Old 25-01-2009, 02:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default American chopsticks

I'm sitting here watching an old episode of Law & Order. Both Waterston and
Hennessy are eating Chinese out of take-out boxes with disposable
chopsticks. Regulars know what I think about all the networks standard
representation of NY'ers always eating Chinese in this manner. If you
don't, I say it's all total crap.

We've flogged this subject ad nauseum, but have we been honest about it.
Yeah, we all use chopsticks in a restaurant cuz we wanna SHOW RESPECT for
the CULTURE (eye-roll). BUT!!... what about take-out? I've been eating
Chinese take-out all my life and have NEVER found those disposable
chopsticks in the bag. Does that mean I should have them at home all the
time?

I may occasionally use chopsticks at home, but I'm weird. I know of NO 0NE
else who does so. Maybe me and mine are declasse, but I doubt it. Do YOU
really have your own chopsticks at home for yourself and guests and family
when Asian food is on the menu? C'mon, be honest. (CC! ... a poll!)

nb

Old 25-01-2009, 02:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote on Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:12:29 GMT:

We've flogged this subject ad nauseum, but have we been honest
about it. Yeah, we all use chopsticks in a restaurant cuz we
wanna SHOW RESPECT for the CULTURE (eye-roll). BUT!!... what
about take-out? I've been eating Chinese take-out all my life
and have NEVER found those disposable chopsticks in the bag.
Does that mean I should have them at home all the time?

I may occasionally use chopsticks at home, but I'm weird. I
know of NO 0NE else who does so. Maybe me and mine are
declasse, but I doubt it. Do YOU really have your own
chopsticks at home for yourself and guests and family when
Asian food is on the menu? C'mon, be honest. (CC! ... a
poll!)

You are not weird at all. We always used chopsticks for Chinese and
Japanese food at home and, in fact, we were given two sets of ivory ones
as a wedding present (long time ago!). We also had several sets of
attractive and useful laquered ones.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 25-01-2009, 02:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
notbob wrote:

[...]

We have chopsticks in the flatware drawer, but I must admit they've not
been used in years.

Thanks for reminding me they are there. ;-) Next time I serve stir fry
to dad, I'll get a pair out just for grins and see if he uses them!
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous
Old 25-01-2009, 02:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
I'm sitting here watching an old episode of Law & Order. Both Waterston and
Hennessy are eating Chinese out of take-out boxes with disposable
chopsticks. Regulars know what I think about all the networks standard
representation of NY'ers always eating Chinese in this manner. If you
don't, I say it's all total crap.

We've flogged this subject ad nauseum, but have we been honest about it.
Yeah, we all use chopsticks in a restaurant cuz we wanna SHOW RESPECT for
the CULTURE (eye-roll). BUT!!... what about take-out? I've been eating
Chinese take-out all my life and have NEVER found those disposable
chopsticks in the bag. Does that mean I should have them at home all the
time?

I have had chopsticks packed in with my takeout on numerous occasions.
Neglecting Asian countries you would find this in places like NYC where
there are more real Chinese places. The mom & pop place in my small town
also does it if they know you want them or if you ask.

I may occasionally use chopsticks at home, but I'm weird. I know of NO 0NE
else who does so. Maybe me and mine are declasse, but I doubt it. Do YOU
really have your own chopsticks at home for yourself and guests and family
when Asian food is on the menu? C'mon, be honest. (CC! ... a poll!)

nb

Sure, I have a bag of the split wood disposable ones and a couple sets
of reusable lacquered ones. I also have some large long ones used for
cooking.
Old 25-01-2009, 02:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
Do YOU
really have your own chopsticks at home for yourself and guests and family
when Asian food is on the menu? C'mon, be honest. (CC! ... a poll!)

nb

Yeah, a bunch (probably 10 sets or so?) as well as a pair of long
cooking ones. They vary from smooth bamboo to ornate enamel things. I
could probably also come up with some odd disposable sets that the carry
out place toss in the bag too.

Old 25-01-2009, 02:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 9:12*am, notbob wrote:
[...]

We also have both disposable and laquered sets here, and use them,
mostly for sushi & sashimi takeout, but almost never for Chinese, and
we never eat Chinese out of the box. I have lovely Asian dinnerware
and loads of Asian decor in our home, almost anywhere you look.
Neither of us is of Asian decent but we could eat sushi & sashimi
easily 4 or 5 days a week if we could afford it. MMMMM that's
gooooooood stuff!!!
Nan
Old 25-01-2009, 03:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 9:12*am, notbob wrote:
*I've been eating
Chinese take-out all my life and have NEVER found those disposable
chopsticks in the bag.

I have not had a Chinese take out in many years and don't remember but
our sushi comes with chopsticks

*Do YOU
really have your own chopsticks at home for yourself and guests and family
when Asian food is on the menu? *C'mon, be honest.

Of course, doesn't everyone? I use them when cooking as well as
eating.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada
Old 25-01-2009, 03:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nan" wrote in message

On Jan 25, 9:12 am, notbob wrote:
[...]

I can't say I have much experience of take-out Chinese food since it's
often greasier even than the restaurant stuff but I think I have had to
ask for chopsticks to be included. Most of the take out sushi that I eat
comes from franchised counters in upscale grocery stores and they
usually have packages of chopsticks prominently displayed for taking as
well as packets of extra soy sauce.

--
James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 25-01-2009, 03:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:12:29 GMT, notbob wrote:

I'm sitting here watching an old episode of Law & Order. Both Waterston and
Hennessy are eating Chinese out of take-out boxes with disposable
chopsticks. Regulars know what I think about all the networks standard
representation of NY'ers always eating Chinese in this manner. If you
don't, I say it's all total crap.

they eat chinese take-out with chopsticks because they are liberal pussies.
don't you know anything?

blake
Old 25-01-2009, 04:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 10:55*am, blake murphy wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:12:29 GMT, notbob wrote:
I'm sitting here watching an old episode of Law & Order. *Both Waterston and
Hennessy are eating Chinese out of take-out boxes with disposable
chopsticks. *Regulars know what I think about all the networks standard
representation of NY'ers always eating Chinese in this manner. *If you
don't, I say it's all total crap.

they eat chinese take-out with chopsticks because they are liberal pussies. *
don't you know anything?

blake

Probably easier to use the chopsticks than to use the cheap plastic
forks. Many cheap forks I've seen are TOO SHORT and bends like wet
noodle.

The whole idea of eating out of the box is you don't have to wash
dishes.

Old 25-01-2009, 04:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

We use chopsticks a lot here at home and they also get included with
carry-out Chinese or Japanese from many places in the area . I live 25
miles from NYC. Sometimes the Chinese places do not include
chopsticks, but the Japanese always do. In fact, if one gets sushi at
a market or grocery store, chopsticks are put into the bag.

When I lived in the city, we'd complain if the Chinese or Japanese
carry-out forgot to include chopsticks. I would have been as if
another carry-out place forgot to include plastic forks and spoons.

Boron
Old 25-01-2009, 04:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 9:12�am, notbob wrote:
[...]

I have quite a few sets of chopsticks, most are ordinary bamboo, a few
are plastic made to look like ivory, the kind that used to be given
away at NYC Chinese restaurants, some are imprinted with the name and
phone number of the restaurant. I also have four sets of black
laquered ones from Japan that was a gift, never used. I've very
occasionally used the plain bamboo ones, can't even recall the last
time. I really don't enjoy food eaten with chopsticks, it's like
eating with tweezers.

Old 25-01-2009, 05:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote in message
==NB's chopstick and culture schtick==
I may occasionally use chopsticks at home, but I'm weird.

You're as loopy as a bowl of Fruitloops, nb, but why would
using chopsticks occasionally at home be weird? Big Brother is
the only one that'll know...

I know of NO 0NE else who does so. [snip]

Now you do know someone, several when you add in ma familia.
Spawn's dexterity with chopsticks rivals many of her CJK
friends.

The Ranger

Old 25-01-2009, 05:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" wrote in message
[...]

I get the disposable ones from my stores and use them for a lot of things,
including eating. I'm deft enough for most tasks except for loose rice.
I'm not into the little bowl thing where you shovel food into your moth
while making gulping and slurping sounds loud enough to wake the dead and
then a belch so strong it blows the paper napkins off the table.

I can only handle so much "authentic."

Paul

Old 25-01-2009, 05:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 11:12*am, notbob wrote:
[...]

I have about a dozen or so sets of chopsticks, not including the
couple of split wood disposables hanging around in the "junk" drawer.
I admit that we don't use them often, hubby does moreso than i. My
chopstick skill is not exactly well developed. I joke that i'm on a
"chopstick diet" when i use them as i never finish my rice or noodles,
its just too much trouble! Hubby is much better, and is as likely to
use the chopsticks as a fork if i cook asian style.

Chopsticks notbob General Cooking 91 24-01-2012 11:17 PM
(2010-07-13) NS-RFC: Chopsticks! ChattyCathy General Cooking 44 19-07-2010 05:11 PM
Why do we still use chopsticks? Karen[_3_] General Cooking 199 25-04-2007 04:46 PM
Where can I get personalized chopsticks Timur Tabi Sushi 2 05-12-2005 06:38 PM
Chopsticks Mekare Sushi 202 05-11-2004 02:11 AM