Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Buckwheat kasha with duck liver

I have never liked kasha of any kind and especially not any buckwheat
variations. This one, however, turned out good enough to my taste.

Buckwheat kasha with duck liver

2 cups buckwheat groats
1 1/2 tablespoon butter
3 cups boiling water
2 eggs (1 raw and beaten, 1 hard-boiled and finely chopped)
300 g (10 oz) duck liver, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoon clarified butter
salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon butter

In a heavy saucepan fry the buckwheat groats in butter until they take
on some colour. Mix in the beaten egg during the frying. Pour in the
salted boling water and cook for 15-20 minutes until the kasha thickens.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and put in the hot oven for 30
minutes.

Meanwhile sauté the chopped duck liver in clarified butter. Add salt
and pepper to taste. Add the chopped boiled egg and the kasha and heat
through, stirring. Check for seasoning. Mix in 1 tablespoon butter and
serve.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> I have never liked kasha of any kind and especially not any buckwheat
> variations. This one, however, turned out good enough to my taste.
>
> Buckwheat kasha with duck liver
>
> 2 cups buckwheat groats
> 1 1/2 tablespoon butter
> 3 cups boiling water
> 2 eggs (1 raw and beaten, 1 hard-boiled and finely chopped)
> 300 g (10 oz) duck liver, chopped
> 1 1/2 tablespoon clarified butter
> salt
> freshly ground black pepper
> 1 tablespoon butter
>
> In a heavy saucepan fry the buckwheat groats in butter until they take
> on some colour. Mix in the beaten egg during the frying. Pour in the
> salted boling water and cook for 15-20 minutes until the kasha thickens.
> Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and put in the hot oven for 30
> minutes.
>
> Meanwhile sauté the chopped duck liver in clarified butter. Add salt
> and pepper to taste. Add the chopped boiled egg and the kasha and heat
> through, stirring. Check for seasoning. Mix in 1 tablespoon butter and
> serve.
>
> Victor

Never having seen duck liver in my local stores, would chicken liver
similarly prepared work as well?

As far as buckwheat kasha goes, I saute a mess of onions, garlic, and
capsicums, add the kasha and toast it, then add the water or broth. A
little later I add cubed tofu that's been marinated in something good.
If we're really hungry, some steamed broccoli and cauliflower goes in
as well.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri > wrote:

> Never having seen duck liver in my local stores, would chicken liver
> similarly prepared work as well?

Sure. The "original" recipe, i.e. one I heard of many moons ago, called
for veal liver. It also called for that liver to be cooked in water for
30 minutes before frying it. I would never consider boiling out all the
taste of liver... kind of like boiling ribs.

> As far as buckwheat kasha goes, I saute a mess of onions, garlic, and
> capsicums, add the kasha and toast it, then add the water or broth.

With kasha, most anything goes... it is just grain, even though
buchwheat groats have a more pronounced taste of their own than most any
grain.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> maxine in ri > wrote:
>
> > Never having seen duck liver in my local stores, would chicken liver
> > similarly prepared work as well?

> Sure. The "original" recipe, i.e. one I heard of many moons ago, called
> for veal liver. It also called for that liver to be cooked in water for
> 30 minutes before frying it. I would never consider boiling out all the
> taste of liver... kind of like boiling ribs.

_Boiling_ liver? Yetch! Not only that, but soaking it before frying
it is like asking to be splattered with hot grease.

> > As far as buckwheat kasha goes, I saute a mess of onions, garlic, and
> > capsicums, add the kasha and toast it, then add the water or broth.

> With kasha, most anything goes... it is just grain, even though
> buchwheat groats have a more pronounced taste of their own than most any
> grain.

Which is why I couldn't stand them as a kid. Then someone told me they
were healthy, and I tried making them with a little pinch of salt and
pepper and the veggies, and lo and behold, they were tasty.

The earthiness of the liver makes sense with the earthiness of the
buckwheat.

maxine in ri