Old 12-11-2007, 01:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Stuffing

I got a recipe the other day to use this commercially prepared
'stuffing' mix. It's been on the market for years but this is
something I've never used. I was mighty disappointed in this product
as it seems to be more of a light bread consistency (doughy) when
cooked. I guess I was thinking it would be like cornbread. I don't
think I'll be buying this again as I'll bake a smallish skillet of
cornbread and be assured of the results.

Not that I want to buy any more, but do they make a more cornbread
type product?

Old 12-11-2007, 02:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 11 Nov 2007 05:53:53p, itsjoannotjoann meant to say...

I got a recipe the other day to use this commercially prepared
'stuffing' mix. It's been on the market for years but this is
something I've never used. I was mighty disappointed in this product
as it seems to be more of a light bread consistency (doughy) when
cooked. I guess I was thinking it would be like cornbread. I don't
think I'll be buying this again as I'll bake a smallish skillet of
cornbread and be assured of the results.

Not that I want to buy any more, but do they make a more cornbread
type product?

Not like the way my cornbread turns out (which is substantial, not light).

When I make cornbread dressing, I bake a pan of cornbread and bake some
biscuits, both the day before I want to use them. I cut the cornbread into
wedges, then leave both breads exposed to air overnight, before making the
dressing.

--
Wayne Boatwright

(to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)

OK, I'm weird ! But I'm saving up to be eccentric.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 11, 7:00 pm, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Not like the way my cornbread turns out (which is substantial, not light).

When I make cornbread dressing, I bake a pan of cornbread and bake some
biscuits, both the day before I want to use them. I cut the cornbread into
wedges, then leave both breads exposed to air overnight, before making the
dressing.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Yeah, I normally just make a pan of cornbread and I'm a happy camper
with the way my dressing turns out. But I thought, ok I'll try the
Pepperidge Farms stuff and do the recipe as written and save some time
to boot. I won't be doing that again! Blech!

Old 12-11-2007, 02:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Nov 11, 4:53 pm, itsjoannotjoann wrote:
I got a recipe the other day to use this commercially prepared
'stuffing' mix. It's been on the market for years but this is
something I've never used. I was mighty disappointed in this product
as it seems to be more of a light bread consistency (doughy) when
cooked. I guess I was thinking it would be like cornbread. [snip]

What a strange thing to complain about. It didn't say "cornbread" on
the box, did it? Why did you expect it to be cornbread rather than
bread?

Not that I want to buy any more, but do they make a more cornbread
type product?

I don't know about Pepperidge Farms, but there are other prepared
mixes that are made from cornbread. You can tell because they are
called something like "cornbread stuffing mix." -aem

Old 12-11-2007, 05:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 11, 7:55 pm, aem wrote:
On Nov 11, 4:53 pm, itsjoannotjoann wrote:

I got a recipe the other day to use this commercially prepared
'stuffing' mix. It's been on the market for years but this is
something I've never used. I was mighty disappointed in this product
as it seems to be more of a light bread consistency (doughy) when
cooked. I guess I was thinking it would be like cornbread. [snip]

What a strange thing to complain about. It didn't say "cornbread" on
the box, did it? Why did you expect it to be cornbread rather than
bread?

Yes, it did say cornbread on the bag. I thought I would follow the
recipe to the letter and not make any changes.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 11, 8:16 pm, "Janet" wrote:
"aem" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Nov 11, 4:53 pm, itsjoannotjoann wrote:
I got a recipe the other day to use this commercially prepared
'stuffing' mix. It's been on the market for years but this is
something I've never used. I was mighty disappointed in this product
as it seems to be more of a light bread consistency (doughy) when
cooked. I guess I was thinking it would be like cornbread. [snip]

What a strange thing to complain about. It didn't say "cornbread" on
the box, did it? Why did you expect it to be cornbread rather than
bread?

Not that I want to buy any more, but do they make a more cornbread
type product?

I don't know about Pepperidge Farms, but there are other prepared
mixes that are made from cornbread. You can tell because they are
called something like "cornbread stuffing mix." -aem

I believe that Pepperidge Farm does make a cornbread stuffing mix. They make
a wide variety of stuffings: white bread, wheat bread, herb, crumbs, cubes,
cornbread, and so on.

I think that the cubed herb versions are actually excellent as a base for
stuffing cooked in a bird, but you then need to add herbs, cream, eggs,
sherry, broth, sausage, apples or dried cherries, sauteed onion and celery
and garlic, and so forth. None of them are of the "stovetop" variety, as far
as I know, and it sounds as if that is what you were doing with whatever you
purchased.

Oh gosh, I can't tolerate that ''stovetop variety mess." The recipe I
was given called for this particular ''cornbread stuffing" and as
directed I added onions, celery, low-sodium chicken broth, etc. I
just didn't care for the taste all that much but mainly the doughy
consistency. Followed the directions of how to bake it, but this will
not be a recipe I'll be making again with P. F. cornbread stuffing
mix.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:

I got a recipe the other day to use this commercially prepared
'stuffing' mix. It's been on the market for years but this is
something I've never used. I was mighty disappointed in this product
as it seems to be more of a light bread consistency (doughy) when
cooked. I guess I was thinking it would be like cornbread. I don't
think I'll be buying this again as I'll bake a smallish skillet of
cornbread and be assured of the results.

Not that I want to buy any more, but do they make a more cornbread
type product?

All those commercial stuffings are ghastly, full of all kinds of
schmutz additives...better to make your own from scratch, it's very
easy.

--
Best
Greg

Old 12-11-2007, 08:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
On Nov 11, 4:53 pm, itsjoannotjoann wrote:
I got a recipe the other day to use this commercially prepared
'stuffing' mix. It's been on the market for years but this is
something I've never used. I was mighty disappointed in this product
as it seems to be more of a light bread consistency (doughy) when
cooked. I guess I was thinking it would be like cornbread. [snip]

What a strange thing to complain about. It didn't say "cornbread" on
the box, did it? Why did you expect it to be cornbread rather than
bread?

And they do make a cornbread variety.

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com
Old 12-11-2007, 08:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
"aem" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

IMO they're a decent bread base. You HAVE to add tons of stuff to them,
but they work in a pinch if you don't have bread lying around.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"itsjoannotjoann" wrote in message
ups.com...

Oh gosh, I can't tolerate that ''stovetop variety mess." The recipe I
was given called for this particular ''cornbread stuffing" and as
directed I added onions, celery, low-sodium chicken broth, etc. I
just didn't care for the taste all that much but mainly the doughy
consistency. Followed the directions of how to bake it, but this will
not be a recipe I'll be making again with P. F. cornbread stuffing
mix.

I have never used Pepperidge Farms stuffing either but I enjoy many
Pepperidge Farms products. (I was disappointed when they stopped making
their excellent lobster bisque.) Unlike some other posters, I do like
stovetop stuffing. The last time I made it was with canned chicken stock
instead of water. It did fluff up a bit and was a nice quick treat. While
not as good as made from scratch but good for something that only takes a
few minutes.

Mitch

Old 12-11-2007, 06:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 11, 8:16 pm, "Janet" wrote:
"aem" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

I've never put eggs in stuffing or dressing, and don't know anyone who
does (although I saw someone on the Food Network do it). To me,
there's no reason to add them; they do nothing for the finished dish.
The same goes for apples, sausage and cream (???). We like our
dressing/stuffing without all that other stuff, although a good
sausage/apple stuffing is nice now and then for a change.

I use PF herbed croutettes for dressing and love it. I add minced
giblets that have been simmered and thoroughly cooked, diced onion and
celery, chopped fresh parsley, plenty of turkey broth from the
simmered giblets, a generous amount of real butter, and whatever herbs
I think I might like more of. It's always a winner; everyone loves
it, and it slices great for that left-over turkey/cranberry sandwich
the next day.

N.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 said...

ups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Saw this recipe on another newsgroup:

White Castle Turkey Stuffing

http://www.recipesource.com/fgv/stuf...e-turkey1.html

Probably better fresh than frozen.

Andy
Old 12-11-2007, 06:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 12, 11:04 am, Nancy2 wrote:

I've never put eggs in stuffing or dressing, and don't know anyone who
does (although I saw someone on the Food Network do it).

Raises hand, I do add two eggs as my mom and everyone around here
does.

To me,
there's no reason to add them; they do nothing for the finished dish.

Probably not, but it acts like a binder.

The same goes for apples, sausage and cream (???). We like our
dressing/stuffing without all that other stuff, although a good
sausage/apple stuffing is nice now and then for a change.

I guess because all we ever had was a cornbread dressing with eggs
(!), l-o-t-s of onions and celery, turkey broth, salt, pepper, sage,
and a bit of butter is what I REALLY prefer. Childhood memories and
tastes prevail for all of us I suppose.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I guess because all we ever had was a cornbread dressing with eggs
(!), l-o-t-s of onions and celery, turkey broth, salt, pepper, sage,
and a bit of butter is what I REALLY prefer. Childhood memories and
tastes prevail for all of us I suppose.

It doesn't need a binder if the broth is in the correct proportion -
leftovers slice beautifully without the eggs. Try it once - I bet you
won't notice they aren't there. ;-)

N.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 12 Nov 2007 01:51:29p, Nancy2 meant to say...

I guess because all we ever had was a cornbread dressing with eggs
(!), l-o-t-s of onions and celery, turkey broth, salt, pepper, sage,
and a bit of butter is what I REALLY prefer. Childhood memories and
tastes prevail for all of us I suppose.

It doesn't need a binder if the broth is in the correct proportion -
leftovers slice beautifully without the eggs. Try it once - I bet you
won't notice they aren't there. ;-)

N.

Mine's gotta have eggs!