Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What are your 12 most essential kitchen tools?

On Wed, 13 May 2009 21:41:18 -0400, Kajikit >
wrote:

>There was an article in the NY Times today about the subject... sure
>we've all got kitchens FULL of stuff, but what's the most important
>and versatile?
>
>Mine a

No instant read thermometer?

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 May 2009 10:25:37 -0500, Chemiker
> wrote:

>On Wed, 13 May 2009 21:41:18 -0400, Kajikit >
>wrote:
>
>>There was an article in the NY Times today about the subject... sure
>>we've all got kitchens FULL of stuff, but what's the most important
>>and versatile?
>>
>>Mine a

>No instant read thermometer?

Never used one in my life... if it's boiling it's hot... and if in
doubt, taste/cut it and see for yourself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker wrote:

> No instant read thermometer?

That's part of my outdoor cooking kit, not my kitchen.

I have a huge, 6 burner gas grill and a bullet smoker.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 May 2009 19:05:13 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Chemiker wrote:
>
>> No instant read thermometer?

>That's part of my outdoor cooking kit, not my kitchen.
>
>I have a huge, 6 burner gas grill and a bullet smoker.

Um, Janet. Do you do yoghurt outside?

I make it weekly. In the pot. I need to know when
the milk is 160 and again 105. Not a meat thermometer,
but a *cooking* thermometer.

Alex, who knows you can't test yoghurt with your thumb.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker wrote:
> On Thu, 14 May 2009 19:05:13 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> Chemiker wrote:
>>
>>> No instant read thermometer?

>> That's part of my outdoor cooking kit, not my kitchen.
>>
>> I have a huge, 6 burner gas grill and a bullet smoker.

> Um, Janet. Do you do yoghurt outside?
>
> I make it weekly. In the pot. I need to know when
> the milk is 160 and again 105. Not a meat thermometer,
> but a *cooking* thermometer.
>
> Alex, who knows you can't test yoghurt with your thumb.

I have a glass thermometer that I use to take the temp of the water I'll
be dissolving my yeast in. It looks like a test tube with a metal clip
on the top. That's a cooking thermometer isn't it? I don't make
yoghurt or even yogurt.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" wrote

> I have a glass thermometer that I use to take the temp of the water I'll
> be dissolving my yeast in. It looks like a test tube with a metal clip on
> the top. That's a cooking thermometer isn't it?

Your not so sure, are you... give it the sniff test... sounds like an anal
thermometer. hehe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 May 2009 15:07:09 -0500, Chemiker wrote:

> On Thu, 14 May 2009 19:05:13 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>>Chemiker wrote:
>>
>>> No instant read thermometer?

>>That's part of my outdoor cooking kit, not my kitchen.
>>
>>I have a huge, 6 burner gas grill and a bullet smoker.

> Um, Janet. Do you do yoghurt outside?
>
> I make it weekly. In the pot. I need to know when
> the milk is 160 and again 105. Not a meat thermometer,
> but a *cooking* thermometer.
>
> Alex, who knows you can't test yoghurt with your thumb.

sure you can. 'he stuck in his thumb and pulled out some...yogurt.'

your pal
jack

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 May 2009 19:05:04 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:

> Chemiker wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 May 2009 19:05:13 -0500, Janet Wilder
>> > wrote:

>>> That's part of my outdoor cooking kit, not my kitchen.
>>>
>>> I have a huge, 6 burner gas grill and a bullet smoker.

>> Um, Janet. Do you do yoghurt outside?
>>
>> I make it weekly. In the pot. I need to know when
>> the milk is 160 and again 105. Not a meat thermometer,
>> but a *cooking* thermometer.
>>
>> Alex, who knows you can't test yoghurt with your thumb.

> I have a glass thermometer that I use to take the temp of the water I'll
> be dissolving my yeast in. It looks like a test tube with a metal clip
> on the top. That's a cooking thermometer isn't it? I don't make
> yoghurt or even yogurt.

i used to have one of those. i seem to recall markings for candy-making -
soft ball, hard crack, etc.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Fri, 15 May 2009 19:05:04 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> Chemiker wrote:
>>> On Thu, 14 May 2009 19:05:13 -0500, Janet Wilder

>>> Um, Janet. Do you do yoghurt outside?
>>>
>>> I make it weekly. In the pot. I need to know when
>>> the milk is 160 and again 105. Not a meat thermometer,
>>> but a *cooking* thermometer.
>>>
>>> Alex, who knows you can't test yoghurt with your thumb.

>> I have a glass thermometer that I use to take the temp of the water I'll
>> be dissolving my yeast in. It looks like a test tube with a metal clip
>> on the top. That's a cooking thermometer isn't it? I don't make
>> yoghurt or even yogurt.

> i used to have one of those. i seem to recall markings for candy-making -
> soft ball, hard crack, etc.

It has that and some markings for "deep fry", too.