Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Unbreakable GLASS pitchers

Many years ago I had a Pyrex drink pitcher. It was perfect for pouring
boiling water over for iced tea. Needless to say I lost or broke
it...and they are IMPOSSIBLE to find nowadays!

If a pitcher is advertised as "dishwasher and microwave safe" would you
assume you could pour boiling water into it?

http://www.target.com/Simplicity-Cla...338285-6697435
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Many years ago I had a Pyrex drink pitcher. It was perfect for pouring
> boiling water over for iced tea. Needless to say I lost or broke
> it...and they are IMPOSSIBLE to find nowadays!
>
> If a pitcher is advertised as "dishwasher and microwave safe" would
> you assume you could pour boiling water into it?

http://www.target.com/Simplicity-Cla...338285-6697435

Oooh, I love the style of that pitcher! I would assume you could pour
boiling water into it since dishwashers get pretty darned hot. And I can't
imagine why else you'd put a pitcher like that into a microwave? I don't
see the name of the Mfg (unless it's "Simplicity") otherwise I'd suggest
contacting them for clarification.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Goomba38 wrote:
>> Many years ago I had a Pyrex drink pitcher. It was perfect for pouring
>> boiling water over for iced tea. Needless to say I lost or broke
>> it...and they are IMPOSSIBLE to find nowadays!
>>
>> If a pitcher is advertised as "dishwasher and microwave safe" would
>> you assume you could pour boiling water into it?
>>

> http://www.target.com/Simplicity-Cla...338285-6697435
>
> Oooh, I love the style of that pitcher! I would assume you could pour
> boiling water into it since dishwashers get pretty darned hot. And I can't
> imagine why else you'd put a pitcher like that into a microwave? I don't
> see the name of the Mfg (unless it's "Simplicity") otherwise I'd suggest
> contacting them for clarification.
>
> Jill

I use a Fiesta pitcher for daily use, but need something larger. I wish
Fiesta made a 3+ quart size. This one at Target would be handy for the
size.
Why in the world doesn't Pyrex sell pitchers anymore, I wonder!??!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 12, 2:26 pm, Goomba38 > wrote:
> Many years ago I had a Pyrex drink pitcher. It was perfect for pouring
> boiling water over for iced tea. Needless to say I lost or broke
> it...and they are IMPOSSIBLE to find nowadays!
>
> If a pitcher is advertised as "dishwasher and microwave safe" would you
> assume you could pour boiling water into it?
>
> http://www.target.com/Simplicity-Cla...0TADU3U/ref=sc...

I would not assume that. Pouring boiling water into a glass pitcher,
unless the pitcher has been conditioned by extremely hot water to
start with, I think is too much of a shock for the glass. In a
microwave and dishwasher, glass gets hot more gradually. Pouring
boiling water into glass is different - it's all at once.

Coffee carafes are made for boiling liquids - I'd look for something
that says "tempered glass." Use a glass coffee carafe if you don't
get an answer from the manufacturer of the pitcher. Much of the
prettiest glassware is made in other countries, so I don't know how
easy it will be to get a definitive answer....

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 12 May 2008 12:26:39p, Goomba38 told us...

> Many years ago I had a Pyrex drink pitcher. It was perfect for pouring
> boiling water over for iced tea. Needless to say I lost or broke
> it...and they are IMPOSSIBLE to find nowadays!
>
> If a pitcher is advertised as "dishwasher and microwave safe" would you
> assume you could pour boiling water into it?
>
> http://www.target.com/Simplicity-Cla...U3U/ref=sc_ri_
> 3/602-2338285-6697435

Nope, BTDT. It might work for a while, but eventually it will crack. I
lost two of my favorite pitchers that way.

Supposedly, if you put a large metal spoon in the pitcher before pouring
the boiling water in it, it will prevent the thermal shock. I'm not so
sure I belive that entirely.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 12 May 2008 12:43:21p, Goomba38 told us...

> jmcquown wrote:
>> Goomba38 wrote:
>>> Many years ago I had a Pyrex drink pitcher. It was perfect for pouring
>>> boiling water over for iced tea. Needless to say I lost or broke
>>> it...and they are IMPOSSIBLE to find nowadays!
>>>
>>> If a pitcher is advertised as "dishwasher and microwave safe" would
>>> you assume you could pour boiling water into it?
>>>

>> http://www.target.com/Simplicity-Cla...DU3U/ref=sc_ri
>> _3/602-2338285-6697435
>>
>> Oooh, I love the style of that pitcher! I would assume you could pour
>> boiling water into it since dishwashers get pretty darned hot. And I
>> can't imagine why else you'd put a pitcher like that into a microwave?
>> I don't see the name of the Mfg (unless it's "Simplicity") otherwise
>> I'd suggest contacting them for clarification.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I use a Fiesta pitcher for daily use, but need something larger. I wish
> Fiesta made a 3+ quart size. This one at Target would be handy for the
> size.
> Why in the world doesn't Pyrex sell pitchers anymore, I wonder!??!

There are a lot of things that Pyrex used to make that they no longer
offer. I always liked the small (half-quart and quart) size Pyrex dishes
with matching Pyrex lids because they were perfect for microwaving 1 or 2
portions of almost anything. I used to have several of each size, but now
I'm down to one of each. :-(

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 6dys 10hrs 55mins
I detest converts almost as much as I
do missionaries. --H.L. Mencken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Goomba38 wrote:
>>> Many years ago I had a Pyrex drink pitcher. It was perfect for pouring
>>> boiling water over for iced tea. Needless to say I lost or broke
>>> it...and they are IMPOSSIBLE to find nowadays!
>>>
>>> If a pitcher is advertised as "dishwasher and microwave safe" would
>>> you assume you could pour boiling water into it?
>>>

>> http://www.target.com/Simplicity-Cla...338285-6697435
>>

>> Oooh, I love the style of that pitcher! I would assume you could pour
>> boiling water into it since dishwashers get pretty darned hot. And I
>> can't
>> imagine why else you'd put a pitcher like that into a microwave? I don't
>> see the name of the Mfg (unless it's "Simplicity") otherwise I'd suggest
>> contacting them for clarification.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I use a Fiesta pitcher for daily use, but need something larger. I wish
> Fiesta made a 3+ quart size. This one at Target would be handy for the
> size.
> Why in the world doesn't Pyrex sell pitchers anymore, I wonder!??!

Corning Glass (the company that developed Pyrex and holds that
trademark) sold off the consumer product lines including "Corningware"
some time ago. It seems the current owner only chose to make a small
subset of the product line.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 May 2008 15:26:39 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Many years ago I had a Pyrex drink pitcher. It was perfect for pouring
>boiling water over for iced tea. Needless to say I lost or broke
>it...and they are IMPOSSIBLE to find nowadays!
>
>If a pitcher is advertised as "dishwasher and microwave safe" would you
>assume you could pour boiling water into it?
>
>http://www.target.com/Simplicity-Cla...338285-6697435

Why not check the old reliable source for all things kitcheny and
ancient - eBay.

Or use a Chemex drip pot It will surely be fine for boiling water and
it has a lovely shape. In fact, any automatic coffee maker decanter
will also work well.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Many years ago I had a Pyrex drink pitcher. It was perfect for pouring
> boiling water over for iced tea. Needless to say I lost or broke
> it...and they are IMPOSSIBLE to find nowadays!
>
> If a pitcher is advertised as "dishwasher and microwave safe" would you
> assume you could pour boiling water into it?
>
> http://www.target.com/Simplicity-Cla...338285-6697435

Likely not, it is the quick change in temperature that cause the
cracking. Dishwashers don't get anywhere near boiling and the nuker
heats it gradually.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

> Or use a Chemex drip pot It will surely be fine for boiling water and
> it has a lovely shape. In fact, any automatic coffee maker decanter
> will also work well.
>
> Boron

Never heard of Chemex before, but the largest I see is 50 ounces and
that is $72! <faint>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George > wrote:

:Corning Glass (the company that developed Pyrex and holds that
:trademark) sold off the consumer product lines including "Corningware"
:some time ago. It seems the current owner only chose to make a small
:subset of the product line.

They make a subset of the product line, and don't make it of
borosilicate glass, which is what is generically refered to as Pyrex.
So, even if they did make a pitcher, it wouldn't be suitable to use
with boiling water. There are other makers of borosilicate glass
stuff for the kitchen, though, so look around.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote

> I use a Fiesta pitcher for daily use, but need something larger. I wish
> Fiesta made a 3+ quart size. This one at Target would be handy for the
> size.
> Why in the world doesn't Pyrex sell pitchers anymore, I wonder!??!

Why are pitchers so hard to come by, in general. They are *always*
the wrong size and shape. I've quit looking.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 > wrote:

> Many years ago I had a Pyrex drink pitcher. It was perfect for pouring
> boiling water over for iced tea. Needless to say I lost or broke
> it...and they are IMPOSSIBLE to find nowadays!

http://www.amazon.com/Viva-Jug-Dural...pd_sim_k_img_2

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Goomba38 > wrote:
>
>> Many years ago I had a Pyrex drink pitcher. It was perfect for pouring
>> boiling water over for iced tea. Needless to say I lost or broke
>> it...and they are IMPOSSIBLE to find nowadays!

> http://www.amazon.com/Viva-Jug-Dural...pd_sim_k_img_2
>
> -sw

Yippee! Just the thing! Ok, it could be bigger, but I'll get it just the
same since it is very attractive.
THANK YOU!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Viva-Jug-Dural...pd_sim_k_img_2

> Yippee! Just the thing! Ok, it could be bigger, but I'll get it just the
> same since it is very attractive.
> THANK YOU!

I have some of the matching glasses and I really like them.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 12 May 2008 12:43:21p, Goomba38 told us...
>
>> I use a Fiesta pitcher for daily use, but need something larger. I
>> wish Fiesta made a 3+ quart size. This one at Target would be handy
>> for the size.
>> Why in the world doesn't Pyrex sell pitchers anymore, I wonder!??!

> There are a lot of things that Pyrex used to make that they no longer
> offer. I always liked the small (half-quart and quart) size Pyrex
> dishes with matching Pyrex lids because they were perfect for
> microwaving 1 or 2 portions of almost anything. I used to have
> several of each size, but now I'm down to one of each. :-(

Corningware (same co?) still sells "Grab-Its" (with lids) which are perfect
for what you describe. I haven't seen them in stores for a while but they
have 'em on the web site

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> There are a lot of things that Pyrex used to make that they no longer
>> offer. I always liked the small (half-quart and quart) size Pyrex
>> dishes with matching Pyrex lids because they were perfect for
>> microwaving 1 or 2 portions of almost anything. I used to have
>> several of each size, but now I'm down to one of each. :-(

> Corningware (same co?) still sells "Grab-Its" (with lids) which are perfect
> for what you describe. I haven't seen them in stores for a while but they
> have 'em on the web site
>
> Jill

While searching the Pyrex site for a pitcher, I noticed they have a
place to order replacement lids. I have a casserole dish that I've lost
the lid for and will go back to order one. I was on a tear to find a
pitcher today so didn't dawdle there.....

(one pitcher and one mortar/pestle set ordered today... I ought to be
shopped out, huh?)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> There are a lot of things that Pyrex used to make that they no longer
>> offer. I always liked the small (half-quart and quart) size Pyrex
>> dishes with matching Pyrex lids because they were perfect for
>> microwaving 1 or 2 portions of almost anything. I used to have
>> several of each size, but now I'm down to one of each. :-(

> Corningware (same co?) still sells "Grab-Its" (with lids) which are
> perfect
> for what you describe. I haven't seen them in stores for a while but they
> have 'em on the web site

I know Wayne wasn't asking us to shop for him, but how about
these from Crate & Barrel:

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=850&f=9430

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=850&f=8665

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=850&f=26185

These just happen to be my personal favorite, I have a thing for
those refrigerator storage glass containers:

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=850&f=5413

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 12 May 2008 02:58:04p, jmcquown told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Mon 12 May 2008 12:43:21p, Goomba38 told us...
>>
>>> I use a Fiesta pitcher for daily use, but need something larger. I
>>> wish Fiesta made a 3+ quart size. This one at Target would be handy
>>> for the size.
>>> Why in the world doesn't Pyrex sell pitchers anymore, I wonder!??!

>> There are a lot of things that Pyrex used to make that they no longer
>> offer. I always liked the small (half-quart and quart) size Pyrex
>> dishes with matching Pyrex lids because they were perfect for
>> microwaving 1 or 2 portions of almost anything. I used to have
>> several of each size, but now I'm down to one of each. :-(

> Corningware (same co?) still sells "Grab-Its" (with lids) which are

perfect
> for what you describe. I haven't seen them in stores for a while but

they
> have 'em on the web site
>
> Jill

I should have said that I've had those and didn't like them because of the
"grab-it" lid. I don't like that little circular handle (call me crazy).
The dishes I have, have 2 small ear type handles on opposing sides that
match ears on the bowls. (does that make sense?) I much prefer those.

I may do some looking on eBay, as I know they don't manufacture them
anymore. Another company that may have something is Anchor-Hocking.

What amazes me is that these companies, Pyrex, Corning, and Anchor-Hocking,
all make good heat resistant glass containers and supply them with
*plastic* lids, if anything. How stupid is that?

Thanks for the suggestion, though, Jill.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 6dys 8hrs 30mins
Oxymoron: Terribly Nice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 12 May 2008 03:34:24p, Nancy Young told us...

> "jmcquown" > wrote
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> There are a lot of things that Pyrex used to make that they no longer
>>> offer. I always liked the small (half-quart and quart) size Pyrex
>>> dishes with matching Pyrex lids because they were perfect for
>>> microwaving 1 or 2 portions of almost anything. I used to have several
>>> of each size, but now I'm down to one of each. :-(

>> Corningware (same co?) still sells "Grab-Its" (with lids) which are
>> perfect for what you describe. I haven't seen them in stores for a

while
>> but they have 'em on the web site

> I know Wayne wasn't asking us to shop for him, but how about
> these from Crate & Barrel:
>
> http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=850&f=9430
>
> http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=850&f=8665
>
> http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=850&f=26185
>
> These just happen to be my personal favorite, I have a thing for
> those refrigerator storage glass containers:
>
> http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=850&f=5413
>
> nancy

Nancy, thanks for doing all the looking. Oddly enough, what you like best
is exactly what I have quite a few of, ranging from 2-cup to 2-quart
capacity. I do use these in the microwave, but I just wish they hand some
kind of handles. I really love them, especially for refrigerator storage,
and I like the nostalgic look. It's just a bit difficult to pick them up
when they're piping hot coming out of the m/w, and also for draining off
liquid. The few dishes I have with the little "ear" handles are perfect
for both taking out and draining.

All the other with various types of plastics lids just won't do. They
obviously can't go in the oven, and they don't fare too well in the
mocrowave either. Otherwise, I like the dishes themselves.

Thanks again!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 6dys 8hrs 15mins
Smash forehead on keyboard to continue...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>If a pitcher is advertised as "dishwasher and microwave safe" would you
>assume you could pour boiling water into it?

In a word...NO! Just like you can't put a pyrex dish over an open
flame. It will break. Remember "ass u me"?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> Boron Elgar wrote:
>
> > Or use a Chemex drip pot It will surely be fine for boiling water and
> > it has a lovely shape. In fact, any automatic coffee maker decanter
> > will also work well.
> >
> > Boron

> Never heard of Chemex before, but the largest I see is 50 ounces and
> that is $72! <faint>

That is a lot of money. We have an old Chemex pot (and the filters for
it) in the back of a cupboard somewhere. Maybe we should insure it LOL.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 12 May 2008 09:42:42p, Arri London told us...

> Goomba38 wrote:
>>
>> Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>> > Or use a Chemex drip pot It will surely be fine for boiling water and
>> > it has a lovely shape. In fact, any automatic coffee maker decanter
>> > will also work well.
>> >
>> > Boron

>> Never heard of Chemex before, but the largest I see is 50 ounces and
>> that is $72! <faint>

> That is a lot of money. We have an old Chemex pot (and the filters for
> it) in the back of a cupboard somewhere. Maybe we should insure it LOL.

Chemex is great stuff, but it is pricey. It's an offshoot of laboratory
glassware that's been developed for home use.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 6dys 2hrs 15mins
Until someone debugs reality, the best
we can do is a quick patch here and there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 May 2008 04:46:30 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Chemex is great stuff, but it is pricey. It's an offshoot of laboratory
>glassware that's been developed for home use.

Aaha, so it must be pronounced Kemex, not *ch*emix. Either way, I've
never heard of it. LOL

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 12 May 2008 09:53:54p, sf told us...

> On Tue, 13 May 2008 04:46:30 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>Chemex is great stuff, but it is pricey. It's an offshoot of laboratory
>>glassware that's been developed for home use.

> Aaha, so it must be pronounced Kemex, not *ch*emix. Either way, I've
> never heard of it. LOL

http://www.chemex-store.com/

There are also other laboratory glass items (pitchers, beakers, and other
adapted kitchen use items made by other companies. Really nice when you
want glass and you also want durability.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 6dys 2hrs 5mins
Bald: follicularly challenged.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 12 May 2008 09:53:54p, sf told us...

> On Tue, 13 May 2008 04:46:30 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>Chemex is great stuff, but it is pricey. It's an offshoot of laboratory
>>glassware that's been developed for home use.

> Aaha, so it must be pronounced Kemex, not *ch*emix. Either way, I've
> never heard of it. LOL

Another good example of lab glass items represented on eBay:

http://stores.ebay.com/Kavalier-Glas...ce-Laboratory-
Glass.html

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 6dys 2hrs
'Good morning' is a contradiction in terms.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2008 04:46:30 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> Chemex is great stuff, but it is pricey. It's an offshoot of laboratory
>> glassware that's been developed for home use.

> Aaha, so it must be pronounced Kemex, not *ch*emix. Either way, I've
> never heard of it. LOL

<shakes head to clear confusion> I personally read it as "kem-ix" to
begin with, didn't you?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 13 May 2008 12:50:18a, Goomba38 told us...

> sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 May 2008 04:46:30 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Chemex is great stuff, but it is pricey. It's an offshoot of

laboratory
>>> glassware that's been developed for home use.

>> Aaha, so it must be pronounced Kemex, not *ch*emix. Either way, I've
>> never heard of it. LOL
>>

> <shakes head to clear confusion> I personally read it as "kem-ix" to
> begin with, didn't you?

I was already familiar with it, so I knew if was pronounced "kem-ix", but I
can see why others might not.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" > wrote

> My contractor is trying to talk me out
> of putting in another spigot that shoots out that hot water. Not in this
> lifetime. I'd rather get rid of the microwave than the hot water
> dispenser. I use it for a LOT of stuff. Iced tea is one of those things.

I can't imagine why he (or she) is against it. People seem
to love those things, I've never had one. I'd consider it.
What's the argument?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 13 May 2008 05:15:02a, Michael "Dog3" told us...

> Goomba38 > dropped this
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Corningware (same co?) still sells "Grab-Its" (with lids) which are
>>> perfect for what you describe. I haven't seen them in stores for a
>>> while but they have 'em on the web site
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> While searching the Pyrex site for a pitcher, I noticed they have a
>> place to order replacement lids. I have a casserole dish that I've
>> lost the lid for and will go back to order one. I was on a tear to
>> find a pitcher today so didn't dawdle there.....
>>
>> (one pitcher and one mortar/pestle set ordered today... I ought to be
>> shopped out, huh?)

> I like the pitcher. I've got one of those water spouts in the kitchen
> that pours out nothing but 190 degree water. I love it but have had
> things crack when I put the hot water in them. I'd find out from the
> manufacturer before I bought it. My contractor is trying to talk me out
> of putting in another spigot that shoots out that hot water. Not in this
> lifetime. I'd rather get rid of the microwave than the hot water
> dispenser. I use it for a LOT of stuff. Iced tea is one of those things.
>
> Michael

I've had one in the last 3 houses, but not in this one, and I'd like to
have one again. I'd have to replace the sink in order to have another hole
to put it in. That won't be happening soon, since this sink is brand new
(came with the house).

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 5dys 18hrs 20mins
Prepare for the future -- read science
fiction.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 13 May 2008 05:40:20a, Nancy Young told us...

> "Michael "Dog3"" > wrote
>
>> My contractor is trying to talk me out
>> of putting in another spigot that shoots out that hot water. Not in this
>> lifetime. I'd rather get rid of the microwave than the hot water
>> dispenser. I use it for a LOT of stuff. Iced tea is one of those

things.

> I can't imagine why he (or she) is against it. People seem
> to love those things, I've never had one. I'd consider it.
> What's the argument?
>
> nancy

There are only two arguments I can think of, and neither of which seem all
that relevant to me. One, the very early models tended to have the heating
elements burn out or the tank break down. Two, like your house hot water
heater, the unit uses cycling energy to keep the water hot, so waste of
electricity. Otherwise, no problems. The new units practically never
break down, and the minute amount of power they use is negligible. Also,
you do need an addtional hole in the sink it's intended for, unless you
don't mind having it installed coming up through the counter. Even in the
latter case, the spigot cam be mounted so that the water dispenses over the
sink. If you have a use for instant near-boiling water, they can't be
beat. Anything like tea, or things that have to be dissolved in hot water
are enough of a reason to invest in one. Two of the three I owned I
installed myself. Really very easy.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 5dys 18hrs
I've never had a flashback I didn't enjoy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 13 May 2008 06:08:29a, Michael "Dog3" told us...

> "Nancy Young" > dropped this
> : in rec.food.cooking
>

>> "Michael "Dog3"" > wrote
>>
>>> My contractor is trying to talk me out
>>> of putting in another spigot that shoots out that hot water. Not in
>>> this lifetime. I'd rather get rid of the microwave than the hot water
>>> dispenser. I use it for a LOT of stuff. Iced tea is one of those
>>> things.

>> I can't imagine why he (or she) is against it. People seem
>> to love those things, I've never had one. I'd consider it.
>> What's the argument?

> His reasoning is:
>
> 1) They only last 3-4 years (this one is 8 years old and is leaking under
> the cabinets but still works)
> 2) They can be messy and expensive if they break down, which he says they
> will. If they leak, they can ruin your cabinets (which this one is
> doing).
>
> I'd rather risk it
>
> Michael

The new models are much better, Michael, especially those from In-Sink-
Erator.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 5dys 17hrs 50mins
Useless Invention: Ice skate sandals,
for use in hot climates.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 13 May 2008 05:40:20a, Nancy Young told us...
>
>> "Michael "Dog3"" > wrote
>>
>>> My contractor is trying to talk me out
>>> of putting in another spigot that shoots out that hot water. Not in this
>>> lifetime. I'd rather get rid of the microwave than the hot water
>>> dispenser. I use it for a LOT of stuff. Iced tea is one of those

> things.
>> I can't imagine why he (or she) is against it. People seem
>> to love those things, I've never had one. I'd consider it.
>> What's the argument?
>>
>> nancy

> There are only two arguments I can think of, and neither of which seem all
> that relevant to me. One, the very early models tended to have the heating
> elements burn out or the tank break down. Two, like your house hot water
> heater, the unit uses cycling energy to keep the water hot, so waste of
> electricity. Otherwise, no problems. The new units practically never
> break down, and the minute amount of power they use is negligible. Also,
> you do need an addtional hole in the sink it's intended for, unless you
> don't mind having it installed coming up through the counter. Even in the
> latter case, the spigot cam be mounted so that the water dispenses over the
> sink. If you have a use for instant near-boiling water, they can't be
> beat. Anything like tea, or things that have to be dissolved in hot water
> are enough of a reason to invest in one. Two of the three I owned I
> installed myself. Really very easy.

And for anyone who can't install or doesn't want to install a permanent
device this is a nice option:

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-CW-P.../dp/B00009K3TK

They are really common in Japan. I think every house and office I was
ever in there had one. I bought an earlier version of the Zojirushi in
Japan before you could find them here and have been using it for a long
time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > dropped this

>> "Michael "Dog3"" > wrote
>>
>>> My contractor is trying to talk me out
>>> of putting in another spigot that shoots out that hot water. Not in
>>> this lifetime. I'd rather get rid of the microwave than the hot water
>>> dispenser. I use it for a LOT of stuff. Iced tea is one of those
>>> things.

>> I can't imagine why he (or she) is against it. People seem
>> to love those things, I've never had one. I'd consider it.
>> What's the argument?

> His reasoning is:
>
> 1) They only last 3-4 years (this one is 8 years old and is leaking under
> the cabinets but still works)
> 2) They can be messy and expensive if they break down, which he says they
> will. If they leak, they can ruin your cabinets (which this one is
> doing).

I read both of your replies, got it. I waited so long to get a new
kitchen, I can't have stuff leaking and ruining them. The sink
cabinet is lined with a piece of vinyl flooring. They sell small rolls
specifically for that purpose. If I'm having problems with leaking,
which I have had with the pipes on occasion, there is a small basin
under the pipes. I take no chances.

That's one reason I don't want water or ice cubes from my
refrigerator, all I need is one more leaky setup threat. But that's
another story.

Wayne, I have seen people drill holes in stainless sinks to accomodate
some new thing. For whatever reason, I thought you got a stainless
sink. Just a thought.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 May 2008 04:58:36 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>http://www.chemex-store.com/
>
>There are also other laboratory glass items (pitchers, beakers, and other
>adapted kitchen use items made by other companies. Really nice when you
>want glass and you also want durability.

Thanks for the visuals. I thought we were talking about something
I've never run across, but I've seen the ones with a "belt".... which
they call "fitted with a wood collar and leather tie".

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
> And for anyone who can't install or doesn't want to install a
> permanent device this is a nice option:

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-CW-P.../dp/B00009K3TK

> They are really common in Japan. I think every house and office I was
> ever in there had one. I bought an earlier version of the Zojirushi in
> Japan before you could find them here and have been using it for a
> long time.

I like the look of that! I don't need hot water all that often, though.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 13 May 2008 06:32:15a, Nancy Young told us...

> "Michael "Dog3"" > wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" > dropped this

>>> "Michael "Dog3"" > wrote

>>> I can't imagine why he (or she) is against it. People seem
>>> to love those things, I've never had one. I'd consider it.
>>> What's the argument?

>> His reasoning is:
>>
>> 1) They only last 3-4 years (this one is 8 years old and is leaking

under
>> the cabinets but still works)
>> 2) They can be messy and expensive if they break down, which he says

they
>> will. If they leak, they can ruin your cabinets (which this one is
>> doing).

> I read both of your replies, got it. I waited so long to get a new
> kitchen, I can't have stuff leaking and ruining them. The sink
> cabinet is lined with a piece of vinyl flooring. They sell small rolls
> specifically for that purpose. If I'm having problems with leaking,
> which I have had with the pipes on occasion, there is a small basin
> under the pipes. I take no chances.
>
> That's one reason I don't want water or ice cubes from my
> refrigerator, all I need is one more leaky setup threat. But that's
> another story.

I understand your fear. I've been exceedingly lucky. Never in any house
I've owned have I had any kind of leakage problem, kitchen or baths. If I
had, I would be suitably fearful.

> Wayne, I have seen people drill holes in stainless sinks to accomodate
> some new thing. For whatever reason, I thought you got a stainless
> sink. Just a thought.

You're right, it is SS, and it could be drilled or punched for the fixture.
But you know how those things go...rememebering that you want to do it,
then finding someone to do it, then getting it done. :-) I know I was
supposed to post kitchen pictures, but my digital camera has been ill, and
I have to either replace it or get it fixed. Another one of those
"things". One of these days... :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 5dys 15hrs 45mins
One hologram is worth 1,000,000,000 words.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 13 May 2008 07:08:39a, sf told us...

> On Tue, 13 May 2008 04:58:36 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>

>>http://www.chemex-store.com/
>>
>>There are also other laboratory glass items (pitchers, beakers, and other
>>adapted kitchen use items made by other companies. Really nice when you
>>want glass and you also want durability.

> Thanks for the visuals. I thought we were talking about something
> I've never run across, but I've seen the ones with a "belt".... which
> they call "fitted with a wood collar and leather tie".

You're welcome!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 5dys 15hrs 40mins
Remember the cold war? How pre-millennial!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote:
> "Michael "Dog3" wrote
>
> > � My contractor is trying to talk me out
> > of putting in another spigot that shoots out that hot water. Not in this
> > lifetime. I'd rather get rid of the microwave than the hot water
> > dispenser. I use it for a LOT of stuff. �Iced tea is one of those things.

> I can't imagine why he (or she) is against it. �People seem
> to love those things, I've never had one. �I'd consider it.
> What's the argument?

Plumbers know that as with all hot water heaters they provide
wonderful environment for bacteria to breed.

The new electric tea kettles are far superior; they cost much less to
buy, can be located/moved anywhere, and cost tremedously less to
operate, plus your water is actually boiling hot, not so with those
sink thingies... with those the water never gets past perhaps 180F and
as soon as you draw hot water off cold water instantaneously enters,
not terrible if all you want is a small cupful of tepid but if you
want to fill a pitcher the best you can hope for is pish vasser warm.
You don't see a lot of them because they're not practical, they're
more a designer kitchen thingie for those to display so people will
think that they can actually cook. They also present a serious
scalding risk to cats and small children. But mostly they're a
harbinger of filth... I wouldn't ingest water from those mini sceptic
tanks.

If you have an extra hole in your sink that you don't know what to do
with install an RO filter.

`
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 May 2008 15:43:21 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>> Goomba38 wrote:
>>> Many years ago I had a Pyrex drink pitcher. It was perfect for pouring
>>> boiling water over for iced tea. Needless to say I lost or broke
>>> it...and they are IMPOSSIBLE to find nowadays!
>>>
>>> If a pitcher is advertised as "dishwasher and microwave safe" would
>>> you assume you could pour boiling water into it?
>>>

>> http://www.target.com/Simplicity-Cla...338285-6697435
>>
>> Oooh, I love the style of that pitcher! I would assume you could pour
>> boiling water into it since dishwashers get pretty darned hot. And I can't
>> imagine why else you'd put a pitcher like that into a microwave? I don't
>> see the name of the Mfg (unless it's "Simplicity") otherwise I'd suggest
>> contacting them for clarification.
>>
>> Jill
>>

>I use a Fiesta pitcher for daily use, but need something larger. I wish
>Fiesta made a 3+ quart size. This one at Target would be handy for the
>size.
>Why in the world doesn't Pyrex sell pitchers anymore, I wonder!??!

they got ****ed off because people kept losing or breaking them.

your pal,
blake