General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-07-2008, 04:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,675
Default Croissants Part Deux

We made croissants again yesterday.


This time we remembered the salt, and I think that did make a positive
difference in the taste.


This time we used the cuisinart to mix the dough instead of hand
kneading. We think it's the wrong tool for the job. The biggest
problem was the heat. With the motor so close to the mixing bowl, the
dough got too hot too fast. It rose quite a bit in the refrigerator.
It didn't do that last time. Now, after deciding that we didn't need a
stand-up mixer, we've decided that maybe we do need one afterall.
There's no hurry. We're waiting for the right one on Craig's List.


We thought we'd try refrigerating for an hour after every turn instead
of for 2 hours and doing 2 turns at a time. Who knows if that was the
right decision. We got so mixed up about turns and times that by the
end of the day we couldn't remember how many turns it had had. I do
believe the dough rose too much before shaping.


The day was a little hotter and considerably more humid. That probably
had an effect, but we haven't figured out what sort.


A few hours before fireworks time, I got the miserable itchy feeling of
a mold allergy. I took antihistamines and could scarcely keep my eyes
open to shape the croissants. Jim took over and said he didn't do as
good a job. The almond croissants especially mooshed into one big
danish-type pastry. We need larger pans so there's more space between
the individual croissants as they bake.


The neat thing about baking at home is that the results will be good and
edible even if they're not perfect. This morning they were improved by
an excellent soft goat cheese and some nice cassis jam.


--Lia


  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-07-2008, 04:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,322
Default Croissants Part Deux

Julia Altshuler wrote in
:

We made croissants again yesterday.


Did you watch this batch too?



This time we remembered the salt, and I think that did make a positive
difference in the taste.


This time we used the cuisinart to mix the dough instead of hand
kneading. We think it's the wrong tool for the job. The biggest
problem was the heat. With the motor so close to the mixing bowl, the
dough got too hot too fast. It rose quite a bit in the refrigerator.
It didn't do that last time. Now, after deciding that we didn't need a
stand-up mixer, we've decided that maybe we do need one afterall.
There's no hurry. We're waiting for the right one on Craig's List.


Some say using the plastic blade in the FP works to reduces the heat that
using the metal blade generates.



We thought we'd try refrigerating for an hour after every turn instead
of for 2 hours and doing 2 turns at a time. Who knows if that was the
right decision. We got so mixed up about turns and times that by the
end of the day we couldn't remember how many turns it had had. I do
believe the dough rose too much before shaping.


The day was a little hotter and considerably more humid. That probably
had an effect, but we haven't figured out what sort.


A few hours before fireworks time, I got the miserable itchy feeling of
a mold allergy. I took antihistamines and could scarcely keep my eyes
open to shape the croissants. Jim took over and said he didn't do as
good a job. The almond croissants especially mooshed into one big
danish-type pastry. We need larger pans so there's more space between
the individual croissants as they bake.


The neat thing about baking at home is that the results will be good

and
edible even if they're not perfect. This morning they were improved by
an excellent soft goat cheese and some nice cassis jam.


--Lia





--

The house of the burning beet-Alan



  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-07-2008, 05:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 149
Default Croissants Part Deux

Julia Altshuler wrote:
We made croissants again yesterday.


This time we remembered the salt, and I think that did make a positive
difference in the taste.


This time we used the cuisinart to mix the dough instead of hand
kneading. We think it's the wrong tool for the job. The biggest
problem was the heat. With the motor so close to the mixing bowl, the
dough got too hot too fast. It rose quite a bit in the refrigerator.
It didn't do that last time. Now, after deciding that we didn't need
a stand-up mixer, we've decided that maybe we do need one afterall.
There's no hurry. We're waiting for the right one on Craig's List.


We thought we'd try refrigerating for an hour after every turn instead
of for 2 hours and doing 2 turns at a time. Who knows if that was the
right decision. We got so mixed up about turns and times that by the
end of the day we couldn't remember how many turns it had had. I do
believe the dough rose too much before shaping.


The day was a little hotter and considerably more humid. That
probably had an effect, but we haven't figured out what sort.


A few hours before fireworks time, I got the miserable itchy feeling
of a mold allergy. I took antihistamines and could scarcely keep my
eyes open to shape the croissants. Jim took over and said he didn't
do as good a job. The almond croissants especially mooshed into one
big danish-type pastry. We need larger pans so there's more space
between the individual croissants as they bake.


The neat thing about baking at home is that the results will be good
and edible even if they're not perfect. This morning they were
improved by an excellent soft goat cheese and some nice cassis jam.



Well Done))



--
Veni, Vidi, Visa .......I came, I saw, I shopped




  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-07-2008, 06:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,675
Default Croissants Part Deux

hahabogus wrote:

Did you watch this batch too?



I would have, but I was so drugged with the antihistamines that I
staggered up to see them go into the oven, then fell over in bed again.


Some say using the plastic blade in the FP works to reduces the heat that
using the metal blade generates.



We used the plastic blade. The dough still got warm.


Also, I think we ground the almonds too fine for the frangipane. I
prefer them a little crunchier.


Today I'm hoping to get to the bookstore so we can shop for a croissant
cookbook.


It's the funniest thing how this project is turning out to be so much
fun. We knew we were old fuddy-duddy types. This is another example.
Talking about croissants has occupied our time, and we're enjoying it.
We'll be in the car searching for something to say. Then one of us will
mention raising the oven temperature, and we get into a discussion about
it. Anyone listening would say we were nuts to get into it to this
degree. (Present company excepted-- and accepted.)


--Lia

  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-07-2008, 06:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,322
Default Croissants Part Deux

Julia Altshuler wrote in
:

hahabogus wrote:

Did you watch this batch too?



I would have, but I was so drugged with the antihistamines that I
staggered up to see them go into the oven, then fell over in bed
again.


Some say using the plastic blade in the FP works to reduces the heat
that using the metal blade generates.



We used the plastic blade. The dough still got warm.


Also, I think we ground the almonds too fine for the frangipane. I
prefer them a little crunchier.


Today I'm hoping to get to the bookstore so we can shop for a
croissant cookbook.


It's the funniest thing how this project is turning out to be so much
fun. We knew we were old fuddy-duddy types. This is another example.
Talking about croissants has occupied our time, and we're enjoying it.
We'll be in the car searching for something to say. Then one of us
will mention raising the oven temperature, and we get into a
discussion about it. Anyone listening would say we were nuts to get
into it to this degree. (Present company excepted-- and accepted.)


--Lia



Couples get quality time in the strangest ways as seen from an outsider.
Better this than zoning out in front of a tv for sharing with a
significant other. At least thinking is involved.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan





  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-07-2008, 07:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,516
Default Croissants Part Deux

Julia Altshuler wrote:

It's the funniest thing how this project is turning out to be so much
fun. We knew we were old fuddy-duddy types. This is another example.
Talking about croissants has occupied our time, and we're enjoying it.
We'll be in the car searching for something to say. Then one of us will
mention raising the oven temperature, and we get into a discussion about
it. Anyone listening would say we were nuts to get into it to this
degree. (Present company excepted-- and accepted.)


I, for one, am enjoying your adventure.
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-07-2008, 07:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,516
Default Croissants Part Deux

hahabogus wrote:

Couples get quality time in the strangest ways as seen from an outsider.
Better this than zoning out in front of a tv for sharing with a
significant other. At least thinking is involved.


Your post reminded me of the time (when we were much younger and
healthier) that DH and I spent an entire weekend on a quest for the
perfect margarita recipe. There was no Internet, so we had to experiment
quite a bit vbg
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-07-2008, 02:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,675
Default Croissants Part Deux

hahabogus wrote:

Couples get quality time in the strangest ways as seen from an outsider.
Better this than zoning out in front of a tv for sharing with a
significant other. At least thinking is involved.



We do that too. Lately it's been Bones on DVD.
--Lia

  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-07-2008, 02:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,675
Default Croissants Part Deux

Yesterday's research involved driving out of our way to the inconvenient
bakery to buy plain and almond croissants that we weren't even hungry
for. We disected them and decided that our almond filling is better.
It's less gooey and more flavorful. Their layered flakiness is still
better. Next time we try less butter. Actually, we're thinking of
taking a break from croissants and making a detour into almond cookies.
I'll keep y'all informed.


--Lia

  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-07-2008, 05:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,971
Default Croissants Part Deux

On Sun 06 Jul 2008 06:59:30a, Julia Altshuler told us...

Yesterday's research involved driving out of our way to the inconvenient
bakery to buy plain and almond croissants that we weren't even hungry
for. We disected them and decided that our almond filling is better.
It's less gooey and more flavorful. Their layered flakiness is still
better. Next time we try less butter. Actually, we're thinking of
taking a break from croissants and making a detour into almond cookies.
I'll keep y'all informed.


--Lia



Chinese Almond Cookies? The best ones use lard.

--
Wayne Boatwright
-------------------------------------------
Sunday, 07(VII)/06(VI)/08(MMVIII)
-------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------
You always find things in the first
place you look, but not the first time
you look there.
-------------------------------------------




  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 07-07-2008, 12:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,675
Default Croissants Part Deux

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Chinese Almond Cookies? The best ones use lard.



We were thinking along the lines of Lazzaroni Italian almond cookies,
but we're open to ideas.


Today we drove out to the bookstore with the huge selection of
cookbooks, stood overwhelmed in front of the shelves, and compared
croissant recipes. When we're done with the ones in the freezer, we're
going to try cutting down on the amount of butter, doing the turns the
way Julia Child recommends, and raising the oven temp.


--Lia

  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 07-07-2008, 12:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,971
Default Croissants Part Deux

On Sun 06 Jul 2008 04:33:20p, Julia Altshuler told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Chinese Almond Cookies? The best ones use lard.



We were thinking along the lines of Lazzaroni Italian almond cookies,
but we're open to ideas.


Today we drove out to the bookstore with the huge selection of
cookbooks, stood overwhelmed in front of the shelves, and compared
croissant recipes. When we're done with the ones in the freezer, we're
going to try cutting down on the amount of butter, doing the turns the
way Julia Child recommends, and raising the oven temp.


--Lia


I'll look forward to the reports!

--
Wayne Boatwright
-------------------------------------------
Sunday, 07(VII)/06(VI)/08(MMVIII)
-------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------
Line noise provided by US West!
-------------------------------------------






Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reuseable K Cups, Part Deux Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 0 05-06-2014 03:45 PM
Closed for the Season Part Deux jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 0 11-01-2013 01:21 PM
Christy's Cats, part deux TFM®[_2_] General Cooking 224 28-04-2009 11:29 PM
It's in the pit, part deux. Dave T. Barbecue 31 04-11-2007 10:37 PM
Tough pot roast: Part Deux Mitch General Cooking 17 15-01-2007 08:05 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017