Old 06-11-2007, 12:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Peanut Brittle

Been making this for 30+ years since I tasted it at a friends' house back in
1975 or so. The candy thermometer is important since if you misjudge it by
a few degrees less it's chewy, not brittle. A few degrees more and it's
burnt. And definitely use raw peanuts. I had a friend try this who used
already roasted peanuts and they burnt to a crisp in the candy. It was not
a pretty sight!

Peanut Brittle

1 c. white granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. light corn syrup
1/4 c. water
1 c. raw spanish peanuts (skins on)
2 Tbs. softened butter

Grease a cookie sheet (I use butter to grease the pan.) In a heavy saucepan
on medium heat, bring the sugar, corn syrup and water to a boil. Stir until
sugar dissolves. Stir in raw peanuts; set candy thermometer in place.
Stirring almost constantly, cook until temp. reaches 300F degrees. Remove
from heat. Immediately stir in butter and baking soda. Pour at once onto
greased cookie sheet. Spread with a pair of forks into a rectangle shape.
Let cool. Snap into pieces. Store tightly covered. Makes l lb.

Jill

Old 06-11-2007, 01:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Jill. This brings to mind a peanut brittle recipe I saw someone
make in a microwave oven. Basically the ingredients were poured right onto
the microwave glass. It took just a couple of minutes as I recall.

I've never seen a recipe for it - but there it was.

Oh, my aching teeth! Yes, I still have teeth!
Dee Dee

Old 06-11-2007, 01:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:

Thanks, Jill. This brings to mind a peanut brittle recipe I saw someone
make in a microwave oven. Basically the ingredients were poured right onto
the microwave glass. It took just a couple of minutes as I recall.

I've never seen a recipe for it - but there it was.

Oh, my aching teeth! Yes, I still have teeth!
Dee Dee

This is one I've used for years (and have posted here in the past) I
like to use a large (8 cup??) handled Pyrex mixing bowl for the nuking-

* Exported from MasterCook *

Microwave Peanut Brittle

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts

1 cup raw peanuts
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup white karo
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda

Stir peanuts, sugar, karo and salt into 1 1/2 quart casserole.
Cook 4 min on High. Stir
Cook 4 more min. on High.
Mix in butter and vanilla. Cook 2 more min. on High.
Add baking soda and stir till white and foamy.
Pour onto lightly greased sheet pan and cool one hour.
Break into pieces and store in airtight container.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

LOL I broke a tooth over a Thanksgiving weekends eating my own home-made
peanut brittle! Haven't made any since then. Might try again though and
make it realllllllly thin.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
Jill,

I've never made peanut brittle, but I make a lot of toffee. I've
switched from using a buttered pan to using a Silpat. Works MUCH
better for me, in terms of reliability of release.

Of course, if it ain't broke, why fix it? G

There was no Silpat in 1975 I got the recipe from a neighborhood kid's
mom She was totally surprised I wanted to know how she made it! I made the
mistake once of trying this in a glass pan and cooking spray. Ooops!
Besides, the butter makes it all the better.

Jill

Old 06-11-2007, 07:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
Been making this for 30+ years since I tasted it at a friends' house back in
1975 or so. The candy thermometer is important since if you misjudge it by
a few degrees less it's chewy, not brittle. A few degrees more and it's
burnt. And definitely use raw peanuts. I had a friend try this who used
already roasted peanuts and they burnt to a crisp in the candy. It was not
a pretty sight!

I make this one in the microwave and it's perfect every time:

Microwave Peanut Brittle
SUBMITTED BY: Joyce at Allrecipes.com

INGREDIENTS

* 1 cup white sugar
* 1/2 cup light corn syrup
* 1 cup salted peanuts
* 1 teaspoon butter
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 teaspoon baking soda

DIRECTIONS

1. Butter a cookie sheet. Combine sugar and corn syrup in a 2 quart
glass bowl and microwave on high 4 minutes. Stir in peanuts and
microwave on high 3 1/2 minutes more, then stir in butter and vanilla
and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.
2. Stir in baking soda until light and foamy. Pour onto cookie sheet
and spread thin. Cool completely and break into pieces and serve.

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com
Old 06-11-2007, 07:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
Dee.Dee wrote:

[...]

Ha! Same one..should have read ahead.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
Jill,

I've never made peanut brittle, but I make a lot of toffee. I've switched
from using a buttered pan to using a Silpat. Works MUCH better for me, in
terms of reliability of release.

Of course, if it ain't broke, why fix it? G

I don't have a silpat..I just pour it on parchment paper and it comes
off easily as well too.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 6, 1:48?am, ravenlynne wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

The problem with making microwave peanut brittle is every microwave
oven is different. So you really can't give a accurate time as to how
long it needs to cook. I have a microwave peanut brittle recipe and
in my old microwave it took 14 minutes to cook. In a friend's
microwave it took between 7 and 8 minutes to cook. In my new
microwave it takes 8 to 9 minutes to cook. I go strictly by sight and
smell. You start out with raw peanuts and when the peanuts turn a
nice brown color and smell like fresh roasted peanuts you know the
syrup is done too.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 6, 1:48?am, ravenlynne wrote:

snip
The problem with making microwave peanut brittle is every microwave
oven is different. So you really can't give a accurate time as to how
long it needs to cook. I have a microwave peanut brittle recipe and
in my old microwave it took 14 minutes to cook. In a friend's
microwave it took between 7 and 8 minutes to cook. In my new
microwave it takes 8 to 9 minutes to cook. I go strictly by sight and
smell. You start out with raw peanuts and when the peanuts turn a
nice brown color and smell like fresh roasted peanuts you know the
syrup is done too.

Excellent tip, thank you.
Janet

Old 06-11-2007, 04:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

ups.com...
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Now, I'll ask a nitpick question: I have on hand unsalted raw peanuts, I
wonder if I should add salt to the above recipe. Probably, heh?
Thanks.
Dee Dee

Old 06-11-2007, 06:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 6, 12:48 am, ravenlynne wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I don't get how microwave recipes work for "everyone." Microwaves are
all different. What takes 3 1/2 minutes in one might take 3.75
minutes in another.

I think I'll stick with my good ol' candy thermometer and the stove
top. LOL.

N.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Stovetop works for me

Jill

Old 06-11-2007, 10:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

ups.com...

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Dee Dee- Hide quoted text -

The recipe I use uses unsalted raw peanuts. The only additional salt
comes from the 2 tablespoons of butter that's added in at the end.

REC: Peanut Brittle jmcquown General Cooking 4 25-11-2006 05:07 PM
Peanut Brittle Anna Free Recipes (moderated) 0 11-12-2005 02:52 AM
Mom's Peanut Brittle Duckie Recipes 0 22-06-2005 01:32 AM
Peanut Brittle Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 27-11-2004 06:16 AM
Repost: How to Keep Peanut Brittle well.....brittle? shipwreck Baking 5 26-03-2004 03:21 AM