Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter A Peter A is offline

Default Mom's Kitchen Tools

In article >,
says...
> Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>
> > Anyone else have a kitchen tool a parent or grandparent or whomever
> > used that you wish you had now?

> My mom has this huge aluminum oval pot that she cooks a few gallons
> of her spaghetti sauce in at a time. It's heavy as hell, and I love
> it. I will probably snag it if she dies before it does -- it's been
> around since I was little, so it's likely to outlive her.
>
> Serene

My mother has an interesting cast iron set - the bottom is a Dutch oven,
but with one long handle like a saute pan. The top is a saute pan, also
with handle, that can be used independently or as the lid for the Dutch
oven. They are at least 50 years old.

When I was a kid, I recall that she would wash them and set them over
the stove's pilot light so the slight warmth would help dry them. The
cat loved to curl up in the pan to keep warm.

--
Peter Aitken