Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default PBS Rocks

Watched a recorded America's Test Kitchen today, one of the tips was to
freeze leftover wine (& stock) in small amounts, ice cube size for cooking.
We are only two and I'm not supposed to drink much. And I *hate* throwing
out good booze! This would be great for us. I already have stockcubes.
I've gone back to some of the PBS shows and welcome the low key approach.
There is only so much cheerleader giggly high-jinx I can take making dinner.
Sometimes I wonder just how much high test coffee is being served at the
FoodTV studio.
I put Mexico with Rick Bayless on my 'to record' list, too.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 6:56 pm, "The Joneses" > wrote:
> Watched a recorded America's Test Kitchen today, one of the tips was to
> freeze leftover wine (& stock) in small amounts, ice cube size for cooking.

I've been freezing my leftover wine into cubes, for years. . .It comes
in quite handy for making wonderful sauces, etc. The other night, I
made a nice Port Wine reduction sauce, from some of the cubes, and it
turned out great.

I know, I know. . .Some folks simply can't understand that someone
would have leftover wine;-)

But it does happen!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 6:56 pm, "The Joneses" > wrote:
> Watched a recorded America's Test Kitchen today, one of the tips was to
> freeze leftover wine (& stock) in small amounts, ice cube size for cooking.
> We are only two and I'm not supposed to drink much. And I *hate* throwing
> out good booze! This would be great for us. I already have stockcubes.
> I've gone back to some of the PBS shows and welcome the low key approach.
> There is only so much cheerleader giggly high-jinx I can take making dinner.
> Sometimes I wonder just how much high test coffee is being served at the
> FoodTV studio.
> I put Mexico with Rick Bayless on my 'to record' list, too.
> Edrena

Great idea- so easy I never thought of it! I did think of doing pesto
like that, tho.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> On May 23, 6:56 pm, "The Joneses" > wrote:
>> Watched a recorded America's Test Kitchen today, one of the tips was to
>> freeze leftover wine (& stock) in small amounts, ice cube size for cooking.
>> We are only two and I'm not supposed to drink much. And I *hate* throwing
>> out good booze! This would be great for us. I already have stockcubes.
>> I've gone back to some of the PBS shows and welcome the low key approach.
>> There is only so much cheerleader giggly high-jinx I can take making dinner.
>> Sometimes I wonder just how much high test coffee is being served at the
>> FoodTV studio.
>> I put Mexico with Rick Bayless on my 'to record' list, too.
>> Edrena

> Great idea- so easy I never thought of it! I did think of doing pesto
> like that, tho.

I've heard of people doing that with lemon or lime juice as well as egg
parts when you are only using one or the other and don't want to waste
the rest.

--
Caryn
Caryn Nadelberg - Mommy to Sam and Queen of the May

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On May 23, 6:56 pm, "The Joneses" > wrote:
>> Watched a recorded America's Test Kitchen today, one of the tips was to
>> freeze leftover wine (& stock) in small amounts, ice cube size for
>> cooking.
>> Edrena

> Great idea- so easy I never thought of it! I did think of doing pesto
> like that, tho.

I do pesto in 4 oz mason jars using the vacuum thingy to seal a lid on top.
The pesto seems to keep better with the air sucked out. I've got a window
box full of basil that should be ready any day now. I just love that pesto!
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Joneses wrote:

> Watched a recorded America's Test Kitchen today, one of the tips was to
> freeze leftover wine (& stock) in small amounts, ice cube size for cooking.
> We are only two and I'm not supposed to drink much. And I *hate* throwing
> out good booze! This would be great for us. I already have stockcubes.
> I've gone back to some of the PBS shows and welcome the low key approach.
> There is only so much cheerleader giggly high-jinx I can take making dinner.
> Sometimes I wonder just how much high test coffee is being served at the
> FoodTV studio.
> I put Mexico with Rick Bayless on my 'to record' list, too.
> Edrena

I just buy those little 4-packs of Sutter Home wine.
Usually I use all or most of one small bottle. That
works out great and is less trouble than freezing and
takes up no room in the freezer, of which I have none!
The wine is decent enough for cooking.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Joneses wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>On May 23, 6:56 pm, "The Joneses" > wrote:
>>
>>>Watched a recorded America's Test Kitchen today, one of the tips was to
>>>freeze leftover wine (& stock) in small amounts, ice cube size for
>>>cooking.
>>>Edrena

>>Great idea- so easy I never thought of it! I did think of doing pesto
>>like that, tho.
>>

> I do pesto in 4 oz mason jars using the vacuum thingy to seal a lid on top.
> The pesto seems to keep better with the air sucked out. I've got a window
> box full of basil that should be ready any day now. I just love that pesto!
> Edrena

I freeze pesto on a bun sheet, then use a pizza slicer to cut it into
squares that fit into a quart vacuum bag. Being frozen the Tilia will
pull a vacuum quickly and the pesto will keep, well! I don't know how
long but I've eaten it after being frozen three years and it was still
good. YMMV

George

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally > wrote in
:

> The Joneses wrote:
>
>> Watched a recorded America's Test Kitchen today, one of the tips was
>> to freeze leftover wine (& stock) in small amounts, ice cube size for
>> cooking. We are only two and I'm not supposed to drink much. And I
>> *hate* throwing out good booze! This would be great for us. I already
>> have stockcubes.
>> I've gone back to some of the PBS shows and welcome the low key
>> approach.
>> There is only so much cheerleader giggly high-jinx I can take making
>> dinner. Sometimes I wonder just how much high test coffee is being
>> served at the FoodTV studio.
>> I put Mexico with Rick Bayless on my 'to record' list, too.
>> Edrena

> I just buy those little 4-packs of Sutter Home wine.
> Usually I use all or most of one small bottle. That
> works out great and is less trouble than freezing and
> takes up no room in the freezer, of which I have none!
> The wine is decent enough for cooking.
>
> Kate

Those 1 cup (8 oz) or airplane sized servings of wine either in a bottle
or a tetra-pack work well in cooking if you aren't a wine drinker. I use
them when I require a cup or so of wine in a recipe.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...
> Kate Connally > wrote in
> :
>
> > The Joneses wrote:
> >
> >> Watched a recorded America's Test Kitchen today, one of the tips was
> >> to freeze leftover wine (& stock) in small amounts, ice cube size for
> >> cooking. We are only two and I'm not supposed to drink much. And I
> >> *hate* throwing out good booze! This would be great for us. I already
> >> have stockcubes.
> >> I've gone back to some of the PBS shows and welcome the low key
> >> approach.
> >> There is only so much cheerleader giggly high-jinx I can take making
> >> dinner. Sometimes I wonder just how much high test coffee is being
> >> served at the FoodTV studio.
> >> I put Mexico with Rick Bayless on my 'to record' list, too.
> >> Edrena

> > I just buy those little 4-packs of Sutter Home wine.
> > Usually I use all or most of one small bottle. That
> > works out great and is less trouble than freezing and
> > takes up no room in the freezer, of which I have none!
> > The wine is decent enough for cooking.
> >
> > Kate
> >

> Those 1 cup (8 oz) or airplane sized servings of wine either in a bottle
> or a tetra-pack work well in cooking if you aren't a wine drinker. I use
> them when I require a cup or so of wine in a recipe.

I've been doing a little wine tour the past few weeks, testing out not
only varieties of wine but specific vintages, etc.

This has led to very interesting food pairings.

Rocks in your oven? [email protected] General Cooking 9 24-03-2009 06:36 AM
On the Rocks Dimitri General Cooking 3 22-09-2008 02:51 PM
Lava Rocks Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 24-08-2008 03:55 AM
Charlotte rocks Serene Sprat General Cooking 0 03-04-2008 04:19 AM
Hamburger Rocks? Spindler of Kittens Recipes 0 29-03-2006 04:40 PM