Old 04-09-2004, 02:02 AM
Mekare

Default Chopsticks

Someone recently asked for a good place to buy chopsticks. I just wanted to
say I recently had a very good experience with EverythingChopsticks.com (
http://www.everythingchopsticks.com/ ). I ended up speaking with them over
the phone, and they were very friendly and professional. Just my 2 cents!

~ Mekare

Old 04-09-2004, 01:39 PM
Dan Logcher

Mekare wrote:

Someone recently asked for a good place to buy chopsticks. I just wanted to
say I recently had a very good experience with EverythingChopsticks.com (
http://www.everythingchopsticks.com/ ). I ended up speaking with them over
the phone, and they were very friendly and professional. Just my 2 cents!

None of the chopsticks on the site, especially the Japanese ones, had the rough
area near the tip. My brother-in-law bought us two sets of Japanese chopsticks
during a trip that have this, and it makes picking up the slippery stuff a lot
easier.

They are veyr nice looking though.. but I have several sets of Thai chopsticks
made of different blends of laminated hardwood.

--
Dan

Old 04-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Gerry

In article , Dan Logcher
wrote:

Mekare wrote:

Someone recently asked for a good place to buy chopsticks. I just
wanted to say I recently had a very good experience with
EverythingChopsticks.com ( http://www.everythingchopsticks.com/ ).
I ended up speaking with them over the phone, and they were very
friendly and professional. Just my 2 cents!

None of the chopsticks on the site, especially the Japanese ones, had
the rough area near the tip. My brother-in-law bought us two sets of
Japanese chopsticks during a trip that have this, and it makes
picking up the slippery stuff a lot easier.

They are veyr nice looking though.. but I have several sets of Thai
chopsticks made of different blends of laminated hardwood.

One of those amazing surprises: We bumped into a chopstick store in the
neightborhood of Kobe named Motomachi where we probably spent 45
minues. Hundreds of pairs of chopsticks on the wall, each beautiful,
different, curious, fascinating. On the front (as illustrated below),
though I can't read the kanji of the store's name, it says it's been
operating for 1,100+ years; since 894!

http://tinyurl.com/6k2bt

Many of these really too expensive, many of them well within reason but
to what end? Still we got a few. All hand-made by artisans from all
over the country.

Another surprise: with iPhoto and Contribute, and a membership at
mac.com, and almost no webpage techno skill, I illustrated it (above
link) in less than 10 minutes.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.

Old 04-09-2004, 04:54 PM
Dan Logcher

Gerry wrote:

In article , Dan Logcher
wrote:

Mekare wrote:

[...]

That's a damn lot of chopsticks.. What were some general prices ranges
in $?

--
Dan

Old 04-09-2004, 04:54 PM
Dan Logcher

Old 04-09-2004, 10:51 PM
D. Lutjen

"Dan Logcher" wrote in message
Mekare wrote:

They are veyr nice looking though.. but I have several sets of Thai

chopsticks
made of different blends of laminated hardwood.

I bought my daily use chopsticks in Tokyo in 1987; ¥5,000 and well worth
every ¥en. Just beginning to show some wear on the tips. It pays not to
scrimp when it comes to chopsticks. I have a "his and her" set I bought
back in 1980 - never used. Made out of small branches with a gorgeous
finish . . . on the large end, you can see the growth rings of the twig.
Beautiful workmanship. I never use these.

Old 05-09-2004, 12:50 AM
Dan Logcher

D. Lutjen wrote:

I bought my daily use chopsticks in Tokyo in 1987; ¥5,000 and well worth
every ¥en. Just beginning to show some wear on the tips. It pays not to
scrimp when it comes to chopsticks. I have a "his and her" set I bought
back in 1980 - never used. Made out of small branches with a gorgeous
finish . . . on the large end, you can see the growth rings of the twig.
Beautiful workmanship. I never use these.

The two pair my bro-in-law got us is a "his and hers" set as well.
My pair are slightly longer than hers, and red and black laquer vs
blue and black for hers. I really like the rough tips for picking
up sashimi.

The other day I saw a guy at a sushi bar with stainless steel chopsticks.
Probably very slippery with sashimi.

--
Dan

Old 05-09-2004, 01:45 AM
FreddieN

D. Lutjen wrote:

I bought my daily use chopsticks in Tokyo in 1987; ¥5,000 and well worth
every ¥en. Just beginning to show some wear on the tips. It pays not

scrimp when it comes to chopsticks. I have a "his and her" set I bought
back in 1980 - never used. Made out of small branches with a gorgeous
finish . . . on the large end, you can see the growth rings of the twig.
Beautiful workmanship. I never use these.

The two pair my bro-in-law got us is a "his and hers" set as well.
My pair are slightly longer than hers, and red and black laquer vs
blue and black for hers. I really like the rough tips for picking
up sashimi.

The other day I saw a guy at a sushi bar with stainless steel chopsticks.
Probably very slippery with sashimi.

--
Dan

Steel chopsticks are unique to Korea. Neither the Japanese nor Chinese
use them.

Old 05-09-2004, 01:57 AM
Gerry

In article , Dan Logcher
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/6k2bt

Many of these really too expensive, many of them well within reason but
to what end? Still we got a few. All hand-made by artisans from all
over the country.

That's a damn lot of chopsticks.. What were some general prices ranges
in $?

I can't remember but am guessing they ran, after exchange rate, from 5
to 100 bucks or more. That's a guess really. Early on I simply stopped
looking at prices, since I knew I wasn't buying. We did buy a few pair
in the end, quite rustic, to take home as gifts. Four or five pairs
probably cost us a total of 20 bucks.

Chopsticks notbob General Cooking 91 24-01-2012 11:17 PM
(2010-07-13) NS-RFC: Chopsticks! ChattyCathy General Cooking 44 19-07-2010 05:11 PM
American chopsticks notbob General Cooking 206 04-02-2009 02:58 AM
(2009-01-19) NS-RFC: Using chopsticks ChattyCathy General Cooking 134 23-01-2009 05:35 PM
Why do we still use chopsticks? Karen[_3_] General Cooking 199 25-04-2007 04:46 PM