Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2007-08-09) New survey on the RFC site: Making 'French fried' potatoes(a.k.a. chips) at home

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Vote now! (or not)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy said...

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now! (or not)

Dagnabbit!!! I was voter #2.

****es me off, dammit!!! I'm gonna go shoot something! Dinner, maybe!

--
Andy
Three Stooges in One
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 9, 7:35?am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now! (or not)

I always use my crinkle/ripple cut knife... I guess that doesn't truly
qualify as a freedom fry cutter.

Sheldon
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> On Aug 9, 7:35?am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now! (or not)

> I always use my crinkle/ripple cut knife... I guess that doesn't truly
> qualify as a freedom fry cutter.
>
> Sheldon
> ^^^^^^^^^^

<chuckle>

I wondered when somebody was gonna mention the 'freedom fries' thing.

If I cut up fries myself, I prefer to use a knife - those "cutter"
things often make little "slivers" of spud from the "edges" of the
spuds, which annoys me intensely. I either have to chuck the slivers, or
if I do fry them, I have to watch them like a hawk - and fish them out
fast, because they always 'burn' before the rest are done.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy said...

> Sheldon wrote:
>> On Aug 9, 7:35?am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>>
>>> Vote now! (or not)

>> I always use my crinkle/ripple cut knife... I guess that doesn't truly
>> qualify as a freedom fry cutter.
>>
>> Sheldon
>> ^^^^^^^^^^
>>

> <chuckle>
>
> I wondered when somebody was gonna mention the 'freedom fries' thing.
>
> If I cut up fries myself, I prefer to use a knife - those "cutter"
> things often make little "slivers" of spud from the "edges" of the
> spuds, which annoys me intensely. I either have to chuck the slivers, or
> if I do fry them, I have to watch them like a hawk - and fish them out
> fast, because they always 'burn' before the rest are done.

Freedom Fries = Fat Food Patriotism! What a joke that was.

I bought that cheap-o "made for TV" mandolin. Made kewl waffle cut potatoes.
Swipe once, rotate 90, swipe again, repeat.

Lemme tell ya, waffle cut potatoes sucked! Looked great on TV with a paid
cheery audience "ooh and ahh-ing" etc. D'Oh.

--
Andy
Three Stooges in One

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 13:35:49 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

I never make anything deep-fried for myself... it's too dangerous for
my tastes, and it tastes better if you buy it. Deep-fried stuff is a
rare treat for eating out...

I do make oven-baked potato wedges though. Yum!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 13:35:49 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> I never make anything deep-fried for myself... it's too dangerous for
> my tastes, and it tastes better if you buy it. Deep-fried stuff is a
> rare treat for eating out...

Looks like several other people (so far) don't make fries at home either

> I do make oven-baked potato wedges though. Yum!

Yes! Those are great too - leave the skins on, of course

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen wrote on Thu, 09 Aug 2007 10:10:08 -0400:

??>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
KAK> I do make oven-baked potato wedges though. Yum!
KAK> I never make anything deep-fried for myself... it's too
KAK> dangerous for my tastes, and it tastes better if you buy
KAK> it. Deep-fried stuff is a rare treat for eating out...

A variant on oven-baked fries might interest you. It was
discovered by accident tho' I am sure we were re-inventing the
wheel. Peeled baking potatoes are used cut into 1/8 inch slices.
Cook at 375F for 20 minutes and then raise the temperature to
425F. The slices puff up beautifully. The use of baking potatoes
was one of the accidents: forgot to turn on the oven!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-----------www.cntradecity.com-----------
hello:
we supply the following products:
1). Famous brand sport shoes series:NIKE jordan1-22/AF1/Air max/Air
shox
2).jerseys/hoodies/t-shirts/shirts/jean...
3). Famous brand handbag,cap,sunglasses,belt,wallet,sock...
We hope to have the opportunity to work together with you in the
future.
MSN:
E-mail:

Website:
www.cntradecity.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> > On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 13:35:49 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> > I never make anything deep-fried for myself... it's too dangerous for
> > my tastes, and it tastes better if you buy it. Deep-fried stuff is a
> > rare treat for eating out...

> Looks like several other people (so far) don't make fries at home either
> >
> > I do make oven-baked potato wedges though. Yum!

> Yes! Those are great too - leave the skins on, of course
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy
>
> Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

I don't make fries/chips at home often, it's usually limited to when I'm
making fish and chips and want perfection. I try to avoid fries/chips
when eating out too.

Pete C.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 13:35:49 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

LOL! I couldn't rest until I bought a FF cutter and used it exactly
once. Went back to hand cutting and the thing is still resting in a
cupboard somewhere. So, I own one but cut them by hand.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
>> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 13:35:49 +0200, ChattyCathy
>> > wrote:
>>

> Looks like several other people (so far) don't make fries at home
> either
>>
>> I do make oven-baked potato wedges though. Yum!

> Yes! Those are great too - leave the skins on, of course

This just flung a craving on me. Maybe I'll do that for lunch! Yum......

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in
:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
>>> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 13:35:49 +0200, ChattyCathy
>>>

>> Looks like several other people (so far) don't make fries at home
>> either
>>>
>>> I do make oven-baked potato wedges though. Yum!

>> Yes! Those are great too - leave the skins on, of course

> This just flung a craving on me. Maybe I'll do that for lunch!
> Yum......
>
> kili

I had roast potatos.... with the obligatory roast chicken, for dinner :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
-- George Orwell
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > ChattyCathy wrote:
> >>http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> >> Vote now! (or not)

> > I always use my crinkle/ripple cut knife... I guess that doesn't truly
> > qualify as a freedom fry cutter.

> > Sheldon
> > ^^^^^^^^^^

> <chuckle>
>
> I wondered when somebody was gonna mention the 'freedom fries' thing.
>
> If I cut up fries myself, I prefer to use a knife - those "cutter"
> things often make little "slivers" of spud from the "edges" of the
> spuds, which annoys me intensely. I either have to chuck the slivers, or
> if I do fry them, I have to watch them like a hawk - and fish them out
> fast, because they always 'burn' before the rest are done.

I cut frys with a knife similar to this: http://tinyurl.com/2qtsuj

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCALLOPING-KNIFE...QQcmdZViewItem

Mine is much older, with a blue painted wooden handle, stainless
steel, and a bit larger... I use it for slicing carrots too.

I like my fries cut in chunks (I get like 8-10 fries from a large
spud), the ripple cut increases the surface area, makes for a tastier
crispier fry. I abohr fast food style fries, those skinny minis are
actually potato sticks, all you taste is grease and salt, no potato
flavor whatsoever.

This one is mine:
http://i18.tinypic.com/54afx8g.jpg

Also my favorite carbon steel knife, and my safety grater is wonderful
for knuckle-free potato pancakes:
http://i14.tinypic.com/6bsvoyv.jpg

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > ChattyCathy wrote:
> >>http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> >> Vote now! (or not)

> > I always use my crinkle/ripple cut knife... I guess that doesn't truly
> > qualify as a freedom fry cutter.

> > Sheldon
> > ^^^^^^^^^^

> <chuckle>
>
> I wondered when somebody was gonna mention the 'freedom fries' thing.
>
> If I cut up fries myself, I prefer to use a knife - those "cutter"
> things often make little "slivers" of spud from the "edges" of the
> spuds, which annoys me intensely. I either have to chuck the slivers, or
> if I do fry them, I have to watch them like a hawk - and fish them out
> fast, because they always 'burn' before the rest are done.

I cut frys with a knife similar to this: http://tinyurl.com/2qtsuj

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCALLOPING-KNIFE...QQcmdZViewItem

Mine is much older, with a blue painted wooden handle, stainless
steel, and a bit larger... I use it for slicing carrots too.

I like my fries cut in chunks (I get like 8-10 fries from a large
spud), the ripple cut increases the surface area, makes for a tastier
crispier fry. I abohr fast food style fries, those skinny minis are
actually potato sticks, all you taste is grease and salt, no potato
flavor whatsoever.

This one is mine:
http://i18.tinypic.com/54afx8g.jpg

Also my favorite carbon steel knife, and my safety grater is wonderful
for knuckle-free potato pancakes:
http://i14.tinypic.com/6bsvoyv.jpg

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 13:35:49 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
> >http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> >

> LOL! I couldn't rest until I bought a FF cutter and used it exactly
> once. Went back to hand cutting and the thing is still resting in a
> cupboard somewhere. So, I own one but cut them by hand.
>
> --
>
> A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.

I've never tried one of the consumer fry cutters. I have used a
commercial one (also capable of doing diced) and it worked very well.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 13:35:49 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>

> LOL! I couldn't rest until I bought a FF cutter and used it exactly
> once. Went back to hand cutting and the thing is still resting in a
> cupboard somewhere. So, I own one but cut them by hand.

I hear ya! DH bought ours - he uses it sometimes when he is on "cutting
duty" but I hardly ever use it myself, I'll stick to a knife.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now! (or not)

None of the answers quite fit. I chose "I always buy 'pre-cut' . . ."
That's 90% correct. But I do make my own on occasion. I have a
cutter but only used it once about 20 years ago. It doesn't work
that well, so I prefer to cut them with a knife.

As for how I cook them - I chose "I have to use a pot . . ."
Actually I don't *have* to use a pot, I prefer to use a pot.
I've never had any interest in owning a deep fryer. I have a
special, cheap pot dedicated to deep-frying. It's nice and
deep and not too wide.

I don't make french fries often - frozen or homemade - because
I hate cleaning up afterwards. There's always grease everywhere,
not matter how neat you are. And another factor is the cost of
the oil. Good oil is expensive. Cheap oil leaves a nasty taste
in things. Usually what I do is about once a year go on a fried
food binge. I love fried shrimp so if/when I can find good frozen
shrimp at a good price I get as much as I can. Get the fries also.
Then I have an orgy of fried shrimp and french fries for a week or
so.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> I cut frys with a knife similar to this: http://tinyurl.com/2qtsuj

> Mine is much older, with a blue painted wooden handle, stainless
> steel, and a bit larger... I use it for slicing carrots too.
>
> I like my fries cut in chunks (I get like 8-10 fries from a large
> spud), the ripple cut increases the surface area, makes for a tastier
> crispier fry. I abohr fast food style fries, those skinny minis are
> actually potato sticks, all you taste is grease and salt, no potato
> flavor whatsoever.
>
> This one is mine:
> http://i18.tinypic.com/54afx8g.jpg
>
> Also my favorite carbon steel knife, and my safety grater is wonderful
> for knuckle-free potato pancakes:
> http://i14.tinypic.com/6bsvoyv.jpg

I see. That's for making those "crinkle fries". I was thinking more in
the line of those 'long' fries)
We have one very similar to this.

http://tinyurl.com/2oyqxh

or

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-In.../dp/B00004RDFH

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> I bought that cheap-o "made for TV" mandolin. Made kewl waffle cut
> potatoes.
> Swipe once, rotate 90, swipe again, repeat.
>
> Lemme tell ya, waffle cut potatoes sucked! Looked great on TV with a paid
> cheery audience "ooh and ahh-ing" etc. D'Oh.

I love waffle fries. Wish I saw them around more often.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

If I am in the mood for fries, I will nuke two potatoes in the microwave
for 4-5 minutes, slice them at 1/2 inch thick, then fry them in hot oil
for 2-3 minutes. They get nice and crispy on the outside, with a lot of
potato on the inside.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:

> None of the answers quite fit. I chose "I always buy 'pre-cut' . . ."
> That's 90% correct. But I do make my own on occasion. I have a
> cutter but only used it once about 20 years ago. It doesn't work
> that well, so I prefer to cut them with a knife.

I never buy pre-cut - they don't appeal to me, but I know people that do.

> As for how I cook them - I chose "I have to use a pot . . ."
> Actually I don't *have* to use a pot, I prefer to use a pot.
> I've never had any interest in owning a deep fryer. I have a
> special, cheap pot dedicated to deep-frying. It's nice and
> deep and not too wide.

I don't own a deep fryer either - we don't do enough deep frying to
warrant it. And I also hate the "mess" it makes in the kitchen, using a
pot. We keep an old pot that we use outside on the veranda - and heat it
up with the gas burner. Any grease that ends up on the floor (or
whatever) that can't be cleaned easily gets carried away by the ants...
They seem to love "grease"

> I don't make french fries often - frozen or homemade - because
> I hate cleaning up afterwards. There's always grease everywhere,
> not matter how neat you are. And another factor is the cost of
> the oil. Good oil is expensive. Cheap oil leaves a nasty taste
> in things. Usually what I do is about once a year go on a fried
> food binge. I love fried shrimp so if/when I can find good frozen
> shrimp at a good price I get as much as I can. Get the fries also.
> Then I have an orgy of fried shrimp and french fries for a week or
> so.

We get very reasonably priced sunflower oil here (many brands). If it
needs to be "chucked" after use, so be it. I may be frugal with many
things, but food stuffs is not one of them - I would rather do without
something else.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy said...

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> Vote now! (or not)

Cathy,

I noticed a change in the results page. The chart background is a grey
shade with new bar graph colors. And a little layout rearrangement.

I like it! Not the 3D charts I've been hoping for but the new charts do
stand out better!

Thanks,

--
Andy
Three Stooges in One
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> ChattyCathy said...
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now! (or not)

> Cathy,

This question "I prefer to cut them up with a knife, never bothered to buy a
cutter."
doesn't quite fit for me, but it is the closest.

I did bother to buy a cutter, but discarded it; I prefer to cut them up with
a knife.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> ChattyCathy said...
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> Vote now! (or not)

> Cathy,
>
> I noticed a change in the results page. The chart background is a grey
> shade with new bar graph colors. And a little layout rearrangement.
>
> I like it! Not the 3D charts I've been hoping for but the new charts do
> stand out better!
>
> Thanks,

LOL! The grey background has been there since day-one and I changed the
colors weeks ago.
But I am glad you like it

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy said...

> Andy wrote:
>> ChattyCathy said...
>>
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>>
>>> Vote now! (or not)

>> Cathy,
>>
>> I noticed a change in the results page. The chart background is a grey
>> shade with new bar graph colors. And a little layout rearrangement.
>>
>> I like it! Not the 3D charts I've been hoping for but the new charts do
>> stand out better!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> LOL! The grey background has been there since day-one and I changed the
> colors weeks ago.
> But I am glad you like it

Hmmm... something in my browser must've just switched on OR off. Great.

--
Andy
Three Stooges in One
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 13:35:49 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
> I do make oven-baked potato wedges though. Yum!

Ah yes... buy baking potatoes and cut them into "quarter fries". Then rub
them with olive oil and sprinkle them with your choice of herbs, spices,
definitely salt. Roast them at 425F until crispy outside and nice and moist
inside. YUM!

Jill