Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default Hardware tools for the kitchen?

Thought this might be a fun thread idea. :-)
What tools do you have in the kitchen for food prep that you bought from
a hardware store and adapted to cooking?

Hacksaw
Blow torch

and Pastorio suggested microplaners which I'm going to have to
investigate.

Hacksaws are used for cutting bones primarily, and a blow torch is used
for crisping custards etc. and for singing hair feathers when I'm
processing my own poultry.

Anyone else?
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> Thought this might be a fun thread idea. :-)
> What tools do you have in the kitchen for food prep that you bought from
> a hardware store and adapted to cooking?

(snipped)
I've got a 6" wide Red Devil "bench knife" -- I think it's supposed to
be for spreading the stuff you use when you're taping sheetrock.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>
> > Thought this might be a fun thread idea. :-)
> > What tools do you have in the kitchen for food prep that you bought from
> > a hardware store and adapted to cooking?

> (snipped)
> I've got a 6" wide Red Devil "bench knife" -- I think it's supposed to
> be for spreading the stuff you use when you're taping sheetrock.

Frosting spreader? :-)
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 29 Oct 2005 04:15:25a, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >,
> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>
>> Thought this might be a fun thread idea. :-)
>> What tools do you have in the kitchen for food prep that you bought from
>> a hardware store and adapted to cooking?

> (snipped)
> I've got a 6" wide Red Devil "bench knife" -- I think it's supposed to
> be for spreading the stuff you use when you're taping sheetrock.

Geez, I have the same thing, 'cept I don't think it's Red Devil brand.
Work's great.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Felice Friese

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> Thought this might be a fun thread idea. :-)
> What tools do you have in the kitchen for food prep that you bought from
> a hardware store and adapted to cooking?

Does a toy store count? I still have a 3" x 12" wooden block from a pricey
kids' block set that I've used for years to pound chicken and veal. It gives
a good solid smack, so it does.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 29 Oct 2005 01:56:07a, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Thought this might be a fun thread idea. :-)
> What tools do you have in the kitchen for food prep that you bought from
> a hardware store and adapted to cooking?

I've got two sizes of rubber-headed mallets (look like small sledge-hammers)
that I use for pounding things chicken breasts, veal scallops, etc. I think
I only paid ~$5.00 for both. Also have a very heavy plastic "tool tote" that
I keep all my BBQ implements in for trudging back and forth to the grill.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote on 29 Oct 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Thought this might be a fun thread idea. :-)
> What tools do you have in the kitchen for food prep that you bought from
> a hardware store and adapted to cooking?
>
> Hacksaw
> Blow torch
>
> and Pastorio suggested microplaners which I'm going to have to
> investigate.
>
> Hacksaws are used for cutting bones primarily, and a blow torch is used
> for crisping custards etc. and for singing hair feathers when I'm
> processing my own poultry.
>
> Anyone else?

Blow torches also can be used to remove skins on red bell peppers.

I have a largish rubber mallet in the kitchen as well. I use it to flaten
chicken breasts and to help drive the cleaver thru hard to cut things like
butternut squashes and chicken bones. Using the mallet gives me a more
precise cut than if I just wailed away with the cleaver.

As we speak, I just used the mallet (5 minutes ago) to help split 2
butternut squashes for Jill's roated butternut soup.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 29 Oct 2005 07:14:03a, Mr Libido Incognito wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote on 29 Oct 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Thought this might be a fun thread idea. :-)
>> What tools do you have in the kitchen for food prep that you bought
>> from a hardware store and adapted to cooking?
>>
>> Hacksaw
>> Blow torch
>>
>> and Pastorio suggested microplaners which I'm going to have to
>> investigate.
>>
>> Hacksaws are used for cutting bones primarily, and a blow torch is used
>> for crisping custards etc. and for singing hair feathers when I'm
>> processing my own poultry.
>>
>> Anyone else?

> Blow torches also can be used to remove skins on red bell peppers.
>
> I have a largish rubber mallet in the kitchen as well. I use it to
> flaten chicken breasts and to help drive the cleaver thru hard to cut
> things like butternut squashes and chicken bones. Using the mallet gives
> me a more precise cut than if I just wailed away with the cleaver.
>
> As we speak, I just used the mallet (5 minutes ago) to help split 2
> butternut squashes for Jill's roated butternut soup.

I've had these large rubber mallets for years and it never occurred to me
to use them for anything other than pounding something flat. Thanks, Alan!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Sat 29 Oct 2005 01:56:07a, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > Thought this might be a fun thread idea. :-)
> > What tools do you have in the kitchen for food prep that you bought from
> > a hardware store and adapted to cooking?

> I've got two sizes of rubber-headed mallets (look like small sledge-hammers)
> that I use for pounding things chicken breasts, veal scallops, etc. I think
> I only paid ~$5.00 for both. Also have a very heavy plastic "tool tote" that
> I keep all my BBQ implements in for trudging back and forth to the grill.

Both cool ideas!

I've always just pounded meat with a flat, smooth metal meat mallet. The
one I have is two sided. Smooth on one side and short pyramid shaped
"teeth" on the other side. I like the idea of using a rubber one! It'd
be easier on my boards!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Felice Friese" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > Thought this might be a fun thread idea. :-)
> > What tools do you have in the kitchen for food prep that you bought from
> > a hardware store and adapted to cooking?

> Does a toy store count? I still have a 3" x 12" wooden block from a pricey
> kids' block set that I've used for years to pound chicken and veal. It gives
> a good solid smack, so it does.
>
> Felice

All's fair in kitchen tools! <lol>
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote on 29 Oct 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > Thought this might be a fun thread idea. :-)
> > What tools do you have in the kitchen for food prep that you bought from
> > a hardware store and adapted to cooking?
> >
> > Hacksaw
> > Blow torch
> >
> > and Pastorio suggested microplaners which I'm going to have to
> > investigate.
> >
> > Hacksaws are used for cutting bones primarily, and a blow torch is used
> > for crisping custards etc. and for singing hair feathers when I'm
> > processing my own poultry.
> >
> > Anyone else?

> Blow torches also can be used to remove skins on red bell peppers.

I'll have to try that on Poblanos...

> I have a largish rubber mallet in the kitchen as well. I use it to flaten
> chicken breasts and to help drive the cleaver thru hard to cut things like
> butternut squashes and chicken bones. Using the mallet gives me a more
> precise cut than if I just wailed away with the cleaver.

I do that too, except I have a "kitchen rock", a round, smooth piece of
agate that I gently hammer the back of the cleaver with. I tap it firmly
rather than pounding.

A rubber mallet might be kinder on the cleaver. ;-)

> As we speak, I just used the mallet (5 minutes ago) to help split 2
> butternut squashes for Jill's roated butternut soup.

That works!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> Thought this might be a fun thread idea. :-)
> What tools do you have in the kitchen for food prep that you bought from
> a hardware store and adapted to cooking?
>
> Hacksaw
> Blow torch
>
> and Pastorio suggested microplaners which I'm going to have to
> investigate.
>
> Hacksaws are used for cutting bones primarily, and a blow torch is used
> for crisping custards etc. and for singing hair feathers when I'm
> processing my own poultry.
>
> Anyone else?

needle-nosed pliers for removing fish bones
Vise-Grip pliers to hold the pasta roller to the benchtop
torch for meringues, pepper skins, caramelizing grapes rolled in sugar
chisels for carving vegetable garnishes
tile cutter for precision in making baking sheets covered with tiles
taping knife (like a wide putty knife) for scraping baking boards and
spreading frosting
small paint roller for oiling baking sheets (if doing a lot of baking)
Microplanes for grating
etc.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pan Ohco

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 06:24:13 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

>In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>>
>> > Thought this might be a fun thread idea. :-)
>> > What tools do you have in the kitchen for food prep that you bought from
>> > a hardware store and adapted to cooking?

>> (snipped)
>> I've got a 6" wide Red Devil "bench knife" -- I think it's supposed to
>> be for spreading the stuff you use when you're taping sheetrock.

>Frosting spreader? :-)

I think that a notched (for spreading adhesive) trowel would give cake
frosting a distinctive pattern

Pan Ohco

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > Thought this might be a fun thread idea. :-)
> > What tools do you have in the kitchen for food prep that you bought from
> > a hardware store and adapted to cooking?
> >
> > Hacksaw
> > Blow torch
> >
> > and Pastorio suggested microplaners which I'm going to have to
> > investigate.
> >
> > Hacksaws are used for cutting bones primarily, and a blow torch is used
> > for crisping custards etc. and for singing hair feathers when I'm
> > processing my own poultry.
> >
> > Anyone else?

> needle-nosed pliers for removing fish bones

Yes.

> Vise-Grip pliers to hold the pasta roller to the benchtop

Never thought of that! That might solve our problem with the Victorio
strainer. I think I'm just going to get a motor for it tho'.

> torch for meringues, pepper skins, caramelizing grapes rolled in sugar

Yep. I'm going to have to try mine for carmelizing.

> chisels for carving vegetable garnishes

You have too much time on your hands. <lol>

> tile cutter for precision in making baking sheets covered with tiles

I've never baked on tiles?
I do use large tiles for trivets tho'.

> taping knife (like a wide putty knife) for scraping baking boards and
> spreading frosting
> small paint roller for oiling baking sheets (if doing a lot of baking)

That's a neat idea, but sounds messy?

> Microplanes for grating

On the shopping list!

> etc.

Hey don't stop now!
You were on a roll!!!

--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
osmium

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" writes:

> Thought this might be a fun thread idea. :-)
> What tools do you have in the kitchen for food prep that you bought from
> a hardware store and adapted to cooking?

o I use a tool used in auto body shops in molding fenders etc. to flatten
meats. It weighs almost three pounds but fits nicely in the hand. One side
is flat, the side in closer to the palm is curved.

o A tool used to clean excess paint on house windows. Used to scrape the
butcher block. *Much* better than the kitchenalia product (dough scraper).

o Water pump pliers to open small jars tops.

o Corian counter top sample to smash garlic cloves..

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> Thought this might be a fun thread idea. :-)
> What tools do you have in the kitchen for food prep that you bought from
> a hardware store and adapted to cooking?
>
> Hacksaw
> Blow torch
>
> and Pastorio suggested microplaners which I'm going to have to
> investigate. [snip]

I've got a small blow torch, small pliers, and a flashlight (for the
oven, which has no light). Oh, and a couple of sharpening stones. The
microplaner I got at a kitchen place. Hardware store is worth checking
out, though you might have more of an initial cleaning to do. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Pan Ohco > wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 06:24:13 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> >> (snipped)
> >> I've got a 6" wide Red Devil "bench knife" -- I think it's supposed to
> >> be for spreading the stuff you use when you're taping sheetrock.

> >Frosting spreader? :-)

> I think that a notched (for spreading adhesive) trowel would give cake
> frosting a distinctive pattern
>
> Pan Ohco

How about textured rollers? <lol>

just kidding......
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lisa Ann

Bob (this one) wrote:

> needle-nosed pliers for removing fish bones
> Vise-Grip pliers to hold the pasta roller to the benchtop
> torch for meringues, pepper skins, caramelizing grapes rolled in sugar
> chisels for carving vegetable garnishes
> tile cutter for precision in making baking sheets covered with tiles
> taping knife (like a wide putty knife) for scraping baking boards and
> spreading frosting
> small paint roller for oiling baking sheets (if doing a lot of baking)
> Microplanes for grating
> etc.
>
> Pastorio

Wow, truly you are a resourceful and creative soul!

For some reason, though, this reminds me of my ex-husband's back
surgery...I was reading the Operating Room Report and encountered
something I didn't normally associate with surgical tools...a torque
wrench. I can still picture his surgeon stepping aside to let Dr.
Goodwrench do his thing, then resuming. <g>

Thanks for the hint on where to find microplanes!

Lisa Ann

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 29 Oct 2005 10:06:33a, Pan Ohco wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 06:24:13 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

>>> (snipped)
>>> I've got a 6" wide Red Devil "bench knife" -- I think it's supposed to
>>> be for spreading the stuff you use when you're taping sheetrock.

>>Frosting spreader? :-)

> I think that a notched (for spreading adhesive) trowel would give cake
> frosting a distinctive pattern
>
> Pan Ohco

I bought a 3-sided icing "comb" years ago that has 3 different notch sizes,
and it does make a very pretty pattern. I think I paid a dollar for it.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"osmium" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" writes:
>
> > Thought this might be a fun thread idea. :-)
> > What tools do you have in the kitchen for food prep that you bought from
> > a hardware store and adapted to cooking?

> o I use a tool used in auto body shops in molding fenders etc. to flatten
> meats. It weighs almost three pounds but fits nicely in the hand. One side
> is flat, the side in closer to the palm is curved.
>
> o A tool used to clean excess paint on house windows. Used to scrape the
> butcher block. *Much* better than the kitchenalia product (dough scraper).
>
> o Water pump pliers to open small jars tops.

Oil filter wrenches work for that too. ;-)

> o Corian counter top sample to smash garlic cloves..

I grate mine.....

Nice! Thanks!

--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > Thought this might be a fun thread idea. :-)
> > What tools do you have in the kitchen for food prep that you bought from
> > a hardware store and adapted to cooking?
> >
> > Hacksaw
> > Blow torch
> >
> > and Pastorio suggested microplaners which I'm going to have to
> > investigate. [snip]

> I've got a small blow torch, small pliers, and a flashlight (for the
> oven, which has no light). Oh, and a couple of sharpening stones. The
> microplaner I got at a kitchen place. Hardware store is worth checking
> out, though you might have more of an initial cleaning to do. -aem

It's on the shopping list......
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article . com>,
"Lisa Ann" > wrote:

> Bob (this one) wrote:
>

> > needle-nosed pliers for removing fish bones
> > Vise-Grip pliers to hold the pasta roller to the benchtop
> > torch for meringues, pepper skins, caramelizing grapes rolled in sugar
> > chisels for carving vegetable garnishes
> > tile cutter for precision in making baking sheets covered with tiles
> > taping knife (like a wide putty knife) for scraping baking boards and
> > spreading frosting
> > small paint roller for oiling baking sheets (if doing a lot of baking)
> > Microplanes for grating
> > etc.
> >
> > Pastorio

> Wow, truly you are a resourceful and creative soul!
>
> For some reason, though, this reminds me of my ex-husband's back
> surgery...I was reading the Operating Room Report and encountered
> something I didn't normally associate with surgical tools...a torque
> wrench. I can still picture his surgeon stepping aside to let Dr.
> Goodwrench do his thing, then resuming. <g>

Was he getting screws/pins installed?
A torque wrench would probably be very necessary to keep from damaging
bone?

Any surgeons on the list? :-)

--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On 29 Oct 2005 15:40:50 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I've got two sizes of rubber-headed mallets (look like small sledge-hammers)
> that I use for pounding things chicken breasts, veal scallops, etc. I think
> I only paid ~$5.00 for both.

I have one too... it's called a plumber's mallet (I think that was a
"Julia" suggestion many years ago).
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lisa Ann

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "Lisa Ann" > wrote:
>
> > For some reason, though, this reminds me of my ex-husband's back
> > surgery...I was reading the Operating Room Report and encountered
> > something I didn't normally associate with surgical tools...a torque
> > wrench. I can still picture his surgeon stepping aside to let Dr.
> > Goodwrench do his thing, then resuming. <g>

> Was he getting screws/pins installed?
> A torque wrench would probably be very necessary to keep from damaging
> bone?
>
> Any surgeons on the list? :-)

LOL - No surgeons needed to explain...yes, he was having screws and
plates "installed". (And they may call them screws, but I've seen the
X-Rays...these suckers are *bolts*!) And yes, his doc explained to me
that a sterile torque wrench is essential. It still made me laugh
though.

Then again, I laugh at very strange things...when the doc came out to
talk to me after the 10+ hour surgery, once I found out the ex was
doing okay, my next question was..."What do you do when you have to use
the bathroom?"

As my friends at work constantly tell me, "LA...you're just not
*right*!"

Lisa Ann

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 03:56:07 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>Thought this might be a fun thread idea. :-)
>What tools do you have in the kitchen for food prep that you bought from
>a hardware store and adapted to cooking?
>
>Hacksaw
>Blow torch
>
>and Pastorio suggested microplaners which I'm going to have to
>investigate.
>
>Hacksaws are used for cutting bones primarily, and a blow torch is used
>for crisping custards etc. and for singing hair feathers when I'm
>processing my own poultry.
>
>Anyone else?

Pliers

An oyster farmer who came in to the Greenmarket for a few years would
teach people who didn't know how to shuck oysters a trick I don't
need. His 10-year-old daughter would take a pair of pliers and break a
notch out of the shell edges opposite the hinge. Then it was easy to
cut the adductor muscle and open the shell.

His oysters had thin shell edges that made this very easy, but they
would not look good served on the half-shell if you did that. But for
other uses I don't see any problem.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J 36 Gjo/a

Kansas--working to become a science-free zone

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:45:26 -0700, osmium wrote:

> o Water pump pliers to open small jars tops.

That's a doable idea! What do you use for the bigguns?

sf
whose under counter top remover came down last month (held up by glue,
not screws, for built in obsolesce)

PS - anyone know where would I look for another one?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:45:26 -0700, osmium wrote:
>
>> o Water pump pliers to open small jars tops.

> That's a doable idea! What do you use for the bigguns?
>
> sf

The smaller strap wrenches work great for all size jars and bottles

Posted to rec.food.cooking
osmium

"sf" wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:45:26 -0700, osmium wrote:
>
>> o Water pump pliers to open small jars tops.

> That's a doable idea! What do you use for the bigguns?

I have a drawer full of a variety of jar openers. My favorite is a Dazey
with machined steel jaws that really grip and the operator can control the
pressure with a crank. I would guess it is virtually impossible to find,
except by luck at an estate sale or something such as that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 17:02:33 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:45:26 -0700, osmium wrote:
> >
> >> o Water pump pliers to open small jars tops.

> > That's a doable idea! What do you use for the bigguns?
> >
> > sf

> The smaller strap wrenches work great for all size jars and bottles

That's a good idea, Janet... thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Huffy

A putty knife, co-opted into a stubby, offset spatula; it's become one of my
favorite baking tools.

Microplanes rock!

Huffy
--
"Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"
***************************
> Thought this might be a fun thread idea. :-)
> What tools do you have in the kitchen for food prep that you bought from
> a hardware store and adapted to cooking?
>
> Hacksaw
> Blow torch
>
> and Pastorio suggested microplaners which I'm going to have to
> investigate.
>
> Hacksaws are used for cutting bones primarily, and a blow torch is used
> for crisping custards etc. and for singing hair feathers when I'm
> processing my own poultry.
>
> Anyone else?
> --
> Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack

Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 29 Oct 2005 12:35:15p, sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 29 Oct 2005 15:40:50 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> I've got two sizes of rubber-headed mallets (look like small
>> sledge-hammers) that I use for pounding things chicken breasts, veal
>> scallops, etc. I think I only paid ~$5.00 for both.

> I have one too... it's called a plumber's mallet (I think that was a
> "Julia" suggestion many years ago).

That was what prompted me to get them.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>
>>OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>>
>>>Thought this might be a fun thread idea. :-)
>>>What tools do you have in the kitchen for food prep that you bought from
>>>a hardware store and adapted to cooking?
>>>
>>>Hacksaw
>>>Blow torch
>>>
>>>and Pastorio suggested microplaners which I'm going to have to
>>>investigate.
>>>
>>>Hacksaws are used for cutting bones primarily, and a blow torch is used
>>>for crisping custards etc. and for singing hair feathers when I'm
>>>processing my own poultry.
>>>
>>>Anyone else?

>>needle-nosed pliers for removing fish bones

> Yes.
>
>>Vise-Grip pliers to hold the pasta roller to the benchtop

> Never thought of that! That might solve our problem with the Victorio
> strainer. I think I'm just going to get a motor for it tho'.
>
>>torch for meringues, pepper skins, caramelizing grapes rolled in sugar

> Yep. I'm going to have to try mine for carmelizing.
>
>>chisels for carving vegetable garnishes

> You have too much time on your hands. <lol>

Holdover from the restaurant years. When I was charging $50 for an
entree, it had better be great food, presented brilliantly.

We carved chains, recognizable animals, fanciful creatures like dragons,
trees, boats... All sorts of things, most of them edible.

>>tile cutter for precision in making baking sheets covered with tiles

> I've never baked on tiles?
> I do use large tiles for trivets tho'.

Line a baking sheet with sides with unglazed, lead-free tiles and use it
like the deck in a pizza oven.

>>taping knife (like a wide putty knife) for scraping baking boards and
>>spreading frosting
>>small paint roller for oiling baking sheets (if doing a lot of baking)

> That's a neat idea, but sounds messy?

When you're doing 50 batches, who cares about mess? Takes a few people
to do it; one cleans.

>>Microplanes for grating

> On the shopping list!
>
>>etc.

> Hey don't stop now!
> You were on a roll!!!

Wire brush for cleaning cutting boards.

Once I tried a jackplane to get thin slices of frozen meat. Not one of
my successes.

I've connected my variable speed electric drill to my pasta roller when
I was making a lot of pasta at one time. It worked, but it was a
nuisance to set up and deal with. Held down the trigger with duct tape
(what else?), but it kept slowing down as the tape stretched and
distorted. Still, it worked better than it would have if I'd been trying
to crank by hand.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 29 Oct 2005 12:35:15p, sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>>On 29 Oct 2005 15:40:50 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> I've got two sizes of rubber-headed mallets (look like small
>>> sledge-hammers) that I use for pounding things chicken breasts, veal
>>> scallops, etc. I think I only paid ~$5.00 for both.

>>I have one too... it's called a plumber's mallet (I think that was a
>>"Julia" suggestion many years ago).
>>

> That was what prompted me to get them.

One of my kids gave me a Dead-blow mallet with shot in it. It doesn't
bounce when it hits. Wonderful. But definitely strange until you get
used to it. Smack a piece of veal and it just sits there after the hit.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 03:56:07 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>Thought this might be a fun thread idea. :-)
>What tools do you have in the kitchen for food prep that you bought from
>a hardware store and adapted to cooking?
>
>Hacksaw
>Blow torch
>
>and Pastorio suggested microplaners which I'm going to have to
>investigate.
>
>Hacksaws are used for cutting bones primarily, and a blow torch is used
>for crisping custards etc. and for singing hair feathers when I'm
>processing my own poultry.
>
>Anyone else?

Needle nose pliers for salmon pin bones. And my microplane, of
course.

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Pan Ohco > wrote:
(snippage)
> >> I've got a 6" wide Red Devil "bench knife" -- I think it's supposed to
> >> be for spreading the stuff you use when you're taping sheetrock.

> >Frosting spreader? :-)

> I think that a notched (for spreading adhesive) trowel would give cake
> frosting a distinctive pattern
>
> Pan Ohco

You can buy "cake decorating combs" for just such a purpose, too.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> Wire brush for cleaning cutting boards.

Hmmmmm... Mine don't get that messy?
Copper scrubby at the worst...

> Once I tried a jackplane to get thin slices of frozen meat. Not one of
> my successes.

Sounds hilarious.
I can get pretty thin cuts on partially frozen with a cleaver, (or a
chef's knife) but I can see why you'd want a faster method.

> I've connected my variable speed electric drill to my pasta roller when
> I was making a lot of pasta at one time. It worked, but it was a
> nuisance to set up and deal with. Held down the trigger with duct tape
> (what else?), but it kept slowing down as the tape stretched and
> distorted. Still, it worked better than it would have if I'd been trying
> to crank by hand.
>
> Pastorio

Love it! ;-D
There is a motor for the Victorio strainer, that might work on a pasta
roller?

Thanks!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article >,
OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> I've always just pounded meat with a flat, smooth metal meat mallet. The
> one I have is two sided. Smooth on one side and short pyramid shaped
> "teeth" on the other side.

Our meat mallet has teeth on both sides, one coarser than the other. We
just whack the meat with the side of it.

:-)

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article >,
OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> Anyone else?

OK, so we did the shop tools for cooking and medicine. How about
medical stuff? My father had a whole set of hypodermics that he used
for oiling hard to reach places. Some people use them in the kitchen
for injecting brine and flavored stuff into meat before cooking.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> Thought this might be a fun thread idea. :-)
> What tools do you have in the kitchen for food prep that you bought from
> a hardware store and adapted to cooking?
>
> Hacksaw
> Blow torch

Pliers for skinning catfish. Clamp and PULL.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>

>> Anyone else?

> OK, so we did the shop tools for cooking and medicine. How about
> medical stuff? My father had a whole set of hypodermics that he used
> for oiling hard to reach places. Some people use them in the kitchen
> for injecting brine and flavored stuff into meat before cooking.

Yes indeed I use a large hypodermic syringe. It was very difficult to
get though. I tried several pharmacists but they wouldn't give me one
unless I had a dirty needle to hand in <???>

Eventually I got one when I was being treated for a serious infection
last year. Because I was on IV antibiotics for several months, I had a
Hickman line inserted and was taught to do it myself at home. Suddenly
from not being trusted with a single one, I was given boxes of the
things)