Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bottom Round Roast

Big sale, bought five pounds.

What do you do with this cut?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 16, 10:05*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> Big sale, bought five pounds.
>
> What do you do with this cut?

Shove it up yer big fat arse, ****o!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 21:38:56 -0800 (PST), PVC
> wrote:

>On Jan 16, 10:05*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> Big sale, bought five pounds.
>>
>> What do you do with this cut?

>Shove it up yer big fat arse, ****o!

New nick or just some jackass spoofing her? In any case, "PVC" is now
in my KF too - as a permanent detainee too.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message
> Big sale, bought five pounds.
>
> What do you do with this cut?

Boeuf en daube a favorite of Virginia Woolf and Marcel Proust. You
lard the cut with fresh back fat and braise it, then cool it and let its
juices form a gelee about the meat. Then slice and eat it cool. It's
extraordinary when done correctly.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

freeze until easy to slice vey thin marinate overnight & use to make
jerky. Also great for stew---half inch cubes---marinate few hours--roll
in seasoned flour--brown---cook low heat several hours---add Le seur
peas with pearl onions & mushrooms, worshester sauce--simmer ten
min---add sour cream to taste for good strognof serve with wide noodles
or mash potatoes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message
. ..

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>> Big sale, bought five pounds.
>>
>> What do you do with this cut?
>>

> Boeuf en daube a favorite of Virginia Woolf and Marcel Proust. You
> lard the cut with fresh back fat and braise it, then cool it and let its
> juices form a gelee about the meat. Then slice and eat it cool. It's
> extraordinary when done correctly.
>
> Kent

Thank you!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 17, 12:54*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Kent" > wrote in message
>
> . ..
>

> > "cybercat" > wrote in message
> >> Big sale, bought five pounds.

> >> What do you do with this cut?

> > * * *Boeuf en daube a favorite of Virginia Woolf and Marcel Proust.. You
> > lard the cut with fresh back fat and braise it, then cool it and let its
> > juices form a gelee about the meat. Then slice and eat it cool. It's
> > extraordinary when done correctly.

> > * * *Kent

> Thank you!

lol.....as if you understood a word of that post, you numb ****.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> Big sale, bought five pounds.
>
> What do you do with this cut?

Usually I cut it up for stew, but the last time I had one I put in the
Crockpot. Browned it first, then added s&p, garlic, an 8 ounce can of
tomato sauce and a bit of chicken broth. I let it go overnight and the
next day shredded the meat for enchiladas. Really good.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote in message ...

> cybercat wrote:
>> Big sale, bought five pounds.
>>
>> What do you do with this cut?

> Usually I cut it up for stew, but the last time I had one I put in the
> Crockpot. Browned it first, then added s&p, garlic, an 8 ounce can of
> tomato sauce and a bit of chicken broth. I let it go overnight and the
> next day shredded the meat for enchiladas. Really good.

Why chicken instead of beef broth, just curious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote

> Boeuf en daube a favorite of Virginia Woolf and Marcel Proust. You
> lard the cut with fresh back fat and braise it, then cool it and let its
> juices form a gelee about the meat. Then slice and eat it cool. It's
> extraordinary when done correctly.

I found this recipe, from 1959, James Beard:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/101470

Pretty interesting, it's essentially the same principle as
wrapping filet mignon in bacon, adding fat to a lean
cut to tenderize it. The main thing about it that sounds
good to me is the flavor the fatback would add to the
mix. What a great excuse to buy some Hennesey!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 21:38:56 -0800 (PST), PVC
> > wrote:
>
>>On Jan 16, 10:05 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>>> Big sale, bought five pounds.
>>>
>>> What do you do with this cut?

>>Shove it up yer big fat arse, ****o!

> New nick or just some jackass spoofing her? In any case, "PVC" is now
> in my KF too - as a permanent detainee too.

I must have her killfiled. In any case, I am slim-hipped and tight as a
drum. It's probably because I eschew Chuck for Sirloin, dontcha know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Tracy" > wrote in message ...
>>
>> cybercat wrote:
>>> Big sale, bought five pounds.
>>>
>>> What do you do with this cut?

>> Usually I cut it up for stew, but the last time I had one I put in the
>> Crockpot. Browned it first, then added s&p, garlic, an 8 ounce can of
>> tomato sauce and a bit of chicken broth. I let it go overnight and the
>> next day shredded the meat for enchiladas. Really good.
>>

> Why chicken instead of beef broth, just curious.

I think because it was what I had on hand. You could use beef. It
doesn't really require a lot of liquid. Just enough to thin out the sauce.

This reminds me that I need to make enchiladas again.

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote

> I think because it was what I had on hand.

I love adventurous cooks who are not afraid to improvise!

You could use beef. It
> doesn't really require a lot of liquid. Just enough to thin out the sauce.
>

> This reminds me that I need to make enchiladas again.

Well, I'm going to try your recipe on half the beef.

How do you make the enchiladas once you've made the
beef?

They require a sauce, right?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Tracy" > wrote
>> I think because it was what I had on hand.

> I love adventurous cooks who are not afraid to improvise!
>
> You could use beef. It
>> doesn't really require a lot of liquid. Just enough to thin out the sauce.
>>

>> This reminds me that I need to make enchiladas again.
>>

> Well, I'm going to try your recipe on half the beef.
>
> How do you make the enchiladas once you've made the
> beef?
>
> They require a sauce, right?

When I made the enchiladas I posted what I did. Not realizing that I
would get a little flack for using flour tortillas instead of corn.
Next time I will try them with corn.

Yes, they need sauce. Most recipes for enchilada sauce I have I seen
calls for tomato sauce but that doesn't really appeal to me. I had a
long time ago found a recipe for "Santa Fe Enchiladas" on line and I use
the sauce recipe from that for this beef version.
It was made from a flour/butter/ chicken broth base with added
seasonings - chili powder, cumin and ground
coriander. I think 1 tbls of chili powder and 1/2 tsp each of cumin and
coriander. I don't have the recipe here right now.

I had softened some red onions and garlic first in some butter then
added flour/spices and then added the broth. After the sauce
thickened, I strained out the onions and added to the shredded meat to
which I also added sliced green onions and a can of chopped green chilis.

I added just a bit of the sauce to the meat but I didn't add cheese. I
will next time.

I rolled 'em up and lined them up in a casserole. Covered them with the
sauce and shredded jack cheese.

Bake in a hot (400F?) oven till bubbly. I like the cheese to brown just
a bit.

-Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote:

[snips recipe]

Thanks! I'll get some corn tortillas and try it out. I have the
meat on now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 17, 1:15*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:

> How do you make the enchiladas once you've made the
> beef?
>
> They require a sauce, right?

Jesus H Jumped up Christ are you a ****ing dolt or what?
Posted to rec.food.cooking