Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What are your 12 most essential kitchen tools?

On May 13, 9:41*pm, Kajikit > wrote:
> There was an article in the NY Times today about the subject... sure
> we've all got kitchens FULL of stuff, but what's the most important
> and versatile?
>
> Mine a
>
> 1) a good 6 inch knife, kept nice and sharp (I have small hands and
> find a full-sized chef's knife very awkward to handle.)
> 2) 10 inch skillet (larger and smaller are useful but you can do
> almost anything in a 10-incher...)
> 3) 2 quart saucepan for cooking sauces/vegetables
> 4) 5 quart saucepan for anything larger
> 5) metal colander for draining and rinsing
> 6 large glass mixing bowl that fits in the microwave
> 7) vegetable peeler
> 8) a good can opener
> 9) nested set of measuring cups and spoons
> 10) large rectangular pyrex baking dish for roasting/baking
> 11) large sheet pan for baking cookies, pizzas, rolls etc.
> 12) set of cheap non-scratch kitchen tools including a lifter, a
> wooden spoon and a slotted spoon (actually I have many more, but those
> three are the basics.)

Essential?
I'd say
a heat source
a skillet with lid
a 3 qt. saucepan with lid
a very decent knife
cutting board
spatula
slotted spoon
veggie peeler
medium size mixing bowl

I have lived on a boat and I got by with the above. I had no oven,
just two burners.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 May 2009 06:12:07 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>On May 13, 9:41*pm, Kajikit > wrote:
>> There was an article in the NY Times today about the subject... sure
>> we've all got kitchens FULL of stuff, but what's the most important
>> and versatile?
>>
>> Mine a
>>
>> 1) a good 6 inch knife, kept nice and sharp (I have small hands and
>> find a full-sized chef's knife very awkward to handle.)
>> 2) 10 inch skillet (larger and smaller are useful but you can do
>> almost anything in a 10-incher...)
>> 3) 2 quart saucepan for cooking sauces/vegetables
>> 4) 5 quart saucepan for anything larger
>> 5) metal colander for draining and rinsing
>> 6 large glass mixing bowl that fits in the microwave
>> 7) vegetable peeler
>> 8) a good can opener
>> 9) nested set of measuring cups and spoons
>> 10) large rectangular pyrex baking dish for roasting/baking
>> 11) large sheet pan for baking cookies, pizzas, rolls etc.
>> 12) set of cheap non-scratch kitchen tools including a lifter, a
>> wooden spoon and a slotted spoon (actually I have many more, but those
>> three are the basics.)

>Essential?
>I'd say
>a heat source
>a skillet with lid
>a 3 qt. saucepan with lid
>a very decent knife
>cutting board
>spatula
>slotted spoon
>veggie peeler
>medium size mixing bowl
>
>I have lived on a boat and I got by with the above. I had no oven,
>just two burners.

1. Kitchenaid mixer (has two bowls)
2. Kitchenaid blender
3.digital scale
4.10" skillet
5.6" skillet
6. measuring cups
7. 6" knife( very sharp)
8.small cleaver
9. small roasting pan
10. commercial cookie sheet
11. muffin sheet
12. set of cheap kitchen utensils ( including wooden spoons)