Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Why do we still use chopsticks?

On 19 Apr 2007 15:01:30 -0700, maxine in ri > wrote:

>It's a choice, they are traditional, and if you prefer cutlery to
>them,
>do not feel intimidated by your friends. Ask. Or else ask the wait-
>staff for lessons. I cannot hold mine correctly and pick up
>anything,
>but the way I've learned to hold them works for me.
>
>maxine in ri

i don't hold mine correctly either. i have one between thumb and
forefinger, one between middle and ring fingers. i can't control them
the correct way.

i learned eating sashimi in the early seventies. my college roommates
thought i was nuts. i thought it was great hangover food.

i usually use my fingers for sushi (because it's too big for one
bite). i read somewhere it was acceptable, so that's my story and i'm
sticking to it.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 08:52:14 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Nancy Young wrote:
>>he
>> > chopsticks. It's really the only way. It's everything your mother taught
>> > you NOT to do, which is partly why it's fun. :~)

>> Most of the times, chopsticks look graceful. I can live forever
>> not watching people slurping noodles out of a bowl, especially
>> using them. Ugh.

>I have never understood why so many people seem to feel a need to use them
>when eating Chinese food out of a take- out box.

because it's sophisticated.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 12:20:26 -0400, Peter A >
wrote:

>In article >,
says...
>> On 2007-04-20, Nancy Young > wrote:
>>
>> > I have been known to eat cold chicken and broccoli out of the
>> > container with a fork. Sad, but true.

>> Here's my take on eating/drinking out of the container and other
>> semi-scientific observations.
>>
>> I do not eat out of containers that I am not sure I will finish off or
>> empty. Why? Contamination. I'm no germ fanatic or obsessive
>> cleanliness freak, but I do know if you eat something out of a
>> container and continue moving the eating utensil back and forth from
>> your mouth to the container, you are introducing germs, bacteria,
>> stuff, whatever (obviously, I'm no ER star) back into the food. This
>> is not rocket science, just common sense. Those bio-bugs will grow on
>> the food and spoil it faster than if I didn't. A simple basic fact.
>>
>> Some items, like tomato based foods, I will not even contaminate with
>> non-mouth/hand stuff. For example, when I spoon salsa from its
>> container (fresh, canned, whatever), that spoon will touch nothing but
>> that salsa. This makes for a salsa that will last that much longer in
>> the fridge. In fact, when making tacos, burritos, etc, each ingredient
>> gets its own spoon. No cross pollination. This way, the salsa,
>> guacamole, sour cream, etc, will keep longer than items that have been
>> tainted.
>>
>> Like I said, I'm no clean-freak. It's just basic economics. The
>> longer something I've already purchased lasts, the less often I have
>> to toss out the spoiled remains and buy some more. Bottom line, money
>> saved.
>>
>> nb
>>

>You say that you are no "germ freak" and then describe behaviors that
>are almost the definition of a germ freak.

he doesn't *dislike* germs. he just doesn't want his sister to marry
one.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 10:14:40 GMT, Melondy >
wrote:

>Bob Terwilliger wrote:

>>> Same here, and it never would have even occurred to me that the utensil
>>> would affect the flavor.

>> Well, I think there are *some* times when the utensil can enhance taste. Try
>> spooning wine out of a dish sometime, and then compare it to drinking wine
>> from a wineglass, for example. But I don't perceive any difference in flavor
>> between eating (for example) General Tso's chicken with a fork and eating it
>> with chopsticks.
>>
>> I use chopsticks to eat those foods which I find conducive to chopstick use,
>> e.g., long/tangled noodles or some salads. I also enjoy using them with Far
>> Eastern food, but more because it's fun for me than because of any
>> difference in perceived taste.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> Think of the difference between drinking wine in a wine glass or out
>of a metal cup. Some things react with metal. Acidic things clash with
>metal. Eating with chopsticks is a subtle thing, a gentler way of doing
>things, not a hurried shoveling into the mouth that can take place with
>forks and spoons. I've noticed that I take more time to savor my meal
>and appreciate each bite when using chopsticks.
>
>I also appreciate it when all the food is already the right size to
>place in my mouth. I don't need to cut or whittle out a piece that will
>fit. It's all been done for me (or by me if I cooked it earlier) I have
>to admit, though, that I have a habit of being a very fast eater, always
>the first one finished. Using chopsticks has really helped be to 'stop
>and taste the chicken". I've gotten pretty good at using them but I just
>like using them for all sorts of things. I do use spoons because I think
>they are indispensable for some things, but chopsticks are just seem so
>much more refined and thoughtful for the meal.
>
>And then there is the noise factor. With chopsticks, either wood or
>bamboo usually, there is no clacking against the dishes. Mealtime is
>only conversation, background and some well-placed slurping :-)
>
>Melondy

have you seen many asians (well, chinese, anyway) eat? often the
individual's bowl with rice and food is placed quite close to the
mouth and 'shoveling' is the exact word for what goes on. ( japanese
food is probably different.)

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 14:31:30 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Melondy wrote:
>
>> It has been really nice through this subject, to find out just how many
>> people like and use chopsticks. I think it's terrific. I've alwasy felt
>> like a weirdo or something (well, maybe deserved for other things LOL!!)
>> because I have and use chopsticks at home. Glad to find others that
>> think their worth the time it takes to learn.
>>
>> Melondy

>A Korean woman I know (who taught me to cook many Korean dishes) will
>use her long cooking chopsticks to fry with and she was quite fast and
>adept! I doubt I could do any better with a spatula for stir frying?

use your entrenching tool!

your pal,
mr. tirebiter
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Apr 2007 22:55:01 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Goomba38 wrote:
>
>> I would rather see someone work to use chopsticks than hold their fork
>> like an entrenching tool and shoveling the food in their maw, lipsmacking,
>> dribbling sauce onto their chest or belly and feeling smug over those
>> heathen that use chopsticks.

>I would rather see someone using a fork gracefully than someone struggling
>with chopsticks to shovel food into his or her maw, lipsmacking, dribbling
>sauce onto their chest or belly and feeling smug because of their "worldly"
>use of chopsticks.
>
>(But really, I'd prefer to see Christina Crawford eating with her fingers to
>EITHER of those.)
>
>If you're eating something laden with sauce, chopsticks are hardly an
>improvement on a fork. They're equally prone to dribbling. I'd rather use a
>spoon, and feel smug over those idiots (whether they're eating with a fork
>or with chopsticks) with a sauce-trail leading from their plates to their
>mouths.
>
>Bob

i don't think you often see asians eating from a bowl on the table.
bowl in one hand, close to the mouth, chopsticks in the other.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:43:36 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Karen" > wrote
>
>> Pondering the use of chopsticks in western society. Since forks,
>> knives, spoons were invented, why do we still use chopsticks?

>You remind me of some comedian who said, Have the Chinese
>*seen* the fork?? Made me laugh. My mother had some pretty
>chopsticks, but she hardly used them
>
>nancy

i find the 'pretty' ones, or those that are enameled, much harder to
use. i have some nice ones that are rosewood (i think) with pointed
tips. would they be japanese, or maybe korean?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Apr 2007 17:08:08 -0700, Karen > wrote:

>On Apr 19, 2:43 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>> You remind me of some comedian who said, Have the Chinese
>> *seen* the fork?? Made me laugh. My mother had some pretty
>> chopsticks, but she hardly used them

>I'm beginning to think that utensils are indeed like language. Not
>everyone speaks English and to think that they should is sort of like
>being a snob.
>
>But, it's good to laugh at our egocentricities. That makes us laugh at
>ourselves, not at others.
>
><smile>
>
>Thanks for the thread, everyone.
>
>Karen

wait a minute! i *want* to laugh at others! so many of them, so few
of me.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Apr 2007 16:00:14 -0700, Karen > wrote:

>On Apr 19, 2:58 pm, (Victor Sack) wrote:
>>> Make sense where, when, to whom, and with what food? Western food has

>> long become rather popular in major Asian cities and it is almost
>> invariably eaten using knives, forks and spoons there, too.

>So, Western food is eaten with Western ware, and Asian food is eaten
>with Asian ware, whether in a Western or Eastern country, generally
>speaking, because of efficiency and enjoyment.
>
>As cultures cross, and the races blend, which will stand the test of
>time and cross-over in the end?
>
>Karen

chopsticks will win. aintchu ever seen 'blade runner'?

your pal,
rick
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:25:30 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>Karen said...
>
>> As cultures cross, and the races blend, which will stand the test of
>> time and cross-over in the end?
>>
>> Karen

>Karen,
>
>Races is a terrible choice of words.
>
>Cultures shouldn't change and rather be preserved.
>
>Assimilation into other societies has been best exhibited by the Aborgines
>forced into the Australian culture.
>
>The internet for the past 20 years has, in part, thanks to the rapid
>communication channels such as usnet, forced many cultures to debate and
>failing that, change due to "popular opinion." This is the worst side-
>effect of the Internet on mankind.
>
>Not in my humble opnion.
>
>Andy

on the contrary, cultures change all the time. change may have
accelerated due to more communication, but i wouldn't say that's a bad
thing. you want to eat potatoes for the rest of your life? (even
that was east to west.)

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Apr 2007 14:52:04 -0700, Karen > wrote:

>On Apr 19, 3:35 pm, "kilikini" > wrote:
>> I use chopsticks on a daily basis and so does my husband. They're excellent
>> to scoop up peas, rice, beans, corn........ we even bring our own to Asian
>> restaurants, take them home and wash them. I eat salads with them, seafood,
>> you name it. If something has a sauce to it, like baked beans, yes, I'll
>> use a spoon or a fork, but other than that, we opt for chopsticks. It's
>> somehow tidier; I tend to drop less food, believe it or not. In fact, we're
>> raising 3 tiny baby blue jays (long story) and I'm feeding THEM with
>> chopstix. (And picking up their poo with them. It's so much easier! - oh,
>> not the same chopsticks for both things. 2 different sets.)

>I bought a little stick in Japan that I thought was a chopstick for a
>child with a little scoop on the end. It ended up being an ear-pick. I
>keep it in my silverware drawer because it is so pretty.

too funny.

>> If I panko a fillet of fish, again, I use chopsticks. You can pry the fish
>> into pieces and pick out the most minute slivers. I think they're the
>> greatest invention of mankind.

>Well, you are definitely not the only one. Millions of people agree
>with you on that score. With all of the kitchen gadgets on the market,
>it seems the chopstik is one that stands the test of time.
>
>But, it is interesting, isn't it? We can put a man on the moon, and
>NASA can technologically create things for efficiency, but a stick
>remains favor?
>
>Karen

followed closely by the stone.

your pal,
word

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 00:51:58 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"Karen" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> Pondering the use of chopsticks in western society. Since forks,
>> knives, spoons were invented, why do we still use chopsticks?
>>
>> Chopsticks are disposable, which impacts the environment and uses up
>> trees.
>>
>> They're ancient.
>>
>> You can't cut up a piece of teriyaki chicken or a big piece of sushi
>> with chopsticks. You can't scoop up the soup with a chopstick. You
>> can't spear anything with a chopstick. It seems that modern utensils
>> make more sense but we still use chopsticks.
>>
>> And, some of us aren't very good at using them, either. (me) Is
>> considered that eating with chopsticks tidier than eating with a knife
>> and fork? It seems less tidy to me and some slurping and splattering
>> occurs in the course of using chopsticks.
>>
>> Why aren't chopsticks being phased out? Why do we use chopsticks for
>> certain types of food?
>>
>> Do they make food taste better? Is the slender chopstick able to place
>> the food on the tongue in a location that may enhance the flavor?
>>
>> Just wondering.
>>
>> Karen

>For the same reason you/we Westerners use paper napkins instead of using a linen
>napkin and napkin rings.
>What a waste!
>How about those stupid Paper and foam plates.
>Are we too lazy to wash a few dishes?
>Plastic cups - Plastic Champaign for the plastic Champaign glasses
>Gimme a break!
>Don't forget to use ever-loving plastic dinnerware
>Serrated plastic knife anyone?
>

>Well you know it's Tradition, youz can't eat tater salad wiffout a plastic fork!
>Dimitri

one of the little side dishes i had in a korean restaurant sunday was
indistinguishable (to me) from american potato salad, save it was not
neon yellow.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 20, 3:15 pm, blake murphy > wrote:

> i learned eating sashimi in the early seventies. my college roommates
> thought i was nuts. i thought it was great hangover food.

It's the wasabi. Really opens up the ol' brain.

When I was young and drank immoderately, I always went the
next day to a sushi bar that must have been run by
Koreans. I could get a small side of kimchee with my
hangover-cure sushi. That put the one-two punch on the
hangover.

Now that I'm middle-aged, I barely drink at all.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen > wrote:

> So, Western food is eaten with Western ware, and Asian food is eaten
> with Asian ware, whether in a Western or Eastern country, generally
> speaking, because of efficiency and enjoyment.
>
> As cultures cross, and the races blend, which will stand the test of
> time and cross-over in the end?

Chopsticks have already stood the test of time, having been first used
some 5.000 years ago. The modern four-pronged fork first appeared in
Italy, in the 17th century. In some other European countries, it had to
wait until the start of the 19th century to become at all acceptable.
It is just a modish trinket, one could say.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz > wrote:

> Can you imagine
> trying to eat custard (e.g.) with one of those ceramic spoons? Or
> with chopsticks?

With chopsticks, sure. Think daan tart.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

rosie > wrote:

> An acquaintance whose husband was the highest ranking Hawaiian
> in the military ( she always mentioned this when meeting someone
> LOL ), told me the real test of eating with chopsticks was eating, of
> all things a TACO!!! Never did master that

Well, the concept is certainly not unusual. Mandarin pancakes, served
for example with Peking duck, are ideally assembled and eaten with
chopsticks.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy > wrote:

> i don't think you often see asians eating from a bowl on the table.
> bowl in one hand, close to the mouth, chopsticks in the other.

Not Koreans. For them, that would be the worst kind of faux pas. The
bowl always stays on the table. Rice is eaten with a spoon, as is soup.
Everything else is eaten with metal chopsticks.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message

>>> long become rather popular in major Asian cities and it is almost
>>> invariably eaten using knives, forks and spoons there, too.

>>So, Western food is eaten with Western ware, and Asian food is eaten
>>with Asian ware, whether in a Western or Eastern country, generally
>>speaking, because of efficiency and enjoyment.
>>
>>As cultures cross, and the races blend, which will stand the test of
>>time and cross-over in the end?
>>
>>Karen

> chopsticks will win. aintchu ever seen 'blade runner'?
>
> your pal,
> rick

Or the Firefly series (Serenity movie)? Speaking of cross-overs & blends,
try bread and butter pickles with fried rice. Mmm good.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kili wrote:

> Wow, I never thought to try chopsticks on a taco. I use them for steak,
> ribs, chicken, egg rolls, wontons, why not a taco? I'm going to have to
> try it. :~)

This gives rise to some strange mental pictures. You pick up ribs with
chopsticks? You pick up a chicken drumstick or an entire egg roll with
chopsticks? Or do you cut them up first?

I'm perfectly comfortable with the notion of chicken, egg rolls, ribs, and
tacos as finger food. Why on earth would I use chopsticks to eat any of
them?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> kili wrote:
>
>> Wow, I never thought to try chopsticks on a taco. I use them for steak,
>> ribs, chicken, egg rolls, wontons, why not a taco? I'm going to have to
>> try it. :~)

> This gives rise to some strange mental pictures. You pick up ribs with
> chopsticks? You pick up a chicken drumstick or an entire egg roll with
> chopsticks? Or do you cut them up first?
>
> I'm perfectly comfortable with the notion of chicken, egg rolls, ribs, and
> tacos as finger food. Why on earth would I use chopsticks to eat any of
> them?
>
> Bob

I can't get over the vision of somebody trying to eat a taco with
chopsticks.
Personally, I like lots of furrin food, and if it includes different
utensils, so much the better. This fitting remark was recently posted on a
church sign down the street: Life is change, growth is optional.
I think those real purty, slick chopsticks is for tourists, and the locals
see us buying them and laugh and laugh and laugh. I like the bamboo versions
best. And the long cooking ones. The one with the most kitchen utensils
wins, right?
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Joneses > wrote:

> I can't get over the vision of somebody trying to eat a taco with
>chopsticks.

Easy. First you eat the filling out of the taco. Then you pick
up the tortilla and bite pieces off of it, until it's small enough
to shove into your mouth.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> The Joneses > wrote:
>
>> I can't get over the vision of somebody trying to eat a taco with
>>chopsticks.

> Easy. First you eat the filling out of the taco. Then you pick
> up the tortilla and bite pieces off of it, until it's small enough
> to shove into your mouth.
>
> Steve

Ah grasshopper, a taco salad kind of thing. That I can see.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 20:24:17 -0600, "The Joneses"
> magnanimously proffered:

>"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>> kili wrote:
>>
>>> Wow, I never thought to try chopsticks on a taco. I use them for steak,
>>> ribs, chicken, egg rolls, wontons, why not a taco? I'm going to have to
>>> try it. :~)

>> This gives rise to some strange mental pictures. You pick up ribs with
>> chopsticks? You pick up a chicken drumstick or an entire egg roll with
>> chopsticks? Or do you cut them up first?
>>
>> I'm perfectly comfortable with the notion of chicken, egg rolls, ribs, and
>> tacos as finger food. Why on earth would I use chopsticks to eat any of
>> them?
>>
>> Bob

> I can't get over the vision of somebody trying to eat a taco with
>chopsticks.

Since tacos were designed to be eaten by hand, using chopsticks sounds
kinda silly to me. Next thing you know someone will recommend eating
slices of pizza with chopsticks (using a knife and fork with pizza is
bad enough). Although chopsticks with fish & chips would work.

BTW - anyone ever figure out how to eat a taco without part of the
filling dropping out?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bob" > wrote

> Since tacos were designed to be eaten by hand, using chopsticks sounds
> kinda silly to me. Next thing you know someone will recommend eating
> slices of pizza with chopsticks (using a knife and fork with pizza is
> bad enough).

Heh, I actually stopped for a slice at one of the local places
last weekend. Next to me sat two women eating their slice
with knife and fork. I ate my pizza the way you're supposed to,
fold in half, eat starting at the pointy end. I thought to myself,
I bet they think they're classy or something, the weirdos.

(laugh) nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young > wrote:

>Heh, I actually stopped for a slice at one of the local places
>last weekend. Next to me sat two women eating their slice
>with knife and fork. I ate my pizza the way you're supposed to,
>fold in half, eat starting at the pointy end. I thought to myself,
>I bet they think they're classy or something, the weirdos.

You should know by now it's geographical. New Yorkers (prominently)
and a scattering of other Americans eat pizza the way you do,
by folding the slice axially. Other Americans try to hold a
slice level, without folding. Europeans use a knife and fork on
a pizza that is not sliced beforehand.

I bet there's places in Asia where pizza is sliced into byte-sized
bits by the chef and then eaten with chopsticks, but I'm just
guessing.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote

> Nancy Young > wrote:
>
>>Heh, I actually stopped for a slice at one of the local places
>>last weekend. Next to me sat two women eating their slice
>>with knife and fork. I ate my pizza the way you're supposed to,
>>fold in half, eat starting at the pointy end. I thought to myself,
>>I bet they think they're classy or something, the weirdos.

> You should know by now it's geographical. New Yorkers (prominently)
> and a scattering of other Americans eat pizza the way you do,
> by folding the slice axially.

Yup. Then there are the others. You know who you are.
Fork and knife, indeed.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote

>> You should know by now it's geographical. New Yorkers (prominently)
>> and a scattering of other Americans eat pizza the way you do,
>> by folding the slice axially.

>Yup. Then there are the others. You know who you are.
>Fork and knife, indeed.

Yep, that's me. But not when I'm in New York. I'm adaptable,
you see.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 23:34:56 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
magnanimously proffered:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young > wrote:
>>
>>>Heh, I actually stopped for a slice at one of the local places
>>>last weekend. Next to me sat two women eating their slice
>>>with knife and fork. I ate my pizza the way you're supposed to,
>>>fold in half, eat starting at the pointy end. I thought to myself,
>>>I bet they think they're classy or something, the weirdos.

>> You should know by now it's geographical. New Yorkers (prominently)
>> and a scattering of other Americans eat pizza the way you do,
>> by folding the slice axially.

>Yup. Then there are the others. You know who you are.
>Fork and knife, indeed.

When I first met her, my wife - who is English (and upper-middle class
to boot) - ate pizza with a knife and fork. Now she uses her fingers.

I, on the other hand, now use a knife and fork if I have to eat
chicken legs at a formal meal. And if you don't think that's an
acquired skill akin to eating tacos or a slice of pizza with
chopsticks, I'll eat my hat ... with a knife and fork, of course.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy wrote:

> Heh, I actually stopped for a slice at one of the local places
> last weekend. Next to me sat two women eating their slice
> with knife and fork. I ate my pizza the way you're supposed to,
> fold in half, eat starting at the pointy end. I thought to myself,
> I bet they think they're classy or something, the weirdos.

There was an episode of "Seinfeld" where characters ate candy bars using
knives and forks. (www.seinfeldscripts.com/ThePledgeDrive.html)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Karen > wrote:
>
>>Pondering the use of chopsticks in western society. Since forks,
>>knives, spoons were invented, why do we still use chopsticks?
>>
>>Chopsticks are disposable, which impacts the environment and uses up
>>trees.

> The vast majority of chopsticks are made of bamboo. Bamboo grows
> faster than 10 billion Asians eating at the speed of light can use up
> chopsticks. If not for chopsticks and Asians this planet would be
> hurtling through space looking like a giant bambo quilled porcupine.
>
> Sheldon

LOL!

Thanks Sheldon for the best laugh I've had in ages.

--
Interests:

Homebrewing - currently brewing Muntons Porter and Coopers Pale Ale
Chainmail - currently working on arms for a hauberk using 6mm split
metal rings
Dogs - "Dad" to Smokey, an 8-year old grey toy poodle
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Steve Pope" > wrote
>
> > Nancy Young > wrote:
> >
> >>Heh, I actually stopped for a slice at one of the local places
> >>last weekend. Next to me sat two women eating their slice
> >>with knife and fork. I ate my pizza the way you're supposed to,
> >>fold in half, eat starting at the pointy end. I thought to myself,
> >>I bet they think they're classy or something, the weirdos.

> > You should know by now it's geographical. New Yorkers (prominently)
> > and a scattering of other Americans eat pizza the way you do,
> > by folding the slice axially.

> Yup. Then there are the others. You know who you are.
> Fork and knife, indeed.

My grandfather used to eat fish and chips with a knife and fork, off a
china plate.

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> kili wrote:
>
>> Wow, I never thought to try chopsticks on a taco. I use them for
>> steak, ribs, chicken, egg rolls, wontons, why not a taco? I'm going
>> to have to try it. :~)

> This gives rise to some strange mental pictures. You pick up ribs with
> chopsticks? You pick up a chicken drumstick or an entire egg roll with
> chopsticks? Or do you cut them up first?
>
> I'm perfectly comfortable with the notion of chicken, egg rolls,
> ribs, and tacos as finger food. Why on earth would I use chopsticks
> to eat any of them?
>
> Bob

You're going to laugh. I HATE getting my fingers dirty. True story. When
crack eggs, I have to wash my hands off in between each one. I can't stand
mushing food with my hands. I don't like having greasy fingers. I know a
few others in this group are like that, too. I am not alone. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bob wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 20:24:17 -0600, "The Joneses"
> > magnanimously proffered:

>>> This gives rise to some strange mental pictures. You pick up ribs
>>> with chopsticks? You pick up a chicken drumstick or an entire egg
>>> roll with chopsticks? Or do you cut them up first?
>>>
>>> I'm perfectly comfortable with the notion of chicken, egg rolls,
>>> ribs, and tacos as finger food. Why on earth would I use chopsticks
>>> to eat any of them?
>>>
>>> Bob

>> I can't get over the vision of somebody trying to eat a taco with
>> chopsticks.

> Since tacos were designed to be eaten by hand, using chopsticks sounds
> kinda silly to me. Next thing you know someone will recommend eating
> slices of pizza with chopsticks (using a knife and fork with pizza is
> bad enough). Although chopsticks with fish & chips would work.
>
> BTW - anyone ever figure out how to eat a taco without part of the
> filling dropping out?

I'm guilty of the fork thing with a pizza, but........oh well.

I don't think it's possible to eat a taco without the filling falling out.
Is it?

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Steve Pope" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young > wrote:
>>
>>> Heh, I actually stopped for a slice at one of the local places
>>> last weekend. Next to me sat two women eating their slice
>>> with knife and fork. I ate my pizza the way you're supposed to,
>>> fold in half, eat starting at the pointy end. I thought to myself,
>>> I bet they think they're classy or something, the weirdos.

>> You should know by now it's geographical. New Yorkers (prominently)
>> and a scattering of other Americans eat pizza the way you do,
>> by folding the slice axially.

> Yup. Then there are the others. You know who you are.
> Fork and knife, indeed.
>
> nancy

I guess we can no longer be friends. Sob. :~) No, the reason I use a
knife and fork is a I don't like food on my fingers and b I tend to
choose sloppy ingredients like fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, occasionally
pineapple, and my pieces tend to turn out a little soggy. If you pick up
the slice, everything slides right off. For me, I just find it easier to
use a knife and fork.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote

> Nancy wrote:
>
>> Heh, I actually stopped for a slice at one of the local places
>> last weekend. Next to me sat two women eating their slice
>> with knife and fork. I ate my pizza the way you're supposed to,
>> fold in half, eat starting at the pointy end. I thought to myself,
>> I bet they think they're classy or something, the weirdos.

> There was an episode of "Seinfeld" where characters ate candy bars using
> knives and forks. (www.seinfeldscripts.com/ThePledgeDrive.html)

That was funny! And eating M&Ms with a spoon. Heh. I like that last line,

Elaine (standing up): What is wrong with all you people?! Have you all gone
mad?!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>, Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>On Apr 19, 4:24 pm, Karen > wrote:
>> Pondering the use of chopsticks in western society. Since forks,
>> knives, spoons were invented, why do we still use chopsticks?

[snip]
>>It seems that modern utensils make more sense but we still use chopsticks.
>> And, some of us aren't very good at using them, either. (me)

>Well, don't use them, then. Ask for silverware.

This reminded me of a conversation the other day with a lady who had
visited China with her husband in about 1981. (It was around the year
that China first opened up to foreign tourists in the modern era.)
The rest of their tour group was to come from Europe, but had
cancelled at the last moment so the pair of them had a guide and
driver at their disposal for the duration of the tour.

One evening they arrived at their accommodation for the night to find
they were the only guests in a new "tourist hotel". The staff took
advantage of this circumstance to ask the lady to show them how a
table should be set "western style" with all those funny knife and
fork gizmos. The deal was that they would cook the couple a western
dinner if she agreed to instruct them.

Well, she wasn't all that keen on the "dinner" side of the deal as
they had been really enjoying authentic Chinese food during the
tour, nonetheless she consented to help them out.

The *whole* pub staff assembled and an enormous array of utensils were
spread on the table -- the whole caboodle from entree and soup through
to dessert and "afters". She dutifully explained the purpose of each
piece and demonstrated the order in which they should be laid out.

And that's where things really fell apart -- the "dinner" deal proved
to be a course to match every damn piece of cutlery in sight! Not
only that but, as might be expected, the quality of the meal was
pretty bloody abysmal. The soup was okay, the entree edible, but the
fish (and chips! was a disaster. However, they managed to struggle
though the ordeal and survived to see the next dawn -- but the
experience had clearly left an impression on her mind. :-)

[I can sympathise with the fish problem. Forty years ago I was on an
Italian liner and one night the midnight snack in the stern bar was an
"English night". They served fish'n'chips and it was just plain
*awful*. (And not even wrapped in _The Times_. ;-) I don't know if
globalisation has improved things, but back then the Italians had no
idea how to prepare proper fish'n'chips.]

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Miche" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> Yup. Then there are the others. You know who you are.
>> Fork and knife, indeed.

> My grandfather used to eat fish and chips with a knife and fork, off a
> china plate.

Isn't there a picture out there somewhere showing Damsel
eating ribs with a fork and knife?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Karen > wrote:
>> Pondering the use of chopsticks in western society. Since forks,
>> knives, spoons were invented, why do we still use chopsticks?
>>
>> Chopsticks are disposable, which impacts the environment and uses up
>> trees.

> The vast majority of chopsticks are made of bamboo. Bamboo grows
> faster than 10 billion Asians eating at the speed of light can use up
> chopsticks. If not for chopsticks and Asians this planet would be
> hurtling through space looking like a giant bambo quilled porcupine.
>
> Sheldon

In China the vast majority of chopsticks are NOT made from bamboo but
from trees. That's why the government has established a chopsticks tax
to try to get people to reuse their chopsticks and not just throw them
away. They are concerned about the over logging of trees just for
chopsticks. They don't seem to care about a dozen other environmental
disasters waiting around their corner, but chopsticks they seem to care
about.

Melondy

Chopsticks notbob General Cooking 91 24-01-2012 11:17 PM
(2010-07-13) NS-RFC: Chopsticks! ChattyCathy General Cooking 44 19-07-2010 05:11 PM
American chopsticks notbob General Cooking 206 04-02-2009 02:58 AM
(2009-01-19) NS-RFC: Using chopsticks ChattyCathy General Cooking 134 23-01-2009 05:35 PM
Chopsticks Mekare Sushi 202 05-11-2004 02:11 AM