> has not been used recently, drain off a glass and discard it to
>>> insure clear, cold and sparkling soda.
>>>
>>> 4. When glass is two-thirds full, float two dippers of Sealtest ice
>>> cream into the mixture. Dip carefully...
>>>
>>> 5. If preceding steps are followed properly, glass will be full and
>>> soda rich and flavorful. If more carbonated water is necessary,
>>> direct it against side of glass to avoid hitting ice cream and
>>> forming ice crystals. Serve straws and spoon on napkin at side of
>>> soda--never in glass.
>>> *******
>>>

>> The DS is one of those weirdos who likes the ice crystals. Blech.
>> Tracy
>> (who used to work at an ice cream parlor and made sodas - but not like
>> this. I think it was just flavored syrup and soda water, with ice
>> cream on top. My memory is fading. We didn't make many. Root beer
>> Floats and Coke floats were more common.)

> No wonder it is a fading art! I'd better try to do my part to keep it
> alive.

Peaceful Meadows - there's one in Middleboro. You can go when the Ren
fair hits Carver....

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote in message
<snip>

> The DS is one of those weirdos who likes the ice crystals. Blech.
> Tracy
> (who used to work at an ice cream parlor and made sodas - but not like
> this. I think it was just flavored syrup and soda water, with ice cream on
> top. My memory is fading. We didn't make many. Root beer Floats and Coke
> floats were more common.)

I had a hankering for a root beer float after church last Saturday night, so
the BF and I stopped by the store for ice cream and RB. Dang that was some
good stuff! Haven't had an RBF in **years**.

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> Tracy wrote:

> Peaceful Meadows - there's one in Middleboro. You can go when the Ren
> fair hits Carver....
>
> Tracy

I grew up in that area and I recall ice cream sodas, floats,
frappes and fizzes (which I believe were known elsewhere as
egg creams--syrup, soda water and perhaps a dash of cream.)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> enigma wrote:
>>> "Jean B." > wrote in
>>> :
>>>
>>> no kidding! i asked for a chocolate ice cream soda yesterday & the
>>> counter person asked if i wanted soda water or a regular sodapop. if
>>> it's ice cream in pop, it's a float, not a soda! sheesh!
>>> however, it was a fairly decent ice cream soda once i got it

>> Ah, so one person got trained, then. Maybe you need to go back to
>> reinforce the lesson. :-)
>>
>>> so... what does your book say about egg creams? i never even see
>>> those on menu lists anymore.
>>> lee

>> I don't think egg creams appear here. Let me see.
>>
>> This covers dipping [and packing] ice cream, the aforementioned ice
>> cream sodas, sundaes [I was never that into sundaes, but I don't
>> recall having syrup/crushed fruit deliberately placed in the bottom of
>> the tulip dish], and malted milk. There are formulae for various soda
>> and sundae combinations, fruit ices, sherbet drinks, mixed drinks
>> [there is a recipe for an egg malted], and syrups. No egg creams.

> I don't think of egg creams of being very Boston. Frappes, yes. Egg
> creams, no.
>
> Not that there is anything wrong with that.
>
> Tracy
> (more of a lime rickey fan. No raspberry, just lime, please.)

That deli in Auburndale (whose name eludes me) serves egg creams.
I found it rather like the base for an ice cream soda.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> Tracy wrote:

>>> The DS is one of those weirdos who likes the ice crystals. Blech.
>>> Tracy
>>> (who used to work at an ice cream parlor and made sodas - but not
>>> like this. I think it was just flavored syrup and soda water, with
>>> ice cream on top. My memory is fading. We didn't make many. Root beer
>>> Floats and Coke floats were more common.)

>> No wonder it is a fading art! I'd better try to do my part to keep it
>> alive.
>>

> Peaceful Meadows - there's one in Middleboro. You can go when the Ren
> fair hits Carver....
>
> Tracy

I might just do that.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> We have bantered about these before, and I think I posted my epiphany re
> using a small amount of ice cream in the base instead of cream. Here in
> the Boston area, the art of making ice cream sodas seems to be practically
> lost. Only Brigham's, and only SOME of them at that, can make decent
> ones. (Of course, this is quite subjective.) I am sure I bought the 1943
> Sealtest Fountain Service "Know-How" booklet with sodas in mind.
> Therefore, in order to keep this art alive, I will post the directions
> from it.
>
> Sodas that Stand Out!
>
> 1. Start with a clean, sparkling soda glass using 1 1/2 ounces of
> chilled, crushed fruit that has been diluted with flavored or plain syrup.
> Add a generous soda spoonful of whipped cream or its equivalent of table
> cream of ice cream.
>
> 2. Blend whipped cream, table cream or ice cream with syrup by stirring
> thoroughly with soda spoon. Always remove spoon from glass after this is
> done.
>
> 3. Next--use fine soda stream to mix syrup and cream thoroughly, rotating
> glass with stream directed toward side of glass until it is about
> two-thirds full. Never stir with spoon. If carbonated water has not been
> used recently, drain off a glass and discard it to insure clear, cold and
> sparkling soda.
>
> 4. When glass is two-thirds full, float two dippers of Sealtest ice cream
> into the mixture. Dip carefully...
>
> 5. If preceding steps are followed properly, glass will be full and soda
> rich and flavorful. If more carbonated water is necessary, direct it
> against side of glass to avoid hitting ice cream and forming ice crystals.
> Serve straws and spoon on napkin at side of soda--never in glass.
> *******
>
> Since I don't like my sodas to be very fizzy, I use more ice cream in the
> base and less on top. For that matter, you can even eliminate the ice
> cream on top, but then that would be something else.
> --
> Jean B.

Fortunately, I have an old fashioned shop nearby. (But I can't get near the
place on Friday nights due to all the teenagers).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 28, 2:23*pm, Tracy > wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
> > enigma wrote:
> >> "Jean B." > wrote in
> :

> >> *no kidding! i asked for a chocolate ice cream soda yesterday & the
> >> counter person asked if i wanted soda water or a regular sodapop. if
> >> it's ice cream in pop, it's a float, not a soda! sheesh!
> >> *however, it was a fairly decent ice cream soda once i got it

> > Ah, so one person got trained, then. *Maybe you need to go back to
> > reinforce the lesson. * :-)

> >> *so... what does your book say about egg creams? i never even see
> >> those on menu lists anymore.
> >> lee

> > I don't think egg creams appear here. *Let me see.

> > This covers dipping [and packing] ice cream, the aforementioned ice
> > cream sodas, sundaes [I was never that into sundaes, but I don't recall
> > having syrup/crushed fruit deliberately placed in the bottom of the
> > tulip dish], and malted milk. *There are formulae for various soda and
> > sundae combinations, fruit ices, sherbet drinks, mixed drinks [there is
> > a recipe for an egg malted], and syrups. *No egg creams.

> I don't think of egg creams of being very Boston. Frappes, yes. Egg
> creams, no.
>
> Not that there is anything wrong with that.
>
> Tracy
> (more of a lime rickey fan. No raspberry, just lime, please.)

Frappes, yes. Egg creams were unheard of in the Beantown area.

Darn, now I'm dreaming of a rootbeer float, the only manner in which I
can stand vanilla ice cream.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> We have bantered about these before, and I think I posted my epiphany re
>> using a small amount of ice cream in the base instead of cream. Here in
>> the Boston area, the art of making ice cream sodas seems to be practically
>> lost. Only Brigham's, and only SOME of them at that, can make decent
>> ones. (Of course, this is quite subjective.) I am sure I bought the 1943
>> Sealtest Fountain Service "Know-How" booklet with sodas in mind.
>> Therefore, in order to keep this art alive, I will post the directions
>> from it.
>>
>> Sodas that Stand Out!
>>
>> 1. Start with a clean, sparkling soda glass using 1 1/2 ounces of
>> chilled, crushed fruit that has been diluted with flavored or plain syrup.
>> Add a generous soda spoonful of whipped cream or its equivalent of table
>> cream of ice cream.
>>
>> 2. Blend whipped cream, table cream or ice cream with syrup by stirring
>> thoroughly with soda spoon. Always remove spoon from glass after this is
>> done.
>>
>> 3. Next--use fine soda stream to mix syrup and cream thoroughly, rotating
>> glass with stream directed toward side of glass until it is about
>> two-thirds full. Never stir with spoon. If carbonated water has not been
>> used recently, drain off a glass and discard it to insure clear, cold and
>> sparkling soda.
>>
>> 4. When glass is two-thirds full, float two dippers of Sealtest ice cream
>> into the mixture. Dip carefully...
>>
>> 5. If preceding steps are followed properly, glass will be full and soda
>> rich and flavorful. If more carbonated water is necessary, direct it
>> against side of glass to avoid hitting ice cream and forming ice crystals.
>> Serve straws and spoon on napkin at side of soda--never in glass.
>> *******
>>
>> Since I don't like my sodas to be very fizzy, I use more ice cream in the
>> base and less on top. For that matter, you can even eliminate the ice
>> cream on top, but then that would be something else.
>> --
>> Jean B.

> Fortunately, I have an old fashioned shop nearby. (But I can't get near the
> place on Friday nights due to all the teenagers).

Is the proximity fortunate or unfortunate? :-)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 May 2009 17:12:34 +0000 (UTC) in rec.food.cooking, enigma
> wrote,
> no kidding! i asked for a chocolate ice cream soda yesterday & the
>counter person asked if i wanted soda water or a regular sodapop. if
>it's ice cream in pop, it's a float, not a soda! sheesh!

I suppose he was glad to know that you had some idea of what you were
asking for, but he probably still has to ask every time to avoid
customers getting what they asked for instead of what they wanted.
Don't blame him for that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 29, 9:42*am, David Harmon > wrote:
> On Thu, 28 May 2009 17:12:34 +0000 (UTC) in rec.food.cooking, enigma
> > wrote,
>
> > no kidding! i asked for a chocolate ice cream soda yesterday & the
> >counter person asked if i wanted soda water or a regular sodapop. if
> >it's ice cream in pop, it's a float, not a soda! sheesh!

> I suppose he was glad to know that you had some idea of what you were
> asking for, but he probably still has to ask every time to avoid
> customers getting what they asked for instead of what they wanted.
> Don't blame him for that.

And it varies from city to city. In Chicago, they say, "Pop." Five
hours away, in St. Louis, we say, "Soda."

Here, a glass of Sunkist orange soda with a scoop of ice cream would
be called "ice cream soda." If the "soda" were root beer, then it
would be called a root beer float. Our sports announcers here use
"pop" as a euphemism for beer. In St. Louis, a Pepsi would almost
never be referred to as a pop.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® > wrote in
.
com:

> And it varies from city to city. In Chicago, they say, "Pop."
> Five hours away, in St. Louis, we say, "Soda."

my mom was from PA/NY. she called it 'pop'. my dad was from Ohio. he
called it 'soda'. the fizzy water is soda water.

> Here, a glass of Sunkist orange soda with a scoop of ice cream
> would be called "ice cream soda." If the "soda" were root beer,
> then it would be called a root beer float. Our sports
> announcers here use "pop" as a euphemism for beer. In St.
> Louis, a Pepsi would almost never be referred to as a pop.

Sunkist orange soda with ice cream (raspberry is particularly good)
is still a 'float'. i like pistashio in my root beer floats...
an ice cream soda is much different than a float.
lee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-05-30, enigma > wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo® > wrote in

>> And it varies from city to city. In Chicago, they say, "Pop."
>> Five hours away, in St. Louis, we say, "Soda."

> my mom was from PA/NY. she called it 'pop'. my dad was from Ohio. he
> called it 'soda'. the fizzy water is soda water.

I think I posted this a long time ago. Here it is again:

http://tastyresearch.files.wordpress...pvssodamap.png

I don't really care what/where it's called, I jes know one thing for sure.
Put the ice cream in last!

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in
:

> I think I posted this a long time ago. Here it is again:
>
> http://tastyresearch.files.wordpress...pvssodamap.png
>
> I don't really care what/where it's called, I jes know one thing
> for sure. Put the ice cream in last!

that's weird. it has MA using "soda"... i guess that stupid term
"tonic" finally died out tonic in my book is like quinine water.
is that even still available anymore? i drank that (& bitter lemon,
which i *can't* find anymore) quite a bit by choice as a kid. no
malaria for me
i also liked the original Moxie... the current version is NOT the
same.
lee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 May 2009 12:48:08 +0000 (UTC), enigma wrote:

> notbob > wrote in
> :
>
>> I think I posted this a long time ago. Here it is again:
>>
>> http://tastyresearch.files.wordpress...pvssodamap.png
>>
>> I don't really care what/where it's called, I jes know one thing
>> for sure. Put the ice cream in last!

> that's weird. it has MA using "soda"... i guess that stupid term
> "tonic" finally died out tonic in my book is like quinine water.
> is that even still available anymore? i drank that (& bitter lemon,
> which i *can't* find anymore) quite a bit by choice as a kid. no
> malaria for me

i thought tonic and quinine water were the same thing. there are a couple
brands of tonic and at least one of bitter lemon at my grocery in maryland.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 May 2009 13:56:47 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>i thought tonic and quinine water were the same thing.

The things you learn from the internet... I didn't know quinine
relieved leg cramps or that it is florescent.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 30 May 2009 12:48:08 +0000 (UTC), enigma wrote:

>> that's weird. it has MA using "soda"... i guess that stupid
>> term
>> "tonic" finally died out tonic in my book is like quinine
>> water. is that even still available anymore? i drank that (&
>> bitter lemon, which i *can't* find anymore) quite a bit by
>> choice as a kid. no malaria for me

> i thought tonic and quinine water were the same thing. there
> are a couple brands of tonic and at least one of bitter lemon at
> my grocery in maryland.

i think they are. when i was moved to MA in 1961, sodapop was
called "tonic". if you asked for either 'soda' or 'pop', you were
either laughed at or at least given a strange look.
if you asked for a milkshake, you got flavored milk spun in a
blender... no ice cream. if you wanted ice cream in it, you had to
ask for a "frappe".
MA was a seriously screwed up place to my 6 year old mind. it
didn't help that i didn't want to live there, & it *really* didn't
help that my teachers were complete idiots (with a few stellar
exceptions in high school, one of whom i still correspond with).
i was in 2nd grade (yes, at 6) & reading on a AP high school
level. i was more than a little bored in school, but if i was left
alone to read (as my NY teachers had done) instead of being forced
to do "See Jane run. Run Jane run." with the other kids i would
have been ok... but no, the teacher had to take my Arthur C Clark's
Childhood's End away from me, and humiliate me in any way she could
possibly think of in front of the class. i was punished for writing
in cursive. i was kept in from recess for reading ahead or
finishing my work to quickly. i was mocked for using the words i
knew from NY: lavatory instead of "basement", water fountain
instead of "bubbler", sodapop instead of "tonic". it was a
thoroughly unpleasant experience...

anyway, i used to see Schweppes Bitter Lemon, but i haven't been
able to find it in a couple years. it probably has HFCS in it now
anyway i really haven't looked for tonic water. that's supposed
to be unsweetened, so it might be drinkable...
lee <this also explains why my kid doesn't go to public school. i
swore i'd never subject a child to that & i won't>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 30 May 2009 13:56:47 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>i thought tonic and quinine water were the same thing.

> The things you learn from the internet... I didn't know quinine
> relieved leg cramps or that it is florescent.

you didn't?
the florescent part is really fun
lee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On Sat, 30 May 2009 13:56:47 GMT, blake murphy
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>i thought tonic and quinine water were the same thing.

>> The things you learn from the internet... I didn't know quinine
>> relieved leg cramps or that it is florescent.

> you didn't?

Nope. I wasn't kidding.

> the florescent part is really fun

It could have been "back in the day".

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> I think I posted this a long time ago. Here it is again:
>
> http://tastyresearch.files.wordpress...pvssodamap.png
>
> I don't really care what/where it's called, I jes know one thing for sure.
> Put the ice cream in last!
>
> nb

Thanks, I was looking for that map. In Texas, we will ask you if you
want a Coke, then we will ask what kind you want; Pepsi, Dr. Pepper,
Root Beer, etc. lol My mother raised us to call it a "soft drink", so
that is still what I call it.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"enigma" wrote:
> anyway i really haven't looked for tonic water. that's supposed
> to be unsweetened, so it might be drinkable...

Tonic water is sweetened... now there are diet versions too. By law tonic
water (quinine water) must be prominently labeled with "Contains Quinine".
I keep tonic water and half and half on hand, goes well with gin or vodka.
I buy the Polar brand, their diet tonic water flavored with lime, I'm pretty
sure it's available throughout all New England. It's a quality product that
encompasses quite a broad range of beverages. They also produce beverages
under other labels; Waist Watcher, and Adirondack.

http://www.polarbev.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In my neck of the woods, southern NH, in the 50s, we called Pepsi, Coke,
etc, tonic. I never heard it called soda until a trip to Florida in '65.

I remember ordering a coffee frappe in Florida and getting what we
called a milk shake. It was just milk and flavoring, no ice cream.
When I told them that a frappe in NH had ice cream, they looked at me
like I was nuts.

Friendly's makes a decent coffee ice cream soda. I also like pepsi and
coffee cream floats, never liked root beer floats.

Denise

Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:
> notbob > wrote in
> :
>
>> I think I posted this a long time ago. Here it is again:
>>
>> http://tastyresearch.files.wordpress...pvssodamap.png
>>
>> I don't really care what/where it's called, I jes know one thing
>> for sure. Put the ice cream in last!

> that's weird. it has MA using "soda"... i guess that stupid term
> "tonic" finally died out tonic in my book is like quinine water.
> is that even still available anymore? i drank that (& bitter lemon,
> which i *can't* find anymore) quite a bit by choice as a kid. no
> malaria for me
> i also liked the original Moxie... the current version is NOT the
> same.
> lee

I think there are few people left who use tonic when referring to soft
drinks. Most everybody in my family I think still does. I don't though.

The DS likes Moxie - the current version. I don't remember what the
original version tasted like.

Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:

> The DS likes Moxie - the current version. I don't remember what the
> original version tasted like.
>
> Tracy

Cough syrup. Coke/Pepsi, root beer and sarsaparilla all
combined.
It was definitely an acquired taste.

gloria p