Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 4lbs of duck liver...

Any suggestions?

Some sort of pate is probably in order, I just wish I had some duck
fat to go with it. May have to use chicken fat.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Any suggestions?
>
> Some sort of pate is probably in order, I just wish I had some duck
> fat to go with it. *May have to use chicken fat. *

So where'd you poach them quackers, Steve...???

Zoo...park...roadkill...or...???

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 09:52:01 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>Any suggestions?
>
>Some sort of pate is probably in order, I just wish I had some duck
>fat to go with it. May have to use chicken fat.

Wow, SCORE!

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Any suggestions?
>
> Some sort of pate is probably in order, I just wish I had some duck
> fat to go with it. May have to use chicken fat.
>
> -sw

That must have been a *big* duck...

I have way too much goose fat in the freezer, maybe I could email you some.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Some sort of pate is probably in order, I just wish I had some duck
>> fat to go with it. May have to use chicken fat.

> That must have been a *big* duck...

That should have said 4lbs of duck liverS. These are the legal kind
of duck livers.

Now I'm thinking I should just flour and sauté them in butter with
slightly carmelized shallots, madiera or sherry + wine, and parsley
and serve over a carbohydrate of some sort.

Not all 4lbs of them, though.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Any suggestions?

ahahahaha

I am not touching this one.

Unca Shelly, you there?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Some sort of pate is probably in order, I just wish I had some duck
>> fat to go with it. May have to use chicken fat. -sw

> That must have been a *big* duck...

ahahaha

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat > wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> Any suggestions?

> ahahahaha
>
> I am not touching this one.
>
> Unca Shelly, you there?

They're just duck livers. Were yout thinking of "dick luvers" or
something?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 09:52:01 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Any suggestions?

You can pass some my way <vbg>

> Some sort of pate is probably in order, I just wish I had some duck fat
> to go with it. May have to use chicken fat.

Don't forget to add garlic ;-)

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Any suggestions?
>
>Some sort of pate is probably in order, I just wish I had some duck
>fat to go with it. May have to use chicken fat.
>
>-sw

Oh, I am so very envious.

The Bay Wolf restaurant in Oakland, has a duck liver flan which is
marvelous. I have their cookbook, which has the recipe in it. I
will do my best to copy it for you...

I don't think they require duck fat....

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough > wrote:

> We can buy tins or jars of duckfat and goosefat in supermarkets here,
> is it availbale that way in the US?

You can find rendered duck and goose fat at some of the gourmet
markets. $7 for 4.5 ounces in plastic tubs - never canned that I've
seen.

You're much better off just buying whole ducks at that price.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>Now I'm thinking I should just flour and sauté them in butter with
>slightly carmelized shallots, madiera or sherry + wine, and parsley
>and serve over a carbohydrate of some sort.

I think that's way over doing it; I just slice 'em, sautee them
(I use olive oil) until just pink in the middle and sprinkle a bit
of salt on them. They do not need any seasoning.

Most fresh, normal duck liver I've had has better than most
foie gras I've encountered.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Any suggestions?
>
> Some sort of pate is probably in order, I just wish I had some duck
> fat to go with it. May have to use chicken fat.
>
> -sw

One of our favorite Bay Area restaurants, Bay Wolf in Oakland, always has
duck liver mousse to die for. So did Narsai David in the old days. It's made
somewhat similar to this recipe from epicurious. This would freeze well. You
could slowly slurp it for the next year. That's what I'd do.

Ingredients:
1 lb Duck livers, cleaned
1 tb Kosher salt
2 To 3 large shallots, chopped
1 oz Brandy
1 tb Fresh pepper
1 oz Hazelnut liqueur
1 tb Nutmeg
3 c Heavy cream

Directions:
Put liver, shallots, pepper, nutmeg, salt, brandy and liqueur in food
processor and puree. With machine on add 3 cups heavy cream. Strain through
a fine sieve. Bake in water bath at 325 to 350 until the center is firm to
the touch.
Serve as an appetizer or fist course with toasted French Bread slices.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 07 Jun 2008 11:56:00p, Kent told us...

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Some sort of pate is probably in order, I just wish I had some duck
>> fat to go with it. May have to use chicken fat.
>>
>> -sw

> One of our favorite Bay Area restaurants, Bay Wolf in Oakland, always
> has duck liver mousse to die for. So did Narsai David in the old days.
> It's made somewhat similar to this recipe from epicurious. This would
> freeze well. You could slowly slurp it for the next year. That's what
> I'd do.
>
> Ingredients:
> 1 lb Duck livers, cleaned
> 1 tb Kosher salt
> 2 To 3 large shallots, chopped
> 1 oz Brandy
> 1 tb Fresh pepper
> 1 oz Hazelnut liqueur
> 1 tb Nutmeg
> 3 c Heavy cream
>

> Directions:
> Put liver, shallots, pepper, nutmeg, salt, brandy and liqueur in food
> processor and puree. With machine on add 3 cups heavy cream. Strain
> through a fine sieve. Bake in water bath at 325 to 350 until the center
> is firm to the touch.
> Serve as an appetizer or fist course with toasted French Bread slices.
>
> Kent

That sounds good, Kent, but 1 tablespoon of nutmeg seems like an awful lot.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 06(VI)/07(VII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Janet Baraclough > wrote:
>
>> We can buy tins or jars of duckfat and goosefat in supermarkets here,
>> is it availbale that way in the US?

> You can find rendered duck and goose fat at some of the gourmet
> markets. $7 for 4.5 ounces in plastic tubs - never canned that I've
> seen.
>
> You're much better off just buying whole ducks at that price.
>
> -sw

You can buy rendered duck fat and goose fat at restaurant supply places
where there is a market for that product. In the Bay Area there is Polarica.
http://polaricausa.com/product_list/Small_PL_2004.pdf

To make a good delicate duck mousse you don't need, or even want duck fat.
You probably do for a pate. If you've got 4lb and want to do something easy
go with the mousse and use fat a bit more delicate than duck fat. It will
freeze much better than pate.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 23:56:00 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>Bay Wolf in Oakland

You and Chris make two. I've been to Bay Wolf more than once and it's
been a big disappointment each time. I don't understand the allure.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.120...
> On Sat 07 Jun 2008 11:56:00p, Kent told us...
>

>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Some sort of pate is probably in order, I just wish I had some duck
>>> fat to go with it. May have to use chicken fat.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> One of our favorite Bay Area restaurants, Bay Wolf in Oakland, always
>> has duck liver mousse to die for. So did Narsai David in the old days.
>> It's made somewhat similar to this recipe from epicurious. This would
>> freeze well. You could slowly slurp it for the next year. That's what
>> I'd do.
>>
>> Ingredients:
>> 1 lb Duck livers, cleaned
>> 1 tb Kosher salt
>> 2 To 3 large shallots, chopped
>> 1 oz Brandy
>> 1 tb Fresh pepper
>> 1 oz Hazelnut liqueur
>> 1 tb Nutmeg
>> 3 c Heavy cream
>>

>> Directions:
>> Put liver, shallots, pepper, nutmeg, salt, brandy and liqueur in food
>> processor and puree. With machine on add 3 cups heavy cream. Strain
>> through a fine sieve. Bake in water bath at 325 to 350 until the center
>> is firm to the touch.
>> Serve as an appetizer or fist course with toasted French Bread slices.
>>
>> Kent

> That sounds good, Kent, but 1 tablespoon of nutmeg seems like an awful
> lot.
>
> Wayne Boatwright

I think it's a bit high on the nutmeg. I just dug up Michael Wild's cookbook
recipe from the Bay Wolf Restaurant in Oakland.

1 cup dry marsala reduced by 2/3 with the peppercorns below.
3 Tb pickled green peppercorns
1lb duck livers
2.5 cups heavy cream[sounds like quite a bit, especially for the lipid
conscious]
4 eggs[my God]
1 tsp fresh thyme
salt, white pepper to taste, and 1 tsp sugar

He reduces the marsala by 2/3 with the peppercorns; this goes on the bottom
of a parchment lined pan. You puree the livers in a food processor, strain,
and add cream and eggs to the food processor bowl and process. Pass through
strainer into the prepared pan. Bake until it sets[about one hour].
Refrigerate, remove pieces and eat without thinking about your coronaries. I
haven't made it but I've had it many times at Bay Wolf. It's to die for.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" <.> wrote in message ...
> On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 23:56:00 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:
>
>>Bay Wolf in Oakland

> You and Chris make two. I've been to Bay Wolf more than once and it's
> been a big disappointment each time. I don't understand the allure.
>
> --

That's sad to hear. Bay Wolf has been on the S.F. Chronicles "100 Best of
the Bay" for over 20 years, one of very few that has. It's kind of a store
front Chez Peculiar[read Chez Panisse"]. Michael Wild, the owner, is a
former English Professor who brings Alsatian cooking right to your table.
His cookbook, the "Bay Wolf Restaurant Cookbook" is my source always, for
Choucroute, Cassoulet, and Duck. He's usually there at lunch, acting his
usual gracious self. At lunch try the composed salads, like the nicoise
salad.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 00:40:23 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>That's sad to hear. Bay Wolf has been on the S.F. Chronicles "100 Best of
>the Bay" for over 20 years, one of very few that has. It's kind of a store
>front Chez Peculiar[read Chez Panisse"]. Michael Wild, the owner, is a
>former English Professor who brings Alsatian cooking right to your table.
>His cookbook, the "Bay Wolf Restaurant Cookbook" is my source always, for
>Choucroute, Cassoulet, and Duck. He's usually there at lunch, acting his
>usual gracious self. At lunch try the composed salads, like the nicoise
>salad.
>
>Kent

When I was in the sfba, living there, or just doing a contract there,
I would often go to Monterey Market, and would see Michael Wild there,
doing the shopping for the restaurant. I recognized him from his
pictures in that cookbook... He was always checking out the great
produce very thoroughly....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 00:40:23 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>"sf" <.> wrote in message ...
>> On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 23:56:00 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:
>>
>>>Bay Wolf in Oakland

>> You and Chris make two. I've been to Bay Wolf more than once and it's
>> been a big disappointment each time. I don't understand the allure.
>>
>> --

>That's sad to hear. Bay Wolf has been on the S.F. Chronicles "100 Best of
>the Bay" for over 20 years, one of very few that has. It's kind of a store
>front Chez Peculiar[read Chez Panisse"]. Michael Wild, the owner, is a
>former English Professor who brings Alsatian cooking right to your table.
>His cookbook, the "Bay Wolf Restaurant Cookbook" is my source always, for
>Choucroute, Cassoulet, and Duck. He's usually there at lunch, acting his
>usual gracious self. At lunch try the composed salads, like the nicoise
>salad.

Sorry, but I'm not interested in wasting money on Bay Wolf again. I'm
not against spending the bucks if I like their food and/or the
service. It was on par with run of the mill tourist traps for me.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I hope this thread doesn't last much longer because just reading the
subject line makes me very queasy.

gloria p
not a liver lover
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 08 Jun 2008 12:19:36a, Kent told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> .120...

>>> One of our favorite Bay Area restaurants, Bay Wolf in Oakland, always
>>> has duck liver mousse to die for. So did Narsai David in the old days.
>>> It's made somewhat similar to this recipe from epicurious. This would
>>> freeze well. You could slowly slurp it for the next year. That's what
>>> I'd do.
>>>
>>> Ingredients:
>>> 1 lb Duck livers, cleaned
>>> 1 tb Kosher salt
>>> 2 To 3 large shallots, chopped
>>> 1 oz Brandy
>>> 1 tb Fresh pepper
>>> 1 oz Hazelnut liqueur
>>> 1 tb Nutmeg
>>> 3 c Heavy cream
>>>

>>> Directions:
>>> Put liver, shallots, pepper, nutmeg, salt, brandy and liqueur in food
>>> processor and puree. With machine on add 3 cups heavy cream. Strain
>>> through a fine sieve. Bake in water bath at 325 to 350 until the
>>> center is firm to the touch.
>>> Serve as an appetizer or fist course with toasted French Bread slices.
>>>
>>> Kent

>> That sounds good, Kent, but 1 tablespoon of nutmeg seems like an awful
>> lot.
>>
>> Wayne Boatwright

> I think it's a bit high on the nutmeg. I just dug up Michael Wild's
> cookbook recipe from the Bay Wolf Restaurant in Oakland.
>
> 1 cup dry marsala reduced by 2/3 with the peppercorns below.
> 3 Tb pickled green peppercorns
> 1lb duck livers
> 2.5 cups heavy cream[sounds like quite a bit, especially for the lipid
> conscious]
> 4 eggs[my God]
> 1 tsp fresh thyme
> salt, white pepper to taste, and 1 tsp sugar
>
> He reduces the marsala by 2/3 with the peppercorns; this goes on the
> bottom of a parchment lined pan. You puree the livers in a food
> processor, strain, and add cream and eggs to the food processor bowl and
> process. Pass through strainer into the prepared pan. Bake until it
> sets[about one hour]. Refrigerate, remove pieces and eat without
> thinking about your coronaries. I haven't made it but I've had it many
> times at Bay Wolf. It's to die for.
>
> Kent

That one sounds really delightful!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 06(VI)/08(VIII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 13:36:49 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:

>I would love a copy of that recipe. Could you email me a copy or xerox it
>and send it snail mail? Pretty please
>
>Michael

Kent posted it...from the same book I have.

It is very good. I always get that when I go to Bay Wolf.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 23:56:00 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>>Bay Wolf in Oakland

>You and Chris make two. I've been to Bay Wolf more than once and it's
>been a big disappointment each time. I don't understand the allure.

I hold them in the highest regard. All the other Chez-Panisse-Cafe
inspired restaurants from the 80's have either disappeared
or gone down (including CPC itself). Bay Wolf has maintained
the feel and the standards of that era. It's like stepping into a
a very comfortable and familiar time warp.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent > wrote:

>I think it's a bit high on the nutmeg. I just dug up Michael Wild's cookbook
>recipe from the Bay Wolf Restaurant in Oakland.

>1 cup dry marsala reduced by 2/3 with the peppercorns below.
>3 Tb pickled green peppercorns
>1lb duck livers
>2.5 cups heavy cream[sounds like quite a bit, especially for the lipid
>conscious]
>4 eggs[my God]
>1 tsp fresh thyme
>salt, white pepper to taste, and 1 tsp sugar

I first read this as "11 lb duck liver" and thought the cream and
egg ratios looked about right.

Then I realized...

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>Sorry, but I'm not interested in wasting money on Bay Wolf again. I'm
>not against spending the bucks if I like their food and/or the
>service. It was on par with run of the mill tourist traps for me.

I'm curious what sort of bad service you received there.
That's something they're very solid on IME. Very well trained
staff, no surprises.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message
. ..

> I hope this thread doesn't last much longer because just reading the
> subject line makes me very queasy.
>
> gloria p
> not a liver lover

Gloria, if you've ever had "Duck Liver Flan" at the Bay Wolf Restaurant
believe me everything would change. I grew up with that disgusting "old
beef liver" in the midwest.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent > wrote:

> You can buy rendered duck fat and goose fat at restaurant supply places
> where there is a market for that product. In the Bay Area there is Polarica.
> http://polaricausa.com/product_list/Small_PL_2004.pdf

And there's those damn Airline Breasts again. I've been seeing
those all over the place lately, but never in the 40 years prior to
this.

I guess they're making a comeback.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:
> "Gloria P" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> I hope this thread doesn't last much longer because just reading the
>> subject line makes me very queasy.
>>
>> gloria p
>> not a liver lover

> Gloria, if you've ever had "Duck Liver Flan" at the Bay Wolf Restaurant
> believe me everything would change. I grew up with that disgusting "old
> beef liver" in the midwest.

Soon after we move back to our house, we are getting a kittycat. Then I
won't have to feel wasteful about not eating the livers from fowl.

> Kent

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

BoboBonobo wrote:
> Kent wrote:
>> "Gloria P" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>>
>>> I hope this thread doesn't last much longer because just reading the
>>> subject line makes me very queasy.
>>>
>>> gloria p
>>> not a liver lover

>> Gloria, if you've ever had "Duck Liver Flan" at the Bay Wolf
>> Restaurant believe me everything would change. I grew up with that
>> disgusting "old beef liver" in the midwest.

> Soon after we move back to our house, we are getting a kittycat. Then I
> won't have to feel wasteful about not eating the livers from fowl.
>>
>> Kent
>>

> --Bryan

I microwave them and put outside for the neighborhood foxes.
They trot through our back yard every day to check the leftovers
I put out for their dinner. Rumor has it that one neighbor cooks
chicken for them 3x a week. Half the neighborhood loves our wildlife,
the other half wants desperately to get rid of all of it. We have
birds, squirrels, ducks, geese, raccoons, foxes, and an occasional
coyote. If people kept their cats and dogs indoors they wouldn't have
to worry about the wildlife.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" > wrote:

> Sqwertz >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> And there's those damn Airline Breasts again. I've been seeing
>> those all over the place lately, but never in the 40 years prior to
>> this.
>>
>> I guess they're making a comeback.

> I'm going to regret this... What are Airline Breasts?

A skin on breasts, bone in or semi-bonless, with a portion of the
wing attached.

http://www.redbirdchicken.com/foodservice/index.cfm

And here somebody is confirming the recent trend, which I mentioned
here a year or so ago (you heard it form me first!)

<http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/dining/reviews/blog/2008/05/the_mysterious_airline_chicken.html>

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 09 Jun 2008 04:33:42p, BoboBonobo told us...

> Michael "Dog3" wrote:
>> BoboBonobo >
>> : in rec.food.cooking
>>
>>> Soon after we move back to our house, we are getting a kittycat. Then
>>> I won't have to feel wasteful about not eating the livers from fowl.

>> What happened to your house Bryan? Nothing real bad I hope. I want to
>> burn ours down.

> The house got mice two years ago. We left. We had never really
> finished rehabbing it, and I was still giving in to my pack rat mental
> illness. Now I'm in throw away junk mode, and not buying anything other
> than what I need on a short term basis. I'm doing all the work, and
> we'll be ready to move back in in early July. No more fancy, expensive,
> DeMun apartment. Instead, cheap Richmond Heights house in nice
> neighborhood. The biggest downside is we'll be going down 300sq.ft. in
> area, including losing the extra full bath.
> --Bryan

Where in Richmond Heights, Bryan? I had childhood friends that lived in
Richmond Heights and Maplewood.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 06(VI)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)