Posted to rec.food.cooking
cybercat cybercat is offline

Default Bottom Round Roast

"Kent" > wrote

> Boeuf en daube a favorite of Virginia Woolf and Marcel Proust. You
> lard the cut with fresh back fat and braise it, then cool it and let its
> juices form a gelee about the meat. Then slice and eat it cool. It's
> extraordinary when done correctly.

I found this recipe, from 1959, James Beard:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/101470

Pretty interesting, it's essentially the same principle as
wrapping filet mignon in bacon, adding fat to a lean
cut to tenderize it. The main thing about it that sounds
good to me is the flavor the fatback would add to the
mix. What a great excuse to buy some Hennesey!