Steve

Default Electric Roaster lid is rusting

Hello,

I just bought my wife an electric roaster from Home Depot. It is a Betty Crocker
22 qt.

It seems to work fine. The first time she used it the inside of the lid rusted.
It is just a small amount of surface rust near some vent holes. I believe I can
remove the rust and coat the lid with oil but I am afraid the vent hole will
allow the rust to spread and wreak havoc on the external finish.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is this normal?

Does anyone know of a 22 qt or larger Stainless one?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
My real email address is dealsgalore[A-T]earthlink.net

www.cheap-land.com
Vox Humana

"Steve" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I just bought my wife an electric roaster from Home Depot. It is a Betty

Crocker
> 22 qt.
>
> It seems to work fine. The first time she used it the inside of the lid

rusted.
> It is just a small amount of surface rust near some vent holes. I believe

I can
> remove the rust and coat the lid with oil but I am afraid the vent hole

will
> allow the rust to spread and wreak havoc on the external finish.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? Is this normal?
>
> Does anyone know of a 22 qt or larger Stainless one?

Rusting appliances isn't normal or acceptable. I would take it back for a
refund.

Wayne Boatwright

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

> "Steve" > wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just bought my wife an electric roaster from Home Depot. It is a
>> Betty

> Crocker
>> 22 qt.
>>
>> It seems to work fine. The first time she used it the inside of the
>> lid

> rusted.
>> It is just a small amount of surface rust near some vent holes. I
>> believe

> I can
>> remove the rust and coat the lid with oil but I am afraid the vent
>> hole

> will
>> allow the rust to spread and wreak havoc on the external finish.
>>
>> Has anyone else had this problem? Is this normal?
>>
>> Does anyone know of a 22 qt or larger Stainless one?

> Rusting appliances isn't normal or acceptable. I would take it back
> for a refund.

I don't know about the Betty Crocker, but most electric roaster lids are
made of aluminum, not any type of steel. Aluminum doesn't rust.

Wayne
Steve

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 19:31:06 GMT, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:

<<snip>>

>I don't know about the Betty Crocker, but most electric roaster lids are
>made of aluminum, not any type of steel. Aluminum doesn't rust.
>
>Wayne

Hi,

This one is steel. It holds a magnet and rusts. ;-)

We took it back and got another one. We will treat it with oil before using.

If I could find another 22 qt, I'd swap it out for another brand.

Steve
My real email address is dealsgalore[A-T]earthlink.net

www.cheap-land.com
Wayne Boatwright

Steve > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 19:31:06 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
> <<snip>>
>
>>I don't know about the Betty Crocker, but most electric roaster lids
>>are made of aluminum, not any type of steel. Aluminum doesn't rust.
>>
>>Wayne

> Hi,
>
> This one is steel. It holds a magnet and rusts. ;-)
>
> We took it back and got another one. We will treat it with oil before
> using.
>
> If I could find another 22 qt, I'd swap it out for another brand.
>
> Steve
> My real email address is dealsgalore[A-T]earthlink.net
>
> www.cheap-land.com

There are lots of 18 quart roasters out there and most have aluminum
covers. I've never seen a 24 quart roaster. Sorry...

Vox Humana

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in
> :
>

> > "Steve" > wrote in message
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I just bought my wife an electric roaster from Home Depot. It is a
> >> Betty

> > Crocker
> >> 22 qt.
> >>
> >> It seems to work fine. The first time she used it the inside of the
> >> lid

> > rusted.
> >> It is just a small amount of surface rust near some vent holes. I
> >> believe

> > I can
> >> remove the rust and coat the lid with oil but I am afraid the vent
> >> hole

> > will
> >> allow the rust to spread and wreak havoc on the external finish.
> >>
> >> Has anyone else had this problem? Is this normal?
> >>
> >> Does anyone know of a 22 qt or larger Stainless one?

> > Rusting appliances isn't normal or acceptable. I would take it back
> > for a refund.
> >

> I don't know about the Betty Crocker, but most electric roaster lids are
> made of aluminum, not any type of steel. Aluminum doesn't rust.

I just noticed that brand at HD last week. Some roaster come with glass
lids. I'm sure I have seen them at Costco in some form. Many have buffet
inserts available. I recall seeing a nice one at HSN.com at one time, but I
can't find it there now.