Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy2 Nancy2 is offline

Default Mom's Kitchen Tools

On May 9, 9:50 pm, Terry Pulliam Burd >
wrote:
> I was making homemade tortillas tonight, forming them into taco shells
> as they fried, when I thought for the million and a half time that I
> sure wish I had my mother's gizmo for draining taco shells after they
> came out of the hot oil. It was something like a very small jelly roll
> pan with a fitted rack. I drain the shells on an old towel, which
> works, but I sure wish I'd snagged Mother's gizmo when I had the
> chance.
>
> Anyone else have a kitchen tool a parent or grandparent or whomever
> used that you wish you had now?
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd...oh, and grandma's worn cleaver <sigh>
>
> --
> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as
> old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had been as full as the
> waitress's, it would have been a very good dinner."
>
> -- Duncan Hines
>
> To reply, replace "spaminator" with "cox"

I wish I had my mom's "bread board," which was a giant slab of
whatever wood, which she used only for pastry and bread. It was quite
thin (about a half inch) so it wasn't very heavy. I have one I
acquired from a scrap piece of lumber, but it isn't the same. Also,
until last year (when I found a new version) I wished I had one of her
mixing spoons - tight coils - openly shaped like the bowl of a spoon,
at the end of a handle - there is nothing better for folding egg
whites into a batter.

N.