Old 31-10-2007, 07:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Non-Rusting Metal Scouring Pads

My roommate had a metal scouring pad that was looking grungy. It was about
30 years old and belonged to his grandmother. That thing was
indestructible, it didn't rust, and was fantastic. He just kept
sterilizing it in a boiling pot of water from time to time. Aside from its
tangled mass of wires, it was perfect. Well, I decided to surprise him
with a new one, and I threw away the old one. They were a couple of Arden
Clean scouring pads, and within a week, they were starting to rust, they
were shredding to pieces, and they're made in China. This wouldn't really
matter, but I threw away his old scouring pad. He didn't say anything to
me about it until I brought it up, but since I did, he said he was pretty
upset about it. Now I need to find a scouring pad that won't rust or
shred. Any ideas what to look for? I got these for a couple of dollars at
the grocery store, but they suck.

Thanks for any pointers,
Damaeus

Old 31-10-2007, 08:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damaeus wrote:
[...]

Is this a troll? Perhaps.

Did it occur to you that a 30 year old scouring pad which had belonged to
his grandmother would have sentimental value? Yet you tossed it out anyway.
And, adding insult to injury, you threw it away BEFORE you had located a
suitable replacement.

Commonsense must be an infrequent visitor in your life.

Check a restaurant supply store; it will have scrubbie pads that are far
tougher than the stuff in regular consumer outlets.

--
Dave

Old 31-10-2007, 08:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:56:04 GMT, Damaeus
wrote:

[...]

You got steel pads. Get copper ones and they won't rust.

http://www.amazon.com/Chore-Boy-Copp.../dp/B000RO5JC8

Old 31-10-2007, 08:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, "Dave Bugg" posted on Wed,
31 Oct 2007 12:10:06 -0700:

Did it occur to you that a 30 year old scouring pad which had belonged to
his grandmother would have sentimental value? Yet you tossed it out anyway.
And, adding insult to injury, you threw it away BEFORE you had located a
suitable replacement.

He said it didn't have any sentimental value. It was the fact that it was
a good scouring pad.

Commonsense must be an infrequent visitor in your life.

-.- Nice judgment from someone who doesn't know me. Don't I even get any
bonus points for caring enough to try to replace it?

Check a restaurant supply store; it will have scrubbie pads that are far
tougher than the stuff in regular consumer outlets.

Ah, thanks. There's one near here. I figured you had to have some kind of
restaurant license to buy from them.

Damaeus
Old 31-10-2007, 08:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damaeus wrote:

In news:rec.food.cooking, "Dave Bugg" posted on
Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:10:06 -0700:

Check a restaurant supply store; it will have scrubbie pads that are
far tougher than the stuff in regular consumer outlets.

Ah, thanks. There's one near here. I figured you had to have some
kind of restaurant license to buy from them.

Heck no. My largest expenditures at restaurant supply stores are for my
commercial operation. But, I purchase all my pots and pans and other home
kitchen stuff there as well.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 31-10-2007, 10:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cshenk" wrote:
Naw, they take regular folks too g. Look for a thick wired copper one.

Copper scrubbing pads don't rust, but the ones from the grocery
store are thin enough I go through a few per year. I also get a
stainless steel one and they last longer but mostly because I use
them on fewer pans.

I had an old knife. It wasnt fancy or spectacular in cutting, but it
belonged to my grandfather. It would get rusty and have to be hand washed.
My husband didnt know it was special and tossed it out.

I forgave him, but it was 1 of the only 2 things I had of my grandfathers.
He'd brought it from Germany with him when he moved to the USA.

I had one from my great-grandfather that came across the ocean with
him. I lost it in a move. Argh, a century old hand made knife ...

Old 31-10-2007, 11:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damaeus" wrote in message

My roommate had a metal scouring pad that was looking grungy. It was
about
30 years old and belonged to his grandmother. That thing was

Ouch. Family keepsake.

tangled mass of wires, it was perfect. Well, I decided to surprise him
with a new one, and I threw away the old one. They were a couple of Arden

Wince... but you know now and 'done is done'.

upset about it. Now I need to find a scouring pad that won't rust or
shred. Any ideas what to look for? I got these for a couple of dollars
at

Copper ones wont rust.

Old 31-10-2007, 11:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 31, 7:24?pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"Damaeus" wrote in message

My roommate had a metal scouring pad that was looking grungy. It was
about
30 years old and belonged to his grandmother. That thing was
indestructible, it didn't rust, and was fantastic. He just kept
sterilizing it in a boiling pot of water from time to time. Aside from
its
tangled mass of wires, it was perfect. Well, I decided to surprise him
with a new one, and I threw away the old one.

ohhh noooooo.

You are *never* going to find one as good as Granny's.

I don't know his granny but but you could donate a fistful of your
pubes, I bet that wool could scrub the skin off a rhino! G

Sheldon

Old 31-10-2007, 11:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damaeus" wrote

In news:rec.food.cooking, "Dave Bugg" posted on Wed,
31 Oct 2007 12:10:06 -0700:

Did it occur to you that a 30 year old scouring pad which had belonged to
his grandmother would have sentimental value? Yet you tossed it out
anyway.
And, adding insult to injury, you threw it away BEFORE you had located a
suitable replacement.

He said it didn't have any sentimental value. It was the fact that it was
a good scouring pad.

Well, if you aren't a troll, I hope you learned a lesson about
throwing away other people's belongings. It wasn't yours to toss.

nancy

Old 01-11-2007, 02:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damaeus wrote:
[...]

Look in a hardware store fr a stainless steel scrubber.

gloria p
Old 01-11-2007, 03:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 31, 2:58 pm, z wrote:

I would suggest using a killfile and just ignoring cybercat if you don't
like her but that takes at least some intelligence - more than a single
celled bacteria would have which we know you lack even that amount of.
That goes for GM as well. The more you post the more everyone else except
GM knows how dumb you really are.

And you hide behind a name made up for just this post -- why? -
aem

Old 01-11-2007, 07:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 31, 2:58 pm, z wrote:

I would suggest using a killfile and just ignoring cybercat if you don't
like her but that takes at least some intelligence - more than a single
celled bacteria would have which we know you lack even that amount of.
That goes for GM as well. The more you post the more everyone else except
GM knows how dumb you really are.

And you hide behind a name made up for just this post -- why? -
aem

I'm not sure, but it't likely in the same family as why you call a recipe
for chili that differs from yours "trolling."

Asshole.

Cooking pads Quinch General Cooking 184 16-08-2013 10:50 AM
Vinamat filter pads Pleurotus Ostreatus Winemaking 2 26-11-2005 09:44 PM
how do I stop my grill from rusting? [email protected] Cooking Equipment 9 30-08-2004 07:21 PM
how do I stop my grill from rusting? Sailors Cooking Equipment 12 30-08-2004 07:21 PM
Electric Roaster lid is rusting Steve Cooking Equipment 5 03-11-2003 05:00 PM