Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mom's Kitchen Tools

I was making homemade tortillas tonight, forming them into taco shells
as they fried, when I thought for the million and a half time that I
sure wish I had my mother's gizmo for draining taco shells after they
came out of the hot oil. It was something like a very small jelly roll
pan with a fitted rack. I drain the shells on an old towel, which
works, but I sure wish I'd snagged Mother's gizmo when I had the
chance.

Anyone else have a kitchen tool a parent or grandparent or whomever
used that you wish you had now?

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd...oh, and grandma's worn cleaver <sigh>

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 May 2007 19:50:08 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>I was making homemade tortillas tonight, forming them into taco shells
>as they fried, when I thought for the million and a half time that I
>sure wish I had my mother's gizmo for draining taco shells after they
>came out of the hot oil. It was something like a very small jelly roll
>pan with a fitted rack. I drain the shells on an old towel, which
>works, but I sure wish I'd snagged Mother's gizmo when I had the
>chance.
>
>Anyone else have a kitchen tool a parent or grandparent or whomever
>used that you wish you had now?
>
>Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd...oh, and grandma's worn cleaver <sigh>

It looks like a toast holder?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
>I was making homemade tortillas tonight, forming them into taco shells
> as they fried, when I thought for the million and a half time that I
> sure wish I had my mother's gizmo for draining taco shells after they
> came out of the hot oil. It was something like a very small jelly roll
> pan with a fitted rack. I drain the shells on an old towel, which
> works, but I sure wish I'd snagged Mother's gizmo when I had the
> chance.
>
> Anyone else have a kitchen tool a parent or grandparent or whomever
> used that you wish you had now?

Her canning pots and her jelly strainer. My Mama has them now, maybe I can
hint for a hand me down this way in a fw more years.

Cindi

> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd...oh, and grandma's worn cleaver <sigh>
>
> --
> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as
> old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had been as full as the
> waitress's, it would have been a very good dinner."
>
> -- Duncan Hines
>
> To reply, replace "spaminator" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message

<Snip>
> Anyone else have a kitchen tool a parent or grandparent or whomever
> used that you wish you had now?
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd...oh, and grandma's worn cleaver <sigh>

My "Russian Grandmother" had a wooden mold for the Russian Easter sweet cheese
called Paskha. Recipe to follow

Dimitri

PASKHA
(Easter cheese cake with candied fruit and nuts)
To serve 12 to 14

2 pounds of large-curd cottage cheese (sometimes called pot cheese
½ pound of unsalted butter, softened
½ cup of chopped candied fruit and rinds
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 cup of heavy cream
3 egg yolks
4 cup of granulated sugar
½ cup of finely chopped blanched almonds

GARNISH
¼ to ½ cup of whole blanched almonds, toasted
¼ to ½ cup of candied fruit and rinds

Drain the cottage cheese of all its moisture by setting it in a colander,
covering it wit cheesecloth or a kitchen towel, and weighting it down with a
heavy pot or a heavy cutting board. Let the cheese drain for 2 or 3 hours.
Meanwhile, combine the candied fruits and vanilla extract in a small mixing
bowl, stir together thoroughly and let the mixture rest for 1 hour. With the
back of a wooden spoon, rub the cheese through a fine sieve set over a large
bowl. Beat the softened butter thoroughly into the cheese, and set aside.

Over high heat, heat the cream in a small saucepan until small bubbles form
around the edge of the pan. Set aside. In a mixing bowl beat the eggs and sugar
together with a whisk or a rotary or electric beater until they thicken enough
to run sluggishly off the beater when it is lifted out of the bowl. Still
beating, slowly add the hot cream in a thin stream, then return the mixture to
the pan. Stirring constantly, cook over low heat until the mixture thickens to a
custard consistency. Do not allow it to boil or it may curdle. Off the heat stir
in the candied fruit and set the pan in a large bowl filled with ice cubes
covered with 2 inches of water. Stir the custard constantly with a metal spoon
until it is completely cooled, then mix it gently but thoroughly into the cheese
mixture and stir in the chopped almonds.

Although the Russians use a special form for this dish in which to shape this
Easter dessert, a 2-quart clay flower pot with an opening in the bottom is a
good substitute. Set the pot with in a shallow soup plate and line it with a
double thickness of damp cheesecloth, cut long enough so that it hangs at least
2 inches over and around the top of the pot. Pour in the batter and fold the
ends of the cheesecloth lightly over the top. Set a weight directly on top of
the cheesecloth---perhaps a pan filled with 2 or 3 heavy cans of food---and
chill in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours, or overnight, until the dessert
is firm.

To unmold, unwrap the cheesecloth from the top, invert a flat serving plate on
top of the pot and, grasping the two firmly together, turn them over. The
dessert will slide out easily. Gently peep off the cheesecloth and decorate the
top and sides of the cake as fancifully as you like with the almonds and candied

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> I was making homemade tortillas tonight, forming them into taco shells
> as they fried, when I thought for the million and a half time that I
> sure wish I had my mother's gizmo for draining taco shells after they
> came out of the hot oil. It was something like a very small jelly roll
> pan with a fitted rack. I drain the shells on an old towel, which
> works, but I sure wish I'd snagged Mother's gizmo when I had the
> chance.
>
> Anyone else have a kitchen tool a parent or grandparent or whomever
> used that you wish you had now?

Mom's been gone for over 30 years, so I hardly remember, but I sure wish
I had my MIL's Catherineholm casseroles and her old cookbooks.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 9, 9:50 pm, Terry Pulliam Burd >
wrote:
> I was making homemade tortillas tonight, forming them into taco shells
> as they fried, when I thought for the million and a half time that I
> sure wish I had my mother's gizmo for draining taco shells after they
> came out of the hot oil. It was something like a very small jelly roll
> pan with a fitted rack. I drain the shells on an old towel, which
> works, but I sure wish I'd snagged Mother's gizmo when I had the
> chance.
>
> Anyone else have a kitchen tool a parent or grandparent or whomever
> used that you wish you had now?
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd...oh, and grandma's worn cleaver <sigh>
>
> --
> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as
> old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had been as full as the
> waitress's, it would have been a very good dinner."
>
> -- Duncan Hines
>
> To reply, replace "spaminator" with "cox"

I wish I had my mom's "bread board," which was a giant slab of
whatever wood, which she used only for pastry and bread. It was quite
thin (about a half inch) so it wasn't very heavy. I have one I
acquired from a scrap piece of lumber, but it isn't the same. Also,
until last year (when I found a new version) I wished I had one of her
mixing spoons - tight coils - openly shaped like the bowl of a spoon,
at the end of a handle - there is nothing better for folding egg
whites into a batter.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> I was making homemade tortillas tonight, forming them into taco shells
> as they fried, when I thought for the million and a half time that I
> sure wish I had my mother's gizmo for draining taco shells after they
> came out of the hot oil. It was something like a very small jelly roll
> pan with a fitted rack. I drain the shells on an old towel, which
> works, but I sure wish I'd snagged Mother's gizmo when I had the
> chance.
>
> Anyone else have a kitchen tool a parent or grandparent or whomever
> used that you wish you had now?
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd...oh, and grandma's worn cleaver <sigh>
>
> --
> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as
> old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had been as full as the
> waitress's, it would have been a very good dinner."
>
> -- Duncan Hines
>
> To reply, replace "spaminator" with "cox"

Have you looked on Ebay for one? They have some really neat vintage
(and new) kitchen stuff.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote:
> Anyone else have a kitchen tool a parent or grandparent or whomever
> used that you wish you had now?

I think I snagged most of the kitchen things I wanted from my parents. I'm still
lusting over one pot my mother used. She is holding it for me.

Sometimes you just don't know the value of things your parents gave you. I've
got a matched set of three FireKing turquoise glass mixing bowls made in the
late 1950s that my mother gave me some 30 years ago. It was either me or
Goodwill. When that ovenware thread came up a little while ago, I decided to
look up these bowls. To my amazement, the exact same set went for $76 on eBay
earlier this week. You just never know! I guess they went to the 1950s retro
crowd.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> I was making homemade tortillas tonight, forming them into taco shells
> as they fried, when I thought for the million and a half time that I
> sure wish I had my mother's gizmo for draining taco shells after they
> came out of the hot oil. It was something like a very small jelly roll
> pan with a fitted rack. I drain the shells on an old towel, which
> works, but I sure wish I'd snagged Mother's gizmo when I had the
> chance.
>
> Anyone else have a kitchen tool a parent or grandparent or whomever
> used that you wish you had now?
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd...oh, and grandma's worn cleaver <sigh>

I have grandma's cast iron griddle and I use it to make cornmeal "johnny
cakes" and also her scones. Works well on a grill, as well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> Anyone else have a kitchen tool a parent or grandparent or whomever
> used that you wish you had now?
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd...oh, and grandma's worn cleaver <sigh>

Yes. My mother's tart pan - rounded indentations for 12 tarts, each
about half the depth of a muffin. She used it for jam tarts and for
little mincemeat tarts. Also, her steamer - so I could try and copy
the steamed pudding desserts she used to make and which I loved. It
hurts that *I* was the one who threw them away - "these are old, so I'll
just get new ones". Except they're no longer obtainable.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in
:

> Anyone else have a kitchen tool a parent or grandparent or whomever
> used that you wish you had now?
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd...oh, and grandma's worn cleaver <sigh>

Aunt Betty's Farberware rotisserie. It does a wonderful job of spit-
roasting a bird, ribs, or a slab of beef, and it's great cat television
too.

Mark.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 May 2007 19:50:08 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>Anyone else have a kitchen tool a parent or grandparent or whomever
>used that you wish you had now?

I wish I had my mom's old cast iron corncob shaped cornbread pan. It
turned out the most perfect sticks of cornbread with just the right
amount of crispy outside and mealy inside.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> Anyone else have a kitchen tool a parent or grandparent or whomever
> used that you wish you had now?

My mom has this huge aluminum oval pot that she cooks a few gallons
of her spaghetti sauce in at a time. It's heavy as hell, and I love
it. I will probably snag it if she dies before it does -- it's been
around since I was little, so it's likely to outlive her.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>
>> Anyone else have a kitchen tool a parent or grandparent or whomever
>> used that you wish you had now?

> My mom has this huge aluminum oval pot that she cooks a few gallons of
> her spaghetti sauce in at a time. It's heavy as hell, and I love it. I
> will probably snag it if she dies before it does -- it's been around
> since I was little, so it's likely to outlive her.

It sounds like a great vessel, but are you sure it's aluminum?

Heavy as hell... gallons of spaghetti sauce at a time...

Are you sure it's not stainless steel, or clad?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote:
> Serene wrote:
>> Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone else have a kitchen tool a parent or grandparent or whomever
>>> used that you wish you had now?

>> My mom has this huge aluminum oval pot that she cooks a few gallons of
>> her spaghetti sauce in at a time. It's heavy as hell, and I love it. I
>> will probably snag it if she dies before it does -- it's been around
>> since I was little, so it's likely to outlive her.

> It sounds like a great vessel, but are you sure it's aluminum?

Yeah, because for a while, I wouldn't use it because of the aluminum
scare. Mom is gonna look at the brand name when she gets home from
work and I'll try to get you a photo.

Oh, and mom says next time I visit, I can take it home with me. She
says she likes the big pot I gave her better. Win-win, I'd say.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> Pennyaline wrote:
>> Serene wrote:

>>> My mom has this huge aluminum oval pot that she cooks a few gallons
>>> of her spaghetti sauce in at a time. It's heavy as hell, and I love
>>> it. I will probably snag it if she dies before it does -- it's been
>>> around since I was little, so it's likely to outlive her.

>> It sounds like a great vessel, but are you sure it's aluminum?

> Yeah, because for a while, I wouldn't use it because of the aluminum
> scare. Mom is gonna look at the brand name when she gets home from work
> and I'll try to get you a photo.

It's Club aluminum. It's not exactly like these pictures, but it's
similar to the first one, only enameled green on the outside, as in
the second photo:

1st photo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLUB-HAMMERED-AL...QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3yxs7l

2nd photo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLUB-aluminum-4-...QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/32q6wn

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My grangmother from Mexico had a cookie cutter wheel, the shapes were
spades, hearts, diamonds and clubs. She used it to make a kind of
cookie from the north of Mexico called hojarasca.