Old 08-06-2007, 08:56 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Default Water purifier pitchers ??

Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier pitchers.
The pitchers with the filters in them?

I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the store,
and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.

Comments?

Thx!

Old 08-06-2007, 09:25 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Zippy P" wrote in message
t...
Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier pitchers.
The pitchers with the filters in them?

I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the
store,
and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.

Comments?

Thx!

We had a Brita pitcher that we used a few years ago. From what I remember
of the 'taste' of the resulting water, it's just as good as the Culligan
water that we now have.

The only issues I can think of would be, make sure that there is room in
your fridge for the pitcher (we could barely squeeze ours in). When filling
it, I would fill it at night before going to bed. They take a while to fill
up. I would also go with a more established brand (like Brita) so there's
less of a chance of the filters being taken off the market any time soon.

-Glasswalker-

Old 08-06-2007, 09:27 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Jun 8, 3:56 pm, "Zippy P" wrote:
Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier pitchers.
The pitchers with the filters in them?

I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the store,
and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.

Comments?

Thx!

My water from the tap is undrinkable, but tastes fine poured from a
brita pitcher; however, it is soft water to begin with, so YMMV...

...fred

Old 08-06-2007, 09:28 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Zippy P" wrote in message
t...
Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier pitchers.
The pitchers with the filters in them?

I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the
store,
and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.

Comments?

Thx!

What is the source of the water that comes out of your tap at home? Is it
from your own well, or a municipal water authority? If it's from a water
authority, what is the exact name of that water authority?

This information will assist others in answering one of your questions.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:58 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Zippy P wrote:
Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier
pitchers. The pitchers with the filters in them?

I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the
store, and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.

Comments?

Thx!

The tap water where I live comes from natural acquifers deep underground and
it tastes great. I get an annual report about the water. At one point I
bought a Brita pitcher because it was all the rage to do so. Later I
wondered why on earth I would want to filter it when it already tastes good.
The Brita filter made the water tasteless. To me, there should at least be
some trace minerals.

When the vet suggested my elderly dog avoid sodium and said some of it may
be from the drinking water I called the utility company. After being
transferred a few times I talked with a (forget his complex degrees)
technician and told our water contains very little sodium. He quoted some
statistics which I wrote down and he sent me information about it in the
mail. Then I called the vet and relayed the information and he was very
happy to know about it.

I don't buy bottled water. Even when I travel, the Memphis airport still
has regular drinking fountains. Oh, I could choose to pay $3 for a bottle
of some water from someplace I've never been. One airport, they only sold
bottled water. I kept the bottle and fill it from my tap before I travel.

Unless your tap water tastes like crap or has been proven to be undrinkable,
why bother? Contact the utility company that provides your tap water and
ask them to send you information. If you truly just don't like the taste of
the water, go ahead and buy the bottled stuff or get a filter pitcher. I
don't find I need either one.

Jill ---drinks tap water all day long

Old 08-06-2007, 10:00 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Jun 8, 1:58 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Zippy P wrote:
[...]

Tasteless water? Hmmmm......

Old 08-06-2007, 10:01 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Zippy P wrote:

Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier pitchers.
The pitchers with the filters in them?

I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the store,
and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.

Comments?

Thx!

The filters like Britta / Pur do a decent job, but operational costs
seems to be more than the under sink / whole house filters with charcoal
elements which have similar performance.

If you want really pure water the under counter reverse osmosis units
work well and operational costs aren't too bad though the cost is both
filters and reject water. I hate city water and when I had a house with
city water I used an RO unit and was very happy with the resulting
water. The ~$150 or so RO setups from Depot/Lowe's, etc. are all fine.

Pete C.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:15 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Jun 8, 4:58 pm, Steve Wertz wrote:
On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 20:25:52 GMT, Glasswalker wrote:
When filling it, I would fill it at night before going to bed.
They take a while to fill up.

I don't understand why it should be done at night. It takes 20-30
seconds to fill from the kitchen faucet, about... 3 quarts maybe?

The water then needs to drip through the filter, and fill up the
purified reserve, which takes a far longer amount of time.

Dean G.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:32 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Zippy P wrote:
Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier
pitchers. The pitchers with the filters in them?

I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the
store, and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.

Comments?

Thx!

We have a Brita filter attached to our kitchen faucet. You flick the switch
on the filter depending upon whether or not you want tap or filtered water.
*Big* difference in taste and odor between filtered and non-filtered. It's
really amazing how much the filter helps.

kili

Old 08-06-2007, 10:34 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
Zippy P wrote:

[...]

We've got one of those units that you're talking about, Pete, but to install
it, we need to put in a new sink - that's not going to happen, so it sits in
the back closet and every 4 months we spend the $$ for a new Brita filter.
Sigh.

kili

Old 08-06-2007, 10:38 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 20:25:52 GMT, Glasswalker wrote:

When filling it, I would fill it at night before going to bed.
They take a while to fill up.

I don't understand why it should be done at night. It takes 20-30
seconds to fill from the kitchen faucet, about... 3 quarts maybe?

-sw

My Brita jug takes about 3 minutes for the water to drip to the bottom. Two
weeks later, it takes maybe 5 minutes. A month later, maybe 6 minutes. Maybe
some people think the need for filter replacement is a scam by Brita to
"make obscene profits", so they use the same filter forever. Then, it might
take longer for the water to drip through.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:10 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Jun 8, 4:27 pm, kuvasz guy wrote:
On Jun 8, 3:56 pm, "Zippy P" wrote:

Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier pitchers.
The pitchers with the filters in them?

I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the store,
and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.

Comments?

Thx!

My water from the tap is undrinkable, but tastes fine poured from a
brita pitcher; however, it is soft water to begin with, so YMMV...

..fred

If water is hard, then you have to use more salt. Then you will have
a lot of salt coming through your filter. Our water is too hard for a
Brita. We use reverse osmosis because of that; and also because our
water is from a well.

We used to have a heavy water distiller, but alas stopped moving it
from place to place. I'm sorry now, because I'm thinking of buying a
new one, and DH doesn't want one when he can buy distilled water.
However, I find that even distilled water has some odor eminating from
bottles either from the plastic or a combination of plastic and
cholorine that they've used for some reason. Not too happy buying
distilled water, either, but I use it in my electric tea-pot.
Dee Dee

Old 08-06-2007, 11:41 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

It's from the municipal water people. I don't really see the need in giving
the exact name.

I don't want to install stuff since I rent. I'm just interested in the
pitchers. The tap water is ok here, but I'm worried that since the apt
building is old, there might be stuff leeching from the pipes. Even if not,
I drink LOTS of water so I want it to be a pure as possible. Plus I drink
lots of tea so "tasteless" water wouldn't bother me.. the flavor of the tea
would solve that.

Thanks for all the responses!

Old 09-06-2007, 12:11 AM posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Dean G." wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 8, 4:58 pm, Steve Wertz wrote:
On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 20:25:52 GMT, Glasswalker wrote:
When filling it, I would fill it at night before going to bed.
They take a while to fill up.

I don't understand why it should be done at night. It takes 20-30
seconds to fill from the kitchen faucet, about... 3 quarts maybe?

The water then needs to drip through the filter, and fill up the
purified reserve, which takes a far longer amount of time.

Dean G.

Not for any Brita I have used. 60 seconds at most.

Water purifier packet U.S. Janet B. General Cooking 0 20-03-2017 08:54 PM
Unbreakable GLASS pitchers Goomba38 General Cooking 65 15-05-2008 12:48 AM
gravity water purifier taopants Tea 3 23-07-2007 01:35 PM
Water purifier pitchers ?? Zippy P Cooking Equipment 57 05-07-2007 05:54 AM
Water filter pitchers (e.g., Brita) [email protected] General 2 09-05-2006 09:21 AM