Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Peanut Brittle

I first first posted this around 2002, but I've been making this peanut
brittle since a neighborhood friend's mother gave me her recipe back in the
1970's. Must say she was a little surprised a teenager came knocking to ask
for a recipe.

Peanut Brittle

1 c. white granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. light corn syrup
1/4 c. water
1 c. raw spanish peanuts (skins on)
2 Tbs. softened butter

Grease a cookie sheet (I use butter to grease the pan.) In a heavy saucepan
on medium heat, bring the sugar, corn syrup and water to a boil. Stir until
sugar dissolves. Stir in raw peanuts. Set a candy thermometer in place.
Stirring frequently, cook until temp. reaches 300F degrees. Remove from
heat. Immediately stir in butter and baking soda. Work fast, this stuff
wants to set! Pour at once onto greased cookie sheet. Spread mixture on the
cookie sheet with a pair of forks into a rectangle shape. Let cool. Snap
into pieces. Store tightly covered. Makes l lb.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I first first posted this around 2002, but I've been making this peanut
> brittle since a neighborhood friend's mother gave me her recipe back in the
> 1970's. Must say she was a little surprised a teenager came knocking to ask
> for a recipe.
>
> Peanut Brittle

Here's a recipe for microwave peanut brittle:

Microwave Peanut Brittle

1 cup granulated sugar
6 Tbs light corn syrup
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup raw, shelled peanuts

1 Tbs butter
1 tsp vanilla extract

2 tsp baking soda

Spray cooking oil on a 9 x 12-inch cookie sheet. Set aside until
needed.

Place sugar, corn syrup, salt and peanuts in a 4-cup pyrex measuring
cup. Mix well with wooden spoon.

Microwave 4-minutes at 60% power. Mix well.

Microwave 4-more minutes at 60% power.

Stir in butter and vanilla. Mix well.

Microwave 1-minute at 60% power.

Add baking soda. Stir until mixture foams.

Pour foaming mixture onto cookie sheet and spread evenly over sheet.

When cool, break into pieces.

Recipe is for 1500-watt , turntable microwave. For 750-watt microwave,
use same cooking times, but 100% power.

For easy clean up, soak measuring cup and wooden spoon in warm water.
Stuck on sugar disolves after a few minutes.

Rusty - Sacramento, CA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A half sheet pan lined with a silipat works really well for buttercrunch, so
it would probably work well for brittle also.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

That sounds excellent. I've always heard that the secret to great
peanut brittle is to cook the peanuts in the brittle. I imagine it
would work with raw cashews, almonds, etc. as well.

jmcquown wrote:
> I first first posted this around 2002, but I've been making this peanut
> brittle since a neighborhood friend's mother gave me her recipe back in the
> 1970's....

mike

http://smsfr.blogspot.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ke8yy wrote:
> That sounds excellent. I've always heard that the secret to great
> peanut brittle is to cook the peanuts in the brittle. I imagine it
> would work with raw cashews, almonds, etc. as well.

One year I tried it using already cooked peanuts. By the time the brittle
was ready the peanuts were practically burnt. Never did that again!

Jill

> jmcquown wrote:
>> I first first posted this around 2002, but I've been making this
>> peanut brittle since a neighborhood friend's mother gave me her
>> recipe back in the 1970's....

> mike
>
> http://smsfr.blogspot.com

Peanut Brittle jmcquown General Cooking 21 09-11-2007 04:29 PM
Peanut Brittle Anna Free Recipes (moderated) 0 11-12-2005 01:52 AM
Mom's Peanut Brittle Duckie ® Recipes 0 22-06-2005 01:32 AM
Peanut Brittle Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 27-11-2004 05:16 AM
Repost: How to Keep Peanut Brittle well.....brittle? shipwreck Baking 5 26-03-2004 02:21 AM