Old 20-01-2012, 07:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chopsticks

Do you use them? For what?
Are you proficient with them?
How often? For non-Asian foods?

The history can be found on wiki, so I'll bypass that. I've been
using them, regularly, for about 6 yrs. I still don't consider myself
anywhere near having mastered them. More comfortable and use 'em more
and more, but still not my primary eating implement.

I notice my old geezer honky friend, who uses chopsticks exclusively,
has mastered them to a point where it's natural. He even does what I
call the scissors method --which is choreographed nowhere on the web.
Instead of the narrow isosceles trianble hold, most common with
novice/intermediate users, he crosses the sticks and pinches the food
item in a backward cross pinch. This is not unusual, having seen
scores of old geezers at pho houses using the exact same scissors-like
method. My buddy can't even articulate what he's doing, having done
it so long. But, I see the distinction.

BTW, nothing ****es me off like the lame-O retard TV producers who
consistently, to the point of boredom, always show ppl eating Chinese
take-out from the box with chopsticks, like every single living
individual in NYC is born with the inate ability to eat with
chopsticks. The only exception to this insane stereotype is
Christopher Noth on Law and Order, who once actually ate Chinese
take-out from the box with a plastic fork, like most real ppl! Mark
this day!!

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!

Old 20-01-2012, 07:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob asked:

Do you use them?

Yes.

For what?

Eating and cooking. I use chopsticks wherever I find them more
expedient, e.g., with all manner of long noodles or for dishes which
don't have too-large or too-small chunks of food. I use them in cooking
frequently, especially when stir-frying with a nonstick pan.

Are you proficient with them?

I get by.

How often? For non-Asian foods?

Doesn't matter to me whether the food is Asian or not. Maybe four times
a week for eating, and that same number for cooking.

Bob
Old 20-01-2012, 07:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20 Jan 2012 07:04:38 GMT, notbob wrote:

Do you use them?

I use them, yes - but not very often.

For what?

I use them to eat with and I only use them when in that kind of
restaurant. I do have some at home for family members who want to use
them. When I'm eating at home, give me a fork and damn the ethnicity
of the meal.

Are you proficient with them?

I'd say so, not an expert by any means - I can't twirl noodles with
them, but I haven't seen many who can.

How often?

As little as humanly possible. Two sticks are not my idea of eating
utensils.

For non-Asian foods?

H*ll no.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Old 20-01-2012, 07:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-01-20, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

Doesn't matter to me whether the food is Asian or not. Maybe four times
a week for eating, and that same number for cooking.

Likewise.

Use 'em when I can. Sometimes a spatula is jes a better tool when
cooking. I often eat popcorn w/ sticks, specially the flavor coated
p-corns that can be so messy eating by hand. Good c-stick practice.

nb

Old 20-01-2012, 07:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" wrote in message
[...]

I use them for Asian food. I have some really pretty ones. We bought a ton
of them one year for my daughter's birthday party. It was Sagwa the Chinese
Siamese kitten party. So of course we had Chinese food and we gave out
fancy chopsticks for all the guests to eat with and keep.

Old 20-01-2012, 08:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 19, 11:04*pm, notbob wrote:
Do you use them? *For what?
Are you proficient with them?
How often? *For non-Asian foods?

At home, I use bamboo chopsticks to eat things I cook in the wok; out,
mostly for Japanese food. Chinese restaurants give you plastic
chopsticks to use, which gives me no grip on something round, smooth,
and greasy like stirfried gai lan. Other than that, I am proficient.

One useful chopstick featu when you're heating oil in the wok,
stick a (bamboo) chopstick point down into the oil. When you see
bubbles coming up from the point, the oil is hot enough for frying.

NB: Not even Asians should use chopsticks to eat lunchtime "rice
plates." The sauce coats and lubricates the rice, forcing one to pick
it up grain by grain, should you be foolish enough to try to use
chopsticks.
Old 20-01-2012, 08:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 19, 11:04*pm, notbob wrote:
Do you use them? *For what?
Are you proficient with them?
How often? *For non-Asian foods?

I could use chopsticks to eat anything. However, Chinese people tell
me if they have a fork, they would (other things being equal) use
a fork, rather than chopsticks. Kind of a crime of opportunity.

There is one advantage, with (Japanese) chopsticks in a sushi place,
you can grasp the fish, dip it into soy sauce, without having to
"prick" it with a fork. They are like tongs in that respect.

Somebody pay me, and I'll eat a chicken-fried steak w/ sides using
chopsticks.

S.
Old 20-01-2012, 09:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 20, 3:06*am, spamtrap1888 wrote:
On Jan 19, 11:04*pm, notbob wrote:

Do you use them? *For what?
Are you proficient with them?
How often? *For non-Asian foods?

At home, I use bamboo chopsticks to eat things I cook in the wok; out,
mostly for Japanese food. Chinese restaurants give you plastic
chopsticks to use, which gives me no grip on something round, smooth,
and greasy like stirfried gai lan. Other than that, I am proficient.

One useful chopstick featu when you're heating oil in the wok,
stick a (bamboo) chopstick point down into the oil. When you see
bubbles coming up from the point, the oil is hot enough for frying.

NB: Not even Asians should use chopsticks to eat lunchtime "rice
plates." The sauce coats and lubricates the rice, forcing one to pick
it up grain by grain, should you be foolish enough to try to use
chopsticks.

you're supposed to bring the plate of rice close to your mouth, and
use the chop sticks to shovel it into your mouth.
Old 20-01-2012, 10:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20 Jan 2012 07:04:38 GMT, notbob wrote:

Do you use them?

Yes

For what?

Stirring small cans of paint or stain, filling screw holes, mixing
epoxy.

Are you proficient with them?

Sure, especially with epoxy.

Old 20-01-2012, 01:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2012 2:04 AM, notbob wrote:
[...]

What does our local electric utility (ppl) have to do with chopsticks?
Old 20-01-2012, 01:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2012 3:21 AM, Steve Pope wrote:
On Jan 19, 11:04 pm, wrote:
Do you use them? For what?
Are you proficient with them?
How often? For non-Asian foods?

I could use chopsticks to eat anything. However, Chinese people tell
me if they have a fork, they would (other things being equal) use
a fork, rather than chopsticks. Kind of a crime of opportunity.

There is one advantage, with (Japanese) chopsticks in a sushi place,
you can grasp the fish, dip it into soy sauce, without having to
"prick" it with a fork. They are like tongs in that respect.

That seems to be another as seen on TV thing. It is considered polite to
pick up sushi with your fingers.

Old 20-01-2012, 03:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2012 2:32 AM, sf wrote:
On 20 Jan 2012 07:04:38 GMT, wrote:

Do you use them?

I use them, yes - but not very often.

For what?

I use them to eat with and I only use them when in that kind of
restaurant. I do have some at home for family members who want to use
them. When I'm eating at home, give me a fork and damn the ethnicity
of the meal.

Are you proficient with them?

I'd say so, not an expert by any means - I can't twirl noodles with
them, but I haven't seen many who can.

How often?

As little as humanly possible. Two sticks are not my idea of eating
utensils.

For non-Asian foods?

H*ll no.

I use them for Chinese and Japanese food but I've never learned how to
cut with them, unlike the mothers of some friends of my daughter. I've
also used them for Spaghetti (as I suspect Marco Polo did!) Unlike some
people in Thai restaurants, I normally use a spoon and fork as do the Thais.

--
Jim Silverton

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Old 20-01-2012, 03:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 20, 2:04*am, notbob wrote:
Do you use them? *For what?
Are you proficient with them?
How often? *For non-Asian foods?
/

Can't handle them for eating. Too old to
learn. Not a thing I need on my resume.

I DO take em home tho if they're plopped down with my food, as I
figure they won't re-serve them. I find em useful for poking coffee
grounds, lifting a waffle from the iron, shoring up plants.....

If you attach a wet paper towel to the end, it can make a dandy
cleaning device for small, hard to reach places.