Sailors

Default how do I stop my grill from rusting?

I recently purchased a new CharGriller drum-style grill. The iron
grate begins to rust within a couple of days of using it. The grill is
in a covered area in the yard and the grate is inside the unit under
the lid. I have greased the grates, taken the grates away from the
heat after cooking so as to not burn the grease off, and still RUST.
Any ideas on what to do? Thanks.
Rina

Question: If you were to replace those grates again, would you use the
porcelain or go for stainless steel? How long have you been using the
porcelain?

We're on the 6th year with the cast iron, if you keep them dirty enough they
won't rust... Laughing

Rina

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Sailors wrote:
> Yup, do what I did when I bought my Weber Genesis Silver Grill with
> cast iron six years ago. Toss those friggin' things and go buy
> porclean grates. I use cast iron pans in the kitchen all the time so I
> know how to treat them but sitting outside in a climate with *any*
> kind of humidity, those puppies are gonna rust oiled or not. Royal PITA.
>
> --
> Steve

Steve Calvin

Rina wrote:

> Question: If you were to replace those grates again, would you use the
> porcelain or go for stainless steel? How long have you been using the
> porcelain?
>
> We're on the 6th year with the cast iron, if you keep them dirty enough they
> won't rust... Laughing
>
> Rina

Damned, NOW you tell me 'bout the grates. ;-) Where are you located
that it's dry enough that those puppies won't rust if left outside?

I've had the porclean ones for 6 years and will replace them next
year. Not really necessary but I'm gonna do it anyhow. As for the
stainless ones, I can't say. I bought the porclean ones shortly after
buying the Weber.

Maybe someone else has had them both and can provide a review.

--
Steve

Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.

Ted Goldblatt

Rina wrote:
> Question: If you were to replace those grates again, would you use the
> porcelain or go for stainless steel? How long have you been using the
> porcelain?
>
> We're on the 6th year with the cast iron, if you keep them dirty enough they
> won't rust... Laughing

I had the cast iron Weber grates and also had severe rust problems, in
spite of several attempts to develop seasoning (it mostly burnt off) and
trying to keep them greased between uses.

After some 4 or 5 years of use, I replaced them yesterday with something
I hadn't seen before for the Weber - porcelain coated cast iron. To be
seen if they perform as well as the raw cast iron (they should hold heat
as well, but maybe there are other issues) and how resilient the coating
will be. FWIW, they came from Home Depot, and had a tag on them saying
they were a HD exclusive...

ted
Steve Calvin

Ted Goldblatt wrote:

> After some 4 or 5 years of use, I replaced them yesterday with something
> I hadn't seen before for the Weber - porcelain coated cast iron. To be
> seen if they perform as well as the raw cast iron (they should hold heat
> as well, but maybe there are other issues) and how resilient the coating
> will be. FWIW, they came from Home Depot, and had a tag on them saying
> they were a HD exclusive...
>
> ted

Those are what I have Ted. They work very well. Plan on at least 6+
years under heavy (and I do mean heavy) use.

--
Steve

Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener.

Wayne

Ted Goldblatt > wrote in
:

> Rina wrote:
>> Question: If you were to replace those grates again, would you use
>> the porcelain or go for stainless steel? How long have you been using
>> the porcelain?
>>
>> We're on the 6th year with the cast iron, if you keep them dirty
>> enough they won't rust... Laughing

> I had the cast iron Weber grates and also had severe rust problems, in
> spite of several attempts to develop seasoning (it mostly burnt off)
> and trying to keep them greased between uses.
>
> After some 4 or 5 years of use, I replaced them yesterday with
> something I hadn't seen before for the Weber - porcelain coated cast
> iron. To be seen if they perform as well as the raw cast iron (they
> should hold heat as well, but maybe there are other issues) and how
> resilient the coating will be. FWIW, they came from Home Depot, and
> had a tag on them saying they were a HD exclusive...
>
> ted

Yep, bought a Weber in NE Ohio from HD. The cast iron grates were
standard, but not porcelain-enameled. I made ever effort to season them
over a month's time, but all I got was rust. Replaced them with SS
grates, which lasted until we gave the grill away when we moved about 5
years later.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:58:25 GMT, "Rina" >
wrote:

>Question: If you were to replace those grates again, would you use the
>porcelain or go for stainless steel? How long have you been using the
>porcelain?
>
>We're on the 6th year with the cast iron, if you keep them dirty enough they
>won't rust... Laughing

Well, Weber now gives a 7-year warranty on the stainless steel (which
is what I bought this year after 12 years with the cast iron; no
experience with the porcelain version) vs. 3 years on the porcelain
ones. To me, a die-hard griller, the decision was a no-brainer.

Plus, you can keep rust at bay by leaving the BBQ crud on them between
grillings, as you noticed, and only scraping it off after preheating
the grill, before cooking on them.
Steve Calvin

Ted Goldblatt wrote:

> A couple of people have mentioned SS cooking grates for Weber. Are
> these the grates that are used on the Genesis Gold grills? Are those
> interchangable with the grates for the Gen 1000-3000 (which is what I
> have and what I'd assume someone who has had the grill for 10+ years
> must have)? In any case, what's a set of SS grates cost? And why
> didn't I find out about these before I sprung for the porcelain cast
> iron ones...
>
> ted

Here's one source for them. $40.00. As to whether they'll fit your grill
the best thing would be just to get out the trusty measuring tape.
http://tinyurl.com/4n4lg

"Length 20.20", Width 14.60", Height 2.00""

2.00" high sounds pretty strange to me but I've never seen them in
person. <shrug>
--
Steve

Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 08:55:32 -0400, Ted Goldblatt
> wrote:

>A couple of people have mentioned SS cooking grates for Weber. Are
>these the grates that are used on the Genesis Gold grills? Are those
>interchangable with the grates for the Gen 1000-3000 (which is what I
>have and what I'd assume someone who has had the grill for 10+ years
>must have)? In any case, what's a set of SS grates cost? And why
>didn't I find out about these before I sprung for the porcelain cast
>iron ones...

To answer your last question first: if you bought your grill at HD,
you would not have gotten all the options you might have received had
you purchased from a local small business that sells Weber Grills.
The small business I purchased my grill had the same price as HD and
far better service, throwing in a *full* tank of propane and a bottle
of BBQ sauce. My grill is a Genesis Silver B, and yes, the Gold
series comes standard with stainless. Look on the Weber site:
http://www.weber.com/bbq/ under Support, Parts and order directly from
them.
Ted Goldblatt

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 08:55:32 -0400, Ted Goldblatt
> > wrote:
>

>>A couple of people have mentioned SS cooking grates for Weber. Are
>>these the grates that are used on the Genesis Gold grills? Are those
>>interchangable with the grates for the Gen 1000-3000 (which is what I
>>have and what I'd assume someone who has had the grill for 10+ years
>>must have)? In any case, what's a set of SS grates cost? And why
>>didn't I find out about these before I sprung for the porcelain cast
>>iron ones...

> To answer your last question first: if you bought your grill at HD,
> you would not have gotten all the options you might have received had
> you purchased from a local small business that sells Weber Grills.
> The small business I purchased my grill had the same price as HD and
> far better service, throwing in a *full* tank of propane and a bottle
> of BBQ sauce. My grill is a Genesis Silver B, and yes, the Gold
> series comes standard with stainless. Look on the Weber site:

http://www.weber.com/bbq/ under Support, Parts and order directly from
> them.

Actually, I originally bought the grill (10+ years ago) from a BBQ
place, not HD. At the time, either nothing was available other than the
steel flavorizer bars and the porcelain steel grates, or they neglected
to mention options to me. Since that time, that BBQ place has gone out
of business, and the remaining local places (that I know of) don't sell
Weber, just "high-end" lines like DCS. Some of them _do_ sell Weber
parts, and in fact I bought a burner tube from one the other day.
However, I couldn't ask them for parts I didn't even realize existed,
and that one only had (on display, anyway) the porcelain steel grates.
I have also bought parts directly from Weber (that's how I got the
original cast iron grates I had and the first set of SS flavorizers),
but they no longer seem to list "upgrades" on their web site, and I
didn't realize until I read these comments yesterday that _any_ Weber
grill had SS grates...

ted

Ted Goldblatt

Rina wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that both Home Depot and Sears carry the Stainless steel
> grates. We just replaced the flavorizer bars with Stainless and I was eyeing
> the grates, that's why I asked about them in the first place. (we might need
> to replace our cast iron ones in the future)

Around here at least, HD does carry the SS flavorizers, but does not
carry the SS cooking grates (as accessories or replacement parts - I
think they do carry the Gen Gold units, so they must sell whole grills
with SS grates).

ted

Jack Sloan

> wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:58:25 GMT, "Rina" >
> wrote:
>
> >Question: If you were to replace those grates again, would you use the
> >porcelain or go for stainless steel? How long have you been using the
> >porcelain?
> >
> >We're on the 6th year with the cast iron, if you keep them dirty enough

they
> >won't rust... Laughing

> Well, Weber now gives a 7-year warranty on the stainless steel (which
> is what I bought this year after 12 years with the cast iron; no
> experience with the porcelain version) vs. 3 years on the porcelain
> ones. To me, a die-hard griller, the decision was a no-brainer.
>
> Plus, you can keep rust at bay by leaving the BBQ crud on them between
> grillings, as you noticed, and only scraping it off after preheating
> the grill, before cooking on them.

I have heavy cast iron grates. I keep them from rusting by scraping them
after cooking while still burning and after shutting off the gas I spray the
grates with pam....4 years and not a hint of rust.
Jack