Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Default Water purifier pitchers ??

Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier pitchers.
The pitchers with the filters in them?

I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the store,
and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.

Comments?

Thx!

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Zippy P" > wrote in message
t...
> Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier pitchers.
> The pitchers with the filters in them?
>
> I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the
> store,
> and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.
>
> Comments?
>
> Thx!

We had a Brita pitcher that we used a few years ago. From what I remember
of the 'taste' of the resulting water, it's just as good as the Culligan
water that we now have.

The only issues I can think of would be, make sure that there is room in
your fridge for the pitcher (we could barely squeeze ours in). When filling
it, I would fill it at night before going to bed. They take a while to fill
up. I would also go with a more established brand (like Brita) so there's
less of a chance of the filters being taken off the market any time soon.

-Glasswalker-

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Jun 8, 3:56 pm, "Zippy P" > wrote:
> Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier pitchers.
> The pitchers with the filters in them?
>
> I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the store,
> and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.
>
> Comments?
>
> Thx!

My water from the tap is undrinkable, but tastes fine poured from a
brita pitcher; however, it is soft water to begin with, so YMMV...

...fred

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Zippy P" > wrote in message
t...
> Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier pitchers.
> The pitchers with the filters in them?
>
> I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the
> store,
> and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.
>
> Comments?
>
> Thx!

What is the source of the water that comes out of your tap at home? Is it
from your own well, or a municipal water authority? If it's from a water
authority, what is the exact name of that water authority?

This information will assist others in answering one of your questions.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Jun 8, 3:56?pm, "Zippy P" > wrote:
> Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier pitchers.
> The pitchers with the filters in them?
>
> I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the store,
> and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.
>
> Comments?

One word: RO

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Zippy P wrote:
> Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier
> pitchers. The pitchers with the filters in them?
>
> I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the
> store, and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.
>
> Comments?
>
> Thx!

The tap water where I live comes from natural acquifers deep underground and
it tastes great. I get an annual report about the water. At one point I
bought a Brita pitcher because it was all the rage to do so. Later I
wondered why on earth I would want to filter it when it already tastes good.
The Brita filter made the water tasteless. To me, there should at least be
some trace minerals.

When the vet suggested my elderly dog avoid sodium and said some of it may
be from the drinking water I called the utility company. After being
transferred a few times I talked with a (forget his complex degrees)
technician and told our water contains very little sodium. He quoted some
statistics which I wrote down and he sent me information about it in the
mail. Then I called the vet and relayed the information and he was very
happy to know about it.

I don't buy bottled water. Even when I travel, the Memphis airport still
has regular drinking fountains. Oh, I could choose to pay $3 for a bottle
of some water from someplace I've never been. One airport, they only sold
bottled water. I kept the bottle and fill it from my tap before I travel.

Unless your tap water tastes like crap or has been proven to be undrinkable,
why bother? Contact the utility company that provides your tap water and
ask them to send you information. If you truly just don't like the taste of
the water, go ahead and buy the bottled stuff or get a filter pitcher. I
don't find I need either one.

Jill <---drinks tap water all day long

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Jun 8, 1:58 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> Zippy P wrote:
> > Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier
> > pitchers. The pitchers with the filters in them?

> > I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the
> > store, and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.

> > Comments?

> > Thx!

> The tap water where I live comes from natural acquifers deep underground and
> it tastes great. I get an annual report about the water. At one point I
> bought a Brita pitcher because it was all the rage to do so. Later I
> wondered why on earth I would want to filter it when it already tastes good.
> The Brita filter made the water tasteless. To me, there should at least be
> some trace minerals.
>
> When the vet suggested my elderly dog avoid sodium and said some of it may
> be from the drinking water I called the utility company. After being
> transferred a few times I talked with a (forget his complex degrees)
> technician and told our water contains very little sodium. He quoted some
> statistics which I wrote down and he sent me information about it in the
> mail. Then I called the vet and relayed the information and he was very
> happy to know about it.
>
> I don't buy bottled water. Even when I travel, the Memphis airport still
> has regular drinking fountains. Oh, I could choose to pay $3 for a bottle
> of some water from someplace I've never been. One airport, they only sold
> bottled water. I kept the bottle and fill it from my tap before I travel.
>
> Unless your tap water tastes like crap or has been proven to be undrinkable,
> why bother? Contact the utility company that provides your tap water and
> ask them to send you information. If you truly just don't like the taste of
> the water, go ahead and buy the bottled stuff or get a filter pitcher. I
> don't find I need either one.
>
> Jill <---drinks tap water all day long

Tasteless water? Hmmmm......

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Zippy P wrote:

> Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier pitchers.
> The pitchers with the filters in them?
>
> I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the store,
> and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.
>
> Comments?
>
> Thx!

The filters like Britta / Pur do a decent job, but operational costs
seems to be more than the under sink / whole house filters with charcoal
elements which have similar performance.

If you want really pure water the under counter reverse osmosis units
work well and operational costs aren't too bad though the cost is both
filters and reject water. I hate city water and when I had a house with
city water I used an RO unit and was very happy with the resulting
water. The ~$150 or so RO setups from Depot/Lowe's, etc. are all fine.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Jun 8, 4:58 pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 20:25:52 GMT, Glasswalker wrote:
> > When filling it, I would fill it at night before going to bed.
> > They take a while to fill up.

> I don't understand why it should be done at night. It takes 20-30
> seconds to fill from the kitchen faucet, about... 3 quarts maybe?

The water then needs to drip through the filter, and fill up the
purified reserve, which takes a far longer amount of time.

Dean G.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Zippy P wrote:
> Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier
> pitchers. The pitchers with the filters in them?
>
> I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the
> store, and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.
>
> Comments?
>
> Thx!

We have a Brita filter attached to our kitchen faucet. You flick the switch
on the filter depending upon whether or not you want tap or filtered water.
*Big* difference in taste and odor between filtered and non-filtered. It's
really amazing how much the filter helps.

kili

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> Zippy P wrote:
>>
>> Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier
>> pitchers. The pitchers with the filters in them?
>>
>> I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from
>> the store, and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery
>> stuff.
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> Thx!

> The filters like Britta / Pur do a decent job, but operational costs
> seems to be more than the under sink / whole house filters with
> charcoal elements which have similar performance.
>
> If you want really pure water the under counter reverse osmosis units
> work well and operational costs aren't too bad though the cost is both
> filters and reject water. I hate city water and when I had a house
> with city water I used an RO unit and was very happy with the
> resulting water. The ~$150 or so RO setups from Depot/Lowe's, etc.
> are all fine.
>
> Pete C.

We've got one of those units that you're talking about, Pete, but to install
it, we need to put in a new sink - that's not going to happen, so it sits in
the back closet and every 4 months we spend the $$ for a new Brita filter.
Sigh.

kili

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 20:25:52 GMT, Glasswalker wrote:
>
>> When filling it, I would fill it at night before going to bed.
>> They take a while to fill up.

> I don't understand why it should be done at night. It takes 20-30
> seconds to fill from the kitchen faucet, about... 3 quarts maybe?
>
> -sw

My Brita jug takes about 3 minutes for the water to drip to the bottom. Two
weeks later, it takes maybe 5 minutes. A month later, maybe 6 minutes. Maybe
some people think the need for filter replacement is a scam by Brita to
"make obscene profits", so they use the same filter forever. Then, it might
take longer for the water to drip through.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Jun 8, 4:27 pm, kuvasz guy > wrote:
> On Jun 8, 3:56 pm, "Zippy P" > wrote:
>
> > Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier pitchers.
> > The pitchers with the filters in them?

> > I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the store,
> > and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.

> > Comments?

> > Thx!

> My water from the tap is undrinkable, but tastes fine poured from a
> brita pitcher; however, it is soft water to begin with, so YMMV...
>
> ..fred

If water is hard, then you have to use more salt. Then you will have
a lot of salt coming through your filter. Our water is too hard for a
Brita. We use reverse osmosis because of that; and also because our
water is from a well.

We used to have a heavy water distiller, but alas stopped moving it
from place to place. I'm sorry now, because I'm thinking of buying a
new one, and DH doesn't want one when he can buy distilled water.
However, I find that even distilled water has some odor eminating from
bottles either from the plastic or a combination of plastic and
cholorine that they've used for some reason. Not too happy buying
distilled water, either, but I use it in my electric tea-pot.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

It's from the municipal water people. I don't really see the need in giving
the exact name.

I don't want to install stuff since I rent. I'm just interested in the
pitchers. The tap water is ok here, but I'm worried that since the apt
building is old, there might be stuff leeching from the pipes. Even if not,
I drink LOTS of water so I want it to be a pure as possible. Plus I drink
lots of tea so "tasteless" water wouldn't bother me.. the flavor of the tea
would solve that.

Thanks for all the responses!

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Dean G." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jun 8, 4:58 pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:
>> On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 20:25:52 GMT, Glasswalker wrote:
>> > When filling it, I would fill it at night before going to bed.
>> > They take a while to fill up.

>> I don't understand why it should be done at night. It takes 20-30
>> seconds to fill from the kitchen faucet, about... 3 quarts maybe?
>>

> The water then needs to drip through the filter, and fill up the
> purified reserve, which takes a far longer amount of time.
>
> Dean G.

Not for any Brita I have used. 60 seconds at most.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
> > Zippy P wrote:
> >>
> >> Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier
> >> pitchers. The pitchers with the filters in them?
> >>
> >> I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from
> >> the store, and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery
> >> stuff.
> >>
> >> Comments?
> >>
> >> Thx!

> > The filters like Britta / Pur do a decent job, but operational costs
> > seems to be more than the under sink / whole house filters with
> > charcoal elements which have similar performance.
> >
> > If you want really pure water the under counter reverse osmosis units
> > work well and operational costs aren't too bad though the cost is both
> > filters and reject water. I hate city water and when I had a house
> > with city water I used an RO unit and was very happy with the
> > resulting water. The ~$150 or so RO setups from Depot/Lowe's, etc.
> > are all fine.
> >
> > Pete C.

> We've got one of those units that you're talking about, Pete, but to install
> it, we need to put in a new sink - that's not going to happen, so it sits in
> the back closet and every 4 months we spend the $$ for a new Brita filter.
> Sigh.
>
> kili

Put in a new sink??? What??? You can install those RO units anywhere
without having to replace the sink.

Assuming you're talking about a lack of an existing hole to install the
dispenser tap, you can install that anywhere at all. You can readily
drill a new hole in the existing sink with an appropriate bit. You can
install in in the countertop beside the sink. You can remote the install
100' away if you want, it only takes a 1/4" poly feed line. You can feed
it to a water dispenser in a refrigerator.

The RO water is significantly more pure than Brita water too. Not that
Brita is bad, RO is just a lot better. The only real issue with RO is
that you need decent water pressure for it to work, something like 50
PSI or better. It takes a fair amount of pressure to force the water
through the RO membrane.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> I don't buy bottled water. Even when I travel, the Memphis airport still
> has regular drinking fountains. Oh, I could choose to pay $3 for a bottle
> of some water from someplace I've never been. One airport, they only sold
> bottled water. I kept the bottle and fill it from my tap before I travel.

I can't remember the comedian, but one I have on the radio a few times
has a routine where he talks about bottled water. He saying that the
French put one over on us about bottled water. Those Americans, they'll
buy anything.

Why would I buy bottled water when I can get it free from the tap?
(snorts about something else) Hey, give me a bottle of that stuff.
(takes a pretend sip) Hmmm, not bad. It tastes ... wet.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Zippy P wrote:
> Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier pitchers.
> The pitchers with the filters in them?
>
> I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the store,
> and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.
>
> Comments?
>
> Thx!

We have a Brita. Our water is tasty even without it, but it helps to
keep a half gallon of cold water in the fridge. I like icy cold water.
The filter lasts much longer than the mfg. suggests.

The water at work is HORRIBLE tasting with minerals and chlorine. We
put an inline filter in the water line of the fridge that has a water
dispenser in the door and it completely eliminates the terrible flavor
of both the water and ice.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> The tap water where I live comes from natural acquifers deep underground
> and
> it tastes great.

You're lucky. Most places I've lived the tap water tastes (and smells) like
it just came out of a swimming pool. We've always either had a water
treatment system or used a Brita filter.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> My Brita jug takes about 3 minutes for the water to drip to the bottom. Two
> weeks later, it takes maybe 5 minutes. A month later, maybe 6 minutes. Maybe
> some people think the need for filter replacement is a scam by Brita to
> "make obscene profits", so they use the same filter forever. Then, it might
> take longer for the water to drip through.

Even if you never change the filter, you (generic) should empty the
pitcher completely and wash the inside occasionally.

My elderly inlaws NEVER changed filters or washed the pitcher (I'm
talking about 6 months or more here)and every time we visited I did it
for them because there was slime mold in the water and a brownish sludge
in the bottom. Their well water was terrible and gunked up the filter
more than any I had ever seen.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Zippy P" > wrote in message
t...
> Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier pitchers.
> The pitchers with the filters in them?
>
> I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the
> store,
> and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.
>
> Comments?

Own or rent the house? If you own, put a filter in the kitchen cold water
line. If you rent long term, there will still be a convenience payback over
a year or three.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

did they store the pitcher in the refrigerator or at room temp?

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>>
>> Pete C. wrote:

>>> The filters like Britta / Pur do a decent job, but operational costs
>>> seems to be more than the under sink / whole house filters with
>>> charcoal elements which have similar performance.
>>>
>>> If you want really pure water the under counter reverse osmosis
>>> units work well and operational costs aren't too bad though the
>>> cost is both filters and reject water. I hate city water and when I
>>> had a house with city water I used an RO unit and was very happy
>>> with the resulting water. The ~$150 or so RO setups from
>>> Depot/Lowe's, etc. are all fine.
>>>
>>> Pete C.

>> We've got one of those units that you're talking about, Pete, but to
>> install it, we need to put in a new sink - that's not going to
>> happen, so it sits in the back closet and every 4 months we spend
>> the $$ for a new Brita filter. Sigh.
>>
>> kili

> Put in a new sink??? What??? You can install those RO units anywhere
> without having to replace the sink.
>
> Assuming you're talking about a lack of an existing hole to install
> the dispenser tap, you can install that anywhere at all. You can
> readily drill a new hole in the existing sink with an appropriate
> bit. You can install in in the countertop beside the sink. You can
> remote the install 100' away if you want, it only takes a 1/4" poly
> feed line. You can feed it to a water dispenser in a refrigerator.
>
> The RO water is significantly more pure than Brita water too. Not that
> Brita is bad, RO is just a lot better. The only real issue with RO is
> that you need decent water pressure for it to work, something like 50
> PSI or better. It takes a fair amount of pressure to force the water
> through the RO membrane.
>
> Pete C.

The unit we have doesn't fit under the sink and requires a hole drilled into
the sink, yes. Our sink is one of those old, chipped enamel, stained, ugly
things. We also don't have any counter space to the side of the sink.
We've only got about 2 and a half to three feet of counter space next to the
stove. The house is really small, was built over 30 years ago and
desperately needs an overhaul, starting with the kitchen.

The RO unit was a gift from my FIL who is in the water purification
business. Whenever we leave this dump we're in, we'll take the unit with us
and hopefully we will be able to install it there.

kili

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> On Jun 8, 1:58 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> Zippy P wrote:
>>> Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier
>>> pitchers. The pitchers with the filters in them?

>>> I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from
>>> the store, and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery
>>> stuff.

>>> Comments?

>>> Thx!

>> The tap water where I live comes from natural acquifers deep
>> underground and it tastes great. I get an annual report about the
>> water. At one point I bought a Brita pitcher because it was all the
>> rage to do so. Later I wondered why on earth I would want to filter
>> it when it already tastes good. The Brita filter made the water
>> tasteless. To me, there should at least be some trace minerals.
>>
>> When the vet suggested my elderly dog avoid sodium and said some of
>> it may be from the drinking water I called the utility company.
>> After being transferred a few times I talked with a (forget his
>> complex degrees) technician and told our water contains very little
>> sodium. He quoted some statistics which I wrote down and he sent me
>> information about it in the mail. Then I called the vet and relayed
>> the information and he was very happy to know about it.
>>
>> I don't buy bottled water. Even when I travel, the Memphis airport
>> still has regular drinking fountains. Oh, I could choose to pay $3
>> for a bottle of some water from someplace I've never been. One
>> airport, they only sold bottled water. I kept the bottle and fill
>> it from my tap before I travel.
>>
>> Unless your tap water tastes like crap or has been proven to be
>> undrinkable, why bother? Contact the utility company that provides
>> your tap water and ask them to send you information. If you truly
>> just don't like the taste of the water, go ahead and buy the bottled
>> stuff or get a filter pitcher. I don't find I need either one.
>>
>> Jill <---drinks tap water all day long

> Tasteless water? Hmmmm......

Yeah, it's as bad as store-brand mayonnaise

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> The RO unit was a gift from my FIL who is in the water purification
> business. Whenever we leave this dump we're in, we'll take the unit
> with us and hopefully we will be able to install it there.
>
> kili

I have a suggestion for you which was suggested to me Since there
doesn't seem to be much work there for Allan and you hate the place but want
to be near a beach, try the gulf coast. There's plenty of work for
carpenters and others in the building trade even all these years after
Hurricane Katrina. And they have beaches

Jill

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>> The RO unit was a gift from my FIL who is in the water purification
>> business. Whenever we leave this dump we're in, we'll take the unit
>> with us and hopefully we will be able to install it there.
>>
>> kili

> I have a suggestion for you which was suggested to me Since there
> doesn't seem to be much work there for Allan and you hate the place
> but want to be near a beach, try the gulf coast. There's plenty of
> work for carpenters and others in the building trade even all these
> years after Hurricane Katrina. And they have beaches
>
> Jill

We've been talking about sellling the house to the government at quite a
loss. They've been sending us offers to buy so that they can turn around
and make this area all HUD housing. It's probably the only way we could
sell it with the market the way it is here in Florida. We're still weighing
our options, but I don't think Louisiana will be one of them. We're
considering South Carolina. That way, I'm still within reach of the Mayo
Clinic.

kili

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Zippy P wrote:

> It's from the municipal water people. I don't really see the need in giving
> the exact name.
>
> I don't want to install stuff since I rent. I'm just interested in the
> pitchers. The tap water is ok here, but I'm worried that since the apt
> building is old, there might be stuff leeching from the pipes. Even if not,
> I drink LOTS of water so I want it to be a pure as possible. Plus I drink
> lots of tea so "tasteless" water wouldn't bother me.. the flavor of the tea
> would solve that.
>
> Thanks for all the responses!

If the building is old it's more likely that what was going to leach out
has long since done so. You can have the water tested and compare that
analysis with the municipal annual water report to see if there is
anything likely coming from the building. Remember that the municipal
water report represents a few averaged analysis points and may not
exactly match any given day.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> kilikini wrote:
>>> The RO unit was a gift from my FIL who is in the water purification
>>> business. Whenever we leave this dump we're in, we'll take the unit
>>> with us and hopefully we will be able to install it there.
>>>
>>> kili

>> I have a suggestion for you which was suggested to me Since there
>> doesn't seem to be much work there for Allan and you hate the place
>> but want to be near a beach, try the gulf coast. There's plenty of
>> work for carpenters and others in the building trade even all these
>> years after Hurricane Katrina. And they have beaches
>>
>> Jill

> We've been talking about sellling the house to the government at
> quite a loss. They've been sending us offers to buy so that they can
> turn around and make this area all HUD housing. It's probably the
> only way we could sell it with the market the way it is here in
> Florida. We're still weighing our options, but I don't think
> Louisiana will be one of them. We're considering South Carolina.
> That way, I'm still within reach of the Mayo Clinic.
>
> kili

Oh, I wasn't specifically talking about Louisiana. In fact, I get tired of
people talking "New Orleans" when there are so many other areas that were
hit hard. There are many more affected areas than just that. Mississippi
has the gulf shores as does Alabama. But but I can see why you'd want to be
near the Mayo Clinic.

I'm not sure how much work there would be in South Carolina, though. And
it's not really known for it's beaches unless you count the tourist areas,
Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach. Expensive.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 20:25:52 GMT, Glasswalker wrote:
>
>> When filling it, I would fill it at night before going to bed.
>> They take a while to fill up.

> I don't understand why it should be done at night. It takes 20-30
> seconds to fill from the kitchen faucet, about... 3 quarts maybe?
>
> -sw

Even the first time we filled it and placed it in the fridge, it took about
an hour or so for the water to run through the filter. Couldn't have been
build-up since it was the first time.

-Glasswalker-

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> I have a suggestion for you which was suggested to me Since
>>> there doesn't seem to be much work there for Allan and you hate the
>>> place but want to be near a beach, try the gulf coast. There's
>>> plenty of work for carpenters and others in the building trade even
>>> all these years after Hurricane Katrina. And they have beaches
>>>
>>> Jill

>> We've been talking about sellling the house to the government at
>> quite a loss. They've been sending us offers to buy so that they can
>> turn around and make this area all HUD housing. It's probably the
>> only way we could sell it with the market the way it is here in
>> Florida. We're still weighing our options, but I don't think
>> Louisiana will be one of them. We're considering South Carolina.
>> That way, I'm still within reach of the Mayo Clinic.
>>
>> kili

> Oh, I wasn't specifically talking about Louisiana. In fact, I get
> tired of people talking "New Orleans" when there are so many other
> areas that were hit hard. There are many more affected areas than
> just that. Mississippi has the gulf shores as does Alabama. But but
> I can see why you'd want to be near the Mayo Clinic.
>
> I'm not sure how much work there would be in South Carolina, though.
> And it's not really known for it's beaches unless you count the
> tourist areas, Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach. Expensive.
>
> Jill

My aunt lives in Columbia and my grandparents used to live on the islands
around Charleston, SC, so I'm familiar with it. My aunt said there are tons
of houses going up in her area and she's looking into it for us. Meanwhile,
my cousin has 5 acres that he said we can build a house on, if we want.
Meanwhile, it's still all up in the air.

kili

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> kilikini wrote:

>>> We've been talking about sellling the house to the government at
>>> quite a loss. They've been sending us offers to buy so that they
>>> can turn around and make this area all HUD housing. It's probably
>>> the only way we could sell it with the market the way it is here in
>>> Florida. We're still weighing our options, but I don't think
>>> Louisiana will be one of them. We're considering South Carolina.
>>> That way, I'm still within reach of the Mayo Clinic.
>>>
>>> kili

>> Oh, I wasn't specifically talking about Louisiana. In fact, I get
>> tired of people talking "New Orleans" when there are so many other
>> areas that were hit hard. There are many more affected areas than
>> just that. Mississippi has the gulf shores as does Alabama. But but
>> I can see why you'd want to be near the Mayo Clinic.
>>
>> I'm not sure how much work there would be in South Carolina, though.
>> And it's not really known for it's beaches unless you count the
>> tourist areas, Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach. Expensive.
>>

> My aunt lives in Columbia

Columbia, SC is WAAAAAY inland. There are no beaches there.

> and my grandparents used to live on the
> islands around Charleston, SC, so I'm familiar with it. My aunt said
> there are tons of houses going up in her area

The Charleston area has beaches. Again mostly tourist type places, although
it's a gorgeous old city.

> and she's looking into
> it for us.

That's nice. But don't expect to find a beach within an easy drive of
Columbia. And is there work in Columbia?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Zippy P" > wrote in message
> t...
>> Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier
>> pitchers. The pitchers with the filters in them?
>>
>> I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the
>> store,
>> and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.
>>
>> Comments?

> Own or rent the house? If you own, put a filter in the kitchen cold
> water line. If you rent long term, there will still be a convenience
> payback over a year or three.

Some rental properties won't let you install "improvements" like that, Ed.
Where I live I can't install *anything* of a permanent nature without prior
approval.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Glasswalker" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 20:25:52 GMT, Glasswalker wrote:
>>
>>> When filling it, I would fill it at night before going to bed.
>>> They take a while to fill up.

>> I don't understand why it should be done at night. It takes 20-30
>> seconds to fill from the kitchen faucet, about... 3 quarts maybe?
>>
>> -sw

> Even the first time we filled it and placed it in the fridge, it took
> about an hour or so for the water to run through the filter. Couldn't
> have been build-up since it was the first time.
>
> -Glasswalker-

Did you soak the filter before installing, as stated in the instructions?

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Oh, I wasn't specifically talking about Louisiana. In fact, I get
>>> tired of people talking "New Orleans" when there are so many other
>>> areas that were hit hard. There are many more affected areas than
>>> just that. Mississippi has the gulf shores as does Alabama. But
>>> but I can see why you'd want to be near the Mayo Clinic.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure how much work there would be in South Carolina, though.
>>> And it's not really known for it's beaches unless you count the
>>> tourist areas, Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach. Expensive.
>>>

>> My aunt lives in Columbia

> Columbia, SC is WAAAAAY inland. There are no beaches there.
>
>> and my grandparents used to live on the
>> islands around Charleston, SC, so I'm familiar with it. My aunt said
>> there are tons of houses going up in her area

> The Charleston area has beaches. Again mostly tourist type places,
> although it's a gorgeous old city.
>
>> and she's looking into
>> it for us.

> That's nice. But don't expect to find a beach within an easy drive of
> Columbia. And is there work in Columbia?
>
> Jill

A beach isn't important if I'm on the East Coast. None of those are beaches
to me. I'm an unhappy, displaced West Coast girl.

kili

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

yeah that's too long. I just got one and it takes about 5 or so minutes.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Glasswalker wrote:

> Even the first time we filled it and placed it in the fridge, it took
> about an hour or so for the water to run through the filter. Couldn't
> have been build-up since it was the first time.

Did you pre-soak the filter as directed?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 1:55 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> > "Zippy P" > wrote in message
> et...
> >> Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier
> >> pitchers. The pitchers with the filters in them?

> >> I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the
> >> store,
> >> and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.

> >> Comments?

> > Own or rent the house? If you own, put a filter in the kitchen cold
> > water line. If you rent long term, there will still be a convenience
> > payback over a year or three.

> Some rental properties won't let you install "improvements" like that, Ed.
> Where I live I can't install *anything* of a permanent nature without prior
> approval.

I recall from a relative a number of years back that she was using an
Amway (counter) reverse osmosis; it dripped, dripped, dripped into a
pitcher. You wouldn't necessarily have to hook it up, as I recall;
just plug it in. Put it anywhere you can find a space. Well, that's
hard to do at my house.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Zippy P" > wrote in message
t...
> Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier
> pitchers.
> The pitchers with the filters in them?
>
> I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the
> store,
> and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.
>
> Comments?
>
> Thx!

I tried the brita and it was ok, but eventually went to a filter that fits
on the tap in the kitchen. Just replace the filter when it's used up.

--
Helen
in

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

> On Jun 9, 1:55 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> > Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> > > "Zippy P" > wrote in message
> > et...

> > > Own or rent the house? If you own, put a filter in the kitchen cold
> > > water line. If you rent long term, there will still be a convenience
> > > payback over a year or three.

> > Some rental properties won't let you install "improvements" like that, Ed.
> > Where I live I can't install *anything* of a permanent nature without prior
> > approval.

> I recall from a relative a number of years back that she was using an
> Amway (counter) reverse osmosis; it dripped, dripped, dripped into a
> pitcher. You wouldn't necessarily have to hook it up, as I recall;
> just plug it in. Put it anywhere you can find a space. Well, that's
> hard to do at my house.
> Dee Dee

If it "dripped, dripped, dripped" in all probability it was not reverse
osmosis. RO membranes require a fair amount of water pressure to
operate. They also produce "reject" water which carries away the crud
the membrane won't pass.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 5:48 pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
> Dee Dee wrote:

> > > et...

> > > Some rental properties won't let you install "improvements" like that, Ed.
> > > Where I live I can't install *anything* of a permanent nature without prior
> > > approval.

> > I recall from a relative a number of years back that she was using an
> > Amway (counter) reverse osmosis; it dripped, dripped, dripped into a
> > pitcher. You wouldn't necessarily have to hook it up, as I recall;
> > just plug it in. Put it anywhere you can find a space. Well, that's
> > hard to do at my house.
> > Dee Dee

> If it "dripped, dripped, dripped" in all probability it was not reverse
> osmosis. RO membranes require a fair amount of water pressure to
> operate. They also produce "reject" water which carries away the crud
> the membrane won't pass.
>
> Pete C.- Hide quoted text -

As I recall, it was something like this.
http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-4...o-systems.aspx

Actually my RO after it is all drained into a spaghetti pan for it's
water, and if I leave the faucet of the RO on, it 'does' drip, drip,
drip' into my pan as it is producing. That is what I am speaking
about.
Now, I don't know how the above RO works, but it was definitely a
counterop RO -- AND expensive.
Dee Dee

Water purifier packet U.S. Janet B. General Cooking 0 20-03-2017 09:54 PM
Unbreakable GLASS pitchers Goomba38 General Cooking 65 15-05-2008 12:48 AM
gravity water purifier taopants Tea 3 23-07-2007 01:35 PM
Water purifier pitchers ?? Zippy P General Cooking 90 05-07-2007 05:54 AM
Water filter pitchers (e.g., Brita) [email protected] General 2 09-05-2006 09:21 AM