Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Water purifier pitchers ??

Felice Friese wrote:

> Yep. I get the little charcoal specks in the upper portion but they never
> get into the filtered water. I love my Brita!
>
> Felice

We used Brita pitchers when living in Leinach, Germany. The village we
lived in had water so high in minerals you just about had to chip 'em
off the tub and tiles to clean the bathroom (LimeAway was a Godsend). We
could have had bottled water delivered from the beer man and he would
haul the cases up all those flights of stairs!
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Glasswalker" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 20:25:52 GMT, Glasswalker wrote:
>>
>>> When filling it, I would fill it at night before going to bed.
>>> They take a while to fill up.

>> I don't understand why it should be done at night. It takes 20-30
>> seconds to fill from the kitchen faucet, about... 3 quarts maybe?
>>
>> -sw

> Even the first time we filled it and placed it in the fridge, it took
> about an hour or so for the water to run through the filter. Couldn't
> have been build-up since it was the first time.
>
> -Glasswalker-

Did you soak the filter before installing, as stated in the instructions?

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Oh, I wasn't specifically talking about Louisiana. In fact, I get
>>> tired of people talking "New Orleans" when there are so many other
>>> areas that were hit hard. There are many more affected areas than
>>> just that. Mississippi has the gulf shores as does Alabama. But
>>> but I can see why you'd want to be near the Mayo Clinic.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure how much work there would be in South Carolina, though.
>>> And it's not really known for it's beaches unless you count the
>>> tourist areas, Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach. Expensive.
>>>

>> My aunt lives in Columbia

> Columbia, SC is WAAAAAY inland. There are no beaches there.
>
>> and my grandparents used to live on the
>> islands around Charleston, SC, so I'm familiar with it. My aunt said
>> there are tons of houses going up in her area

> The Charleston area has beaches. Again mostly tourist type places,
> although it's a gorgeous old city.
>
>> and she's looking into
>> it for us.

> That's nice. But don't expect to find a beach within an easy drive of
> Columbia. And is there work in Columbia?
>
> Jill

A beach isn't important if I'm on the East Coast. None of those are beaches
to me. I'm an unhappy, displaced West Coast girl.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>
>> We've been talking about sellling the house to the government at
>> quite a loss. They've been sending us offers to buy so that they
>> can turn around and make this area all HUD housing. It's probably
>> the only way we could sell it with the market the way it is here in
>> Florida. We're still weighing our options, but I don't think
>> Louisiana will be one of them. We're considering South Carolina.
>> That way, I'm still within reach of the Mayo Clinic.

> I thought your mother in law actually owned the house? Why not just
> move and let her rent it out to someone else. Cut your losses and go.
> There is work galore to be found in FL.

Yes, technically she does own the house, but she doesn't want to deal with
renters. It was her idea to off it to the government for HUD housing.

kili

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

yeah that's too long. I just got one and it takes about 5 or so minutes.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Glasswalker wrote:

> Even the first time we filled it and placed it in the fridge, it took
> about an hour or so for the water to run through the filter. Couldn't
> have been build-up since it was the first time.

Did you pre-soak the filter as directed?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 1:55 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> > "Zippy P" > wrote in message
> et...
> >> Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier
> >> pitchers. The pitchers with the filters in them?

> >> I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the
> >> store,
> >> and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.

> >> Comments?

> > Own or rent the house? If you own, put a filter in the kitchen cold
> > water line. If you rent long term, there will still be a convenience
> > payback over a year or three.

> Some rental properties won't let you install "improvements" like that, Ed.
> Where I live I can't install *anything* of a permanent nature without prior
> approval.

I recall from a relative a number of years back that she was using an
Amway (counter) reverse osmosis; it dripped, dripped, dripped into a
pitcher. You wouldn't necessarily have to hook it up, as I recall;
just plug it in. Put it anywhere you can find a space. Well, that's
hard to do at my house.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Zippy P" > wrote in message
t...
> Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier
> pitchers.
> The pitchers with the filters in them?
>
> I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the
> store,
> and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.
>
> Comments?
>
> Thx!

I tried the brita and it was ok, but eventually went to a filter that fits
on the tap in the kitchen. Just replace the filter when it's used up.

--
Helen
in

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

> On Jun 9, 1:55 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> > Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> > > "Zippy P" > wrote in message
> > et...

> > > Own or rent the house? If you own, put a filter in the kitchen cold
> > > water line. If you rent long term, there will still be a convenience
> > > payback over a year or three.

> > Some rental properties won't let you install "improvements" like that, Ed.
> > Where I live I can't install *anything* of a permanent nature without prior
> > approval.

> I recall from a relative a number of years back that she was using an
> Amway (counter) reverse osmosis; it dripped, dripped, dripped into a
> pitcher. You wouldn't necessarily have to hook it up, as I recall;
> just plug it in. Put it anywhere you can find a space. Well, that's
> hard to do at my house.
> Dee Dee

If it "dripped, dripped, dripped" in all probability it was not reverse
osmosis. RO membranes require a fair amount of water pressure to
operate. They also produce "reject" water which carries away the crud
the membrane won't pass.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 21:48:10 GMT, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>Dee Dee wrote:
>>
>> I recall from a relative a number of years back that she was using an
>> Amway (counter) reverse osmosis; it dripped, dripped, dripped into a
>> pitcher. You wouldn't necessarily have to hook it up, as I recall;
>> just plug it in. Put it anywhere you can find a space. Well, that's
>> hard to do at my house.
>> Dee Dee

>If it "dripped, dripped, dripped" in all probability it was not reverse
>osmosis. RO membranes require a fair amount of water pressure to
>operate. They also produce "reject" water which carries away the crud
>the membrane won't pass.

My grandfather distilled his own water. He had a mini-distillery in
the kitchen. He vaporized the water then condensed the vapor back
into water (it dripped through a tube). All the crud was left behind
in the first container.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> My grandfather distilled his own water. He had a mini-distillery
> in the kitchen. He vaporized the water then condensed
> the vapor back into water (it dripped through a tube).
> All the crud was left behind in the first container.

I've been thinking about getting one of those.
This one is only $99:

http://www.steamdistiller.com/

My main concerns are that it would heat up
the house and raise the humidity, which would
be especially a problem in the summer.

The house is already humid enough, year-round,
due to cooking, showering, etc. In the winter,
moisture condenses on the walls. In the summer,
humidity makes the heat more unbearable.

For the time being, I've been buying Arrowhead
spring water in plastic jugs. I thought I had
been buying gallon jugs, but recently they changed
their jug design, and yesterday I noticed that
the new jugs are only 3 liters, which shortchanges
me by over 26 fluid ounces (almost a quart).
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 5:48 pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
> Dee Dee wrote:

> > > et...

> > > Some rental properties won't let you install "improvements" like that, Ed.
> > > Where I live I can't install *anything* of a permanent nature without prior
> > > approval.

> > I recall from a relative a number of years back that she was using an
> > Amway (counter) reverse osmosis; it dripped, dripped, dripped into a
> > pitcher. You wouldn't necessarily have to hook it up, as I recall;
> > just plug it in. Put it anywhere you can find a space. Well, that's
> > hard to do at my house.
> > Dee Dee

> If it "dripped, dripped, dripped" in all probability it was not reverse
> osmosis. RO membranes require a fair amount of water pressure to
> operate. They also produce "reject" water which carries away the crud
> the membrane won't pass.
>
> Pete C.- Hide quoted text -

As I recall, it was something like this.
http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-4...o-systems.aspx

Actually my RO after it is all drained into a spaghetti pan for it's
water, and if I leave the faucet of the RO on, it 'does' drip, drip,
drip' into my pan as it is producing. That is what I am speaking
about.
Now, I don't know how the above RO works, but it was definitely a
counterop RO -- AND expensive.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 15:58:14 -0700, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>>
>> My grandfather distilled his own water. He had a mini-distillery
>> in the kitchen. He vaporized the water then condensed
>> the vapor back into water (it dripped through a tube).
>> All the crud was left behind in the first container.

>I've been thinking about getting one of those.
>This one is only $99:
>
>http://www.steamdistiller.com/
>
>My main concerns are that it would heat up
>the house and raise the humidity, which would
>be especially a problem in the summer.

Heat wasn't an issue. He was in San Diego county. Not a lot of
humidity there, but lots of heat in the summer and no steam escaped
that contraption even though it was home made. I doubt steam will
escape from the one above either. That would be inefficient and a
good reason to return it. As far as heat: I bet it will generate
about as much heat as a drip coffee maker.

>The house is already humid enough, year-round,
>due to cooking, showering, etc. In the winter,
>moisture condenses on the walls. In the summer,
>humidity makes the heat more unbearable.

You need a decent dehumidifier and while you're out shopping look into
replacing your dry wall with the new paperless type so you won't have
mold growing on the inside where you can't see it, but it can still
harm you.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 12:56:16 -0700, "Zippy P" >
wrote:

>Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier pitchers.
>The pitchers with the filters in them?
>
>I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the store,
>and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.

We used a Brita for some years and were very satisfied with it. Our
tap water is rather high in chlorine and the Brita produced an immense
improvement.

If memory serves, filters from Sam's Club ran about $6 each in
5-packs. I drink a fair portion of water--filled the pitcher at least
once if not twice a day, so we went through about 6-8 filters a year.
Reasonable cost.

Slightly more expensive but MUCH more convenient is the filter in the
new refrigerator. No pitcher-filling, cool water is delivered to the
fridge door, ice cubes (from filtered water) if I want ice water, and
a filter is about $30-40. It's supposed to be changed every six
months but our current filter has been in place for a year and the
water still tastes chlorine-free.

Bottom line: Pitchers work well (DO clean them weekly as has been
suggested by others). If the fridge has the capacity, a fridge filter
is more convenient and not much more expensive. I have no experience
with the RO systems others have described.

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 01:52:35 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>Supposedly drinking distilled water actually leeches minerals
>from your body. I have no opinion on whether it's true or not.

Why spread a rumor you have no opinion on?

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Supposedly drinking distilled water actually leeches minerals
> from your body. I have no opinion on whether it's true or not.

You get far more minerals from food. If you eat food,
you don't have any reason to worry about lack of minerals
in your drinking water -- except that you will not be
getting fluoride, which is important for your teeth,
but this is mostly important for children rather than
adults.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking
Stu Stu is offline

> Comments?

>Own or rent the house? If you own, put a filter in the kitchen cold water
>line. If you rent long term, there will still be a convenience payback over
>a year or three.

I agree with the in-line filter or reverse osmosis units if your
thinking long term. Even better if you get one that goes onto your
main inlet to the house, as it will increase the quality of all your
water. This can have a dramatic affect oon how long your water
consuming appliances last. I know someone who has had the same
dishwasher & washing machine for over 10 years and still going strong.
Mind you if I had really nice natural water like Jill, I think I would
stick with it.

Stu
www.cateringappliancesltd.co.uk

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Zippy P" > wrote:

> Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier pitchers.
> The pitchers with the filters in them?
>
> I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the store,
> and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.

I have a Britta. It works fine. I have never used any other brand of
water filter pitcher so I can't comment on the others. The filtering
benefits also depend a lot about your local tap water supply.

My tap water comes from an underground aquifer and it runs through my
building's 45 year old pipes. My water supply is heavy in lime content.
My water filter pitcher does a fantastic job of cleaning the water
before I drink it.

You might also look at other water filter options. Check Consumer
Reports. They did a review of different kinds of water filters a while
ago and I doubt that industry has changed much since that report. You
should be able to find the report at your local library or via CR's web
site at http://www.consumerreports.com if you don't mind paying their
nominal subscription fee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
none > wrote:

> Zippy P wrote:
> > Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier pitchers.
> > The pitchers with the filters in them?
> >
> > I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the store,
> > and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.
> >
> > Comments?
> >
> > Thx!
> >

> I gave up on my Brita pitcher when I started finding little black spots
> growing on the inside surface of the wretched thing. It filtered out the
> chlorine, but not the life forms the chlorine was there to subdue...

That means you probably didn't follow the directions. You need to wash
the pitcher out with soap and water between each filter change.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 15:28:31 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 19:58:47 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 01:52:35 GMT, Steve Wertz
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Supposedly drinking distilled water actually leeches minerals
>>>from your body. I have no opinion on whether it's true or not.

>> Why spread a rumor you have no opinion on?

>I don't consider it a rumor. It is a scientifically proven fact.
>What I don't want to comment on is whether it's something to be
>alarmed about.
>
>It's not like this isn't done here a dozen times a day -
>spreading news with no comment.
>
>You seem to like putting words into people mouths.

Do the words "supposedly" and "I have no opinion..." mean anything to
you?

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 11, 2:23?am, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 15:28:31 -0500, Steve Wertz
>

> > wrote:
> >On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 19:58:47 -0700, sf wrote:

> >> On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 01:52:35 GMT, Steve Wertz

> >> Why spread a rumor you have no opinion on?

> >I don't consider it a rumor. It is a scientifically proven fact.
> >What I don't want to comment on is whether it's something to be
> >alarmed about.

> >It's not like this isn't done here a dozen times a day -
> >spreading news with no comment.

> >You seem to like putting words into people mouths.

> Do the words "supposedly" and "I have no opinion..." mean anything to
> you?

Actually any water sucks minerals from the body, tap water or
distilled *exactlly* the same.. the quatity of minerals in water (even
if none)
hasn't a whit to do with retention or expulsion. Claiming that
distilled water sucks out minerals implies that tap water does not,
which has no truth whatsoever because it assumes the body contains no
minerals from any other source (and then you'd be dead)... truth is
the body relies on eating foods for minerals and the body is designed
to maintain a particular mineral balance *over time* regardless what
is consumed... the body stores most nutrients for quite a long time,
and especially minerals. The body does not rely on water for
minerals. When you prove that you can sweat and pee distilled water
then I will believe your lunacy.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 11:00?pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>
> > Supposedly drinking distilled water actually leeches minerals
> > from your body. I have no opinion on whether it's true or not.

> You get far more minerals from food. If you eat food,
> you don't have any reason to worry about lack of minerals
> in your drinking water -- except that you will not be
> getting fluoride, which is important for your teeth,
> but this is mostly important for children rather than
> adults.

You finally posted the simple truth. But when it comes to fluoride
it's important to realize that all those on private wells need to
discuss treatments with their dentists... and not all municipal water
supplies add fluoride either. I've noticed that folks living here in
hillybilly rural America have very rotten teeth and lose their teeh at
a much younger age than in urban areas. Fortunately for a small town
we have a modern dental center (four dentists + full staff). I go
every 4 months for a routine cleaning and exam. I've had discussions
with the hygienist about this very thing, fluoride. She has also
infoirmed me that a good portion of the rural population doesn't own a
toothbrush... they only seek a dentist when their teeth ache so badly
that they can't function. She said there are many times when they
have to turn these people away, they won't work on such filthy
mouths. I can't imagine not brushing, flossing, and rinsing before
going to a dentist. I'm 64 and have all my own teeth and they are in
very good shape, other than routine cleanings I haven't needed any
dental work in like ten years... only due to proper maintenence. I
don't understand the difficulty, other than like three minutes three
times a day brushing, flossing, and rinsing costs "0". With every
dentist visit I leave with a new toothbrush, a big spool of floss, a
tube of toothpaste, a bottle of mouthwash, and assorted tooth
maintenence implements with extra refills. I have dental insurance,
pays for two of my three cleanings each year, but even with no
insurance it only costs $50 for the routine cleaning and exam... a
very small price to pay to keep ones teeth. And I see these broken
toothed filthy mouthed morons spending more than $50 a shot buying
scratch-off lottery tickets.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Supposedly drinking distilled water actually leeches minerals
> from your body.

You have leeches... probably sucked all the brain cells (2) out of
your head. LOL

Sheldon Leach

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
But when it comes to fluoride
> it's important to realize that all those on private wells need to
> discuss treatments with their dentists... and not all municipal water
> supplies add fluoride either. I've noticed that folks living here in
> hillybilly rural America have very rotten teeth and lose their teeh at
> a much younger age than in urban areas.

Breastfed babies past are sometimes given fluoride drops to compensate
when they don't generally drink water and would miss out on the fluoride
benefits for their developing teeth. Bottle fed babies usually obtain
the fluoride when their formulas or juices are mixed with city water.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 6:58?pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> sf wrote:
>
> > My grandfather distilled his own water. He had a mini-distillery
> > in the kitchen. He vaporized the water then condensed
> > the vapor back into water (it dripped through a tube).
> > All the crud was left behind in the first container.

> I've been thinking about getting one of those.
> This one is only $99:
>
> http://www.steamdistiller.com/
>
> My main concerns are that it would heat up
> the house and raise the humidity, which would
> be especially a problem in the summer.
>
> The house is already humid enough, year-round,
> due to cooking, showering, etc. In the winter,
> moisture condenses on the walls. In the summer,
> humidity makes the heat more unbearable.
>
> For the time being, I've been buying Arrowhead
> spring water in plastic jugs. I thought I had
> been buying gallon jugs, but recently they changed
> their jug design, and yesterday I noticed that
> the new jugs are only 3 liters, which shortchanges
> me by over 26 fluid ounces (almost a quart).

Making distilled water is not nearly as efficient as an RO. An RO
consumes no electric and wastes very little water. The wash out water
is grey water, about 4 liters for every liter of filtered water
produced, how many liters do you think you will drink in a day, most
not even a gallon.... people waste far more than four gallons of water
with their normal routines... how many take a water saver shower; wet
down, shut the water, lather up, and then a quick rinse... you know
yoose all take hotel showers... you all just let the water run, full
out... by the time you wash your butt and shampoo you use near 50
gallons for each shower... if not that you emptied the hot water tank
you'd still be showering.

And I don't know what you pay for your bottled water but I bet more
than a buck a gallon... my RO water costs less than 5 cents a
gallon... and so what if it "wastes" four gallons, that's like three
terlit flushes with a water saver tank... I flush my toilet after each
use, perhaps you don't.

And the grey water produced from my RO is not wasted. My house has a
French drain, so all the grey water from my RO, water softener, and my
three dehumidiers releases into the drain in my basement floor, from
there it is piped outside where it emerges some two hundred feet from
my house, where it trickles onto my lawn and slightly downhill to
water a perennial bed and and my two crabapple trees. And before any
of yoose claim that water is polluting, let me assure it's not... that
grey water is cleaner than the water running off my roof, into the
four downspouts, into underground pipes that let out onto my lawn
about a hundred feet from my house and again water more of my
plants... even on the hottest days of summer I never have to drag the
garden hose way out there... have any of you tried pulling 200 feet of
5/8" garden hose that distance, even empty of water it's a killer, and
then you gotta wind it up... last year I was hauling 600' of hose to
water some newly planted trees during a drought, hot as hell out
there, talk about sweat. That's just one tiny chore I do that ensures
I can eat all I want and not diet... that's my brand of water
aerobics, it's free, works better than any gym membership, I get paid
back triple with gorgeous trees. I'm out in the fresh air, and get to
observe beautiful birds looking for a drink, and don't have to smell
and look at all those unbathed blubbery bodies eminating putrid stench
from every cavernous crevice... yeah, they don't eat any carbs but
they sure look like a lotta lard. LOL

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 11, 10:30?am, Goomba38 > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> But when it comes to fluoride
>
> > it's important to realize that all those on private wells need to
> > discuss treatments with their dentists... and not all municipal water
> > supplies add fluoride either. I've noticed that folks living here in
> > hillybilly rural America have very rotten teeth and lose their teeh at
> > a much younger age than in urban areas.

> Breastfed babies past are sometimes given fluoride drops to compensate
> when they don't generally drink water and would miss out on the fluoride
> benefits for their developing teeth. Bottle fed babies usually obtain
> the fluoride when their formulas or juices are mixed with city water.

You miss the main point, not all municipal water contains fluoride...
depends where one lives.

Where I lived on Long Island (Suffolk County), the Suffolk county
Water Authority adds no fluoride... there is no fluoridated water in
all of Suffolk County, that's a population of 1.5 million. In fact
not two minutes ago I phoned their office to check if that has changed
in the four years since I left, nope, still no fluoride.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> You miss the main point, not all municipal water contains fluoride...
> depends where one lives.
>
> Where I lived on Long Island (Suffolk County), the Suffolk county
> Water Authority adds no fluoride... there is no fluoridated water in
> all of Suffolk County, that's a population of 1.5 million. In fact
> not two minutes ago I phoned their office to check if that has changed
> in the four years since I left, nope, still no fluoride.
>
> Sheldon

No Shel, I didn't miss the point. I just wanted to mention that fluoride
drops exist.
Or maybe just to drag breastfeeding up again..... heheheheheheh
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 11, 11:59?am, Goomba38 > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > You miss the main point, not all municipal water contains fluoride...
> > depends where one lives.

> > Where I lived on Long Island (Suffolk County), the Suffolk county
> > Water Authority adds no fluoride... there is no fluoridated water in
> > all of Suffolk County, that's a population of 1.5 million. In fact
> > not two minutes ago I phoned their office to check if that has changed
> > in the four years since I left, nope, still no fluoride.

> > Sheldon

> No Shel, I didn't miss the point. I just wanted to mention that fluoride
> drops exist.

That was the first topic I covered; "But when it comes to fluoride
it's important to realize that all those on private wells need to
discuss treatments with their dentists".

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 12, 2:00?pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 06:30:58 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
> > ually any water sucks minerals from the body, tap water or
> > distilled *exactlly* the same.. the quatity of minerals in water (even
> > if none)
> > hasn't a whit to do with retention or expulsion. Claiming that
> > distilled water sucks out minerals implies that tap water does not,
> > which has no truth whatsoever because it assumes the body contains no
> > minerals from any other source (and then you'd be dead)... truth is
> > the body relies on eating foods for minerals and the body is designed
> > to maintain a particular mineral balance *over time* regardless what
> > is consumed... the body stores most nutrients for quite a long time,
> > and especially minerals. The body does not rely on water for
> > minerals. When you prove that you can sweat and pee distilled water
> > then I will believe your lunacy.

> <yawn> Judging by past performance, this is probably bullshit
> too. We;re all too tired of pointing it out to you and passerbys
> anymore.

Anyone who introduces themself as "we" rather than *I* has no spine,
and anyone who speaks for other's as in "We're all" is a liar... do
you really think *I* didn't know you're a prevaricating jellyfish... I
imagine most think Steven Sqwertz' middle name is Smarmy Slug.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Jun 8, 12:56 pm, "Zippy P" > wrote:
> Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier pitchers.
> The pitchers with the filters in them?
>
> I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the store,
> and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.
>
> Comments?
>
> Thx!

We live in Arizona, so drinking lots of water is a must. We have had
2 Brita pitchers in our fridge for 5 years now, and we love them! The
flavor of the water is great, and having two pitchers usually means
that we always have cold water ready to go. You can usually pick up
the filters on sale and they don't need to be changed too often (about
every 3 months), so it's a cheap alternative to buying bottled water.
-- As mentioned above, you do need to make sure you have room in your
fridge as they obviously take up space.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Jun 8, 12:56 pm, "Zippy P" > wrote:
> Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier pitchers.
> The pitchers with the filters in them?
>
> I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the store,
> and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.

I'm lucky, living in St. Louis, who was just judged as teh city with the
best tasting water in the United States. I never did get why people
want bottled water, and now I know why I never got the difference.
Here, there isn't any.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Jul 2, 8:58?pm, jt august > wrote:
> On Jun 8, 12:56 pm, "Zippy P" > wrote:
>
> > Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier pitchers.
> > The pitchers with the filters in them?

> > I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the store,
> > and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.

> I'm lucky, living in St. Louis, who was just judged as teh city with the
> best tasting water in the United States. I never did get why people
> want bottled water, and now I know why I never got the difference.
> Here, there isn't any.

Pure water should have no taste... the fact that your water tastes
"good" (whatever good is) is indicative that it contains lots of
crap. People become used to the taste of the water that comes out of
their faucet (same as they do the foods they eat). But that they
learn to like crap is nothing other than acquiring ones taste
preferences by educating their palate. Having an educated palate does
not mean one doesn't have taste in ass disease, in fact quite the
opposite... one can definitely learn to prefer the taste of crappy
water

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 00:58:16 GMT, jt august > wrote:

>I'm lucky, living in St. Louis, who was just judged as teh city with the
>best tasting water in the United States.

Interesting -- by whom? New York has won every recent test/poll I've seen in the
last fiteen or more years. Where did NYC finish in this judging?

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

pltrgyst wrote on Mon, 02 Jul 2007 22:49:57 -0400:

??>> I'm lucky, living in St. Louis, who was just judged as teh
??>> city with the best tasting water in the United States.

p> Interesting -- by whom? New York has won every recent
p> test/poll I've seen in the last fiteen or more years. Where
p> did NYC finish in this judging?

I might add that some Missourans (is that the word?) don't seem
to get around much :-) Wasn't there a minor scandal a few years
ago when the bottles of something like "Adirondack Spring" water
were found to being filled from tap water in Brooklyn?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Jun 8, 3:56 pm, "Zippy P" > wrote:
> Anybody have any experience with Brita and/or Pur water purifier pitchers.
> The pitchers with the filters in them?
>
> I like non-tap water but don't like lugging big bottles home from the store,
> and don't want to pay $30 a month for the home delivery stuff.
>
> Comments?
>
> Thx!

Has anyone ever used this? Or even seen it and decided against it?
Or heard anything about it previously. Looks interesting; however,
storing water in plastic?

http://tinyurl.com/2n3aew
Berkey Light® Water Purifiers & Berkey® Stainless Purifiers & Filters

This is a reputable company, AFAIK, selling these.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Oh no James. I recently purchased a Brita pitcher at Costco and it
comes with an electronic filter changer indicator.

Look at the Brita WEB site and you will find a bunch of models with
the indicators. See the little window boxes on the top of the lids.

http://staging.sftribalddb.com/brita/index_us.html
you may have to click on "Products"

If that URL doesn't work for you just go to
http://www.brita.net/#
and navigate through till you reach the Products

Gary Hayman
Greenbelt, Maryland

On Jul 2, 10:47 am, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> wrote on Mon, 02 Jul 2007 14:35:15 -0000:
>

> I have used a Brita pitcher for more than 10 years for drinking
> water and making coffee. I keep it in the fridge and it's
> certainly an improvement over local tap water. The coldness may
> be part of the better taste but the chlorinated water from the
> Potomac river is pretty bad at room temperature.The only
> drawback is a lack of an indicator for replacement of the carbon
> filter. Brita has tried a few devices but they can't have been
> too successful since they no longer supply them.
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

zydecogary wrote on Wed, 04 Jul 2007 02:52:11 -0000:

z> Look at the Brita WEB site and you will find a bunch of
z> models with the indicators. See the little window boxes on
z> the top of the lids.

z> http://staging.sftribalddb.com/brita/index_us.html
z> you may have to click on "Products"

z> If that URL doesn't work for you just go to
z> http://www.brita.net/#
z> and navigate through till you reach the Products

Must be new! I did not see them last time I looked. I wonder if
they will work better than the previous mechanical counter that
gave after two cartridges?

Jim Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
pltrgyst > wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 00:58:16 GMT, jt august > wrote:
>

> >I'm lucky, living in St. Louis, who was just judged as teh city with the
> >best tasting water in the United States.

> Interesting -- by whom? New York has won every recent test/poll I've seen in
> the
> last fiteen or more years. Where did NYC finish in this judging?

I chose an article from outside STL so as to verify that this wasn't
just a local claim. From WTVN in Dayton OH,

http://www.wdtn.com/Global/story.asp?S=6707491

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

zydecogary > wrote:
>Oh no James. I recently purchased a Brita pitcher at Costco and it
>comes with an electronic filter changer indicator.

I think you mean "a three-month timer"...

(Yes, there are four or five bars, and when you "reset" it you don't have
to "fill it all the way up", but it really isn't able to detect how much
water has gone through the filter, much less how much stuff has been
filtered out! We have one, and the indicator *is* a useful reminder
for changing the filter, but it doesn't have any of the features I'd
really like)

Donald

Water purifier packet U.S. Janet B. General Cooking 0 20-03-2017 08:54 PM
Unbreakable GLASS pitchers Goomba38 General Cooking 65 15-05-2008 12:48 AM
gravity water purifier taopants Tea 3 23-07-2007 01:35 PM
Water purifier pitchers ?? Zippy P Cooking Equipment 57 05-07-2007 05:54 AM
Water filter pitchers (e.g., Brita) [email protected] General 2 09-05-2006 09:21 AM