Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Bugg Dave Bugg is offline

Default Non-Rusting Metal Scouring Pads

Damaeus wrote:
> My roommate had a metal scouring pad that was looking grungy. It was
> about 30 years old and belonged to his grandmother. That thing was
> indestructible, it didn't rust, and was fantastic. He just kept
> sterilizing it in a boiling pot of water from time to time. Aside
> from its tangled mass of wires, it was perfect. Well, I decided to
> surprise him with a new one, and I threw away the old one. They were
> a couple of Arden Clean scouring pads, and within a week, they were
> starting to rust, they were shredding to pieces, and they're made in
> China. This wouldn't really matter, but I threw away his old
> scouring pad. He didn't say anything to me about it until I brought
> it up, but since I did, he said he was pretty upset about it. Now I
> need to find a scouring pad that won't rust or shred. Any ideas what
> to look for? I got these for a couple of dollars at the grocery
> store, but they suck.

Is this a troll? Perhaps.

Did it occur to you that a 30 year old scouring pad which had belonged to
his grandmother would have sentimental value? Yet you tossed it out anyway.
And, adding insult to injury, you threw it away BEFORE you had located a
suitable replacement.

Commonsense must be an infrequent visitor in your life.

Check a restaurant supply store; it will have scrubbie pads that are far
tougher than the stuff in regular consumer outlets.

--
Dave