Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How do you make cranberry sauce from scratch?

We usually have that tinned glop that tastes like jam... I don't
actually mind it, but it's not exactly healthy, and we're trying to
eat right, so I lashed out and bought a bag of real fresh cranberries
for us! Now how do I make them into something edible to have with our
turkey and ham tomorrow? What's the minimum amount of sugar you need
for one bag of cranberries?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> We usually have that tinned glop that tastes like jam... I don't
> actually mind it, but it's not exactly healthy, and we're trying to
> eat right, so I lashed out and bought a bag of real fresh cranberries
> for us! Now how do I make them into something edible to have with our
> turkey and ham tomorrow? What's the minimum amount of sugar you need
> for one bag of cranberries?

There have been about a million posts about this in the past few days
The recipe is on the bag of cranberries. Use less sugar if you'd like to.
But you really need to start *now* and let it sit in the refrigerator at
least over night.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen AKA Kajikit" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> We usually have that tinned glop that tastes like jam... I don't
> actually mind it, but it's not exactly healthy, and we're trying to
> eat right, so I lashed out and bought a bag of real fresh cranberries
> for us! Now how do I make them into something edible to have with our
> turkey and ham tomorrow? What's the minimum amount of sugar you need
> for one bag of cranberries?

I just finished making the 2007 Gourmet magazine version which includes
Grappa. For 20 ounces of cranberries, weighed from 2 bags of 12 ounces
each, it took 1.75 cups of sugar. I would have liked it slightly tarter,
but hey. So maybe 1 cup per 12 ounce package?

The first challenge here is getting cranberries. My kid smuggled them in
for me. I can buy Grappa anywhere for as little as 6 bucks a bottle, but
cranberries rank up there with snipe for rarity. Anyway, it's done and
refrigerating and it tasted good. It was messy to make, using lots of pots
and bowls and a food mill, Easy, but messy. Their instructions included
pressing it through a china cap and a dishtowel and would have been even
worse.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> We usually have that tinned glop that tastes like jam... I don't
> actually mind it, but it's not exactly healthy, and we're trying to
> eat right, so I lashed out and bought a bag of real fresh cranberries
> for us! Now how do I make them into something edible to have with our
> turkey and ham tomorrow? What's the minimum amount of sugar you need
> for one bag of cranberries?

I use 2/3 cup of sugar for a 12oz bag.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 21, 9:23 am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "Karen AKA Kajikit" > ha scritto nel messaggionews:jcn8k3lj2e0b1pv9lcv6gbde1g4km7hqu0@4 ax.com...
>
> > We usually have that tinned glop that tastes like jam... I don't
> > actually mind it, but it's not exactly healthy, and we're trying to
> > eat right, so I lashed out and bought a bag of real fresh cranberries
> > for us! Now how do I make them into something edible to have with our
> > turkey and ham tomorrow? What's the minimum amount of sugar you need
> > for one bag of cranberries?

> I just finished making the 2007 Gourmet magazine version which includes
> Grappa. For 20 ounces of cranberries, weighed from 2 bags of 12 ounces
> each, it took 1.75 cups of sugar. I would have liked it slightly tarter,
> but hey. So maybe 1 cup per 12 ounce package?
>
> The first challenge here is getting cranberries. My kid smuggled them in
> for me. I can buy Grappa anywhere for as little as 6 bucks a bottle, but
> cranberries rank up there with snipe for rarity. Anyway, it's done and
> refrigerating and it tasted good. It was messy to make, using lots of pots
> and bowls and a food mill, Easy, but messy. Their instructions included
> pressing it through a china cap and a dishtowel and would have been even
> worse.

I think that difficulty getting the cranberries, even in the US, was
the reason so many people relied on the canned glop for many years.

But you don't want to re-create the canned glop! One of the great
things about making the sauce fresh is leaving in the lumps. It
tastes much much better that way. Dump the china cap.

Grappa has no place anywhere near cranberry sauce in my book. It's a
sturdy New England Yankee dish and they only take a little medicinal
brandy on their deathbeds.

Susan B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sueb" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Nov 21, 9:23 am, "Giusi" > wrote:
>> "Karen AKA Kajikit" > ha scritto nel
>> messaggionews:jcn8k3lj2e0b1pv9lcv6gbde1g4km7hqu0@4 ax.com...

I just finished making the 2007 Gourmet magazine version which includes
>> Grappa.

> But you don't want to re-create the canned glop! One of the great things
> about making the sauce fresh is leaving in the lumps. It tastes much much
> better that way. Dump the china cap.
>
> Grappa has no place anywhere near cranberry sauce in my book. It's a
> sturdy New England Yankee dish and they only take a little medicinal
> brandy on their deathbeds.
>
> Susan B.

I was a sturdy New Englander myself, and we also will be having the other
kind made by a couple from Texas. But I have loved many versions, plain and
fancy. Cranberry Jezebel is one of my faves, but since we are feasting in
Italy I decided to make this version as well.

Even milling the lumpy kind, which does jell, still doesn't taste like the
tinned kind. If tinned were all there were, I'd eat that. I just love
cranberries.
--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen AKA Kajikit" > wrote in message
> We usually have that tinned glop that tastes like jam... I don't
> actually mind it, but it's not exactly healthy, and we're trying to
> eat right, so I lashed out and bought a bag of real fresh cranberries
> for us! Now how do I make them into something edible to have with our
> turkey and ham tomorrow? What's the minimum amount of sugar you need
> for one bag of cranberries?

Use about 1/2 cup of sugar, use orange juice instead of water and toss in
some chopped candied ginger too.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
> Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
>> We usually have that tinned glop that tastes like jam... I don't
>> actually mind it, but it's not exactly healthy, and we're trying to
>> eat right, so I lashed out and bought a bag of real fresh cranberries
>> for us! Now how do I make them into something edible to have with our
>> turkey and ham tomorrow? What's the minimum amount of sugar you need
>> for one bag of cranberries?

> I use 2/3 cup of sugar for a 12oz bag.

So do I, and a cup of water.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 21 Nov 2007 09:34:11a, Karen AKA Kajikit meant to say...

> We usually have that tinned glop that tastes like jam... I don't
> actually mind it, but it's not exactly healthy, and we're trying to
> eat right, so I lashed out and bought a bag of real fresh cranberries
> for us! Now how do I make them into something edible to have with our
> turkey and ham tomorrow? What's the minimum amount of sugar you need
> for one bag of cranberries?

Usually there's a recipe on the bag of cranberries. You could start with
2/3-3/4 cup of sugar. I have seen people use as much as a cup to a cup and
a half. It all depends on your preference.

--
November 15th,2007
¦ A mind is a terrible thing to lose... ¦
| |_ _ ,_ |/ , _ . .,_ _
| | |(_|| ||\/_)(_|||/|| |(_|
___ ._| ._|
.'=:-\
/.='( ` give thanks...
/. ^=.'-._..---.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I know the original poster wants to make a sauce with Cranberries but
the poster is also concerned with the fact that Cranberries are so
damn bitter that you need a ton of sugar to make them eatable as a
sauce. I think nutritional concerns were also mentioned. I would
suggest looking at Cranberries......in a way other than as an
ingrediant for a sauce. Forget about the sugar (processed) and think
of Cranberries as a tart-bitter flavouring for a salad. I have put
whole and fresh cranberries through the food processor then used the
fine particles to flavour salads that are chicken ceasars or oriental
salads or whatever.....gives a nice edge to the taste of any salad
dressing used and can be complimented and contrasted in a variety of
salads with the use of small (mandarin-like) oranges.....you
cansprinkle or mix in as much as you want depending on what kind of
taste you are looking for.........if nutritional value is what you are
looking for then I think this is a lot better way to get cranvberries
into your body than by preparing as a sweet sauce full of processed
sugar.

Cheers

TJ

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:12:11 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Wed 21 Nov 2007 09:34:11a, Karen AKA Kajikit meant to say...
>
>> We usually have that tinned glop that tastes like jam... I don't
>> actually mind it, but it's not exactly healthy, and we're trying to
>> eat right, so I lashed out and bought a bag of real fresh cranberries
>> for us! Now how do I make them into something edible to have with our
>> turkey and ham tomorrow? What's the minimum amount of sugar you need
>> for one bag of cranberries?

>Usually there's a recipe on the bag of cranberries. You could start with
>2/3-3/4 cup of sugar. I have seen people use as much as a cup to a cup and
>a half. It all depends on your preference.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi > wrote:

> The first challenge here is getting cranberries.

I'm surprised. Cranberries, even those labelled as such and imported
from America or Canada, are easy to find here in Germany. Moosbeeren
(same thing but locally grown) also can be found. Have you looked for
mortelle di palude?

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:12:11 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Wed 21 Nov 2007 09:34:11a, Karen AKA Kajikit meant to say...
>
>> We usually have that tinned glop that tastes like jam... I don't
>> actually mind it, but it's not exactly healthy, and we're trying to
>> eat right, so I lashed out and bought a bag of real fresh cranberries
>> for us! Now how do I make them into something edible to have with our
>> turkey and ham tomorrow? What's the minimum amount of sugar you need
>> for one bag of cranberries?

>Usually there's a recipe on the bag of cranberries. You could start with
>2/3-3/4 cup of sugar. I have seen people use as much as a cup to a cup and
>a half. It all depends on your preference.

The recipe on the bag actually says to use a cup and a half of sugar
for 12 ounces of berries, and it seemed like WAY too much to me! I'm
glad to hear that confirmed. I'll try 3/4 of a cup and see how it
works out - if we hate it, there's canned stuff in the cupboard for a
backup :P

So I just put the berries in a saucepan with water and sugar and stew
them until they burst? Then chill overnight? Well, I'm off to try it
out!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:47:30 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
>> We usually have that tinned glop that tastes like jam... I don't
>> actually mind it, but it's not exactly healthy, and we're trying to
>> eat right, so I lashed out and bought a bag of real fresh cranberries
>> for us! Now how do I make them into something edible to have with our
>> turkey and ham tomorrow? What's the minimum amount of sugar you need
>> for one bag of cranberries?

>There have been about a million posts about this in the past few days
>The recipe is on the bag of cranberries. Use less sugar if you'd like to.
>But you really need to start *now* and let it sit in the refrigerator at
>least over night.

There may have been... but there's also been so much spam that I
haven't had time to weed it out and find them! The recipe on the bag
sounded like far too much sugar (1-1/2 cups for one bag?!) I'll try
half that, as various posters have suggested and see how it works
out...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen AKA Kajikit" > wrote in message
> We usually have that tinned glop that tastes like jam... I don't
> actually mind it, but it's not exactly healthy, and we're trying to
> eat right, so I lashed out and bought a bag of real fresh cranberries
> for us! Now how do I make them into something edible to have with our
> turkey and ham tomorrow? What's the minimum amount of sugar you need
> for one bag of cranberries?

I just do it to taste. I generally use an artificial sweetener because we
have a lot of diabetics in the family.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:15:03 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
> wrote:

>The recipe on the bag actually says to use a cup and a half of sugar
>for 12 ounces of berries, and it seemed like WAY too much to me! I'm
>glad to hear that confirmed. I'll try 3/4 of a cup and see how it
>works out - if we hate it, there's canned stuff in the cupboard for a
>backup :P

You can always add more sugar, but you can't take it out.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:

> We usually have that tinned glop that tastes like jam... I don't
> actually mind it, but it's not exactly healthy, and we're trying to
> eat right, so I lashed out and bought a bag of real fresh cranberries
> for us! Now how do I make them into something edible to have with our
> turkey and ham tomorrow? What's the minimum amount of sugar you need
> for one bag of cranberries?

Follow the recipe on the back of the bag. Minimum amount of sugar? I
don't know. I'd reduce it by a third, maybe, and I'm not sure I'd use
less than half the amount in the recipe. Chew on a couple cranberries,
Karen -- they're pretty tart.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 17:12:09 -0800, sf wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:15:03 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
> wrote:
>
>>The recipe on the bag actually says to use a cup and a half of sugar
>>for 12 ounces of berries, and it seemed like WAY too much to me! I'm
>>glad to hear that confirmed. I'll try 3/4 of a cup and see how it
>>works out - if we hate it, there's canned stuff in the cupboard for a
>>backup :P

>You can always add more sugar, but you can't take it out.

Exactly! 3/4 of a cup seemed okay... John actually said it was a
little sweet, but I hate bitter flavours... we'll see how it is cold.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" > ha scritto nel messaggio
.. .
> Giusi > wrote:
>
>> The first challenge here is getting cranberries.

> I'm surprised. Cranberries, even those labelled as such and imported
> from America or Canada, are easy to find here in Germany. Moosbeeren
> (same thing but locally grown) also can be found. Have you looked for
> mortelle di palude?
>
> Victor

Apparently in big cities some stores have them frozen or occasionally fresh,
but I live in a small city where both cranberries and cheddar are considered
extremely exotic and no one has ever tasted them except at my house. I
might have found them in Rome or Torino or Milan, but I am hours by train
from those cities.

Every time I make any cake/torte with a glaze, my cook friend will clap her
hands and say, "Ahhh, sciroppo di acero! Mi piace tanto." (ahh, maple
syrup! I like it very much.)
--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

G'day TJ,

I was interested to see this post of yours. It does sound like a more
interesting way to use cranberries than those cranberry flavoured
cordials people have been posting.

The thread got me interested because a mate of mine here in the deep
north of the deep south mentioned just last Sunday that he had tried
cranberries for the first time -- and found them virtually inedible!

Frankly, I didn't even know you could buy the damn things here, so I
was a bit surprised when he mentioned them. He certainly wouldn't
want them with sugar, and I actually doubt he would bother with your
approach anyway, but I'll mention it to him (at the pub tomorrow
evening and he might try again. I might even give them a go that
way myself, if there are still any in town. :-)

In article >, TJ
> wrote:
>I know the original poster wants to make a sauce with Cranberries but
>the poster is also concerned with the fact that Cranberries are so
>damn bitter that you need a ton of sugar to make them eatable as a
>sauce. I think nutritional concerns were also mentioned. I would
>suggest looking at Cranberries......in a way other than as an
>ingrediant for a sauce. Forget about the sugar (processed) and think
>of Cranberries as a tart-bitter flavouring for a salad. I have put
>whole and fresh cranberries through the food processor then used the
>fine particles to flavour salads that are chicken ceasars or oriental
>salads or whatever.....gives a nice edge to the taste of any salad
>dressing used and can be complimented and contrasted in a variety of
>salads with the use of small (mandarin-like) oranges.....you
>can sprinkle or mix in as much as you want depending on what kind of
>taste you are looking for.........if nutritional value is what you are
>looking for then I think this is a lot better way to get cranvberries
>into your body than by preparing as a sweet sauce full of processed
>sugar.

What nutritional value do they have? Are they just one of the *many*
things that are too sour to eat but are promoted as having the world's
greatest concentration of vitamin C? (I'm heartily sick of this
"vitamin C" promotion in all the "health" books and articles. Anyone
would think from reading that sort of crap that vitamin C was all you
needed for a healthy life! Jesus wept! As they say, one is born
every minute!

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 09:48:34 -0800 (PST), sueb >
wrote:

>Grappa has no place anywhere near cranberry sauce in my book. It's a
>sturdy New England Yankee dish and they only take a little medicinal
>brandy on their deathbeds.
>
>Susan B.

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a
snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 21, 11:34 am, Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:
> We usually have that tinned glop that tastes like jam... I don't
> actually mind it, but it's not exactly healthy, and we're trying to
> eat right, so I lashed out and bought a bag of real fresh cranberries
> for us! Now how do I make them into something edible to have with our
> turkey and ham tomorrow? What's the minimum amount of sugar you need
> for one bag of cranberries?

From the betterlatethannever files: Depends on what you like. We
like ours tart, so I use 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, and 12 oz of
berries. Came out tart but a good foil for the savory turkey.

maxine in ri, having steak and sweet potato fries today at the big
Sis's house
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sueb wrote:

> I think that difficulty getting the cranberries, even in the US, was
> the reason so many people relied on the canned glop for many years.

I have never had trouble finding cranberries here in southern Ontario. We
always had home made cranberry sauce in our family. I can't imagine anyone
using the canned stuff, but lots of people around here seem to.

> But you don't want to re-create the canned glop! One of the great
> things about making the sauce fresh is leaving in the lumps. It
> tastes much much better that way. Dump the china cap.

The real stuff has a nice tang to it.

> Grappa has no place anywhere near cranberry sauce in my book. It's a
> sturdy New England Yankee dish and they only take a little medicinal
> brandy on their deathbeds.

I don't understand the grappa. I have tried various cranberry relishes,
with orange and other *******izations. My favourite is still plain old
cranberry sauce. There is no need to ruin a perfect food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> sueb wrote:
>>
>> I think that difficulty getting the cranberries, even in the US, was
>> the reason so many people relied on the canned glop for many years.

> I have never had trouble finding cranberries here in southern Ontario. We
> always had home made cranberry sauce in our family. I can't imagine anyone
> using the canned stuff, but lots of people around here seem to.
>

>> But you don't want to re-create the canned glop! One of the great
>> things about making the sauce fresh is leaving in the lumps. It
>> tastes much much better that way. Dump the china cap.

> The real stuff has a nice tang to it.
>

>> Grappa has no place anywhere near cranberry sauce in my book. It's a
>> sturdy New England Yankee dish and they only take a little medicinal
>> brandy on their deathbeds.

> I don't understand the grappa. I have tried various cranberry relishes,
> with orange and other *******izations. My favourite is still plain old
> cranberry sauce. There is no need to ruin a perfect food.

It wasn't ruined. It was very nice. When you are recreating an American
meal in a foreign country, it isn't a bad thing to let the other country
have a bit of influence.
I am a bit amazed that some people have such a proprietal attitude about
cranberry sauce when you think what they've done with spaghetti and pizza
over there. Come on, guys, fair play.
--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> > I don't understand the grappa. I have tried various cranberry relishes,
> > with orange and other *******izations. My favourite is still plain old
> > cranberry sauce. There is no need to ruin a perfect food.

> It wasn't ruined. It was very nice. When you are recreating an American
> meal in a foreign country, it isn't a bad thing to let the other country
> have a bit of influence.
> I am a bit amazed that some people have such a proprietal attitude about
> cranberry sauce when you think what they've done with spaghetti and pizza
> over there. Come on, guys, fair play.

I will agree that lots of liberties are taken with pizza. There are lot of
bad pizzas on this side of the ocean, but the worst pizza I ever had was in
Italy. I had it at a train station in Milan, maybe not the best place to
get it.