Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] djs0302@aol.com is offline

Default Peanut Brittle

On Nov 6, 1:48?am, ravenlynne > wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> > Been making this for 30+ years since I tasted it at a friends' house back in
> > 1975 or so. The candy thermometer is important since if you misjudge it by
> > a few degrees less it's chewy, not brittle. A few degrees more and it's
> > burnt. And definitely use raw peanuts. I had a friend try this who used
> > already roasted peanuts and they burnt to a crisp in the candy. It was not
> > a pretty sight!

> I make this one in the microwave and it's perfect every time:
>
> Microwave Peanut Brittle
> SUBMITTED BY: Joyce at Allrecipes.com
>
> INGREDIENTS
>
> * 1 cup white sugar
> * 1/2 cup light corn syrup
> * 1 cup salted peanuts
> * 1 teaspoon butter
> * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> * 1 teaspoon baking soda
>
> DIRECTIONS
>
> 1. Butter a cookie sheet. Combine sugar and corn syrup in a 2 quart
> glass bowl and microwave on high 4 minutes. Stir in peanuts and
> microwave on high 3 1/2 minutes more, then stir in butter and vanilla
> and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.
> 2. Stir in baking soda until light and foamy. Pour onto cookie sheet
> and spread thin. Cool completely and break into pieces and serve.
>
> --
> -Gina in Italy
>
> http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
> I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com

The problem with making microwave peanut brittle is every microwave
oven is different. So you really can't give a accurate time as to how
long it needs to cook. I have a microwave peanut brittle recipe and
in my old microwave it took 14 minutes to cook. In a friend's
microwave it took between 7 and 8 minutes to cook. In my new
microwave it takes 8 to 9 minutes to cook. I go strictly by sight and
smell. You start out with raw peanuts and when the peanuts turn a
nice brown color and smell like fresh roasted peanuts you know the
syrup is done too.