Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default Peanut Brittle

Been making this for 30+ years since I tasted it at a friends' house back in
1975 or so. The candy thermometer is important since if you misjudge it by
a few degrees less it's chewy, not brittle. A few degrees more and it's
burnt. And definitely use raw peanuts. I had a friend try this who used
already roasted peanuts and they burnt to a crisp in the candy. It was not
a pretty sight!

Peanut Brittle

1 c. white granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. light corn syrup
1/4 c. water
1 c. raw spanish peanuts (skins on)
2 Tbs. softened butter

Grease a cookie sheet (I use butter to grease the pan.) In a heavy saucepan
on medium heat, bring the sugar, corn syrup and water to a boil. Stir until
sugar dissolves. Stir in raw peanuts; set candy thermometer in place.
Stirring almost constantly, cook until temp. reaches 300F degrees. Remove
from heat. Immediately stir in butter and baking soda. Pour at once onto
greased cookie sheet. Spread with a pair of forks into a rectangle shape.
Let cool. Snap into pieces. Store tightly covered. Makes l lb.

Jill