Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter A Peter A is offline

Default What exactly is *pre*heating?

In article . com>,
says...
> > Dear Davlo:
> > I see you are getting a nitwit answer(s), trying to make YOU look like
> > the nitwit.
> >
> > However, in newer (I don't know how new) conventional/convection
> > ovens, the answer is:
> >
> > "While in a preheat mode, the convection fan will reach it's target
> > temperature faster."
> >
> > This is different than just pressing or turning a knob to a certain
> > 'bake' temperature.
> > HTH
> >
> > Dee Dee

> I failed to mention also, that when the recipe says to 'preheat the
> oven,' that is an indication that the pan/dish will go into a 'hot
> oven,' as opposed to an oven that has not been heated to temperature.
>
> Dee Dee

It's sad how many people misuse the prefix "pre." It means "before" so
pre-X means before X, as in a pre-nupital agreement. It does not mean
"already done" as it is incorrectly used in pre-peeled, pre-heated, etc.
You can buy peeled carrots or unpeeled carrots. You can bake in a heated
oven.

I am waiting for this to be combined with the misuse of "de" in
"deboned" so that someone will buy boned chicken and call it pre-de-
boned.

--
Peter Aitken