Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Non-Rusting Metal Scouring Pads

My roommate had a metal scouring pad that was looking grungy. It was about
30 years old and belonged to his grandmother. That thing was
indestructible, it didn't rust, and was fantastic. He just kept
sterilizing it in a boiling pot of water from time to time. Aside from its
tangled mass of wires, it was perfect. Well, I decided to surprise him
with a new one, and I threw away the old one. They were a couple of Arden
Clean scouring pads, and within a week, they were starting to rust, they
were shredding to pieces, and they're made in China. This wouldn't really
matter, but I threw away his old scouring pad. He didn't say anything to
me about it until I brought it up, but since I did, he said he was pretty
upset about it. Now I need to find a scouring pad that won't rust or
shred. Any ideas what to look for? I got these for a couple of dollars at
the grocery store, but they suck.

Thanks for any pointers,
Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damaeus wrote:
> My roommate had a metal scouring pad that was looking grungy. It was
> about 30 years old and belonged to his grandmother. That thing was
> indestructible, it didn't rust, and was fantastic. He just kept
> sterilizing it in a boiling pot of water from time to time. Aside
> from its tangled mass of wires, it was perfect. Well, I decided to
> surprise him with a new one, and I threw away the old one. They were
> a couple of Arden Clean scouring pads, and within a week, they were
> starting to rust, they were shredding to pieces, and they're made in
> China. This wouldn't really matter, but I threw away his old
> scouring pad. He didn't say anything to me about it until I brought
> it up, but since I did, he said he was pretty upset about it. Now I
> need to find a scouring pad that won't rust or shred. Any ideas what
> to look for? I got these for a couple of dollars at the grocery
> store, but they suck.

Is this a troll? Perhaps.

Did it occur to you that a 30 year old scouring pad which had belonged to
his grandmother would have sentimental value? Yet you tossed it out anyway.
And, adding insult to injury, you threw it away BEFORE you had located a
suitable replacement.

Commonsense must be an infrequent visitor in your life.

Check a restaurant supply store; it will have scrubbie pads that are far
tougher than the stuff in regular consumer outlets.

--
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:56:04 GMT, Damaeus >
wrote:

>My roommate had a metal scouring pad that was looking grungy. It was about
>30 years old and belonged to his grandmother. That thing was
>indestructible, it didn't rust, and was fantastic. He just kept
>sterilizing it in a boiling pot of water from time to time. Aside from its
>tangled mass of wires, it was perfect. Well, I decided to surprise him
>with a new one, and I threw away the old one. They were a couple of Arden
>Clean scouring pads, and within a week, they were starting to rust, they
>were shredding to pieces, and they're made in China. This wouldn't really
>matter, but I threw away his old scouring pad. He didn't say anything to
>me about it until I brought it up, but since I did, he said he was pretty
>upset about it. Now I need to find a scouring pad that won't rust or
>shred. Any ideas what to look for? I got these for a couple of dollars at
>the grocery store, but they suck.
>
>Thanks for any pointers,
>Damaeus

You got steel pads. Get copper ones and they won't rust.

http://www.amazon.com/Chore-Boy-Copp.../dp/B000RO5JC8

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, "Dave Bugg" > posted on Wed,
31 Oct 2007 12:10:06 -0700:

> Did it occur to you that a 30 year old scouring pad which had belonged to
> his grandmother would have sentimental value? Yet you tossed it out anyway.
> And, adding insult to injury, you threw it away BEFORE you had located a
> suitable replacement.

He said it didn't have any sentimental value. It was the fact that it was
a good scouring pad.

> Commonsense must be an infrequent visitor in your life.

-.- Nice judgment from someone who doesn't know me. Don't I even get any
bonus points for caring enough to try to replace it?

> Check a restaurant supply store; it will have scrubbie pads that are far
> tougher than the stuff in regular consumer outlets.

Ah, thanks. There's one near here. I figured you had to have some kind of
restaurant license to buy from them.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damaeus wrote:

> In news:rec.food.cooking, "Dave Bugg" > posted on
> Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:10:06 -0700:

>> Check a restaurant supply store; it will have scrubbie pads that are
>> far tougher than the stuff in regular consumer outlets.

> Ah, thanks. There's one near here. I figured you had to have some
> kind of restaurant license to buy from them.

Heck no. My largest expenditures at restaurant supply stores are for my
commercial operation. But, I purchase all my pots and pans and other home
kitchen stuff there as well.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cshenk" > wrote:
> Naw, they take regular folks too <g>. Look for a thick wired copper one.

Copper scrubbing pads don't rust, but the ones from the grocery
store are thin enough I go through a few per year. I also get a
stainless steel one and they last longer but mostly because I use
them on fewer pans.

> I had an old knife. It wasnt fancy or spectacular in cutting, but it
> belonged to my grandfather. It would get rusty and have to be hand washed.
> My husband didnt know it was special and tossed it out.
>
> I forgave him, but it was 1 of the only 2 things I had of my grandfathers.
> He'd brought it from Germany with him when he moved to the USA.

I had one from my great-grandfather that came across the ocean with
him. I lost it in a move. Argh, a century old hand made knife ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damaeus" > wrote in message

> My roommate had a metal scouring pad that was looking grungy. It was
> about
> 30 years old and belonged to his grandmother. That thing was

Ouch. Family keepsake.

> tangled mass of wires, it was perfect. Well, I decided to surprise him
> with a new one, and I threw away the old one. They were a couple of Arden

Wince... but you know now and 'done is done'.

> upset about it. Now I need to find a scouring pad that won't rust or
> shred. Any ideas what to look for? I got these for a couple of dollars
> at

Copper ones wont rust.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 31, 7:24?pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Damaeus" > wrote in message

> > My roommate had a metal scouring pad that was looking grungy. It was
> > about
> > 30 years old and belonged to his grandmother. That thing was
> > indestructible, it didn't rust, and was fantastic. He just kept
> > sterilizing it in a boiling pot of water from time to time. Aside from
> > its
> > tangled mass of wires, it was perfect. Well, I decided to surprise him
> > with a new one, and I threw away the old one.

> ohhh noooooo.
>
> You are *never* going to find one as good as Granny's.

I don't know his granny but but you could donate a fistful of your
pubes, I bet that wool could scrub the skin off a rhino! <G>

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damaeus" > wrote

> In news:rec.food.cooking, "Dave Bugg" > posted on Wed,
> 31 Oct 2007 12:10:06 -0700:
>
>> Did it occur to you that a 30 year old scouring pad which had belonged to
>> his grandmother would have sentimental value? Yet you tossed it out
>> anyway.
>> And, adding insult to injury, you threw it away BEFORE you had located a
>> suitable replacement.

> He said it didn't have any sentimental value. It was the fact that it was
> a good scouring pad.

Well, if you aren't a troll, I hope you learned a lesson about
throwing away other people's belongings. It wasn't yours to toss.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damaeus" > wrote in message
> My roommate had a metal scouring pad that was looking grungy. It was
> about
> 30 years old and belonged to his grandmother. That thing was
> indestructible, it didn't rust, and was fantastic. He just kept
> sterilizing it in a boiling pot of water from time to time. Aside from
> its
> tangled mass of wires, it was perfect. Well, I decided to surprise him
> with a new one, and I threw away the old one.

ohhh noooooo.

You are *never* going to find one as good as Granny's.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Damaeus wrote:
>> My roommate had a metal scouring pad that was looking grungy. It was
>> about 30 years old and belonged to his grandmother. That thing was
>> indestructible, it didn't rust, and was fantastic. He just kept
>> sterilizing it in a boiling pot of water from time to time. Aside
>> from its tangled mass of wires, it was perfect. Well, I decided to
>> surprise him with a new one, and I threw away the old one. They were
>> a couple of Arden Clean scouring pads, and within a week, they were
>> starting to rust, they were shredding to pieces, and they're made in
>> China. This wouldn't really matter, but I threw away his old
>> scouring pad. He didn't say anything to me about it until I brought
>> it up, but since I did, he said he was pretty upset about it. Now I
>> need to find a scouring pad that won't rust or shred. Any ideas what
>> to look for? I got these for a couple of dollars at the grocery
>> store, but they suck.

Look in a hardware store fr a stainless steel scrubber.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 31, 2:58 pm, z > wrote:

> I would suggest using a killfile and just ignoring cybercat if you don't
> like her but that takes at least some intelligence - more than a single
> celled bacteria would have which we know you lack even that amount of.
> That goes for GM as well. The more you post the more everyone else except
> GM knows how dumb you really are.

And you hide behind a name made up for just this post -- why? -
aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Oct 31, 2:58 pm, z > wrote:
>
>> I would suggest using a killfile and just ignoring cybercat if you don't
>> like her but that takes at least some intelligence - more than a single
>> celled bacteria would have which we know you lack even that amount of.
>> That goes for GM as well. The more you post the more everyone else except
>> GM knows how dumb you really are.
>>

> And you hide behind a name made up for just this post -- why? -
> aem

I'm not sure, but it't likely in the same family as why you call a recipe
for chili that differs from yours "trolling."

Asshole.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, "Nancy Young" > posted on Wed,
31 Oct 2007 18:32:16 -0400:

> Well, if you aren't a troll, I hope you learned a lesson about
> throwing away other people's belongings. It wasn't yours to toss.

LOL I referred to him as my roommate, but we've been best friends for 18
years, too. When I say he was upset, he wasn't ranting and throwing a fit,
but he'd rather I hadn't thrown it away. And I am working to replace it.
If I didn't care, I wouldn't be doing that.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, "Nancy Young" > posted on Wed,
31 Oct 2007 18:32:16 -0400:

> Well, if you aren't a troll, I hope you learned a lesson about
> throwing away other people's belongings. It wasn't yours to toss.

Oh, and besides that, that other damned scouring pad I threw away did lots
of damage to my professional-grade pizza pan. He wouldn't put parchment
paper down on the pan, or spray it with food release, even for a 99-cent
Totino's frozen pizza. So a little bit of the cheese would run off and
stick to the pan and get down in the holes. He'd grind it away with that
stupid scouring pad and scratch the finish off of it. Plus he'd use a
pizza cutter (the wheel kind) and drive it across the pan, putting all
kinds of scratches on it.

Just in the last few days I've ordered a high quality cutting board made
for cutting pizza, as well as a rocker knife. Including shipping, that's
just over $100, including ground shipping, for one cutting board like the
pizza restaurants use, and a rocker knife, to prevent further damage to my
pans.

Sure, my first concern was his scouring pad, now that I think of it, I'm
sort of glad it's gone. Maybe I could buy another pizza pan and I won't
have to worry about it being scratched to kingdom come when we have 5 rolls
of parchment paper just waiting to be used. But no. I'm still going to
replace the scouring pad, and hope that he will make use of at least the
cutting board that's coming since it's made to deal with the cutting of
both wheel cutters and rocker knives.

Speaking of abuse of cookware, today he was cooking ground beef in my
stainless steel saute pan. He didn't realize there was paper underneath
the hamburger meat, so after the ground beef was cooked, he took the
smoking hot pan and ran it under the cold water to try to get the paper
off. I winced when I saw this. He did it so fast that I didn't have time
to stop him. I haven't checked to see if the pan is warped now. I'll wait
until one day when I feel like going shopping for pots and pans, and I'll
try to put myself in that mood before I decide to use the pan again. It
didn't sizzle all that much, so maybe the pan wasn't warped. I think it
has to be pretty much overheated for cold water to really warp it badly,
though on one of those glass-top stoves, just a slight warp can be
problematic.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>My roommate had a metal scouring pad that was looking grungy. It was about
>30 years old and belonged to his grandmother. That thing was
>indestructible, it didn't rust, and was fantastic. He just kept
>sterilizing it in a boiling pot of water from time to time. Aside from its
>tangled mass of wires, it was perfect. Well, I decided to surprise him
>with a new one, and I threw away the old one. They were a couple of Arden
>Clean scouring pads, and within a week, they were starting to rust, they
>were shredding to pieces, and they're made in China. This wouldn't really
>matter, but I threw away his old scouring pad. He didn't say anything to
>me about it until I brought it up, but since I did, he said he was pretty
>upset about it. Now I need to find a scouring pad that won't rust or
>shred. Any ideas what to look for? I got these for a couple of dollars at
>the grocery store, but they suck.
>
>Thanks for any pointers,
>Damaeus

Try the Fuller Brush stainless ones.
http://www.fullerdirect.com/products...ubcat=5&id=489

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damaeus" > wrote

> In news:rec.food.cooking, "Nancy Young" > posted on
> Wed,
> 31 Oct 2007 18:32:16 -0400:
>
>> Well, if you aren't a troll, I hope you learned a lesson about
>> throwing away other people's belongings. It wasn't yours to toss.

> LOL I referred to him as my roommate, but we've been best friends for 18
> years, too. When I say he was upset, he wasn't ranting and throwing a
> fit,
> but he'd rather I hadn't thrown it away. And I am working to replace it.
> If I didn't care, I wouldn't be doing that.

Hey, I've been married (great, now I have to count again) 24 years.
He tried to throw out something of mine that's in the garage because
I don't need it anymore! Uh, throw out your own shit. (laugh) No,
you don't throw out (or otherwise ruin) other people's stuff. So cut
it out!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cyberANUS" wrote:
> "aem" wrote:
>
> oups.com...
>
> > zero > wrote:

> >> I would suggest using a killfile and just ignoring cyberANUS.

> > And you hide behind a name made up for just this post -- why? -
> > aem

> I'm not sure.
>
> Asshole.

Hmm, cybersphincter adopted a new and more appropriate sig.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 31, 10:46 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "aem" > wrote in message
>
> > And you hide behind a name made up for just this post -- why? -
> > aem

> I'm not sure, but it't likely in the same family as why you call a recipe
> for chili that differs from yours "trolling."
>
> Asshole.

You really don't get it, do you? Let me spell it out for you. Chili
is a topic that has engendered many long, passionate threads here.
Everyone agrees that there are many ways to make it; factions strongly
disagree about what belongs in it and what does not. Some of these
diiscussions have gone on at great length. As a loud topic, chili is
up there with seasoning cast iron, how much to tip, and bad behavior
of other people's kids.

Now you come along and post a simple, probably quite tasty ground
beef dish that you call chili but that contains no chiles. I
anticipated the likely possibility that chili aficionados could likely
rise in indignation. Not that it didn't taste good, but that you
would have the effrontery, in their view, to call it "chili." My
calling it a troll was the same as saying, hey, this could be
entertaining, guess I'll pull up a chair and watch the fur fly. I
didn't criticize your recipe or your cooking or your taste; I was
saying you were going to get some reactions. Which you did. Why you
are so huffed up about it I don't know, or care. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damaeus wrote:

> Oh, and besides that, that other damned scouring pad I threw away did lots
> of damage to my professional-grade pizza pan. He wouldn't put parchment
> paper down on the pan, or spray it with food release, even for a 99-cent
> Totino's frozen pizza. So a little bit of the cheese would run off and
> stick to the pan and get down in the holes. He'd grind it away with that
> stupid scouring pad and scratch the finish off of it. Plus he'd use a
> pizza cutter (the wheel kind) and drive it across the pan, putting all
> kinds of scratches on it.
>
> Just in the last few days I've ordered a high quality cutting board made
> for cutting pizza, as well as a rocker knife. Including shipping, that's
> just over $100, including ground shipping, for one cutting board like the
> pizza restaurants use, and a rocker knife, to prevent further damage to my
> pans.
>
> Sure, my first concern was his scouring pad, now that I think of it, I'm
> sort of glad it's gone. Maybe I could buy another pizza pan and I won't
> have to worry about it being scratched to kingdom come when we have 5 rolls
> of parchment paper just waiting to be used. But no. I'm still going to
> replace the scouring pad, and hope that he will make use of at least the
> cutting board that's coming since it's made to deal with the cutting of
> both wheel cutters and rocker knives.
>
> Speaking of abuse of cookware, today he was cooking ground beef in my
> stainless steel saute pan. He didn't realize there was paper underneath
> the hamburger meat, so after the ground beef was cooked, he took the
> smoking hot pan and ran it under the cold water to try to get the paper
> off. I winced when I saw this. He did it so fast that I didn't have time
> to stop him. I haven't checked to see if the pan is warped now. I'll wait
> until one day when I feel like going shopping for pots and pans, and I'll
> try to put myself in that mood before I decide to use the pan again. It
> didn't sizzle all that much, so maybe the pan wasn't warped. I think it
> has to be pretty much overheated for cold water to really warp it badly,
> though on one of those glass-top stoves, just a slight warp can be
> problematic.
>
> Dame Troll

Serves a Dame right spreading her cheeks for a prick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cshenk" > wrote in message
> Naw, they take regular folks too <g>. Look for a thick wired copper one.
> Glad to see it wasnt a keepsake and just 'useful' so you can replace it
> with no hard feelings.
>
> I had an old knife. It wasnt fancy or spectacular in cutting, but it
> belonged to my grandfather. It would get rusty and have to be hand
> washed. My husband didnt know it was special and tossed it out.
>
> I forgave him, but it was 1 of the only 2 things I had of my grandfathers.
> He'd brought it from Germany with him when he moved to the USA.

I once did the same thing with a scouring pad. I bought it at some military
commissary. The thing worked like a dream but it was getting worn out
looking. Since then, all of the pads I've bought have seemed cheap in
comparison. They don't necessarily rust, but they fall right apart and they
don't scour well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damaeus" wrote in message

> Oh, and besides that, that other damned scouring pad I threw away did lots
> of damage to my professional-grade pizza pan. He wouldn't put parchment
> paper down on the pan, or spray it with food release, even for a 99-cent
> Totino's frozen pizza. So a little bit of the cheese would run off and
> stick to the pan and get down in the holes. He'd grind it away with that
> stupid scouring pad and scratch the finish off of it. Plus he'd use a
> pizza cutter (the wheel kind) and drive it across the pan, putting all
> kinds of scratches on it.

LOL! Well, I dont have much 'fancy-ware' other than my 3 cast iron skillets
and my husband knows how to handle those. The rare time we have to really
'scrub them', he's as good as i at re-curing right away.

> try to put myself in that mood before I decide to use the pan again. It
> didn't sizzle all that much, so maybe the pan wasn't warped. I think it
> has to be pretty much overheated for cold water to really warp it badly,
> though on one of those glass-top stoves, just a slight warp can be
> problematic.

Ohh, we actually got turned off on one house when we were looking for the
one we bought. Later we realized it was silly, but one that was pretty nice
we turned down because it had those glass-top stove elements. They may
'look neat' but they just arent as useful as my normal gas range.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 22:58:22 GMT, z > wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:31:26 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> I don't know his granny but but you could donate a fistful of your
>> pubes, I bet that wool could scrub the skin off a rhino! <G>
>>
>> Sheldon

>At least she has some as well as having sexual organs. As opposed to a
>castrated eunuch like yourself. You and faggory morrow should get
>together if you haven't allready which would surprise me in the least.
>
>I would suggest using a killfile and just ignoring cybercat if you don't
>like her but that takes at least some intelligence - more than a single
>celled bacteria would have which we know you lack even that amount of.
>That goes for GM as well. The more you post the more everyone else except
>GM knows how dumb you really are.

for a dried-up old man and a queen they seem to have an unhealthy
fascination with cybercat's pubes.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 1, 7:08?pm, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 22:58:22 GMT, z > wrote:
> >On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:31:26 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

> >> I don't know his granny but but you could donate a fistful of your
> >> pubes, I bet that wool could scrub the skin off a rhino! <G>

> >> Sheldon

> >At least she has some as well as having sexual organs. As opposed to a
> >castrated eunuch like yourself. You and faggory morrow should get
> >together if you haven't allready which would surprise me in the least.

> >I would suggest using a killfile and just ignoring cybercat if you don't
> >like her but that takes at least some intelligence - more than a single
> >celled bacteria would have which we know you lack even that amount of.
> >That goes for GM as well. The more you post the more everyone else except
> >GM knows how dumb you really are.

> for a dried-up old man and a queen they seem to have an unhealthy
> fascination with cybercat's pubes.

You're just ****ed that she won't sit on your ugli face... the
emaciated Mick looks like a lab rat wearing a transvestite wig... and
you really need that **** on your face, anything she scrubs off with
her titanium pubes can only be an improvement.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, "Cshenk" > posted on Thu, 1
Nov 2007 14:22:10 -0700:

> Ohh, we actually got turned off on one house when we were looking for the
> one we bought. Later we realized it was silly, but one that was pretty nice
> we turned down because it had those glass-top stove elements. They may
> 'look neat' but they just arent as useful as my normal gas range.

This house isn't geared for a gas stove, only electric. But when my ship
comes in, I plan to build a house with both a gas and glass-top stove. I
like an electric stove for long hours of simmering a soup or tomato sauce,
making gravies, or for heating oil for deep-frying. I like a gas stove for
saute, hard-boiling eggs, etc... and other cooking which require more
immediacy in heat source adjustments.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, The Cook > posted on Thu,
01 Nov 2007 07:07:26 -0500:

> Try the Fuller Brush stainless ones.
> http://www.fullerdirect.com/products...ubcat=5&id=489

Hmmm.. I can't do anything on that site without a login ID and there
appears to be no way to register for one. ; ;

Cooking pads Quinch General Cooking 184 16-08-2013 10:50 AM
Vinamat filter pads Pleurotus Ostreatus Winemaking 2 26-11-2005 08:44 PM
how do I stop my grill from rusting? [email protected] Cooking Equipment 9 30-08-2004 07:21 PM
how do I stop my grill from rusting? Sailors Cooking Equipment 12 30-08-2004 07:21 PM
Electric Roaster lid is rusting Steve Cooking Equipment 5 03-11-2003 04:00 PM