Posted to rec.food.cooking
itsjoannotjoann itsjoannotjoann is offline

Default Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Stuffing

On Nov 11, 8:16 pm, "Janet" > wrote:
> "aem" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > On Nov 11, 4:53 pm, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
> >> I got a recipe the other day to use this commercially prepared
> >> 'stuffing' mix. It's been on the market for years but this is
> >> something I've never used. I was mighty disappointed in this product
> >> as it seems to be more of a light bread consistency (doughy) when
> >> cooked. I guess I was thinking it would be like cornbread. [snip]

> > What a strange thing to complain about. It didn't say "cornbread" on
> > the box, did it? Why did you expect it to be cornbread rather than
> > bread?

> >> Not that I want to buy any more, but do they make a more cornbread
> >> type product?

> > I don't know about Pepperidge Farms, but there are other prepared
> > mixes that are made from cornbread. You can tell because they are
> > called something like "cornbread stuffing mix." -aem

> I believe that Pepperidge Farm does make a cornbread stuffing mix. They make
> a wide variety of stuffings: white bread, wheat bread, herb, crumbs, cubes,
> cornbread, and so on.
>
> I think that the cubed herb versions are actually excellent as a base for
> stuffing cooked in a bird, but you then need to add herbs, cream, eggs,
> sherry, broth, sausage, apples or dried cherries, sauteed onion and celery
> and garlic, and so forth. None of them are of the "stovetop" variety, as far
> as I know, and it sounds as if that is what you were doing with whatever you
> purchased.

Oh gosh, I can't tolerate that ''stovetop variety mess." The recipe I
was given called for this particular ''cornbread stuffing" and as
directed I added onions, celery, low-sodium chicken broth, etc. I
just didn't care for the taste all that much but mainly the doughy
consistency. Followed the directions of how to bake it, but this will
not be a recipe I'll be making again with P. F. cornbread stuffing
mix.