Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bottom Round Roast

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Okay, I confess. I have never bought a bottom round roast. It's on sale
> at Dierberg's this week for $2.49 a pound.

That's kind of high for bottom round... $1.69-$1.89/lb here in
hillybilly NY... I usually get top round for $2.49/lb.

> I bought 2 of them a little
> over 3 lbs. each. Other than the usual pot roast, any suggestions for
> this cut of meat? I like top round and usually roast it. I use the
> leftovers for sandwiches with horseradish

Bottom round is better for pot roast/stew but if you don't mind very
lean then you can dry roast it same as top round... be sure to remove
all the silver skin and that big wedge of gristle, then tie with
butcher twine before roasting. I think it's better sliced cold the
next day.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> > Okay, I confess. I have never bought a bottom round roast. It's on sale
> > at Dierberg's this week for $2.49 a pound.

> That's kind of high for bottom round... $1.69-$1.89/lb here in
> hillybilly NY... I usually get top round for $2.49/lb.

Top round here in Texas is running about $3.79.
Bottom round is only about 50 cents per lb. cheaper.

--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> I wanna do a whole top sirloin, but I haven't seen a decent sale
> on those recently (used to be able to get them for $2 - $2.50) a
> couple times a year.
>
> -sw

Kroger used to do a beef sale a couple times a year too. We'd get a
whole rib eye for (IIRC)4.99/pound or so and they'd slice it for you
free. I haven't seen that sale in ages.
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 13:17:38 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >Top round here in Texas is running about $3.79.
> >Bottom round is only about 50 cents per lb. cheaper.

> Randall's had then for $1.99 last week and they were actually
> pretty good - considering it was Randall's. I bought two (about
> 6lbs worth) and used them for sandwiches (roasted med-rare). First
> time I've bought anything from Randall's in 2-3 years.

No Randall's in San Marcos. :-(
Just HEB and Wal-mart.

When I stock up on meat in Austin, I generally go to My Thanh and
Fiesta.....

Wish I got the Randall's ads! I do get the Sun Harvest ads and they have
killer deals on veggies, and chicken on some weeks.

> I wanna do a whole top sirloin, but I haven't seen a decent sale
> on those recently (used to be able to get them for $2 - $2.50) a
> couple times a year.
>
> -sw

Hopefully, prices will be sane again soon now that Japan is buying our
beef again. :-) I miss the sirloin sales too, even tho' I had to
tenderize the steaks.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:13:11 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >No Randall's in San Marcos. :-(

> Well, that's mostly a blessing, then.
>
> >Just HEB and Wal-mart.

> IOW: Just HEB.

Heh.

> >Hopefully, prices will be sane again soon now that Japan is buying our
> >beef again. :-) I miss the sirloin sales too, even tho' I had to
> >tenderize the steaks.

> I invested in a jacquard, but I hardly ever use it.
>
> -sw

I have one of those also.
I pretty much only ever use it on Sirloin.....
--
Om.