FoodBanter.com

-   -   Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/158653-ice-cream-sodas-sandwiches.html)

Christopher M.[_2_] 14-07-2008 02:45 AM

Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches

Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream workers
these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?

P.S.
Has anyone tried making an ice cream sandwich using chocolate dipped
pizzellas? I saw Mario Batali make one on 'Mario Eats Italy' (cancelled).

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Edwin Pawlowski 14-07-2008 03:36 AM

Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches

"Christopher M." > wrote in message
> Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream workers
> these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?

I've not even tried to buy one for years. You just can't get a good one.

sf[_3_] 14-07-2008 05:02 AM

Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 22:36:45 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Christopher M." > wrote in message
>> Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream workers
>> these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?
>>

>I've not even tried to buy one for years. You just can't get a good one.

They don't have the right ingredients anymore. I gave up after
pineapple was taken out of the lineup and they substituted pineapple
syrup. Obviously, Pineapple soda is my favorite (with coconut ice
cream of course).

Mae West

Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] 14-07-2008 07:26 AM

Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches

In article >,
"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Christopher M." > wrote in message
> > Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream workers
> > these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?
> >

> I've not even tried to buy one for years. You just can't get a good one.

Everybody quit going to soda fountains forty years ago. They were once
ubiquitous, then nearly extinct and are now boutique. Old arts were
lost, old flavors are gone and you really, really can't go home again.
****es me off.

leo

Wayne Boatwright[_3_] 14-07-2008 12:27 PM

Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches

On Sun 13 Jul 2008 07:36:45p, Edwin Pawlowski told us...

> "Christopher M." > wrote in message
>> Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream workers
>> these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?
>>

> I've not even tried to buy one for years. You just can't get a good one.

We still have a couple of locally owned ice cream parlors in town that make
things the old fashioned way, also making their own ice cream and toppings.
When you go to one of them, pineapple is still pineapple, not just syrup.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 07(VII)/14(XIV)/08(MMVIII)

Jean B.[_1_] 14-07-2008 03:04 PM

Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches

Christopher M. wrote:
> Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream workers
> these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?
>
> P.S.
> Has anyone tried making an ice cream sandwich using chocolate dipped
> pizzellas? I saw Mario Batali make one on 'Mario Eats Italy' (cancelled).
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

I finally figured out how to make an ice cream soda that is to my
liking. I let some of the ice cream melt in the syrup-cream mix
ere I proceed.... I haven't even TRIED to get a soda for the last
couple of years. There was ONE place that could make them.... It
is a lost art.

--
Jean B.

sf[_3_] 14-07-2008 07:11 PM

Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 11:27:47 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>When you go to one of them, pineapple is still pineapple, not just syrup.

Damn, you're lucky! The old fashioned (100 YO) soda parlor here
http://www.leahfaust.com/fausthaus_b...st_francis.jpg
sold out a few years ago and the new owners brought in Torani
Syrups... not the same when you're looking for the real thing. I
haven't been back since that disappointment.

Mae West

John Kane 14-07-2008 07:54 PM

Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches

On Jul 13, 9:45*pm, "Christopher M." >
wrote:
> Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream workers
> these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?

Err, what is an Ice Cream soda? I've heard of them (Archie comics?)
but they seem to be/have been an US phenomenon.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada

Wayne Boatwright[_3_] 14-07-2008 08:18 PM

Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches

On Mon 14 Jul 2008 11:11:39a, told us...

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 11:27:47 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>When you go to one of them, pineapple is still pineapple, not just syrup.

> Damn, you're lucky! The old fashioned (100 YO) soda parlor here
> http://www.leahfaust.com/fausthaus_b...st_francis.jpg
> sold out a few years ago and the new owners brought in Torani
> Syrups... not the same when you're looking for the real thing. I
> haven't been back since that disappointment.

I don't blame you. I wouldn't go either.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 07(VII)/14(XIV)/08(MMVIII)
I'm an influential person,
gravitationally speaking.

Dimitri 14-07-2008 08:53 PM

Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches

wrote:
> Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream workers
> these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?

Err, what is an Ice Cream soda? I've heard of them (Archie comics?)
but they seem to be/have been an US phenomenon.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada

Ice Cream soda

Large Ice cream glass similar to a beer pilsner glass.
from the bottom up
Flavoring ( strawberry or chocolate etc)
A little milk or cream to mix with the flavoring
One or more scoops of ice cream
Soda water (first the high pressure small stream then the regular stream)
The high pressure is used to mix the flavoring & soda - Fill the glass with
soda
Top with Whipped cream & a cherry (chopped nuts optional)

serve with a straw & a long spoon

Note the ice cream can be the same flavor as the Flavoring or different) As
example a strawberry ice ream soda can be made with strawberry or vanilla
ice cream.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Sheldon 14-07-2008 10:53 PM

Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches

"Christopher M." wrote:
> Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream workers
> these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?

Tell us what you consider a good ice cream soda.

There are still excellent ice cream parlors in NYC. Btw, they're not
called ice cream workers... the correct nomenclature is Soda Jerk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda_jerk

Jean B.[_1_] 14-07-2008 11:10 PM

Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches

Dimitri wrote:

> "John Kane" > wrote in message
> On Jul 13, 9:45 pm, "Christopher M." >
> wrote:
>> Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream workers
>> these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?

> Err, what is an Ice Cream soda? I've heard of them (Archie comics?)
> but they seem to be/have been an US phenomenon.
>

> John Kane Kingston ON Canada
>

> Ice Cream soda
>
> Large Ice cream glass similar to a beer pilsner glass.
> from the bottom up
> Flavoring ( strawberry or chocolate etc)
> A little milk or cream to mix with the flavoring
> One or more scoops of ice cream
> Soda water (first the high pressure small stream then the regular
> stream) The high pressure is used to mix the flavoring & soda - Fill
> the glass with soda
> Top with Whipped cream & a cherry (chopped nuts optional)
>
> serve with a straw & a long spoon
>
> Note the ice cream can be the same flavor as the Flavoring or different)
> As example a strawberry ice ream soda can be made with strawberry or
> vanilla ice cream.

Well, not that if you put the ice cream in before the soda water,
the ice cream can get icy!

--
Jean B.

Jean B.[_1_] 14-07-2008 11:11 PM

Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches

Sheldon wrote:
> "Christopher M." wrote:
>> Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream workers
>> these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?

> Tell us what you consider a good ice cream soda.
>
> There are still excellent ice cream parlors in NYC. Btw, they're not
> called ice cream workers... the correct nomenclature is Soda Jerk.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda_jerk

Oh my! Given some of the ridiculous contortions in the name of
being PC, I wonder whether that name is even allowed now.

--
Jean B.

Dimitri 14-07-2008 11:21 PM

Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:

<snip>

> Well, not that if you put the ice cream in before the soda water, the ice
> cream can get icy!
>
> --
> Jean B.

That's the best part.

The frozen soda you scrape from the ice cream.

Especially good with Coke and Root Beer Floats.

Better than a Coke freeze.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Christopher M.[_2_] 14-07-2008 11:38 PM

Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches

Sheldon wrote:
> "Christopher M." wrote:
>> Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream
>> workers these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?

> Tell us what you consider a good ice cream soda.

I'm not picky. I could go for a couple of soft scoops of vanilla ice cream
in cream soda.

Most places don't have cream soda and use hard scoops, which take a while to
melt. It's not a cream soda if the ice cream doesn't melt.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Rex 14-07-2008 11:48 PM

Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches

> Sheldon wrote:
>> "Christopher M." wrote:
>>> Is it just me or is anybody else frustrated that most ice cream
>>> workers these days don't know how to make a good ice cream soda?

>> Tell us what you consider a good ice cream soda.

> I'm not picky. I could go for a couple of soft scoops of vanilla ice cream
> in cream soda.
>
> Most places don't have cream soda and use hard scoops, which take a while
> to melt. It's not a cream soda if the ice cream doesn't melt.
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

While we're at it, how about a real chocolate MALT! Not a shake, or soft
serve with chocolate syrup, but a real freakin malt? Places around here have
them on the menu, but when I watch them, it's all the same. Dipped/soft
serve with choc syrup and skim milk. yechh. Ask the counter person about it,
and that's the way they make em.

Rex

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 17-07-2008 03:14 AM

Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches

Rex wrote:

> While we're at it, how about a real chocolate MALT! Not a shake,
> or soft serve with chocolate syrup, but a real freakin malt?

Lin called me from Oklahoma the other day to brag that one of her daughters
had just brought her a yummy chocolate malt.

One-a these days....

Bob

Wayne Boatwright[_3_] 17-07-2008 03:35 AM

Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches

On Wed 16 Jul 2008 07:14:56p, Bob Terwilliger told us...

> Rex wrote:
>
>> While we're at it, how about a real chocolate MALT! Not a shake, or
>> soft serve with chocolate syrup, but a real freakin malt?

> Lin called me from Oklahoma the other day to brag that one of her
> daughters had just brought her a yummy chocolate malt.
>
> One-a these days....
>
> Bob

Some years ago I bought a 1940s Hamiton Beach Malt Mixer from a local
drugstore that was closing own their soda fountain. I order Horlick's Malt
online. I usually have U-Bet Chocolate Syrup on hand, so it's easy to
throw an honest-to-goodness chocolate malt together, and it's sooooo good!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 07(VII)/16(XVI)/08(MMVIII)

Blinky the Shark 17-07-2008 04:11 AM

Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Some years ago I bought a 1940s Hamiton Beach Malt Mixer from a local
> drugstore that was closing own their soda fountain. I order Horlick's Malt
> online. I usually have U-Bet Chocolate Syrup on hand, so it's easy to
> throw an honest-to-goodness chocolate malt together, and it's sooooo
> good!

Now *that's* authentic!

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 17-07-2008 04:32 AM

Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches

Wayne wrote:

> Some years ago I bought a 1940s Hamiton Beach Malt Mixer from a local
> drugstore that was closing own their soda fountain. I order Horlick's
> Malt online. I usually have U-Bet Chocolate Syrup on hand, so it's easy
> to throw an honest-to-goodness chocolate malt together, and it's sooooo
> good!

I'm not crazy about U-Bet syrup. It tastes one-dimensional to me; it doesn't
have the fragrance and complexity that other chocolate syrups (even
Hershey's) have.

I'm not ARGUING here; I'm just bemused: King Arthur Flour sells big blocks
of a chocolate called Merckens. According to the King Arthur site, "The
Chocolate Report" did a blind tasting of chocolates among some professional
chefs, and Merckens came out on top. But it's got that same one-dimensional
quality to me that U-Bet syrup has. I guess there are lots of people who
don't like more-complex chocolate, so there's a market for this stuff, but
I'm not part of it.

Bob

Wayne Boatwright[_3_] 17-07-2008 04:43 AM

Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches

On Wed 16 Jul 2008 08:32:44p, Bob Terwilliger told us...

> Wayne wrote:
>
>> Some years ago I bought a 1940s Hamiton Beach Malt Mixer from a local
>> drugstore that was closing own their soda fountain. I order Horlick's
>> Malt online. I usually have U-Bet Chocolate Syrup on hand, so it's
>> easy to throw an honest-to-goodness chocolate malt together, and it's
>> sooooo good!

> I'm not crazy about U-Bet syrup. It tastes one-dimensional to me; it
> doesn't have the fragrance and complexity that other chocolate syrups
> (even Hershey's) have.
>
> I'm not ARGUING here; I'm just bemused: King Arthur Flour sells big
> blocks of a chocolate called Merckens. According to the King Arthur
> site, "The Chocolate Report" did a blind tasting of chocolates among
> some professional chefs, and Merckens came out on top. But it's got
> that same one-dimensional quality to me that U-Bet syrup has. I guess
> there are lots of people who don't like more-complex chocolate, so
> there's a market for this stuff, but I'm not part of it.
>
> Bob

I'm not aware of that many chocolate syrups on the market unless, of
course, you make your own. I tried Hershey's first. Found I didn't like
it as well as U-Bet. I like and use Hershey's in other things, but in a
chocolate malt it seemed to have a bitter edge to it that I found
unappealing.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 07(VII)/16(XVI)/08(MMVIII)
Sometimes I feel like a figment of my
own imagination.

Jean B.[_1_] 17-07-2008 03:42 PM

Ice Cream Sodas, Sandwiches

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Wayne wrote:
>
>> Some years ago I bought a 1940s Hamiton Beach Malt Mixer from a local
>> drugstore that was closing own their soda fountain. I order Horlick's
>> Malt online. I usually have U-Bet Chocolate Syrup on hand, so it's easy
>> to throw an honest-to-goodness chocolate malt together, and it's sooooo
>> good!

> I'm not crazy about U-Bet syrup. It tastes one-dimensional to me; it
> doesn't
> have the fragrance and complexity that other chocolate syrups (even
> Hershey's) have.
>
> I'm not ARGUING here; I'm just bemused: King Arthur Flour sells big blocks
> of a chocolate called Merckens. According to the King Arthur site, "The
> Chocolate Report" did a blind tasting of chocolates among some professional
> chefs, and Merckens came out on top. But it's got that same
> one-dimensional
> quality to me that U-Bet syrup has. I guess there are lots of people who
> don't like more-complex chocolate, so there's a market for this stuff, but
> I'm not part of it.
>
> Bob

I agree. I like chocolate that has different "notes".

My problem with U-Bet syrup is that now you can't find one labeled
as containing sugar--it's always sugar OR corn syrup. So, I don't
even get to the buying or tasting part.

--
Jean B.