Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What exactly is *pre*heating?

Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up or
not. You don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some vegetables.
Pre-heat...sheesh, gimme a break.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Davlo wrote:

> Can someone explain how you pre heat an oven?

This old whine again? Why do you care? It's idiomatic English. Do you
actually have trouble understanding it?

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Davlo wrote:

> Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up or
> not. You don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some vegetables.
> Pre-heat...sheesh, gimme a break.

It works for most people. You turn the oven on and heat it up to the
required cooking temperature so that is ready to throw in what ever you
cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Default User" > wrote in message
> Davlo wrote:
>
>> Can someone explain how you pre heat an oven?

> This old whine again? Why do you care? It's idiomatic English. Do you
> actually have trouble understanding it?

Yes, I do have trouble understanding it. Once it's preheated, do I turn it
off and then back on to the actual required temperature. Also, I wonder if
it's really necessary to lather, rinse and then *repeat* when I shampoo my
hair. Do you have any pearls of wisdom on this dilemma too? Thanks for your
enlightening edification. You rool dude!! Oh, and is idiomatic like idiotic?
Please clarify (not like the butter).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Davlo wrote:
>>
>> Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up or
>> not. You don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some vegetables.
>> Pre-heat...sheesh, gimme a break.

> It works for most people. You turn the oven on and heat it up to the
> required cooking temperature so that is ready to throw in what ever you
> cooking.

Why doesn't this work for *all* people? How do you know it works for most
people? Have you asked? I didn't get that memo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 9, 5:01 pm, "Davlo" > wrote:
> Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up or
> not. You don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some vegetables.
> Pre-heat...sheesh, gimme a break.

Why are you called a troll when you probably don't live under a
bridge?

(And is it improper for a cooking board to not feed you?)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Davlo" > wrote in message ...
> Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up or not. You
> don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some vegetables. Pre-heat...sheesh,
> gimme a break.

Pre- as a prefix generally indicates something BEFORE. Since you are heating the oven
BEFORE using it to bake/roast/whatever, you are PRE-heating it. Simple.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 9, 4:01 pm, "Davlo" > wrote:
> Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up or
> not. You don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some vegetables.
> Pre-heat...sheesh, gimme a break.

Do anything you want to do, and have all the breaks you need.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"RacinReaver" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Apr 9, 5:01 pm, "Davlo" > wrote:
>> Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up or
>> not. You don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some vegetables.
>> Pre-heat...sheesh, gimme a break.

> Why are you called a troll when you probably don't live under a
> bridge?
>
> (And is it improper for a cooking board to not feed you?)

Geez - let's all take ourselves so seriously. I guess a little attempt at
levity is something that some people can't fathom.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Davlo wrote:

> "Default User" > wrote in message
> > Davlo wrote:
> >
> > > Can someone explain how you pre heat an oven?

> > This old whine again? Why do you care? It's idiomatic English. Do
> > you actually have trouble understanding it?

> Yes, I do have trouble understanding it.

I don't believe you.

> Once it's preheated, do I
> turn it off and then back on to the actual required temperature.

Nonsense. If it doesn't instruct you to change the temperature, why
would you?

Only by being perverse (which you can do with almost any English
sentence) can you pretend to have trouble with it.

Brian

won't shut up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up or
> not. You don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some vegetables.
> Pre-heat...sheesh, gimme a break.

If that's a problem for you, come to Canada, where people routinely remove
food from the deep freeze to de-thaw, or to un-thaw...

And the streets are paved with ash-phalt...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Davlo" > wrote in message

> Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up
> or not. You don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some
> vegetables. Pre-heat...sheesh, gimme a break.

Do you use a Ho****er Heater?
Why would you heat hot water?

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Davlo" > wrote in message
> Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up or
> not. You don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some vegetables.
> Pre-heat...sheesh, gimme a break.

I do lot of "pre-eating."

I eat before breakfast. I eat before lunch. I eat before dinner.

I also eat before I go to bed but that is not technically "pre-eating."

Mitch

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" BOB" > wrote in message
> "Davlo" > wrote in message
>
>> Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up
>> or not. You don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some
>> vegetables. Pre-heat...sheesh, gimme a break.

> Do you use a Ho****er Heater?
> Why would you heat hot water?
>
> BOB

Because if you didn't heat it you would have COLD water.

Mitch

Posted to rec.food.cooking

And what exactly is pre-boarding an airplane? Does it have the same
time dynamics as pre-heating?
http://chefofsteel.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 9, 5:01 pm, "Davlo" > wrote:
> Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up or
> not. You don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some vegetables.
> Pre-heat...sheesh, gimme a break.

Dear Davlo:
I see you are getting a nitwit answer(s), trying to make YOU look like
the nitwit.

However, in newer (I don't know how new) conventional/convection
ovens, the answer is:

"While in a preheat mode, the convection fan will reach it's target
temperature faster."

This is different than just pressing or turning a knob to a certain
'bake' temperature.
HTH

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 9, 8:55 pm, "Dee Dee" > wrote:
> On Apr 9, 5:01 pm, "Davlo" > wrote:
>
> > Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up or
> > not. You don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some vegetables.
> > Pre-heat...sheesh, gimme a break.

> Dear Davlo:
> I see you are getting a nitwit answer(s), trying to make YOU look like
> the nitwit.
>
> However, in newer (I don't know how new) conventional/convection
> ovens, the answer is:
>
> "While in a preheat mode, the convection fan will reach it's target
> temperature faster."
>
> This is different than just pressing or turning a knob to a certain
> 'bake' temperature.
> HTH
>
> Dee Dee

I failed to mention also, that when the recipe says to 'preheat the
oven,' that is an indication that the pan/dish will go into a 'hot
oven,' as opposed to an oven that has not been heated to temperature.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Davlo wrote:

> >> Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up or
> >> not. You don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some vegetables.
> >> Pre-heat...sheesh, gimme a break.

> > It works for most people. You turn the oven on and heat it up to the
> > required cooking temperature so that is ready to throw in what ever you
> > cooking.

> Why doesn't this work for *all* people? How do you know it works for most
> people? Have you asked? I didn't get that memo.

I dunno. Maybe it's because some people are a little dense.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Davlo" wrote:

> Can someone explain.

Um, pre heating = foreplay.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

and a "near miss".. shouldn't that be a "hit" or a "near hit"?

Davlo wrote:
> Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up
> or not. You don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some
> vegetables. Pre-heat...sheesh, gimme a break.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Davlo" > wrote in message
> Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up or
> not. You don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some vegetables.
> Pre-heat...sheesh, gimme a break.

What's the next thing you were planning to cook in the oven this week?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
.121...
> "Davlo" > :
>
>> Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up or
>> not. You don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some vegetables.
>> Pre-heat...sheesh, gimme a break.

> Qvpgvbanel.pbz Hanoevqtrq (i 1.1)
>
> cer·urng
>
> ireo (hfrq jvgu bowrpg) gb urng orsber hfvat be orsber fhowrpgvat gb fbzr
> shegure cebprff: gb cerurng na bira orsber onxvat n pnxr.
>
> [Bevtva: 1895–1900; cer- + urng]
> Michael

Are you sure about this, Michael?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
6.121...
> "JoeSpareBedroom" >
> :
>
>> Are you sure about this, Michael?

> Lrf V nz
>
> Zvpunry

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 1>,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:

> "JoeSpareBedroom" >
> :
>
> > Are you sure about this, Michael?

> Lrf V nz
>
> Zvpunry

Rot on the floor, laughing 13!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 8:39 am, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:
> "JoeSpareBedroom" @n ews01.roc.ny:
>
> > Are you sure about this, Michael?

> Lrf V nz
>
> Zvpunry
> --
> "The age of your children is a key factor in how quickly you are served in
> a restaurant. We once had a waiter in Canada who said, "Could I get you
> your check?" and we answered, "How about the menu first?""
> ~Erma Bombeck

Huh?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 17:01:14 -0400, "Davlo" > wrote:

>Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up or
>not. You don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some vegetables.
>Pre-heat...sheesh, gimme a break.

Pre-heating means getting the oven hot BEFORE you put the thing you're
baking into it, rather than putting the dish into a cold oven and
heating it up slowly. It doesn't make a difference for a lot of things
but cakes are very temperature-sensitive. And obviously, if you only
want to bake something for ten minutes, it's not going to be ten
minutes going into a cold oven or you'll wonder why it's still raw.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen AKA Kajikit" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 17:01:14 -0400, "Davlo" > wrote:
>
>>Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up or
>>not. You don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some vegetables.
>>Pre-heat...sheesh, gimme a break.
>>

> Pre-heating means getting the oven hot BEFORE you put the thing you're
> baking into it, rather than putting the dish into a cold oven and
> heating it up slowly. It doesn't make a difference for a lot of things
> but cakes are very temperature-sensitive. And obviously, if you only
> want to bake something for ten minutes, it's not going to be ten
> minutes going into a cold oven or you'll wonder why it's still raw.

....and maybe burnt on the bottom, from the element or burner being full-on
during the preheat period.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:

> It's sad how many people misuse the prefix "pre." It means "before" so
> pre-X means before X, as in a pre-nupital agreement. It does not mean
> "already done" as it is incorrectly used in pre-peeled, pre-heated, etc.
> You can buy peeled carrots or unpeeled carrots. You can bake in a heated
> oven.
>
> I am waiting for this to be combined with the misuse of "de" in
> "deboned" so that someone will buy boned chicken and call it pre-de-
> boned.

You're wrong. What's sad is how many espouse the meanings of words
without ever consulting a dictionary.

Meriam Webster

And it's "preheat", no hyphen.

pre?heat
transitive verb
Pronunciation: (")pre-'het
: to heat beforehand ; especially : to heat (an oven) to a designated
temperature before using for cooking
---

pre-
Function: prefix
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French & Latin; Old French, from
Latin prae-, from prae in front of, before -- more at FOR

1 a (1) : earlier than : prior to : before <Precambrian> <prehistoric>
(2) : preparatory or prerequisite to <premedical> b : in advance :
beforehand <precancel> <prepay>

2 : in front of : anterior to <preaxial> <premolar>

pre?ad?mis?sion pre?adult pre?ag?ri?cul?tur?al pre?an?es?thet?ic
pre?an?nounce pre?ap?prove pre?ar?range pre?ar?range?ment
pre?as?sem?bled pre?as?sign pre?bake pre?bat?tle pre?bib?li?cal
pre?book pre?break?fast pre?cap?i?tal?ist pre?chill pre-Christ?mas
pre?clear pre?clear?ance pre?code pre?co?i?tal pre?col?lege
pre?col?le?giate pre?co?lo?nial pre?com?bus?tion pre?com?mit?ment
pre?com?pute pre?com?put?er pre?con?cert pre?con?cil?i?ar
pre?con?quest pre?con?so?nan?tal pre?con?struct?ed pre?con?ven?tion
pre?con?vic?tion pre?cool pre?cop?u?la?to?ry pre?crash pre?crease
pre?cri?sis pre?cut pre?dawn pre?de?fine pre?de?liv?ery
pre?de?par?ture pre?des?ig?nate pre?de?val?u?a?tion pre?de?vel?op?ment
pre?din?ner pre?dis?charge pre?dis?cov?ery pre?dive pre?drill
pre?dy?nas?tic pre?elec?tion pre?elec?tric pre?em?bar?go
pre?em?ploy?ment pre?en?roll?ment pre?erect pre?es?tab?lish
pre?eth?i?cal pre?ex?per?i?ment pre?fade pre?fas?cist pre?feu?dal
pre?fight pre?file pre?filled pre?fi?nance pre?fire pre?flame
pre?flight pre?for?mat pre?for?mu?late pre?fresh?man pre?fro?zen
pre?game pre?gen?i?tal pre?har?vest pre?head?ache pre?hir?ing
pre?hol?i?day pre?hu?man pre?in?au?gu?ral pre?in?cor?po?ra?tion
pre?in?duc?tion pre?in?dus?tri?al pre?in?ter?view pre?in?va?sion
pre?kin?der?gar?ten pre?launch pre?life
pre?lit?er?ary pre?log?i?cal pre?lunch pre?lun?cheon pre?made
pre?man?u?fac?ture pre?mar?i?tal pre?mar?i?tal?ly pre?mar?ket
pre?mar?ket?ing pre?mar?riage pre?meal pre?mea?sure pre?me?di?e?val
pre?meet pre?mei?ot?ic pre?men?o?paus?al pre?merg?er pre?mi?gra?tion
pre?mod?ern pre?mod?i?fi?ca?tion pre?mod?i?fy pre?moist?en pre?mold
pre?molt pre?mor?al pre?my?cot?ic pre?noon pre?no?ti?fi?ca?tion
pre?no?ti?fy pre?num?ber pre?open?ing pre?op?er?a?tion?al pre?or?der
pre?paste pre?per?for?mance pre?pill pre?plan pre?por?tion
pre?pre?pared pre?pres?i?den?tial pre?price pre?pri?ma?ry
pre?pro?duc?tion pre?pro?gram pre?psy?che?del?ic pre?pub?li?ca?tion
pre?punch pre?pu?pal pre?pur?chase pre?qual?i?fi?ca?tion pre?qual?i?fy
pre?race pre?re?ces?sion pre?re?cord?ed pre?re?hears?al pre?re?lease
pre?re?quire pre?re?tire?ment pre?re?turn pre?re?view
pre?re?vi?sion?ist pre?rev?o?lu?tion pre?rev?o?lu?tion?ary pre?rinse
pre?ri?ot pre?rock pre?ro?man?tic pre?sale pre?sched?ule pre?screen
pre?sea?son pre?sen?tence pre?sen?tenc?ing pre?ser?vice pre?set
pre?set?tle?ment pre?show pre?slaugh?ter pre?sleep pre?slice pre?song
pre?spec?i?fy pre?split pre?stamp pre?ster?il?ize pre?stor?age
pre?strike pre?struc?ture pre?sum?mit pre?sur?gery pre?sweet?en
pre?symp?tom?at?ic pre?tape pre?tax
pre?tech?no?log?i?cal pre?tele?vi?sion pre?ter?mi?na?tion
pre?the?a?ter pre?tour?na?ment pre?train pre?trav?el pre?treat
pre?treat?ment pre?trial pre?trimmed pre?type pre?uni?fi?ca?tion
pre?uni?ver?si?ty pre?vi?a?ble pre?war pre?warn pre?wash pre?wean?ing
pre?work pre?wrap
---

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 18:54:08 -0400, "Davlo" > wrote:

>"RacinReaver" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> On Apr 9, 5:01 pm, "Davlo" > wrote:
>>> Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up or
>>> not. You don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some vegetables.
>>> Pre-heat...sheesh, gimme a break.

>> Why are you called a troll when you probably don't live under a
>> bridge?
>>
>> (And is it improper for a cooking board to not feed you?)
>>

>Geez - let's all take ourselves so seriously. I guess a little attempt at
>levity is something that some people can't fathom.

The word "attempt" is the operative one, not levity.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mitch Scherer wrote:
> " BOB" > wrote in message
>> "Davlo" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up
>>> or not. You don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some
>>> vegetables. Pre-heat...sheesh, gimme a break.

>> Do you use a Ho****er Heater?
>> Why would you heat hot water?
>>
>> BOB

> Because if you didn't heat it you would have COLD water.

Would it be cold hot water?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>> > It works for most people. You turn the oven on and heat it up to the
>> > required cooking temperature so that is ready to throw in what ever you
>> > cooking.

>> Why doesn't this work for *all* people? How do you know it works for most
>> people? Have you asked? I didn't get that memo.

> I dunno. Maybe it's because some people are a little dense.

And what exactly is this "boiling water" thing?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pennyaline" > wrote in message

> Mitch Scherer wrote:

> > > Do you use a Ho****er Heater?
> > > Why would you heat hot water?
> > >
> > > BOB

> > Because if you didn't heat it you would have COLD water.

Not if I heated *hot* water?

> Would it be cold hot water?

Possibly.

I still want to know why anyone would heat hot water. ;-)

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Davlo" >
wrote:

> Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up or
> not. You don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some vegetables.
> Pre-heat...sheesh, gimme a break.

It's bringing the oven to the recipe-specified temperature before you
put the goods into the oven.

For some recipes, "oven spring" is important , for others, less so.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com - Comfort Food for Bob Pastorio, updated
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:

> "Davlo" > :
>
> > Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up or
> > not. You don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some vegetables.
> > Pre-heat...sheesh, gimme a break.

> Qvpgvbanel.pbz Hanoevqtrq (i 1.1)
>
> cer·urng
>
> ireo (hfrq jvgu bowrpg) gb urng orsber hfvat be orsber fhowrpgvat gb fbzr
> shegure cebprff: gb cerurng na bira orsber onxvat n pnxr.
>
> [Bevtva: 1895–1900; cer- + urng]
>

> Michael

What's with the Rot-13?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com - Comfort Food for Bob Pastorio, updated
3-16-2007
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog - Orange Honey
Garlic Chicken, 3-29-2007
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOB wrote:
> "Pennyaline" > wrote in message
>
>> Mitch Scherer wrote:

>>> Because if you didn't heat it you would have COLD water.

> Not if I heated *hot* water?
>> Would it be cold hot water?

> Possibly.
>
> I still want to know why anyone would heat hot water. ;-)

Clearly, you've never experienced that bone-numbing yelp and heard
someone yell frantically "The hot water's cold!" It usually happened in
the morning.

When I was a kid, we always had hot water heaters. We had an ice cream
freezer, too, but it wasn't a freezer like a freezer, y'know? And it
didn't freeze it, so we had to put it in the freezer afters anyway.

So maybe that's why.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 2:46?pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "Karen AKA Kajikit" > wrote in messagenews:hjmn13d48j5n4m4tc7db55mkquh06paiko@4ax .com...
>
> > On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 17:01:14 -0400, "Davlo" > wrote:

> >>Can someone explain how you *pre* heat an oven? You either heat it up or
> >>not. You don't Pre-boil a pot of water, or pre-wash some vegetables.
> >>Pre-heat...sheesh, gimme a break.

> > Pre-heating means getting the oven hot BEFORE you put the thing you're
> > baking into it, rather than putting the dish into a cold oven and
> > heating it up slowly. It doesn't make a difference for a lot of things
> > but cakes are very temperature-sensitive. And obviously, if you only
> > want to bake something for ten minutes, it's not going to be ten
> > minutes going into a cold oven or you'll wonder why it's still raw.

> ...and maybe burnt on the bottom, from the element or burner being full-on
> during the preheat period.

Not possible.